Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wilkins vs Hines

dodsworth

Wilkins vs Hines  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes a bigger impact on offense? Wilkins with his receiving ability and size or Hines with his speed and quickness?

• Wilkins
    • Hines

Hines will.  I am married to an Ole Miss grad, go to a couple games a season, watch nearly all their games, and I like Wilkins, but he is limited.  He won't challenge Mack for carries, and he isn't as dynamic as Hines, which sort of puts him in no-man's-land as far as I'm concerned.  I really like him, he was the best RB Ole Miss had by miles in a pass-happy spread offense.  If he makes the team I see him spelling Mack, so a two or three carry a game kinda player, and special teams.  I bet Hines has that many plays scripted for him a week, like Sproles did/does.  You want 4.38 with the ball in space.  Good things happen.  Wilkins will have a fight on his hands separating himself from Ferguson and trying to catch Mack.  He's in that mold.  So it's Ferguson he has to beat out.  He's not a thumper like Turbin, Jones, or Michael, and he's not a sprinter/take it to the house threat really. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Hines, because he is a slot receiver who has running ability.  We can have him line-up all over the field and be our mismatch guy when he is on the field.  I can't wait to see Reich's offense.

I'm reserving my vote until I actually see them playing with and against professional athletes.

But ^ is my hope.

I'm not sure what Wilkins receiving ability really is, he only caught a handful of passes in college.  His size isn't much better than Turbin or Michael.  I would have added Jones, but he's just been released.

Between just Hines and Wilkins, I am thinking Hines has the better impact from day 1.  I see us with 4 RB's on the roster.  Mack, Hines, Turbin, and Wilkins/Michael.  Hines allows for a mismatch guy and return man.  Wlikins and Michael will be interesting but I am hoping Wilkins comes in and does some Vic Ballard stuff and shocks everyone.

Depends on how effectively we use them. I think hines will be a one or two big play guy per week rather that is on offense or in the return game and wilkins will be our most likely grinding back with Mack finishing the defense off after the defense is run down

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Unless he shows us the consistent between the tackles running ability, Mack is fighting with Wilkins for carries. Hines is a gadget player.

I get what you are saying about Hines but a change of pace RB that is used during the right times shouldn't be called a gadget player. He is used according what his talents brings.

Just saying.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I get what you are saying about Hines but a change of pace RB that is used during the right times shouldn't be called a gadget player. He is used according what his talents brings.

Just saying.

It’s not an insult. It’s a testament to his skills. He’s explosive and can do a lot of different things. He’s not an every down guy, but someone you make packages for and get on the field by any means.

15 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Unless he shows us the consistent between the tackles running ability, Mack is fighting with Wilkins for carries. Hines is a gadget player.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just saying.

Sproles was a gadget player and Maurice Jones Drew was a feature back. Hines should fall in

between somewhere.

Hines looks to be an interesting prospect, but I think you will see (IMHO) Wilkins get the most carries

The video is great, I dont give a great deal of credence to the Alabama game, (He was in against the scrub team)

But against LSU he shone

The guy can see the open spot to run to .........  

If we can get the OL going, this will be an good year on offense

Both will help a ton because of what differences they provide for us. They have different running styles, but overall, I’d say that Hines’ versatility and big play ability earns him my vote. Wilkins will give us a solid option at the #1 RB position

46 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just saying.

Hines can run through tackles no problem he is explosive unlike jordan wilkins and mack 

8 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Hines, because he is a slot receiver who has running ability.  We can have him line-up all over the field and be our mismatch guy when he is on the field.  I can't wait to see Reich's offense.

See I've been wondering if they kinda hope he becomes like Tyreek Hill on the field. With Ballard there when he was drafted I wonder if they saw any of those qualities

Hines on a quick pitch...

Hines on the draw...

Hines on the dive...

Hines on a jet sweep...

Hines on a bubble screen...

Hines releases out to the flat...

Hines on a quick slant...

Hines fields the kick...

This pick has Frank Reich written all ovet it and he just needed to draft him in order to attach his name to all of those plays in his playbook. 

However, I don't think it's all about getting his Darren Sproles - let's not forget the 5'10" and 205 lbs HoF guy he played with in the K-Gun - yes, Thurman Thomas. I see his usage somewhere in the middle.

As far as Wilkins is concerned, he and Mack will probably have a pretty close split on carries based on the gameplan and who's running well that day.

CB loved his pick of Forte back in the day and compared them which means Wilkins will get every opportunity to prove his mettle. Besides, he looks good on film and was highly productive against some stout defenses in the SEC.

The long and short of it.....Hines will make more splash plays while Wilkins will be a steady contributor - each doing the job thier asked to do!

12 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

See I've been wondering if they kinda hope he becomes like Tyreek Hill on the field. With Ballard there when he was drafted I wonder if they saw any of those qualities

I am sure they saw a nice weapon that allows for a mismatch in open space.  You know have him Doyle and Ebron that you can have take advantage of the center of the field and be solid mismatches.  Plus have TY and WR#2 getting open down field after a good amount of short quick passes.  Seem routes for Ebron and Doyle all day.

22 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I'm reserving my vote until I actually see them playing with and against professional athletes.

But ^ is my hope.

I'm not sure what Wilkins receiving ability really is, he only caught a handful of passes in college.  His size isn't much better than Turbin or Michael.  I would have added Jones, but he's just been released.

To the bolded.  What is the matter with you?  Don't you know now is the time to declare unequivocally how good a player is going to be, argue with anyone who disagrees with you and then, when they do take the field, dismiss any facts that don't support your declaration.

You've been on this board long enough Smonroe... you know how this works.

I think Hines has more upside whereas Wilkins is more of a known quantity and will never be more than just solid.  Hines seems more boom or bust for me.  I know they envision him in the Tyreek Hill mold but that's a lot to live up to.

4 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I am sure they saw a nice weapon that allows for a mismatch in open space.  You know have him Doyle and Ebron that you can have take advantage of the center of the field and be solid mismatches.  Plus have TY and WR#2 getting open down field after a good amount of short quick passes.  Seem routes for Ebron and Doyle all day.

Ya and get him as an under route. And return man so chester isnt

• Like 1

Reminds me of LaMichael James.  Speed wont translate to NFL, not enough quick twitch to be a Sproles-type player, not very elusive (man does he take some hard hits at end of runs--he would be better served to learn to finish his runs strongly so he doesn't take so much punishment).  Mack will not not be challenged by Hines unless Mack mentally cant stop his stutter step behind the line or his fumble problems.  There's your hot take.  Revisit me mid-season and have me eat crow if I'm wrong.  (I wont be.  ;))

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, A8bil said:

Reminds me of LaMichael James.  Speed wont translate to NFL, not enough quick twitch to be a Sproles-type player, not very elusive (man does he take some hard hits at end of runs--he would be better served to learn to finish his runs strongly so he doesn't take so much punishment).  Mack will not not be challenged by Hines unless Mack mentally cant stop his stutter step behind the line or his fumble problems.  There's your hot take.  Revisit me mid-season and have me eat crow if I'm wrong.  (I wont be.  ;))

nonsense.  You will be

Just now, krunk said:

nonsense.  You will be

We'll see.  Here's what I'm seeing on his highlight tapes -- (1) rarely causes a defender to take a bad angle, which means he does not have unexpected speed (Same as James); (2) first defender past the LOS in position to tackle him, usually does, which means he has little elusiveness (same as James); and (3) time after time he gets knocked off his feet at the end of his runs with unexpected hits and with Hines not preparing to drive through the tackle, which means he has poor vision on defenders.  Mark this post.  It will prove true. 

• Like 1