Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roethlisberger not happy with Rudolph pick

Shive

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/ben-roethlisberger-surprised-steelers-took-qb-draft

Ben Roethlisberger was on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh and made it clear how he felt about them drafting Mason Rudolph in the 3rd round.

"I was surprised they took a QB because I thought maybe in the 3rd round you can get some really good players that can help this team win now." said Roethlisberger. "Nothing against Mason I think he is a great player. I don't know him personally but I'm sure he is a great kid,” said Roethlisberger. “I just don’t know how backing up or being the third, who knows where he’s going to fall in the depth chart but helps us win now but that’s not my decision to make that’s all the coaches and the GM and owner . . . if they feel like he can help our team, so be it but I was a little surprised.”

My big issue with this is that he says he may play for another 3-5 years, but every offseason is "mulling retirement". If I'm the Steelers, I'm making sure I have a succession plan in place for when Ben hangs up the cleats.

Also mentioned is this from Rudolph prior to Ben's interview:

“It’s not Ben’s job to teach me anything, it’s my job to learn and that’s the way I’m going to look at it. Obviously you’re sitting behind an unbelievable player and a good dude.”

Ben's comment on that:

“I don’t think I’ll need to now that he said he doesn’t need me” (said with a smile)

Roethlisberger says he has helped Landry Jones and Josh Dobbs in the past but the first thing he does every season is get himself prepared.

"As far as I know I'm still the starting QB," Roethlisberger said. "I need to get myself ready to play that is the top priority."

Roethlisberger says he’ll be happy to answer any questions that Rudolph has but expects Jones to prepare him the most.

“The backup quarterback’s role is one, to get the starter ready but two, make sure that he’s ready to go to but he has kind of accepted a role of also helping the young guys way more then I kind of had to. Maybe he’s done that to take it off of my plate a little bit because he understands the preparation that I need to have for myself,” said Roethlisberger.

On last year's 4th round pick QB Josh Dobbs:

“Last year he’s taken in the fourth round so does that mean the Steelers . . . screw up with that pick? . . . Has he not developed the way that they thought? Why else would you take a quarterback in the third round next year?”

Acting very childish about the whole situation IMO, obviously the Steelers organization has to look out for their future, and with Ben "mulling" retirement every offseason it seems, is anybody except Ben surprised?

He should grow up and realize it's a business. Some of his comments like 

"Rudolph won't see action for 3-5 years when i am done" and 

"How does drafting Rudolph help us win now".....childish at best

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Acting very childish about the whole situation IMO, obviously the Steelers organization has to look out for their future, and with Ben "mulling" retirement every offseason it seems, is anybody except Ben surprised?

He should grow up and realize it's a business.

I just suddenly had a thought. What if Tom Brady was pressuring New England to do this very exact thing? The only difference is Tom Brady got his way! It seems odd New England seems content to ride out their current QB roster.

11 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I just suddenly had a thought. What if Tom Brady was pressuring New England to do this very exact thing? The only difference is Tom Brady got his way! It seems odd New England seems content to ride out their current QB roster.

Yea i had posted a few months back about how i thought something had to have happened in that building for the Pats to trade another 10 years of winning away for draft picks. One of the Pats faithful who visit this forum replied with "Brady get's whatever he wants from Kraft" or if your in to conspiracy theories the NFL doesn't want the Pats winning for another 10 years, which to me is a load of horse **. I think Brady just get's his way lol

Just out of curiosity did Peyton Manning do much to prepare the Colts back ups while he was here?

I have heard in the past that he did very little and wouldn't let none of them take any practice or reps with the starting unit.

Maybe the only difference is Peyton would never say anything public about it while Ben is more than willing to flap his gums?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just out of curiosity did Peyton Manning do much to prepare the Colts back ups while he was here?

I have heard in the past that he did very little and wouldn't let none of them take any practice or reps with the starting unit.

Maybe the only difference is Peyton would never say anything public about it while Ben is more than willing to flap his gums?

Exactly!!! Ben has been flapping his gums more and more the last few years, about coaches, about play calling, and now about draft selections. He is a drama queen. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

He should grow up and realize it's a business. Some of his comments like 

"Rudolph won't see action for 3-5 years when i am done" and 

"How does drafting Rudolph help us win now".....childish at best

Truth.  He contemplates retirement every offseason, so the Steelers make a move with the future of the franchise in mind and now he says he'll play about 3-5 years.  He's being a baby about this whole thing

• Like 2

That's exactly the thing, he is always considering retirement every offseason so clearly he doesn't have quite the passion for football he once had.  And that's ok. . . but don't get mad when the Steelers draft a possible replacement for you.

• Like 1

#1 You're getting old Ben

#2 Ya think you threatning retirment on multiple occasions has anything to do with it?

#3 You can't even run like you used to.  When you attempt to do so it looks like your knees are locking up on you.

It's pretty obvious why they drafted someone else Ben.

• Like 1

Did he not notice that he gets injured almost EVERY season?  And when he's injured, the Steelers tend to LOSE games.  Having a good backup is getting to be pretty important in the NFL these days.  The Eagles were only able to win a super bowl because of the stellar play of their backup.

Seems odd this is coming from a long time veteran. What benefit is he reaping from sounding off on this subject?  Is he thinking of himself over the welfare of the team? What other positions/players don't meet up with his demands? Could be he is going through the "We can't beat New England in critical games" syndrome like the Colts lived through for so many years?

The Steelers are all a bunch of overrated crybabies. Ben's not exactly some rotten apple of a bunch here. How they keep winning every year is beyond me because all the do is pout and cry. 

As for this lone situation, surely a bunch of Peyton Manning fans can appreciate a guy not wanting to just give up his job. As a Favre fan I know I can. The difference is they didn't pout and cry and whine about it all in the meantime. Heck Ben pouted after he got his butt kicked 1 game last year that we all remember. That's pee wee football level diva stuff righ there.