Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First play season 3 WR's on field Hilton, Grant + Cain ?

HOF19

I love the competition. Every spot behind Hilton is up for grabs. Every one of them have their ups and downs so I could see any combination playing out. I'm hoping a rookie steps up big time and gets us a solid #2. Leaning more towards Cain but Fountain has great traits and potential as well

• Like 1

First play will be two TE set with Hilton out wide to the right and Mack and Hines in the backfield.

After getting to the LOS Luck will send Hines to the slot left to pull the CB and OLD out a bit and drop the safety back deep.  

If the safety doesn't not drop back then look for the left TE to run a 10 yard out, the right TE to run a lazy slant to the left to keep the safety within 12 yards of the LOS.  That will leave Hines 1 on 1 with the CB and no deep help.

If the safety does drop back then the key becomes the OLB if he lines up a 2ft to 2 yards outside the left TE then you send Hines on a 8-12 yard hook route and send the left TE up the seam.  Or if the OLB shofts to the above position but the MLB stays head up over the center or to the right of center then you hand off to Mack to run behind AC and Nelson.  If the defense shifts heavy to the left then you mirror the play have have TY one on one with the CB doing a 9, the right TE doing a 10 yard out and the left TE doing a lazy slant to the right.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

First play will be two TE set with Hilton out wide to the right and Mack and Hines in the backfield.

After getting to the LOS Luck will send Hines to the slot left to pull the CB and OLD out a bit and drop the safety back deep.  

If the safety doesn't not drop back then look for the left TE to run a 10 yard out, the right TE to run a lazy slant to the left to keep the safety within 12 yards of the LOS.  That will leave Hines 1 on 1 with the CB and no deep help.

If the safety does drop back then the key becomes the OLB if he lines up a 2ft to 2 yards outside the left TE then you send Hines on a 8-12 yard hook route and send the left TE up the seam.  Or if the OLB shofts to the above position but the MLB stays head up over the center or to the right of center then you hand off to Mack to run behind AC and Nelson.  If the defense shifts heavy to the left then you mirror the play have have TY one on one with the CB doing a 9, the right TE doing a 10 yard out and the left TE doing a lazy slant to the right.

:worthy:

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I think we'll see a lot of Ebron out of the slot in the beginning.

Detroit moved him around a lot.  He would line up in the slot, out wide, as an HBack, and then TE.  So I believe you are very correct with this statement.

8 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I sure hope, small school but great skill set, This "could" be an elite offense 

With Andrew back, every WR will instantly be better. The O-line has the potential for dominance (emphasize potential). This offense will keep the Colts in contention. If the 4-3 gels at all the Colts could be pretty darn good late in the season. 

• Like 2

If Cain or Fountain can develop early, then Hilton will be in the slot more. He routinely beats outside CBs, so he'd feast on nickel backs. I doubt we run many 3 WR sets though. You're more likely to see a 2 WR, 2 TE set. In that case you'd probably want Grant or Rogers in the slot with Hilton out wide. But that's why I hop Cain and Fountain learn quick. Imagine putting Hilton in the slot and then having Cain on the outside. You have to either double or put the best CB on the field on Hilton. That means you'd create a favorable matchup with your other receivers. You could also put him in motion and move the CB's to his side of the field and open up the other side of the field. I'm tempted to start listing potential plays we could run with all our new offensive weapons, but I'd be here forever lol.

My bets are on TY and Ryan Grant on the outside and multiple TEs on the inside or Rogers on the inside. Fountain and Cain would come in for a few selective plays and eased in and TY may go inside selectively as well.