Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster update - Improvement ?

MikeCurtis

Exciting draft

It would appear that we are making progress

We go into this year with some exciting prospects, and a retooled team from last year

I peg us at an 8-8 season for next year, which is a significant improvement 

The fan in me wants immediate gratification, as I want to take a swing at the Super Bowl each and every year

I need to be more patient.........  (in all areas of my life)

The reality is, we are still some open spots away from competing with the top talent in the NFL

Spots to improve, and spots that we MAY (Probably not) pick up BEFORE the season in trade / FA

SS - I am not sold that we have a difference maker at SS. The strong defenses in the history of the NFL, always seemed to have an excellent

strong safety. I can remember the games that Bob Sanders was injured (many) We took 20 steps back. Same for this team.

This defense needs a thumper at the safety spot that can play run/pass equally well

We are thin with current roster. We will probably add depth, and then next year, hopefully there is a differnce maker at S to draft

CB - If someone is made available, THAT FITS THIS DEFENSE, I could see us bringing them in to go accross from Quincy

to either start or add depth

LB - We have a few late draftees, but im a bit concerned with the LB crew depth. We can pull 2 starters from current roster/draft, but SSLB ?

I think we need some help here

Currently, we are in trouble if an injury occurs to a starter in any of these areas

Last year we picked up people off the street, not on the roster..... AND STARTED THEM

If we have injuries.... it WILL happen, unfortunately

my 2cents

Deano

• Like 1

If geathers can play at 100% this year at SS then I think there is no need to worry. I believe at completely healthy he could be in the upper echelon of SS in the league. 

Corner for sure needs help

MLB I'm actually a tad more comfortable. I expect much im provment and a solid starter from Anthony Walker, we also drafted Leonard in the second and expect him to start alongside of Walker plus a decent amount of depth behind the two

• Like 1

Gotta laugh
Here are the Good players that we can count on next season

TY, Castonzo, Nelson, Kelly, Doyle, Ebron, Slauson/Smith, Sheard. Woods, Autry?
 Oh ya, we have some work to do catching to the competition.
8-8 is Unreasonably Optimistic. 5-11

22 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gotta laugh

With Luck we are easily 10-6. Strong line play, 12-4. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gotta laugh

Stupidity as usual TBBZ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's a reason Bill Polian said 8-8 would win Frank Reich coach of the year. The roster is still deficient. It is still devoid of proven players at almost every level. The improved O-line will make the offense better as a whole but the success and failure of this team will still depend on outstanding play from the QB. It's a rebuild folks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

There's a reason Bill Polian said 8-8 would win Frank Reich coach of the year. The roster is still deficient. It is still devoid of proven players at almost every level. The improved O-line will make the offense better as a whole but the success and failure of this team will still depend on outstanding play from the QB. It's a rebuild folks.

Yeah, but I think there might be a good chance of the team overachieving a bit and could reach 8-8. More than that is being too optimistic in my book. Still, I think it will be a nice year to follow the Colts as they start to ascend.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Yeah, but I think there might be a good chance of the team overachieving a bit and could reach 8-8. More than that is being too optimistic in my book. Still, I think it will be a nice year to follow the Colts as they start to ascend.

I tend to agree, but only if Luck is back fully healthy, slinging it around like his old self and making everyone around him better. As of right now, that is still a question mark. If he's rusty or not healthy, the roster is not setup to succeed quite yet.

• Like 2

On paper this team has improved greatly. But on the field that is yet to be determined. It all comes down to Andrew Luck and number 2 how hungry the new guys are.  If these guys come in Hungry and ready to put in the work.  The win lost record might surprize the NFL. But if the new guys come in lazy and entitled this will be another long year.  The Colts first round pick strikes me as a Guard that is ready to put in the work.  Andrew Luck has proven that he's a pro bowl type QB, I just hope he's healthy.  I hope Reggie Wayne can get thru to the new WRs.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gotta laugh

I am looking at it from a stand point that we were very bad last year, and we should have some improvement

- We had a lead in the second half of 6 games, that we lost

- We had weak coaching with poor decisions

- We had ONE active WR

- We played a 1 yr QB, thrown in with no camp

- We had an extremely poor offensive line. 3 of the 5 normal starters, couldnt even make the 

roster of most NFL teams....... and they were our BEST

- We had no Luck....... (In both ways :) )

