Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Brady feels unappreciated

ColtsBlueFL

"Tom Brady pleads '5th' on if Patriots appreciate him"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2018/04/30/tom-brady-on-if-he-feels-appreciated-by-the-patriots-i-plead-the-5th/111156292/

quick hit-

** Tom Brady was asked today at the Milken Institute Global Conference if he feels appreciated by the Patriots. His response: "I plead the 5th..."  

My take, the riff between Brady and Belichick reported earlier this year is real.

• Haha 1

From a Pats fan, this is VERY disappointing to hear....especially on the heels of Gronk's "motocross" presser a couple weekends ago.

Brady has everything a guy could want & has been praised as "Greatest Evah" by his HC on many occasions.  As recent as last off-season, when SF inquired a bout a trade for Brady, BB replied with, "You're asking me if I'd trade the greatest QB in NFL History..."

The Patriots, their fans, and their HC have all praised TB12 as the "GOAT" in many, many different ways over the years. This is a fact.

This issue seems so fabricated (on TB's behalf) & the interview seems so scripted.  It is all starting to wear very thin with many Pats fans out there...

This is a different person that we encountered for the first 3/4 of his career.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

From a Pats fan, this is VERY disappointing to hear....especially on the heels of Gronk's "motocross" presser a couple weekends ago.

Brady has everything a guy could want & has been praised as "Greatest Evah" by his HC on many occasions.  As recent as last off-season, when SF inquired a bout a trade for Brady, BB replied with, "You're asking me if I'd trade the greatest QB in NFL History..."

The Patriots, their fans, and their HC have all praised TB12 as the "GOAT" in many, many different ways over the years. This is a fact.

This issue seems so fabricated (on TB's behalf) & the interview seems so scripted.  It is all starting to wear very thin with many Pats fans out there...

He probably deep down wants to retire considering he will be 41 and has nothing to prove. The guy has kids, a lovely wife, tons of money, and 5 SB wins. I thought Peyton did it perfectly, going out on top getting that huge 2nd SB win and now he is enjoying life with his kids and wife.

Brady's body is taking a beating, he has nothing more to prove to be honest. At some point, the mind grows weary just like the body, no matter how much you keep it in shape. 

1-2 years and I expect Brady to retire after that. Maybe Brady 6 (the 6 QBs that went before him that resulted in an NFL Network series Brady 6) will have that 6th SB ring feel to it, much to our chagrin. :( 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Brady's body is taking a beating, he has nothing more to prove to be honest. At some point, the mind grows weary just like the body, no matter how much you keep it in shape. 

1-2 years and I expect Brady to retire after that. Maybe Brady 6 (the 6 QBs that went before him that resulted in an NFL Network series Brady 6) will have that 6th SB ring feel to it, much to our chagrin. :( 

Yeah I never count the Pats out but I doubt he wins another SB. Not saying he wont but even if he doesn't he's won 5 lmao. Hell if you win 2 you are looked at differently, that guy won 5 :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

While I understand your rationale, TB12 himself was outwardly promoting how great his body & mind feel as recently as 4 months ago (see Tom vs Time).  He also said how he plans on playing 'til 45yo as recently as 4 months ago.

Again, his comments over the past 6 months sound very contradictory IMO.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I never count the Pats out but I doubt he wins another SB.

Me too.. I mean the AFC can continue to be their stomping ground. But the NFC is getting staked. The Rams and Eagles, are going to own the the league.

I don't understand how he can feel unappreciated lol. But then again, NOBODY actually LIKES playing for the Patriots. 

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Me too.. I mean the AFC can continue to be their stomping ground. But the NFC is getting staked. The Rams and Eagles, are going to own the the league.

I don't understand how he can feel unappreciated lol. But then again, NOBODY actually LIKES playing for the Patriots. 

This is probably the first time in his career where someone has tried to trade him and he's acting whiny over it.

Brady should be very appreciative. He was lucky to play in a system that made him successful and put him in the GOAT talk.

It was shown any QB with talent can win and be very successful in that system. The Patriots didn't miss a beat with Brady out.

Look what happened to the Colts and the Packers when their starting QB went down.

On 5/1/2018 at 4:16 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

"Tom Brady pleads '5th' on if Patriots appreciate him"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2018/04/30/tom-brady-on-if-he-feels-appreciated-by-the-patriots-i-plead-the-5th/111156292/

quick hit-

** Tom Brady was asked today at the Milken Institute Global Conference if he feels appreciated by the Patriots. His response: "I plead the 5th..."  

