Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saints release TE Coby Fleener [Merge]

Funny, I thought Fleener would reach new heights under Payton & Brees & it just didn't. The partnership in Louisiana I mean. 

Not blaming anybody. I just figured Coby would fit like a glove there. So, much for that idea. Good luck man. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Did we though? Dwayne Allen did very little for us, and is probably on his way out of the league. 

Both of them stunk to be honest.    They looked okay in the beginning but they just didn't live up to what we thought they were capable of.   And for that matter their new teams either.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Both of them stunk to be honest.    They looked okay in the beginning but they just didn't live up to what we thought they were capable of.   And for that matter their new teams either.

I do think Dwayne if it was for his injury problems he would have had a better career. He just couldnt get healthy with us

Just now, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I do think Dwayne if it was for his injury problems he would have had a better career. He just couldnt get healthy with us

His hands weren't very good either amongst other things.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

To be fair fleener had tons of injuries with the saints. Fleener was great with Luck but both Fleener and Allen were terrible when they got new contracts. 

• Like 1

Say what you want Fleener did a very good job his first couple of years here. Him and Allen both led the Colts tied with 8 TDs a piece their rookie years.

Yes it went south but lets not act like he was a bust from day one. I think his head injuries played a part in him not playing well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, TdungyW/12 said:

So DA and CF are no longer playing ..... yeah we kept the wrong TE. 

What’s terrible is we wasted basically a late first round pick on Fleener and late 2nd on Allen. They were adequate when here but we are getting more production out of an UDFA then either of them. Again speaks volumes about Grigsons drafting. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Say what you want Fleener did a very good job his first couple of years here. Him and Allen both led the Colts tied with 8 TDs a piece their rookie years.

Yes it went south but lets not act like he was a bust from day one. I think his head injuries played a part in him not playing well.

They may have played decent but their production was EASILY replaceable in this offense. Those picks were just as much busts as the Chapman pick. I hated taking two TEs that high.

12 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Very few people who post on here could take the physicality of the NFL. Calling them soft from behind a keyboard has always seemed juvenile, or at the very least...uninformed to me. 

What if you said: Softest TE in the NFL when compared to other NFL TE’s?

6 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Funny, I thought Fleener would reach new heights under Payton & Brees & it just didn't. The partnership in Louisiana I mean. 

Not blaming anybody. I just figured Coby would fit like a glove there. So, much for that idea. Good luck man. 

He'll catch on somewhere...if he's not hurt

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

What’s terrible is we wasted basically a late first round pick on Fleener and late 2nd on Allen. They were adequate when here but we are getting more production out of an UDFA then either of them. Again speaks volumes about Grigsons drafting. 

Grigwho?

8 hours ago, TdungyW/12 said:

So DA and CF are no longer playing ..... yeah we kept the wrong TE. 

allen is still with the patriots, his contract actually runs for two more years.  they can now cut him with no dead cap hit but have not done so yet

i think he has a good chance to make the team but its no lock or anything.  if they really didnt like his contract he would be gone already 

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

They may have played decent but their production was EASILY replaceable in this offense. Those picks were just as much busts as the Chapman pick. I hated taking two TEs that high.

If you remember we had no offense at all when we drafted Luck.

At the time we had to have TEs, RBs and WRs.

Reggie had to be talked to coming back.

It's easy to use hind sight and say we should have done this or that but at the time those picks were not bad picks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

allen is still with the patriots, his contract actually runs for two more years.  they can now cut him with no dead cap hit but have not done so yet

i think he has a good chance to make the team but its no lock or anything.  if they really didnt like his contract he would be gone already 

Old dead hands? He’s worthless .... we cut the dead meat .... we got the best out of the 3, and added Ebron. We did the right thing! 

6 hours ago, Flash7 said:

What if you said: Softest TE in the NFL when compared to other NFL TE’s?

Not trying to harp on anyone, thats just the way it comes across to me. That is why I didn't direct quote. It's said by many fans, in hundreds of threads. 

I would call it lack of physicality for the position. But in the end...you are a tough * to play in the NFL. 

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you remember we had no offense at all when we drafted Luck.

At the time we had to have TEs, RBs and WRs.

Reggie had to be talked to coming back.

It's easy to use hind sight and say we should have done this or that but at the time those picks were not bad picks.

It's definitely easy to use hindsight, but I think it's also logical to say that Grigson had no idea what he was doing when it came to the draft. He could of been guessing on every pick to an extent. In fact, his draft record is probably worse than throwing darts at a board and picking what sticks. At the very least, I believe the forum would of only wanted Fleener or Allen, and not both, even without hindsight. I joined in 2014, so I can't say for certain.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's definitely easy to use hindsight, but I think it's also logical to say that Grigson had no idea what he was doing when it came to the draft. He could of been guessing on every pick to an extent. In fact, his draft record is probably worse than throwing darts at a board and picking what sticks. At the very least, I believe the forum would of only wanted Fleener or Allen, and not both, even without hindsight. I joined in 2014, so I can't say for certain.

Grigson won GM of the year that year by picking the picks he made. When he took this team over it had no starting WRs, TEs, QB or RBs. Manning was gone, Addai was gone and so was Clark. Then there was Wayne who also was not here and was talked into coming back. The team was 29 million dollars in cap hades too.

I know things went south with Grigson but saying he didn't know what he was doing his first year is wrong IMO.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Grigson won GM of the year that year by picking the picks he made. When he took this team over it had no starting WRs, TEs, QB or RBs. Manning was gone, Addai was gone and so was Clark. Then there was Wayne who also was not here and was talked into coming back. The team was 29 million dollars in cap hades too.

I know things went south with Grigson but saying he didn't know what he was doing his first year is wrong IMO.

I realize that, but we had a strong veteran core at the time, along with some FA's as well. Luck was in a good spot short term. I think the TY pick was a luck pick for Grigson as he went the exact same route with Dorsett later on with the speed receiver and TJ Green as the speedy S. Hilton just worked out, so he went to the well again, and it failed. Fleener and Allen worked originally, but that was just temporary. It was also irresponsible to take two TE's at the top of the 2nd and 3rd when we were completely rebuilding. That's when we should of starting rebuilding the lines and the defense more, and what separates Ballard from Grigson. Remember, RGIII won rookie QB of the year and is a bust, one year is just that. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I question his numerous concussions. not a bad player for luck's Stanford alumni , but the concussions  is a big red flag

??????????

"I question his numerous concussions..."

What in the world does that mean? 

20 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I realize that, but we had a strong veteran core at the time, along with some FA's as well. Luck was in a good spot short term. I think the TY pick was a luck pick for Grigson as he went the exact same route with Dorsett later on with the speed receiver and TJ Green as the speedy S. Hilton just worked out, so he went to the well again, and it failed. Fleener and Allen worked originally, but that was just temporary. It was also irresponsible to take two TE's at the top of the 2nd and 3rd when we were completely rebuilding. That's when we should of starting rebuilding the lines and the defense more, and what separates Ballard from Grigson. Remember, RGIII won rookie QB of the year and is a bust, one year is just that. 

Hilton was traded for, he was not just a draft pick.

As far as RGIII being the rookie of the year he did not deserve it over Luck IMO. RGIII had a better team around him so it went that way.

The think is Grigson made attempts at building the lines but the drafts were bust and the free agents signed were bust along with injuries taking the toll.

Like I said, Grigson did up being a bust but his first couple of years were pretty solid.