Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Guards drafted

Valpo2004

27 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Look at where he drafted them.  

If you look at the first 2 rounds, Grigson drafted 2 OL and Ballard has drafted 2 OL.  But Ballard hasn't been here nearly as long as Grigson was.  

Drafting a bunch of day 3 guys doesn't count as commitment.  Being committed to get better in an area means spending your top picks on the area.  6 of 10 of those guys are day 3 guys for Grigs. 

True - Matt Light (Round 2), Logan Mankins (Round 1), Nate Solder (Round 1), Sebastian Vollmer (Round 2) have been some of the high OL picks the Patriots have invested in. Nick Kaczur (Round 3), Joe Thuney (Round 3), Shaq Mason (Round 4) and Cameron Fleming (Round 4) were mid-round OL picks they have invested in as well.

So, one has to be willing to get a few draft day 1 and day 2 guys on the OL, to be committed to protecting the QB.

35 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

there is no guarantee an elite guard will re sign at the end of their contract, we just saw norwell walk in fa

There is no guarantee that is true, but Norwell is a bad example, it's not like Carolina offered him a contract and he said no.  Carolina chose not to offer him a contract so he became a FA.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

There is no guarantee that is true, but Norwell is a bad example, it's not like Carolina offered him a contract and he said no.  Carolina chose not to offer him a contract so he became a FA.

they couldnt afford him, he would have taken most of their available cap space 

20 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

they couldnt afford him, he would have taken most of their available cap space 

Ok.  Your post made it sound like Norwell decided to test FAs.  But that was not the case the Panthers decided not to sign him.  And if they really wanted to they could have, the salary cap can be manipulated in a lot of different ways.

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Ok.  Your post made it sound like Norwell decided to test FAs.  But that was not the case the Panthers decided not to sign him.  And if they really wanted to they could have, the salary cap can be manipulated in a lot of different ways.

thats true, but this conversation started as a debate about the value of running backs

this is getting kind of far away from that 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

True - Matt Light (Round 2), Logan Mankins (Round 1), Nate Solder (Round 1), Sebastian Vollmer (Round 2) have been some of the high OL picks the Patriots have invested in.

Probably not the best example since it goes back to the millennium! 

Are you saying that drafting an offensive lineman in the first two rounds once every 4/5 years is the sort of commitment you want to see?

29 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Are you saying that drafting an offensive lineman in the first two rounds once every 4/5 years is the sort of commitment you want to see?

If the team needs them, yes.  Every team and there needs change from year to year.

With the Colts we have seen our QBs get sacked, hit and injured more than any QBs in the league over the last few years. Having the so called big name or whatever player is the flavor of the draft does no good till the core of the team is built.

I don't understand why you don't understand that and you bring a never ending argumentative narrative when more than a few of us try to make you see why we think different than you do.

If your opinion is different that's fine but why keep beating a dead horse when you say the same thing over and over? No matter how many times you say it, it's not going to effect those who think different.

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

Yes. One serves the purpose of establishing a core, another serves the purpose of replenishing it, IMO. I hope I made myself clear. :) 

We will now have 3 first round picks (Castanzo in 2011, Kelly in 2016 and Nelson in 2018) on our OL, much like the Cowboys do, across 7 years, which seems like an eternity in the NFL.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If the team needs them, yes.  Every team and there needs change from year to year.

With the Colts we have seen our QBs get sacked, hit and injured more than any QBs in the league over the last few years. Having the so called big name or whatever player is the flavor of the draft does no good till the core of the team is built.

I don't understand why you don't understand that and you bring a never ending argumentative narrative when more than a few of us try to make you see why we think different than you do.

If your opinion is different that's fine but why keep beating a dead horse when you say the same thing over and over? No matter how many times you say it, it's not going to effect those who think different.

It's not even argumentative. It's just a poor example.

I'm sure there's other teams that could have been used who had drafted more than 2 offensive linemen in the first round since the turn of the millennium.

And I do understand it's about team needs. I just don't really understand why out need seems to be greater than anybody else's. That's an old point though and there seems little value going over it again.

47 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

It's not even argumentative. It's just a poor example.

I'm sure there's other teams that could have been used who had drafted more than 2 offensive linemen in the first round since the turn of the millennium.

And I do understand it's about team needs. I just don't really understand why out need seems to be greater than anybody else's. That's an old point though and there seems little value going over it again.

Our team needs seem to be greater than anyone's else?  We finished 4-12. We had the 3rd pick in the draft.

The Colts drafts were 90% bust over the last 3-4 years. The free agents signed were either bust or injured.

Take your pick.

Maybe your opinion of positional value is different than Ballard's in the draft? You are not alone in that thinking.

That's cool but that is not the direction Ballard chose to go. We have to accept it or not. Makes no difference, it's done.

Talking and trying to make different points of views is pretty much a waste of time at this point.

We are all Colt fans so lets just see how it all plays out.

On 4/30/2018 at 8:27 AM, Valpo2004 said:

I read this and I think this is awesome. . . we almost certainly got a lot better up front.

We just drafted both of the 2017 AP first team All American guards in this draft.  

Listen I said before that I would have rather had Josh Jackson over Smith, but I can say this.  Ballard is 100% committed to keeping Andrew Luck protected.  Grigson never showed this level of commitment to protecting the franchise.  

Nice tidbit I saw earlier on Braden Smith...

On 5/10/2018 at 9:24 PM, ClaytonColt said:

Pats have nailed most of their top picks when it comes to oline. Having the best OL coach in the game helps too. Hopefully we nailed those picks so we don't have to invest that high resources on OL for a while.