My take, the riff between Brady and Belichick reported earlier this year is real.

I don't mean to be the spoiler...   

But this written story is not accurate...

Yes...   Brady did say the line about pleading the 5th...   but he was mostly (but not entirely) joking...

This was an interview done by reporter JIim Gray in front of a seated audience...  

And there is video...   I actually watched a fair amount of the interview on ESPN....

Brady gave long expansive answers to give his views to the audience...   and he was mostly very polite and respectful to both Belichick and Kraft.

The print story completely misrepresents what was said...    I'm responding in my phone here and can't link...    but when I get the chance I will find the video so you can link it for yourself...

Here is the video I watched....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23369972/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-says-plans-play-season

This really is much ado about not very much....   if this were a bigger story,  it would've been splashed everywhere....  and it wasn't....    blew over in a few hours....    Brady and the Pats are a little strained,  but basically OK...     I wouldn't call them "great"...   the situation with his personal trainer seems very real....    but on balance,  I'd say they're OK...

• Like 1

The Pats should have traded Brady and not Garropolo, seriously can't believe they traded away what could have been another 10 years of winning. Brady's age really showed in the superbowl last year. There comes a point even for TB when your body won't be able to keep up anymore.

29 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

The Pats should have traded Brady and not Garropolo, seriously can't believe they traded away what could have been another 10 years of winning. Brady's age really showed in the superbowl last year. There comes a point even for TB when your body won't be able to keep up anymore.

Bradys age showed?

He threw for a Super Bowl record 505 yards in the loss to the Eagles.   The Pats didn't lose because of Brady...   IMO, they lost because Belichick traded both Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins (good bye pass rush) and lost Hightower to injury, let Vince Woolfolk leave and then foolishly sat down Butler for the game..   none of these guys were adequately replaced...    that's a lot of D-talent to be missing the biggest game of the year.  

Just a different perspective....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He probably deep down wants to retire considering he will be 41 and has nothing to prove. The guy has kids, a lovely wife, tons of money, and 5 SB wins. I thought Peyton did it perfectly, going out on top getting that huge 2nd SB win and now he is enjoying life with his kids and wife.

I've got a hunch that if he had won the last Superbowl, he would have retired, but to lose it how he did on the back of him having the strip sack and failing to catch that one pass on top of a near immaculate performance, the competitor in him is cringing.

15 hours ago, Reality Check said:

Appreciation now-a-days translates into money. Brady has taken past cuts, has he not?

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Bradys age showed?

He threw for a Super Bowl record 505 yards in the loss to the Eagles.   The Pats didn't lose because of Brady...   IMO, they lost because Belichick traded both Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins (good bye pass rush) and lost Hightower to injury, let Vince Woolfolk leave and then foolishly sat down Butler for the game..   none of these guys were adequately replaced...    that's a lot of D-talent to be missing the biggest game of the year.  

Just a different perspective....

Numbers wise yea Brady looked amazing, but IMO that's mainly due to the Eagles very poor defense for the majority of the game, the way they played could have made Bortles look like a superstar. I just remember a lot of plays where Brady looked like an old man among boys, throughout the season as well not just the SB. 

My point is the Pats might have a year or at most 2 years left before age completely shuts down Brady, and they traded away their future in Garrapolo

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Narcosys said:

latest?cb=20140602005515

Pretty much my sentiments exactly.  The Pats fans are even turning on their lord and savior Tom Brady, son of Kraft, part of the trinity with the hoodie spirit BB.  Sports fan are vicious.  NE'ers have known nothing but losing until he shows up and now they are ready to throw him out the door like Jazz on a Fresh Prince episode.  Imagine working on a job for almost 20 years and being heavily responsible in making your company a world or national leader in something only for them to want to replace you early because they want to get that next young hot employee in before you become stale.  I bet you'd feel unappreciated too in that scenario, heck, I bet most on here feel unappreciated in their job now for whatever reason and you're stones at him..........humans what petty creatures.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:14 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I don't mean to be the spoiler...   

But this written story is not accurate...

Yes...   Brady did say the line about pleading the 5th...   but he was mostly (but not entirely) joking...

This was an interview done by reporter JIim Gray in front if a seated audience...  

And there is video...   I actually watched a fair amount of the interview on ESPN....

Brady gave long expansive answers to give his views to the audience...   and he was mostly very polite and respectful to both Belichick and Kraft.

