Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Elite OLine

Will the Colts ever have an Elite OLine?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Colts ever have an Elite OLine?

• Yes
    • No

The Colts will likely have two Elite OLinemen playing next to each other for the next decade (Nelson and Kelly, hopefully :goodluck:).

It might be too much to invest in an OLine, but the Colts just need to find two Elite Tackles to protect the edge for Andrew Luck...

If Braden Smith at RG is the "weakest-link", this OLine will definitely be Elite in a few years.

:colts:

If Nelson & Smith can combine with Castanzo & Kelly, & then whoever fills in that 5th spot (assumably RT or RG according to where Smith lines up), & if that group can come together, create some continuity & some cohesiveness by staying together & healthy, I feel that the Colts could see some fairly dramatic results, in a fairly short amount of time.

ESPECIALLY, (& this may sound silly & should go without saying but the past coaching staff makes you wonder) if Reich truly applies the notion of working to the players/teams strengths, and we see improved overall gameplanning... 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

If Nelson & Smith can combine with Castanzo & Kelly, & then whoever fills in that 5th spot (assumably RT or RG according to where Smith lines up), & if that group can come together, create some continuity & some cohesiveness by staying together & healthy, I feel that the Colts could see some fairly dramatic results, in a fairly short amount of time.

ESPECIALLY, (& this may sound silly & should go without saying but the past coaching staff makes you wonder) if Reich truly applies the notion of working to the players/teams strengths, and we see improved overall gameplanning... 

Like you said, just having an o-line that don't have different starters from week to week would be a great start.

Hopefully good play by Kelly and Nelson will rub off on whoever is in line with them. They don't have to be 'elite' to be effective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Like you said, just having an o-line that don't have different starters from week to week would be a great start.

Hopefully good play by Kelly and Nelson will rub off on whoever is in line with them. They don't have to be 'elite' to be effective.

Yeah, that was something Ballard said during his 2 hour media presser that really jumped out to me, the idea of Nelson setting the tone for the OL & raising everyone's level across the line...

I don't think it is too much of a stretch to at least hope that improved play on both sides of Kelly, with Nelson & Smith, can help raise the level of play across the whole line...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Grind Hard said:

RT should be pretty solid with either Mewhort or Smith next to them hopefully LaRaven CLark or Denzelle Good Comes into their own by the upgraded talent next tot them

I think it’s the last chance for both of those guys.  Clark has the talent, Good gets hurt so often it’s hard to know what to expect.  

IDK if they will be elite yet, but I no longer think it's the worst OL in the league like I did 2 years ago.  Ballard has slowly added pieces to this thing (and even Grigs with Kelly), and I think one more off-season and it will be elite.  Now if we could just have an elite DLine too, this team will go places, and I think that is Ballard's intention.

Great pieces being assembled.  I think people will be surprised by how much better the line gets just by the move made already.  When players on the o-line know they can trust the player next to them, they get better at focusing on their own assignments.

On 5/3/2018 at 3:47 AM, Buck Showalter said:

AC is also getting old too. Don’t know how long he will be around for. 

On 5/2/2018 at 12:21 PM, csmopar said:

I think Ballard showed that he's determined to provide just that.  However, don't expect it to happen overnight.

Our fanbase/forum won't lose its mind if they allow a sack or two a game..

Q.Nelson's first sack he'll be a bust around here.. lol.. sarcasm off..

15 minutes ago, Manroth19 said:

An upgrade at LT bumping AC to the right would be a good start

Why would the Colts do that?  AC getting dissed is unfounded. It would take a great player at LG to replace him so why move him out of his natural position? Maybe draft a player to replace him in the future but finding a better player at his position is not needed.                                                                                                             

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Offensive lines become "elite" only if they learn to work together in harmony

Exactly. They all don't have to be "elite" as individuals, just as a unit. When one or two of them are "elite" or pro bowl caliber it does rub off on the whole unit. If one of the unit don't do a good job he is replaced till they find the right combination. You also have to have decent back up players to cover for injuries or substitutions. The importance at talented depth is important at every position.

