Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doesn't It Feel Wonderful?

Dark Superman

Definitely have hope now.

Our squad deteriorated at the end of the last regime.

Hoping Ballard hits on these picks. Reich I'm digging early on. Kind of has some Dungy chillness about him.

• Like 2

We have a quite a ways to go before saying we are contenders. We still have a couple of holes that I think exist before we can really say anything about contending. 1) Elite pass rusher 2) better than average running game 3) a healthy Andrew Luck.

• Like 3

I am encouraged by the mantra and acumen, but not sold on the talent assessment, for me that is wait and see...but we were the NFL welcome mat last year. We are not yet the killer bee's but I am hoping for at least a "pesky mosquito's " outcome this season.

• Like 1

Pros:

1) Return of Andrew Luck.

2) Good GM, coach, and scheme/strategy.

3) OL seems to be a position of strength for a change.

4) Better team speed and depth at RB, TE, LB, WR

5) Schedule is favorable from the start with vs Cincinnati and @Washington. 

6) Colts play better as underdogs. 

Cons

1) CB position is the weakest unit on team. 

2) Team speed on D is better, but pass rush is worrisome

3) Talent at DT. (Probably going to be the focus for 2019 draft). 

4) AFC South is a tough division. 

5) This is probably our last season with K Adam Vinitieri. 

Early forecast prediction: 8-8

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

We have a quite a ways to go before saying we are contenders. We still have a couple of holes that I think exist before we can really say anything about contending. 1) Elite pass rusher 2) better than average running game 3) a healthy Andrew Luck.

Not to mention a whole new coaching staff? Not much is talked about that and I have seen comments about how it's going to be so much better. Maybe, maybe not. We haven't a clue about how the coaches will do.

I don't worry much about Frank Reich, but the rest of the coaches and coordinators are suspect till they show they can teach the final 53 how to win games.

I have even heard it couldn't be worse that what we had. Really? Once again maybe, maybe not.

1 hour ago, Jaredfor3 said:

Pros:

Cons

I can agree with much of this post. I will say however, the DT spot is the least of my worries on the team. I think everyone on this board (pretty much) can agree that 100% of the teams success is dependent on Luck returning as a healthy passer and shaking off the rust quickly. After that, my list of positives and negatives are this

strengths to weakness

1. TE’s

2. Safety

3. Oline (appears to be) 

4. K

5. P

6. DT

7. RB

8. WR

9. CB

10. DE 

11. LB

once we get to the RB spot and down, we have one solid piece into it such as Mack, TY, Wilson and then who is going to apply the pressure from the DE and LB spot and will we have the lb’er to cover the rb or TE over the middle for a change? The oline at least appears to only have a question mark (on paper) over the RT position and that uncertainty will be a welcome change from the seasons of past where we didn’t know 3-4 of the positions being solid on that line. 

Scheme will be a huge change for the success in offense and can a first time set of HC, OC and DC make solid game plans against teams with proven track record coaches and superior players opposite of them? While we have added several new players with lots of upside, nobody knows what we have until at least the first time they practice in a meaningful way against competition. I’m moderately excited though. 

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not to throw a fly in the ointment but this kind of talk is exactly what was said the first couple of years in the Grigson/Pagano era.

Maybe it would be safe to wait and see how this works out before crowning champions??

Don't get me wrong as I truly like what is going on but let's not fool ourselves into counting the chickens before they are hatched.

I think it's because the previous regime stomped on our chickens we're excited... lol

• Haha 1

This excitement should begin and end with the health of 12.

A while back someone wrote an article on how teams futures looked, and they had the Texans ahead of us.  Yes, they had/have a better team talent wise. 

But I disagreed.  The future of your team is based on your QB.  The Texans are a perfect example.  With Watson, they were awesome.  Without him, they were pitiful. 

With Luck, our future is bright.  Without him, we're not going to be SB contenders, I don't care how well Ballard build the team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Things would not be going this smoothly out of the gate with McDaniels. He would have wanted a lot of say in personnel with Ballard (not that Reich didn't have a lot of input from everything that has been said) but would have likely pouted if he hadn't gotten his way. 

I really look forward to Andrew coming back and having all day to throw. Speed across the board on offense and Frank having a heyday picking apart defenses... solely because I'll know McDaniels will be sitting in his little New England cottage watching and wondering what the Hell he did. 