The print story completely misrepresents what was said...    I'm responding in my phone here and can't link...    but when I get the chance I will find the video so you can link it for yourself...

Here is the video I watched....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23369972/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-says-plans-play-season

This really is much ado about not very much....   if this were a bigger story,  it would've been splashed everywhere....  and it wasn't....    blew over in a few hours....    Brady and the Pats are a little strained,  but basically OK...     I wouldn't call them "great"...   the situation with his personal trainer seems very real....    but on balance,  I'd say they're OK...

Spoil Sport.   I like the abbreviated version better..  you know,  where he's being a whiny baby.:Cry:

• Haha 3

On May 1, 2018 at 11:10 AM, IndyScribe said:

Kraft should have let BB trade Brady and kept Garoppolo.

That's what the whole kit and caboodle of the matter is man. Tommy is ticked that Big Bad Bill tried to push him out the door & Emperor Palpatine [BB] is miffed that Kraft protected TB12 instead of insuring the longterm successful transition of the Patriots following the HOF QB. 

Jimmy G. is the thorn in both sides because it dawned on Tom that he too was replaceable & Bill is mad furious actually that Robert squandered their future & forced Belichick to give away Jimmy to San Fran for a bag of peanuts. 

On May 1, 2018 at 5:52 PM, Nesjan3 said:

I agree with the bulk of your thesis NJ3 except for 1 minor point: Brady wouldn't be traded. Kraft would just try & talk his adopted son into retirement or just release him outright with no strings attached to finish his career basically as a symbolic unrestricted free agent given all the Lombardt's he brought the city of Boston & the state of Massachusetts. 

Yeah, this narrative that Brady will play into his mid 40's is ridiculous, wishful thinking. I don't care what Tom's diet is or how many massages he receives. It's all about contact, punishment, & Father Time. Even if I accept that QBs are forcefield protected now & astro turf is no longer around, Brady will never make it to 45 as an active field general. That's fairytale, flights of fancy stuff that will never happen in my lifetime. Well said NJ3. 

Yep, Montana, Manning, Unitas, all finished their career somewhere else. Brady, if he is still driven to play into his middle age will too.  

1 hour ago, jet1968 said:

If I was Tom Brady I would just quit

The classic I wanna reconnect with the Fam defense? Nobody loves their wife & kids that much J68. 

The number 1 reason Tom Couglin took the Jags front office gig is that his wife basically told him to get the hades out of the house. Bonding sounds great until you see the same people day after day. It's the same reason you love when your relatives leave after Christmas. It's great to see you briefly, but after awhile, you're more than happy to get them packed, off to the airport, & the hades out of dodge. 

Lastly, supermodels are hardly super day in; day out. :lol:

On May 1, 2018 at 11:00 AM, 21isSuperman said:

Pats fans are really not enjoying their offseason this year

Here's what I ponder a lot: Why does winning 5 rings pardon or absolve Bill from having to explain why Malcolm Butler didn't play 1 defensive snap in the secondary this past February? 

NE couldn't stop Nick Foles at all & they placed next to no pressure or discomfort on Philly's QB. Butler did make the best SB play in history vs Seattle did he not? And suddenly he's in the doghouse because what he forgot how to cover WRs & TEs? Nobody is immune from constructive criticism. I don't care how much hardware a coach has. It doesn't make Bill bulletproof or above reproach. 

Look, I will always hold the Hoodie in high regard just off what he did as a DC in NY for Big Blue. If I was on that roster, screw the Patriot Way man. Trade my caboose. I don't care. You're gonna tell me why Malcolm wasn't out there. This isn't about curfew issues or time management tardiness. This is about a HOF HC's ego & how he bleeped up or grossly miscalculated in the most important game of the yr. 

Here's the problem: The Patriot Way is about total honesty & checking your ego at the door in order to win right? The pink elephant in the room is this: What good is the Patriot Way if it only applies to players & coordinators, but never the head coach himself? Talk about a glaring double standard on Bill's part. This is why the fracture in the locker room has grown so large & leaks are occurring IMO.

WR Danny Amendola now a Dolphin hasn't gotten a satisfactory reply from Bill as to why their best DB was absent & on the sidelines most of the SB. This kind of stuff festers & grows. A lack of transparency  from the top or 2nd in command. I firmly believe that too. Rules have to apply to everybody. Otherwise, The Patriot Way is simply a lie, a joke, a facade, & complete fabrication. 

Can NE win another SB? Yes, but blind trust has been shattered forever now amongst the players & BB. 