This team should be better...... not a playoff team..... but better

If your "optimism" is 5 games......... wow

I guess we will agree to disagree.... on our opinion

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I am looking at it from a stand point that we were very bad last year, and we should have some improvement

- We had a lead in the second half of 6 games, that we lost

- We had weak coaching with poor decisions

- We had ONE active WR

- We played a 1 yr QB, thrown in with no camp

- We had an extremely poor offensive line. 3 of the 5 normal starters, couldnt even make the 

roster of most NFL teams....... and they were our BEST

- We had no Luck....... (In both ways :) )

This team should be better...... not a playoff team..... but better

If your "optimism" is 5 games......... wow

I guess we will agree to disagree.... on our opinion

Very true, but wasting your time, unfortunately.  Some posters negativity is clearly unchangeable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gotta laugh

The Colts blew 7 4th quarter leads last year and finished 4-12 with an ultra conservative coaching staff that was as predictable as a Pop Warner team....

And you think they'll win only 1 more game with thier Pro Bowl QB back and a lot more young talent infused into the roster?

Andrew Luck is worth 5 wins all by himself at the very least.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HectorRoberts said:

I know our secondary looks pretty bad at at the moment but with hooker back there desir and Wilson are going to look like pro-bowlers

A good predictor of on field talent for CBs has been the 3-Cone Drill. "For defensive backs, a position that constantly requires reacting to offensive players, the ability to sink, bend and cut laterally is crucial." (NFL.com)

We have 10 on the roster currently, care to guess who ran a sub 7.00 time (which is the indicator that they have the hips/ankles to move smoothly)?

Wilson 

Desir

Moore

Hairston

Acker

We saw Wilson, Desir and Moore (when Desir went down) show very well for themselves as boundary corners and Hairston (outside of one game) had a heckuva rookie campaign in the slot.

Acker is the wild card as he had a strong junior and senior season in college. Was IR'das a rookie and then had another solid year with the 49ers prior to the trade to the Chiefs (where I don't think he was a good fit). 

The fact that the 5 most talented corners on the roster share that same trait cannot be overlooked - from an anslytics perspective! In my eyes we are not in as dire straights as most think - hence CB never batted an eye at any of the top corners this year.

• Like 2

8-8 is a very optimistic record we have to many question marks.

1. Andrew Lucks health.

2. No PROVEN running back.

3. Wide receivers we, only have one PROVEN receiver.

4. Tightends I think we’re fine.

5. Offensive line we only have 2 PROVEN starters and maybe starting 2 rookie guards and still don’t know who our right tackle is.

6. D- tackles don’t know who we have that are going to fit the up the field penetration scheme.  Maybe Ridgeway.

7. D- ends no PROVEN one. A lot of potential, but no standout PROVEN one.

8. Linebackers maybe starting at least 2 rookies.

9. Safety’s health concerns here.

10. Corners no standout PROVEN talent here.

IF everything falls into place 8-8 would be a good record.  But until then we have to many UNPROVENS.

• Like 2

I don't think 8-8 is "unreasonably optimistic" as the earlier poster put it, but I also don't think 5-11 is unrealistic. 

I think when we see the odds released for this season(I haven't seen official ones yet)... that the over/under for wins if Luck is healthy will be 7.

I think it's possible we do better than 8-8, but I think expecting that (or more) is setting yourself up for disappointment. 8-8 would be a solid season at this point, especially if we seen a lot of young players develop. 

• Like 1

It's hard to say how competitive we will be until more is known about Luck and if and when he is returning. If he plays all 16 games at 100% health, We can easily compete with every team on the schedule and come out anywhere from      8-8 to 12-4 i think. 

Without Luck our rosters true colors will shine brightly and it becomes quite evident that our team as a whole is quite far behind the good rosters in the league (see last season). Anywhere from 8-8 to 2-14

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

You never know another team of Indiana (Pacers) was marked as bottom feeders and were suppose to win max 30 games, and people mad at trade. Look what happen to that media ate their words. They gave run to LeBron and his cavs. So, I am very positive that this colts team can win more or less any given Sunday. Let's hope for the best :rock:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Geathers is highly overrated on this board

I somewhat agree

He has had some good moments, but I dont see the consistent player that we need at SS

I hope I am wrong, and he can develop into a star.... but IMHO he hasnt crossed into that space

and is more unproven vs proven 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gotta laugh