3 hours ago, Jaredfor3 said:

Pros:

7) Drive, excitement and competition at most positions

Cons

6) New rookie coaching staff.

3 hours ago, Jaredfor3 said:

Good stuff.   I still have hopes of CJ Anderson joining the club. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaredfor3 said:

Pros:

Cons

A nice assessment overall.  But I don't think CB is the weakest unit on the team.  Ballard didn't resign Melvin and he chose not to address it in the draft.  To me that says Ballard didn't see it as a top priority and he has confidence in the players he has.   What he did see as top priorities were OL, LB, and WR which he addressed in the draft.  Hopefully he was successful in shoring up those units.  Personally I'm not really worried about CB. 

Good point, OP. I haven’t appreciated this enough. Reich and Ballard mesh so well it’s hard to imagine what could have been with McDaniels. Let alone to look back at Pags and Grigson and all that disfunction. 

Everyone on this board knows how many 4th qtr losses we had last year. Even being on the safe side, I don’t think we’ll do any worse than 4 wins....

Surely....Hopefully.... haha 

5 hours ago, Jaredfor3 said:

Pros:

Cons

DT DT DT. I hope we could tread until DT help comes because more than DB weakness I truly believe DT is the biggest issue on this team right now. Stopping the run will be an issue against teams i.e. Pitts/Pats/Jags. And AV is like 140 y/o so Kicker will have to be addressed in the near future as well.

5 hours ago, Crunked said:

I am encouraged by the mantra and acumen, but not sold on the talent assessment, for me that is wait and see...but we were the NFL welcome mat last year. We are not yet the killer bee's but I am hoping for at least a "pesky mosquito's " outcome this season.

great post 

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

It does feel wonderful. Especially that we don't have to look at this every week: 

image.png.b7654d8b53c630a550e4a0a76e5337c5.png

We dodged a bullet with hiring McFlakey. He is an excellent offensive 

coordinator but is a lousy leader of men as a head coach. Reich's offensive 

system is on par with McFlakey's judging by the last superbowl.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not to throw a fly in the ointment but this kind of talk is exactly what was said the first couple of years in the Grigson/Pagano era.

Maybe it would be safe to wait and see how this works out before crowning champions??

Don't get me wrong as I truly like what is going on but let's not fool ourselves into counting the chickens before they are hatched.

Th OP didn't crown anyone. They said "If". What is wrong with being excited about the way the coach and GM interact with one another? They are far more open and honest about actual football speak than the former pair were. 

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

According to the forum the chickens have been counted then hatched .... and are sitting underneath a heat light at KFC! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Th OP didn't crown anyone. They said "If". What is wrong with being excited about the way the coach and GM interact with one another? They are far more open and honest about actual football speak than the former pair were. 

My point was not said in an argumentative way. It was a general comment made about something we all should be aware of.

It wasn't even aimed at the OP.

I even said I was happy with what was going on so I don't understand where you are coming from as far as even bringing the OP up?

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

My point was not said in an argumentative way. It was a general comment made about something we all should be aware of.

It wasn't even aimed at the OP.

I even said I was happy with what was going on so I don't understand where you are coming from as far as even bringing the OP up?

True. As I look back on every post before yours, no one crowned them champions, which you alluded to. Not actually sure who you were referring to. 

The roster still needs alot of work but Ballard has us going in the right direction.

In fairness on offense, we have most pieces and Im very much looking forward to seeing Luck in Reich's up tempo offense. I think we are only short a hard running RB, a big bodied WR2 and an RT. Im hoping Goid or Haeg can make it at RT. I like Grant and Cain but I feel they are more WR3 options. I think though with Luck, he will get the best out of them. We have quality TE options. Overall I think this offense can be top 10 in terms of production with a fit and well protected Luck.

There's quite alot of work to do on D. I expect Ballard to continue to invest alot of draft capital on the dline next year (possibly round 1 given the talent that could declare for next year's draft). CB and LB we are thin on the ground for sure. We could really do with some young players becoming good starter, my hopes are for Walker Jr. and Wilson to have good years.

I think next year Ballard invests hard on defense next year, not so much offense. We could have a good defense draft class so that would be helpful.

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

True. As I look back on every post before yours, no one crowned them champions, which you alluded to. Not actually sure who you were referring to. 

All it was was a general comment with a figure of speech. I curb my expectations because of the multiple issues the Colts have.

That's all, no more no less.