Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kenric Young - CB - Utah

This tweet from Gil Brandt:

"32 teams were at @Utah_Football pro day today. One non-combine invite with a post-draft FA grade: CB Kenric Young (6-0, 189) ran 40 in 4.40/4.40, 4.38 shuttle, 6.93 cone."

As well as this tweet from Holder:

"Here’s a prospect I’ve been told to watch for at next week’s Colts rookie camp: CB Kenric Young, Utah. 6-0, 189, 4.36 40-yard dash. Colts typically wind up signing multiple tryout candidates, so stay tuned. Obviously they did not draft a corner this year."

Found this recent interview with him

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2018/04/29/exclusive-interview-with-colts-minicamp-invitee-kenric-young/

Ordinarily I wouldn't bat an eye about a player with his background, but, when Gil Brandt gives a player a grade I listen....

There isn't much info out there on him outside of an assault charge in 2016 and only 9 tackles and 1 interception this year.....

Anyone seen or heard anything else about him?

• Like 1

While its always best to get a superior athlete over a not-superior athlete, I have a bit of concern when Ballard implies that athletics are premium consideration, and that the rest can be coached up. (thinking more about some of the draft picks maybe and not this UDFA)

Can tackling, at least willingness to tackle, be taught?  Instincts, play speed, and pattern recognition?

It reminds me of the era when baseball outfielders were judged by how much footspeed they had, and less about how quickly they judged the flight path of the ball as it left the bat.  Nobody can run down a baseball.

A half-step head start and proper angle judgment trumps a half-second quicker 40 time and pure drill quickness.  IMO, he was undrafted for a reason and I assume he had reasonable coaches in college.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

While its always best to get a superior athlete over a not-superior athlete, I have a bit of concern when Ballard implies that athletics are premium consideration, and that the rest can be coached up. (thinking more about some of the draft picks maybe and not this UDFA)

Can tackling, at least willingness to tackle, be taught?  Instincts, play speed, and pattern recognition?

It reminds me of the era when baseball outfielders were judged by how much footspeed they had, and less about how quickly they judged the flight path of the ball as it left the bat.  Nobody can run down a baseball.

A half-step head start and proper angle judgment trumps a half-second quicker 40 time and pure drill quickness.  IMO, he was undrafted for a reason and I assume he had reasonable coaches in college.

So someone makes a post about an interesting free agent acquisition and somehow it gets turned into an anti-Ballard rant based on WHAT, I have no idea?   I would think this is --- at best --- a complete misrepresentation of any views Ballard has expressed...

Maybe Ballard has to look around for any information Grigson may have left behind on how to spot a talented football player...

Where does this come from?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

"32 teams were at @Utah_Football pro day today. One non-combine invite with a post-draft FA grade: CB Kenric Young (6-0, 189) ran 40 in 4.40/4.40, 4.38 shuttle, 6.93 cone."

"Here’s a prospect I’ve been told to watch for at next week’s Colts rookie camp: CB Kenric Young, Utah. 6-0, 189, 4.36 40-yard dash. Colts typically wind up signing multiple tryout candidates, so stay tuned. Obviously they did not draft a corner this year."

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2018/04/29/exclusive-interview-with-colts-minicamp-invitee-kenric-young/

Ordinarily I wouldn't bat an eye about a player with his background, but, when Gil Brandt gives a player a grade I listen....

There isn't much info out there on him outside of an assault charge in 2016 and only 9 tackles and 1 interception this year.....

Nice find, Scott...   

I know nothing about Young...   but I do know this...    Utah is a really solid football program...   they get a lot out of a roster that is generally not blessed with a ton of talent.  

The Utah program and the Stanford program have a lot in common...   the kids play hard and smart.   Do a lot of that on the college level and you're going to win more games than you lose...

I'm pleased to see we grabbed Young...   he'll be worth watching...   maybe we get lucky and he turns into something.... Perhaps a practice squad guy...?

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So someone makes a post about an interesting free agent acquisition and somehow it gets turned into an anti-Ballard rant based on WHAT, I have no idea?   I would think this is --- at best --- a complete misrepresentation of any views Ballard has expressed...

Maybe Ballard has to look around for any information Grigson may have left behind on how to spot a talented football player...

I read it on an internet news site.  It must be fake.

BTW, its 9:50 pm here.  Judging from the overly dramatic reaction to my post, it must still be happy hour for the bars in the Pacific Time Zone?

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I read it on an internet news site.  It must be fake.

BTW, its 9:50 pm here.  Judging from the overly dramatic reaction to my post, it must still be happy hour in bars in the Pacific Time Zone?

That would be an especially snappy retort for you except one small thing...

I don't drink.   Ever.   Never been drunk once. 

Oh...   and you read it on the internet?   Then it must be true!    Congratulations!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I knew you'd be here! Before I even got halfway through Dougs post I knew you'd be the first one on this. You said the same thing I was thinking. Carry on! LOL

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, krunk said:

I knew you'd be here! Before I even got halfway through Dougs post I knew you'd be the first one on this. You said the same thing I was thinking. Carry on! LOL

Am I missing something here with the dew poster? Has he been a Debbie Downer on all of our draft picks or something?

7 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Am I missing something here with the dew poster? Has he been a Debbie Downer on all of our draft picks or something?

Hes alright. At times hes just got his own unique view points and angles that for the most part only he sees.. Not that I'm perfect of course. Hes just different I guess!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'll be diplomatic and just say that Doug is not exactly Chris Ballard's biggest fan....

During the draft, he called him....    "worse than Grigson."     He has since tried to walk it back...   at least, a little...

There's much more history than that...  but this is enough for starters...

@krunk and @NewColtsFan I believe he started a huge thread about the drafting tactics of Ballard.....I didn't read it as I understand each team evaluates players based on thier own criteria and how thier abilities mesh with the thier schemes.....

To say X player is better than Z player because a draft publication says so is dumb when they're grading them purely on measurables and not fit.

Anyway, just my $0.02......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Where did Gil Brandt give him a grade?  All he says is a "post draft FA grade"  that means he's was not expected to get drafted but would be considered an undrafted free agent.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not defending his view point but I too feel like Ballard has maybe skewed his draft strategy toward athleticism vs football skill. Time will tell if his draft strategy is a sound one or not.

5 hours ago, theanarchist said:

I'm not defending his view point but I too feel like Ballard has maybe skewed his draft strategy toward athleticism vs football skill. Time will tell if his draft strategy is a sound one or not.

I would say he has skewed this draft toward Intelligence, leadership, character, athletic players with considerable game experience. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

Good size and speed. I guess he was a WR that got turned into a CB last year. Don't really know much about the guy.

That was Kelvin Hayden too. He played WR at Illinois before being turned into a CB.

52 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I would say he has skewed this draft toward Intelligence, leadership, character, athletic players with considerable game experience. 

True. If athleticism was the only major factor, Hines would have been drafted much earlier by us. 

For the others, let us not turn Ballard into an Al Davis here, let us slow down a bit. :) 

17 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Thanks for posting ... good find. Do you know why it was moved from Colt news ? I understand that he has not signed a contract but how is this different from posts stating that free agents have visits scheduled with the Colts ? Those were allowed during the FA period.