Well, see if your wrong Mr. negative and I think you are. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gotta laugh

If luck is healthy,  8-8 is the floor this year

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Exciting draft

It would appear that we are making progress

We go into this year with some exciting prospects, and a retooled team from last year

I peg us at an 8-8 season for next year, which is a significant improvement 

The fan in me wants immediate gratification, as I want to take a swing at the Super Bowl each and every year

I need to be more patient.........  (in all areas of my life)

The reality is, we are still some open spots away from competing with the top talent in the NFL

Spots to improve, and spots that we MAY (Probably not) pick up BEFORE the season in trade / FA

SS - I am not sold that we have a difference maker at SS. The strong defenses in the history of the NFL, always seemed to have an excellent

strong safety. I can remember the games that Bob Sanders was injured (many) We took 20 steps back. Same for this team.

This defense needs a thumper at the safety spot that can play run/pass equally well

We are thin with current roster. We will probably add depth, and then next year, hopefully there is a differnce maker at S to draft

CB - If someone is made available, THAT FITS THIS DEFENSE, I could see us bringing them in to go accross from Quincy

to either start or add depth

LB - We have a few late draftees, but im a bit concerned with the LB crew depth. We can pull 2 starters from current roster/draft, but SSLB ?

I think we need some help here

Currently, we are in trouble if an injury occurs to a starter in any of these areas

Last year we picked up people off the street, not on the roster..... AND STARTED THEM

If we have injuries.... it WILL happen, unfortunately

my 2cents

Deano

Yes!   Have to remember rookies take a couple of years (Receivers usually 3) before knowing what you’ve got 

4 hours ago, 4192480 said:

8-8 is a very optimistic record we have to many question marks.

1. Andrew Lucks health.

2. No PROVEN running back.

3. Wide receivers we, only have one PROVEN receiver.

4. Tightends I think we’re fine.

5. Offensive line we only have 2 PROVEN starters and maybe starting 2 rookie guards and still don’t know who our right tackle is.

6. D- tackles don’t know who we have that are going to fit the up the field penetration scheme.  Maybe Ridgeway.

7. D- ends no PROVEN one. A lot of potential, but no standout PROVEN one.

8. Linebackers maybe starting at least 2 rookies.

9. Safety’s health concerns here.

10. Corners no standout PROVEN talent here.

IF everything falls into place 8-8 would be a good record.  But until then we have to many UNPROVENS.

If Luck is the QB this team could surprise and 500 isn't being optimistic. .Has he ever been under .500? We have all summer to answer questions. We don't have nearly as many as you think.  I'll get you caught up.

2. Turbin a top short yardage back in NFL/ good pass blocking. Mack proved he has NFL speed 3. Ryan Grant would disagree w/nearly 100 receptionss. 5. We upgraded the interior of the line camp battle at RT. The line is improved. 6. Woods Ridgeway and last year Stewart was drafted with the switch in mind. We have sub package rushers  7 Sheard is a DE  8. Leonard is the only rookie who I thinks has a shot to start on D. I think our LB's are Goode-M Leonard-W George-S. 10 Our young corners and Desir showed they can play last year We are ok at CB 

We have added more young fast players to both sides of the ball. You might not know them but that doesn't mean they can't play. The O is going to be better this year. We have better players I think that's obvious. The new coaches with new schemes should make things easier. The biggest question marks we have are the health of Luck and Hooker.  Ballard will continue to work between now and September to improve our roster. There will be vets available if we choose to go that way but that's not always the best way 

• Like 1

We only needed a thumpber at SS because our front seven parted like the Red Sea. Those Tampa defenses and those bears defenses did not have great ss's that I can recall. Their front 7 were great

• Like 1

Dungy tried to replicate his Bucs defense as well as he could but we never had the interior dline they had, we also had nobody comparable to Nickerson at MIKE and Derrick Brooks at WILL.

Bob Sanders and John Lynch were a wash during Sanders healthy years...

On the flipside they never had Freeney and Mathis either...

Compared to the Bears Urlacher and Briggs were better than anything we ever fielded and thier interior lineman were stout against the run as well....

But they didn't have a Freeney and Mathis either....