The lack of talented depth has been one of the major issues for the Colts for a very long time.

5 hours ago, Manroth19 said:

An upgrade at LT bumping AC to the right would be a good start

Maybe Luck should just throw left handed, while we're at it?  LT and RT are different animals.  That's why Haeg has struggled.  He's a backup LT, learning to play RT.

• Like 2

I like the direction of our O-line. The personnel on the interior of our O-line should develop into an elite unit with time. We have 1 good starting tackle (Castonzo) and (as of now I'd have to rate them as) two good backup tackles (Haeg and Good) one of which will start. This season should be an immediate improvement over what we're used to, but I'm not going to go so far as saying to expect "elite" play this season. Let's say next season we added a good RT, we've got more experience and chemistry over the interior of the O-line, then we can start talking about if we're on the fringe of elite. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some gurus are saying he's the best guard prospect since John Hannah and Steve Hutchinson.  Does that include Larry Allen too?  Sheez, Emmit Smith basically owes that guy his rushing record.  If Nelson could even come close to that..wow.

• Like 4

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:12 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Why would the Colts do that?  AC getting dissed is unfounded. It would take a great player at LG to replace him so why move him out of his natural position? Maybe draft a player to replace him in the future but finding a better player at his position is not needed.                                                                                                             

I agree ! But AC is now in his 8th year? I think next draft would be the ideal time to find his replacement (if there is one), AC still has a couple of good years left but need to look at the future.

1 hour ago, Tracy Denton said:

I agree ! But AC is now in his 8th year? I think next draft would be the ideal time to find his replacement (if there is one), AC still has a couple of good years left but need to look at the future.

I agree. Drafting good offensive linemen for the future Is always needed.

Not drafting good linemen is how we got in this mess.

Having a bone headed GM and an empty headed coach is how the Colts got here. Thank goodness the team’s future finally looks bright with Ballard and Reich and a fresh start on the O-line. 

On 5/3/2018 at 9:12 PM, crazycolt1 said:

On 5/3/2018 at 9:25 PM, NewColtsFan said:

:facepalm:

On 5/4/2018 at 2:27 AM, jimmy g said:

Maybe Luck should just throw left handed, while we're at it?  LT and RT are different animals.  That's why Haeg has struggled.  He's a backup LT, learning to play RT.

Lol So if we had a LT good enough to push AC to the right side that wouldn’t be a good start to having an elite o line? AC is good middle of the pack LT which is fine but a scenario where we have a top 5 in the league LT with Nelson Kelly Smith Castonzo has elite written all over it

25 minutes ago, Manroth19 said:

Lol So if we had a LT good enough to push AC to the right side that wouldn’t be a good start to having an elite o line? AC is good middle of the pack LT which is fine but a scenario where we have a top 5 in the league LT with Nelson Kelly Smith Castonzo has elite written all over it

Why make a scenario in the first place? Just draft or sign a RT and leave AC where he is at as long as he is doing a good job there. Having AC where he is at along with Nelson and Kelly is a great combination.

• Like 1

LT - Castonzo - RAS = 9.34

LG - Nelson (R) - RAS = 9.67

LG - Mewhort - RAS = 7.33 (Graded as a LT during his draft year)

C - Kelly - RAS = 9.39

C - Fabiano - RAS = 9.74

RG - Smith (R) - RAS = 9.71

RG - Slauson - RAS = 8.83

RT - Haeg - RAS = 9.31

RT - Clark - RAS = 8.09

RT - Good - RAS = 7.84

All I can say is our top 10 lineman are pretty darn athletic.....

Fabiano is also a Guard

Slauson is also a Center

And all 4 RT's are capable of playing Guard as well.

I believe this is the year that Haeg claims the RT spot and runs with it!

• Like 1