On May 1, 2018 at 4:14 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Humor or satire is often used as a weapon to speak the truth. Tommy is pleading the 5th because if really opened up about where things stand between Bill & Brady he'd  be in slinging the duke in a new zip code for sure. It's all about tone, facial expressions, & what wasn't said. 

TB12 is seething. Don't let his swell demeanor, water under the bridge fool you NCF.

One guy mumbles [BB] & the other guy pretends everything is grand & perfectly fine publicly like a volcano right before an eruption or an avalanche just prior to a tsunami showing up. The calm before the storm. Time to get comfortable & get some munchies man. :popcorn:

Let's see, Brady has more money than God, is destined to wear a yellow jacket, & has fans around every corner of the globe. I agree CBFL. He's definitely got it rough. :sarcasm:

Tom's got his detractors & enemies too sure, but all in all; TB12 lives a charmed life that most of us would kill for or be envious of. 1 lucky son of a...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, southwest1 said:

That's what the whole kit and caboodle of the matter is man. Tommy is ticked that Big Bad Bill tried to push him out the door & Emperor Palpatine [BB] is miffed that Kraft protected TB12 instead of insuring the longterm successful transition of the Patriots following the HOF QB. 

Jimmy G. is the thorn in both sides because it dawned on Tom that he too was replaceable & Bill is mad furious actually that Robert squandered their future & forced Belichick to give away Jimmy to San Fran for a bag of peanuts. 

I agree that this is part of it but, in the end, TB12 got HIS way. IMO, he now feels empowered to take on BB with regards to ANOTHER issue which is also at the core of this whole thing....Alex Guerrero.

Yes, TB12 is VERY irked that his personal trainer had his "access" yanked from BB.  It is my opinion that, until Guerrero regains his "all-access" status with the Pats, TB will continue to express his "discontent".

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:08 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

All the appreciative texts from the team are on that phone he destroyed. But Seriously Tom, Boo Hoo.

Ok...that's gotta win best comment of the week or something. Mods give this man a crown. lol

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, Reality Check said:

While I understand your rationale, TB12 himself was outwardly promoting how great his body & mind feel as recently as 4 months ago (see Tom vs Time).  He also said how he plans on playing 'til 45yo as recently as 4 months ago.

Again, his comments over the past 6 months sound very contradictory IMO.

I think when your playing and in the moment...you can't imagine anything other than that...then you get outside of football and you see how valuable your time and body is to your family...it makes you think. Let's be honest...these sports stars are often very selfish individuals when it comes to their time and family. They spend most of the year training, game planning, on the road...and its their job its understandable...but after you have so much money...so many accolades...so many records...it then has to be asked what then becomes his priority...and a guy his age family definitely starts to become more and more important. I don't blame him if he walks away at the top...even if his body is capable. Sometimes its best to do that before the body falls apart like Brett Favre's or Peyton's. Give them that last image of you steal wheeling and dealing.

I think he has been appreciated by the media and fans sufficiently but the ownership and coach...probably not enough. Taking less then market value for his contracts (probably at least 100 million less over his career) taking the verbal etc from Belichick, preaching the team importance and not saying it's a team....but without Brady it wouldn't matter how good the team was they still wouldn't achieve what they have achieved. He has done it all for that organization...so to have things probably sour (I guess maybe rift between Belichick and Brady's trainer etc) I could see where he believes he does things differently and that is what has made him the greatest and then to say no you must do things our way...its a little insulting.

I do think you do everything possible to keep Jimmy. You franchise tag him...you do anything to keep his rights...and you tell Tom this is your last contract we won't reup again. You can play it out and retire, free agent, or we can trade you if that is your wish. You can go out on your terms but we are transitioning....but you don't give up Jimmy and you don't sell Tom short. He can end his career like Joe Montana or Brett or lots of other greats before that decided to leave and finish somewhere else, he can retire...but you typically don't let the player dictate how the organization is run...and you don't insult a great...it's a fine line. Most importantly...you don't let the future walk out the door. You just have to make a decision...guess they did...not sure if its the right one but they did. Honestly, I think if they said they decide to keep Jimmy and build around him Tom would likely decide to either retire a year earlier or he asks for a trade or be cut so he can finish his career making a run on his own. We will see how this ends up...I do think the writing is on the wall....depends on what happens. I do think he wants to break Peyton's records but the problem is Drew is right there too....he may just say screw it...rings matter the most and this might be his last year. I absolutely think this is Gronks last year...team is transitioning.