My only knock during that era on Polian was getting too cute at the DT/UT positions with the likes of.....Brad Scioli.....Raheem Brock....Montae Reagor.....Josh Williams......Josh Thomas......Darrell Reid......Keyunta Dawson.....Eric Foster.....Daniel Muir.....Fili Moala

Common theme.....undersized and lacking in talent - with the exception of Brock who should be how the Raiders used Autry, aka designated interior rusher in passing downs instead of an every down lineman.

The ONLY time our defense was passable was when we had a healthy Cory Simon for like a year and the SB run with a healthy Booger.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gotta laugh

4 - 12

We've improved.... and even if it's a bunch of rookies and a new staff transitioning in... if Luck plays the full season at his full level of ability I think we can win 10 games a grab a wild card.

If we have to roll with Brisette for all or most of the season...then I'd be happy with an 8-8 season and I think it's entirely realistic. :coltshelmet:

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

If Luck is the QB this team could surprise and 500 isn't being optimistic. .Has he ever been under .500? We have all summer to answer questions. We don't have nearly as many as you think.  I'll get you caught up.

2. Turbin a top short yardage back in NFL/ good pass blocking. Mack proved he has NFL speed 3. Ryan Grant would disagree w/nearly 100 receptionss. 5. We upgraded the interior of the line camp battle at RT. The line is improved. 6. Woods Ridgeway and last year Stewart was drafted with the switch in mind. We have sub package rushers  7 Sheard is a DE  8. Leonard is the only rookie who I thinks has a shot to start on D. I think our LB's are Goode-M Leonard-W George-S. 10 Our young corners and Desir showed they can play last year We are ok at CB 

We have added more young fast players to both sides of the ball. You might not know them but that doesn't mean they can't play. The O is going to be better this year. We have better players I think that's obvious. The new coaches with new schemes should make things easier. The biggest question marks we have are the health of Luck and Hooker.  Ballard will continue to work between now and September to improve our roster. There will be vets available if we choose to go that way but that's not always the best way 

It all looks good on paper.  I truly hope everything pans out, but for me just to many question marks.  You’re right we’ll know more throughout the summer.

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Dungy tried to replicate his Bucs defense as well as he could but we never had the interior dline they had, we also had nobody comparable to Nickerson at MIKE and Derrick Brooks at WILL.

Bob Sanders and John Lynch were a wash during Sanders healthy years...

On the flipside they never had Freeney and Mathis either...

Compared to the Bears Urlacher and Briggs were better than anything we ever fielded and thier interior lineman were stout against the run as well....

But they didn't have a Freeney and Mathis either....

My only knock during that era on Polian was getting too cute at the DT/UT positions with the likes of.....Brad Scioli.....Raheem Brock....Montae Reagor.....Josh Williams......Josh Thomas......Darrell Reid......Keyunta Dawson.....Eric Foster.....Daniel Muir.....Fili Moala

Common theme.....undersized and lacking in talent - with the exception of Brock who should be how the Raiders used Autry, aka designated interior rusher in passing downs instead of an every down lineman.

The ONLY time our defense was passable was when we had a healthy Cory Simon for like a year and the SB run with a healthy Booger.

How can you not mention the great Sweat Pea Burns heh. I really wish Simon didn't get injured then balloon up like a beached whale. We never did get to see him and Booger together. 

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

How can you not mention the great Sweat Pea Burns heh. I really wish Simon didn't get injured then balloon up like a beached whale. We never did get to see him and Booger together. 

Sweat Pea.....damn, how could I forget him!??! Ha! Add him to the list of "misses"......

• Haha 1

I will be interested in seeing a combo of Sheard/Basham/Simon/Turay on the outside with Autry and Lewis on the inside get after the QB on obvious passing downs....I feel like each of them could get between 5-8 sacks apiece and our pass rush will be much more consistent in pushing the pocket, pressures, hits, fumbles, batted balls, hurried throws and of course interceptions as a by product.

18 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gotta laugh

Luck no good? 

:(

19 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gotta laugh

If Luck comes back as well as he was before his injury that put him out for a season and a half (and that’s a huge real question mark) there is no way this team doesn’t go at the very least 9-7 and quite honestly, with this schedule, we could pull out an 11-5 record. Everything this team can be 100% hinges on a Healthy Luck no doubt about it. Everything else we have on this team, with the real Luck playing, gives this team the chance to see 11-5 because we’ve seen worse teams on the field and we played up to a championship game opportunity. 

Ill call you out as a great poster with knowledge if we hit 5-11 or worse this season. 

• Like 1