Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ranked #32 -- I love it

I know it's meaningless, but Elliot Harrison at NFL.com has the Colts ranked #32 in his post-draft power-rankings.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000930902/article/nfl-power-rankings-giants-climb-after-2018-draft-bills-drop

Hey, if you start at the bottom, the only way to go is up!  And I think Frank Reich knows a thing or two about being an underdog...  :thmup:

• Like 5

I don't really have a problem with this since they didn't fall.  We all knew the team was very thin at most positions.   Improving their O-line could mask  a few areas.  Of course Luck is the wildcard here.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I know it's meaningless, but Elliot Harrison at NFL.com has the Colts ranked #32 in his post-draft power-rankings.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000930902/article/nfl-power-rankings-giants-climb-after-2018-draft-bills-drop

Hey, if you start at the bottom, the only way to go is up!  And I think Frank Reich knows a thing or two about being an underdog...  :thmup:

yeah.. no way this team is worse than the Browns, Giants, Dolphins with Luck coming back.  But hey, this means we'll be underdogs all season long, a roll that seems to inspire Luck to perform at his best. 

• Like 1

Can’t wait when all the naysayers are eating crow. This offence will be one of the tops in the league. Finally have an offensive line that (potentially) can control the clock and dictate the game. With a healthy Luck that isn’t running for his life and the first time since Arians a coach with a great offensive mind.....not even being overly optimistic I think it’s gonna be great

Well, he did say I like where the Colt's heads are at". The 2018 Colts are Stage 1 of building so don't buy the roof top suite until the roof is installed. This build will show it's success or lack of with Brissett as well as with Luck but remember the new players will not start in many cases. They have signed 12 non-dratted players and waived 7. They lost several games by 7 or less last year so you have to be positive about what's coming even as our division is rising to be among the best.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Hmmm! We should go 0-6 in our division.
Can we go 5-5 outside? That won't be easy.

Jacksonville probably drafted the best with Houston and Indy tied for second and Tennessee last. Deshaun Watson scares me. If you saw the game against Wilson and the Seahawks you would agree 

14 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I don't know if I agree with that.  It could happen.  But I wouldn't say the Titans are significantly better.  Should at least split with them.  And If Luck is back to 85% or more of himself, it's not out of the question to steal games from the Pokes or Jags.  Even with a thin roster, 8-8 is a good goal.

How can you be worse then a team that didn't win once and will be starting a rookie next year?

Ehh, whatever,  these things don't matter anyway. 

It's the annoying post draft time of year. NOTHING to talk about now until July.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Didn’t we blow like 7 4th quarter leads? 

I think it was this, 8, or 9. We lost n/12 of our games (given n is 7,8,9) without Luck, without a remotely good defense, or w/o a good offensive line. We walk into the 2018 season with 2/3 (yes, I believe our oline is fixed). 

2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Jacksonville probably drafted the best with Houston and Indy tied for second and Tennessee last. Deshaun Watson scares me. If you saw the game against Wilson and the Seahawks you would agree 

I am just giving credit where i believe it is due. The teams i see above us look VERY solid all around.

Watson was fun to watch. If healthy he is a Bad man.
 The Irsay, Ballard plan will be to use, develop all these young guys asap. IMO
A big roster turn even again next year.
With New Coaches, systems, winning much this year would not be a plus. Drafting top 3 again would be Great.
In 2019 we can start plucking away, paying top $$$ for 1-2 big time FA. Maybe a DT, LB, or CB.  :applause:
After the coming season, Winning will be all out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I am just giving credit where i believe it is due. The teams i see above us look VERY solid all around.

Watson was fun to watch. If healthy he is a Bad man.
 The Irsay, Ballard plan will be to use, develop all these young guys asap. IMO
A big roster turn even again next year.
With New Coaches, systems, winning much this year would not be a plus. Drafting top 3 again would be Great.
In 2019 we can start plucking away, paying top $$$ for 1-2 big time FA. Maybe a DT, LB, or CB.  :applause:
After the coming season, Winning will be all out.

Not saying the team wouldn't still be in this position, but I think that's what hurt the Grigson era the most. Winning too much too soon. They never had a chance to do a proper rebuild.

• Like 1

I think that ranking is fair. We are still at the bottom of the league in terms of talent and our QB is a complete mystery. With our current roster we are betting on a lot of players that are either inexperienced, coming off an injury, or both. 

I believe in Luck and this team so I know we won't be last at the end of the year but I completely understand being ranked where we are. 

