Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Love him or Hate him, if you're not reading THIS article, then you don't know Chris Ballard

NewColtsFan

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

You're late on this scoop. We were discussing this yesterday. It is a great read though.

I didn't see the thread or the discussion...    sorry I missed it... 

It appears the discussion was inside the thread that I missed..  

Wish I had seen it sooner...   still curious if this will get more reaction now that it has its own thread...

• Like 1

Read it yesterday and fully agree @NewColtsFan, its a great write up and read for any Colts fan.  Even though it is long, not a lot of unnecessary detail, all good stuff.

A lot of interesting information, but one thing that stood out for me was the discussion of TJ Green where Ballard mentioned it was on him for putting him at corner as that's what they wanted him for in KC.  As you say, he pulled punches a little but is honest by saying it didn't work (understatement alert) but that he began to play better at the end of the year.  I didn't see that to be honest but Ballard seems quite high on what I thought was just a "Pagano guy".

31 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Read it yesterday and fully agree @NewColtsFan, its a great write up and read for any Colts fan.  Even though it is long, not a lot of unnecessary detail, all good stuff.

A lot of interesting information, but one thing that stood out for me was the discussion of TJ Green where Ballard mentioned it was on him for putting him at corner as that's what they wanted him for in KC.  As you say, he pulled punches a little but is honest by saying it didn't work (understatement alert) but that he began to play better at the end of the year.  I didn't see that to be honest but Ballard seems quite high on what I thought was just a "Pagano guy".

I think it is more about giving Green the chance to make his own breaks over camp and pre season. IMO if he don't show something during those times he will not make the final 53. Just Ballard doing a little coach speak, that's all.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I didn't see the thread or the discussion...    sorry I missed it... 

It appears the discussion was inside the thread that I missed..  

Wish I had seen it sooner...   still curious if this will get more reaction now that it has its own thread...

It did deserve it's own thread.

Glad you posted it as I just skimmed through it yesterday. I didn't have the time to read it in detail so it's all good.

13 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I'm procrastinating at work and reading it now.  What does he mean by 49s?  He's never seen so many 49s...

I am so glad someone else asked this!

I had no idea either but thought I might be being dense! haha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@NewColtsFan - yes, this deserved its own thread. Awesome write up!!!

Great and unprecedented candor from Ballard!!! His Charles Tillman reference was classic. I see Bill Polian traits in him with the fact that he sings to his own tune and his own conviction. Hopefully, he can get the results Bill got with his drafts and role players.

This was very interesting to me and I feel it should be noted and taken into account for future pre-draft expectations:

"I'll tell you this though: wideouts the most overgraded position in the draft. There's a million of them."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

I'm procrastinating at work and reading it now.  What does he mean by 49s?  He's never seen so many 49s...

I thought it was the grade Ballard/Scouting Staff gave for players that they kept off their board, that they were not willing to draft.  Whether for character flaws or because they did not fit the scheme that the Colts will be running.  I don't know if there is a significance to using the number 49 vs a different number, other than 49 may be the cutoff, they may only consider players with a 50 or higher grade.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I linked to this in another thread but it definitely deserves its own thread. Way longer, way more in depth than the IndyStar article. Some of my thoughts:

I liked what he had to say about Turbin. I think he's definitely gonna make a roster and it seems like they'll gladly carry 4 RB's. He's too good in pass pro and in short yardage, and just seems like a really good leader for that group.

Also, I've raved about Leonard a lot, and I'd be surprised if he isn't our starting Will by the regular season opener if not in TC. He just fits too perfectly and already has a crazy amount of character/leadership qualities from what I've read.

As for another rookie, Braden Smith, I think it's gonna take him some time to become the starter. Seems like a lot of people have him penciled in but he needs work. He's strong but is definitely gonna need help on his technique. Won't be surprised if he does start though. The good thing is by all accounts he's a really hard worker and loves the game.

• Like 2

It must be a real tough transition for the twitchy edge guys who can't just win with physical talent?  What a gamble to draft rushers and have to see if they can develope moves later.  I also thought it was interesting that after the ability to catch, the next thing he looked at for WR was their ability to handle jams and being hit. 

49 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I thought it was the grade Ballard/Scouting Staff gave for players that they kept off their board, that they were not willing to draft.  Whether for character flaws or because they did not fit the scheme that the Colts will be running.  I don't know if there is a significance to using the number 49 vs a different number, other than 49 may be the cutoff, they may only consider players with a 50 or higher grade.

Yeah this is what I took a 49 as. Ether a non-fit because of character or schematic fit.

I can’t help but think a lot of the top CBs were on that list, as well as any slow LBs and of course 3-4 DL guys.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

@NewColtsFan - yes, this deserved its own thread. Awesome write up!!!

Great and unprecedented candor from Ballard!!! His Charles Tillman reference was classic. I see Bill Polian traits in him with the fact that he sings to his own tune and his own conviction. Hopefully, he can get the results Bill got with his drafts and role players.

I see some similarity too.  See below on 3rd response-

3 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Ballard owns it, like Luck owns it.  I really feel Reid/Dorsey/Ballard did have eyes on T.J. Green, and propelled Pagano to 'jump in' to the chagrin of many here.  I heard there were other teams interested at the time, and Cornerback was a projected landing spot.  It appears for Colts and Chiefs.  Upon further review, maybe safety/big Nickel can allow him to keep his job.

44 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Thanks for posting.  I had some questions about why Leonard so high and he answered them.  If he really can run a 4.53, then I get it now.  They envision him covering and that would allow him to do it.

Didn't he also mention similarities to David Thornton? Thornton was the best WILL LB we had in the Polian/Dungy/Manning years.  This is high praise for our newly drafted WILL. To this day, Polian refers to Thornton as 'The one that got away' {went to Titans in free agency}. Now retired from play, he is currently the Director of Player Engagement for the Colts. He'd be a great mentor for Leonard on and off the field.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

Bingo. That is exactly what I got out of it too. 

The thing is Ballard is big on the character of the players as well as their speed. If you noticed a lot of the Colts drafted players were team captains or leaders. We don't need so called super stars to be successful. We just need players who play as a team as a unit.

Damn I hate to bring the Patriots into this but BBs saying about "just do your job" comes to mind.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah this is what I took a 49 as. Ether a non-fit because of character or schematic fit.

I can’t help but think a lot of the top CBs were on that list, as well as any slow LBs and of course 3-4 DL guys.

Speed and team character seems to be Ballard's thing for sure.  Plus I am pretty sure some of the players Ballard was zeroing in on were taken by other teams. I think it surprised some for Ballard to draft guys that were not invited to the combine as well. IMO it just shows Ballard and his scouting team were pretty thorough in looking for his type of players.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So....     on Monday,  Ballard invited the Indy media into a meeting where he spent two hours answering any and all questions....   and offered up video to support his views for the draft picks...     Two hours.

As someone who has interviewed NFL Owners and GM's and Head Coaches,  I can assure you that is pretty much unprecidented.   It's unheard of.    I was always happy if I got 20 minutes.     Two flipping hours!

Anyway,  today,  Colts.com writer Andrew Walker has written up an issue by issue story that breaks down everything that was said.     I'm sure the local media has their version of the Ballard interview.    But here is the Colts.com version.    Mad props to Ballard,  he is fearless in the interview.   In another thread today,  I mentioned that Ballard was also on NFL Radio on Tuesday and host Alex Marvez introduced him as the most honest, straightforward and truthful person he has interviewed in his 24 years of doing interviews.   Impressive.

This is a long read.    It's NOT a hard read,  but it is long.    They talk about most everything.   Now, as truthful as Ballard is,  he does not throw anyone under the bus.   He pulls the occasional punch.   I'm sure he takes a bullet or two for the mistakes of others.   He's pretty gracious and self-depricating.

But I urge you to read this.   Spend a few minutes and learn about your General Manager.   This is Ballard explaining Ballard.   Agree or disagree,  Ballard is laying himself wide open.   The results on the field will tell if he's right or wrong.   But Ballard is explaining himself and his view in as blunt of terms as he can.

And if you're still complaining about Ballard in 6-8 months,  I'm going to ask if you read this article.   Because if you don't read it, and are still complaining,  then you are demonstrating that you have no real interest in understanding him.    You just want to stand on the sidelines and complain.   

Props to Andrew Walker for a great write-up.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Go-Inside-The-Colts’-Draft-Room-With-Chris-Ballard/6533061e-471d-4bcc-a640-5285b34d25a6

Thanks for posting this!  What a great "pull back the curtain" moment.  Ballard is solid.  This team will get there.  Give him 2 more off-seasons and it's going to be a lot different around here.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So....     on Monday,  Ballard invited the Indy media into a meeting where he spent two hours answering any and all questions....   and offered up video to support his views for the draft picks...     Two hours.

As someone who has interviewed NFL Owners and GM's and Head Coaches,  I can assure you that is pretty much unprecidented.   It's unheard of.    I was always happy if I got 20 minutes.     Two flipping hours!

Anyway,  today,  Colts.com writer Andrew Walker has written up an issue by issue story that breaks down everything that was said.     I'm sure the local media has their version of the Ballard interview.    But here is the Colts.com version.    Mad props to Ballard,  he is fearless in the interview.   In another thread today,  I mentioned that Ballard was also on NFL Radio on Tuesday and host Alex Marvez introduced him as the most honest, straightforward and truthful person he has interviewed in his 24 years of doing interviews.   Impressive.

This is a long read.    It's NOT a hard read,  but it is long.    They talk about most everything.   Now, as truthful as Ballard is,  he does not throw anyone under the bus.   He pulls the occasional punch.   I'm sure he takes a bullet or two for the mistakes of others.   He's pretty gracious and self-depricating.

But I urge you to read this.   Spend a few minutes and learn about your General Manager.   This is Ballard explaining Ballard.   Agree or disagree,  Ballard is laying himself wide open.   The results on the field will tell if he's right or wrong.   But Ballard is explaining himself and his view in as blunt of terms as he can.

And if you're still complaining about Ballard in 6-8 months,  I'm going to ask if you read this article.   Because if you don't read it, and are still complaining,  then you are demonstrating that you have no real interest in understanding him.    You just want to stand on the sidelines and complain.   

Props to Andrew Walker for a great write-up.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Go-Inside-The-Colts’-Draft-Room-With-Chris-Ballard/6533061e-471d-4bcc-a640-5285b34d25a6

Yeah, I read that yesterday. Very interesting and great read.

I personally think it was a stroke of genius to do this, because it made sure that Ballard got his point of view on the drafted players across to the media. From a PR standpoint, you really don’t want the media to build up negativity about certain drafted players (like drafted too early, or an unknown talent etc) if you can help to avoid it. He is a smart dude, this mister Ballard!

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

I wish someone would have asked him why he didn't draft any CBs.

It was discussed. Short version is they're comfortable with what they have thus far, and will continue to look in this 2nd wave of free agents and undrafted players to look for guys who fit what they do. They were not comfortable picking those players (CBs) when they had a chance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Yeah, I read that yesterday. Very interesting and great read.

I personally think it was a stroke of genius to do this, because it made sure that Ballard got his point of view on the drafted players across to the media. From a PR standpoint, you really don’t want the media to build up negativity about certain drafted players (like drafted too early, or an unknown talent etc) if you can help to avoid it. He is a smart dude, this mister Ballard!

Yup. Time will tell whether he's a good GM or not, but it's pretty obvious that he gets it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Yup. Time will tell whether he's a good GM or not, but it's pretty obvious that he gets it. 

Its weird. He wants his scouts to see the players through the players eyes, and then he shared that vision with the media. Hes educating the media from a straight shooter point of view, and its clear they dug the HELL out of it. And, from all takes it appears that it was approached by Ballard as if he were making them part of the team.

Trying to imagine Polian or Grigs doing this... Nah, I cant.

• Like 2

Whether you agree with his decisions or not, I find it to be a rather refreshing time for us fans. The GM has been forthright and transparent in his methods and about the direction he is taking this team. He is doing it his way and he has shown he has a plan and is sticking to it. I feel optimistic about the future of the Colts.

It was a very good article which provided a lot of insight into the thinking of Ballard regarding the guys he ultimately drafted.  I personally loved the first day of the draft and thought day 3 was a good day as well.  While I think the Colts didn't really maximize value with their 2nd round selections, I can at least appreciate that Ballard isn't concerned with who the media pundits and the fan base had on their make shift draft boards.  All that matters to him is the value of those players to the Colts staff and the schemes that they want to run.  So hopefully, he did well there for us...time will tell.  I would love to see that list of 49's to get an idea of what players the Colts weren't even considering drafting.  All in all...kudos to Ballard for opening himself up this much.  He is a very refreshing GM in many ways.

I’m 100% confident in Ballard the GM. Jury is still out on our scouting department although I’m not mad about who we got. Fact is he knows what he is doing. It will just come down to talent evaluation and player progression. Ballard as a leader and manager is light years ahead of Grigson. I hope as a talent evaluator he is too. Good read!

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I wish someone would have asked him why he didn't draft any CBs.

That would have been my thought Ballard is comfortable with where we are it. He drafted Q and Hairston last season then brought in K Moore Desir DJ White and Aker. He's fimiliar with DJ and Aker from his time in KC. I think he keeps looking for guy's.that will makes us better. That's a young group I think Desir at 27 in the oldest. I think he's fine going forward with Desir and Q outside and Hairston in the slot.