Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Walker Jr.

Scott Pennock

So I saw one little blurb at the end of on of Holder's articles today talking about Walker losing weight. 

If, in fact, he has returned to the low 230's like he was in 2015 (his Junior year highlights above) then we have ourselves our starting MIKE/WILL depending on what they do with Leonard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I heard that too. One thing that stuck with me from Walker's draft profile was a scout saying he thought he had bulked up too much in his last year and that made him less flexible and mobile. 

Losing weight could be great for him.

• Like 4

Yeah that was the big headline surrounding Smith his senior year. Every draft profile on him talked about how great he was his junior year, but put on too much weight his senior season and lost a step because of it. If he’s slimmed down, he’s in the running to be the starting Mike. Ran a 4.64 at the combine with the weight on, so he’s probably a true 4.5 runner. He can play in coverage.

I should be over it by now, but it still bothers me how Pagano, even when the season was lost, didn’t try and evaluate the rookies on the roster and give Mack and Walker more playing time.

Honestly, Anthony Walker really hasn't done anything to lead me to believe we should pencil him in as starting mlb. Regardless of what his weight is. I hope he delivers this season. But I think the position is very much open to any of the lbs. 

17 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Honestly, Anthony Walker really hasn't done anything to lead me to believe we should pencil him in as starting mlb. Regardless of what his weight is. I hope he delivers this season. But I think the position is very much open to any of the lbs. 

In the two games he started he showed me enough to say he's better than Morrison. But that isnt saying much.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Jesus some of you put way too much stock in players losing or gaining weight... 

You think? I mean it was well know at draft time the bulking he did slowed him down and impaired the best part of his game.....

So him slimming back down to that playing weight where he was viewed as a much better prospect should just be brushed aside?

What if he bulked up to 280? You think that would slow him down more? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

So I saw one little blurb at the end of on of Holder's articles today talking about Walker losing weight. 

If, in fact, he has returned to the low 230's like he was in 2015 (his Junior year highlights above) then we have ourselves our starting MIKE/WILL depending on what they do with Leonard.

Just some clarification after reading the long interview Ballard recently gave...he said that Morrison and Walker are Mike/SAM lbs in the new defense and Leonard will be at Will. :)

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, J@son said:

Just some clarification after reading the long interview Ballard recently gave...he said that Morrison and Walker are Mike/SAM lbs in the new defense and Leonard will be at Will. :)

Hell no Morrison is terrible bro are you high he cant cover or rush for anything

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

I saw that this morning and I'm glad CB agrees with me! I'm mostly kidding! Ha!

If he is, in fact, quicker with the weight loss Walker will be the MIKE.

I think we all can agree that Morrison's ONLY shot is SAM/Teams.....

For the sake of argument though, if the two 7th rounders mental attributes end up matching thier obvious physical measurables and force Walker to the SAM.....then kudos to them AND that would make our front 7 better too.

Addition by subtraction so to speak...

Walker had some spectacular plays in that video. Chasing down Josh Dobbs and Bryce Love, and covering CMC on a wheel route. If he can makes those kind of plays for the Colts I'll be quite happy. 

1 hour ago, Indy1996 said:

Hell no Morrison is terrible bro are you high he cant cover or rush for anything

I honestly expect Morrison to be cut before the season starts.  But as for my post that you quoted, I was merely repeating what Ballard said about Morrison. :P

2 hours ago, Indy1996 said:

If Morrison was as bad as you seem to think, bro, he would've been cut by now...

Ballard said in his extended interview that Morrison is a middle linebacker but that he also wants to see him in the strong side...  made it seem like he thinks Morrison might be a fit at SAM.   

Im making no predictions.   Only that Morrison is an "effort " player and sometimes guys like that surprise...    the odds are against him in this new defense with the emphasis on speed..   but I wouldn't rule it out...   he's better than you think...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J@son said:

Here is exactly what Ballard had to say:. On Antonio Morrison’s role in the defense: “He has to be a MIKE-SAM, and really, more of a SAM … because we’ll ask our SAM a lot to hammer things down inside, which he should be really good at, because that’s what he is. He couldn’t play WILL for us.”

Even after reading this I'd be surprised if Morrison makes the final 53 man roster. He doesn't have the speed or coverage skills. What do I know I didn't expect him to be there last year.

Walker on the other hand if he is back to the guy who could run all over the field making tackles and covering backs. He should be in the mix maybe the SAM Goode at M and Leonard at W.  I expect to see a lot of LB's come through this summer like Ballard worked  CB last year. 

23 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Leonard was quoted by CB in an interview that he was definitely going to be the WILL in this defense. It was an article kind of defining the lb’ers positions on the team. Great read

Walker looks a lot more fluid at that weight moving around it would make sense for him to be the Mike in this system he seems to diagnose plays very well solid tackler with some range. I think him being trim in this system helps since they likely want a gang of players meeting to the ball speed is a premium. I won't put much stock into the LB's and where they might end up. In all cases, they need to know all 3 spots in the system.

• Like 4

On 5/2/2018 at 1:56 PM, SP_21 said:

Walker had some spectacular plays in that video. Chasing down Josh Dobbs and Bryce Love, and covering CMC on a wheel route. If he can makes those kind of plays for the Colts I'll be quite happy. 

He also blew up Saquon Barkley a bunch of times in the highlights.