• Like 2

Until Luck is on the field and playing I've got no problem with this. I'd say us and the Jets and Cleveland are probably at the very bottom and one could rank all of us about the same. With a healthy Luck then clearly I think we are pretty close to a 500 football team give or take a game or two. I don't think its unfair. We did finish with the 3rd worst record in football last year....and Luck isn't throwing footballs yet so I understand not factoring him in. All said though I do think we have the higher upside of any of those teams at the bottom long term and with the right player growth and a healthy Luck can take that big leap like we saw Jacksonville do in a couple years.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Not saying the team wouldn't still be in this position, but I think that's what hurt the Grigson era the most. Winning too much too soon. They never had a chance to do a proper rebuild.

I think the success too soon sped up the idea that we were much closer to having a proper roster and we made some moves we shouldn't have in free agency and we weren't disciplined in our drafts to put us over the top. Obviously when your drafting late in the round for 2-3 years you don't get to take those higher prospects and there is more room to miss. We saw Grigson do ok with that first draft because he was able to get the best players at the start of each round....when he was drafting at the end of rounds its not quite so easy.....which is why Polian deserves more credit...and likely also why he took more offensive players early because he was confident that Peyton could make them work and fit in...take more chances on defensive players later in the draft because the scheme could handle lesser talent at many of its positions outside S and DE which we were pretty set in. That's why I give Polian more of a break. It's hard drafting at the end of the rounds....players plain and simple just have more flaws and red flags to sift through.

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

i think it was 9

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Would be kind of funny to go 0-6 in the division and then 10-0 outside of it, sweak into the playoffs, then make a deep run to the Superbowl...

14 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

This theory holds ZERO water.  If that was the case, Jacksonville and the Browns would be dynasty's by now as they've been drafting in the top 5 almost every year since 2000. Meanwhile, the Patriots havent picked out side of the bottom 6 in the draft for over 10 years. Its not where you pick, it's who you pick and how they fit your scheme.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

i think it was 9

Would be kind of funny to go 0-6 in the division and then 10-0 outside of it, sweak into the playoffs, then make a deep run to the Superbowl...

This theory holds ZERO water.  If that was the case, Jacksonville and the Browns would be dynasty's by now as they've been drafting in the top 5 almost every year since 2000. Meanwhile, the Patriots havent picked out side of the bottom 6 in the draft for over 10 years. Its not where you pick, it's who you pick and how they fit your scheme.

I don't think he said they needed to draft high.    I think he was referring to Luck masking many deficiencies.  

26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Who you pick and how they fit your scheme matters but where you pick matters a ton too (except for the Browns, lol).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, IinD said:

How can you be worse then a team that didn't win once and will be starting a rookie next year?

The Browns will not be starting a rookie QB next season.  They'll be pretty good.   6-8 wins.  

Colts are a crap shoot until we see luck play.

7 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

This. Going 11-5 Luck's first year lost us a high pick the following year (Manning got Edge). 

Even worse, Grigson's head got so fat he couldn't even fit in the hot tub with Gosder Cherilus, Donald Thomas, and LeRon Landry. 

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

He must be an *.  There is no way we are the worst team in the league, we didnt have Luck all season and a porous offensive line and still won 4 games. IF Luck plays the whole season that is worth 8 wins off the bat

Let's see who finishes better, the Browns or the Colts....  the Colts will have their hands full....  Colts win 6 and the browns will be right there too... as far as blown leads, we supposedly had one of if not the easiest schedule last year too...  will make for an interesting season, but long.

Colts have been underdogs for as long as I can remember. Beyond playing the worst in the NFL the colts have always been considered less than stellar. 

I have grown to like seeing the colts prove everyone wrong time and time again. 

2 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Right, this team is much better than people think, this is just more lazy journalism and an easy narrative.  If Luck is healthy we win 10 games, if not, i'd put the over-under around 5.  This team has more (or at least as much) talent as the 11 win teams.  Andrew alone is worth 5-8 games.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Last years Colts beat the Texans twice and lost to the Titans by 4 points while leading in the 4th.

Assuming Luck comes back (taking on faith I know) nobody in the division is adding a player anywhere near Lucks caliber. 

Id be shocked if the Colts dont finish 3-3 or better this year.

I don't know if anyone has said this but................what if Luck comes back with nothing but plus signs on every factor of a QB's breakdown? What if the new and improved Andrew Luck blows the doors off his old stats book?

ref. The Six Million Dollar Man :superman: