Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Projected 47 Roster - Post Draft

John Hammonds

Put together my post-draft 47 roster.  Found myself having to answer hard questions.  Do you keep a 3rd QB on the roster?  Is there still value in G Vujnovich and T Clark after our heavy OL draft?  We're still thin at WR, LB, and DT.  There's no true quality 1-gap DT on this roster.  Can Antonio Morrison pull a Rob Morris, and move to Sam 'backer for a couple of years?  Is this the year TJ Green finds some starting time?  Or will he finally fall off the roster?  Do we give the starting DE position to Basham due to scheme, even though he really hasn't earned it?  Please note that even though we're still thin at LB, I cut both of our 7th round LB picks, including the guy we traded Hank Anderson for.

What would you do?

QB Andrew Luck, Stanford - STARTER - PRO BOWL

QB Jacoby Brissett, NC State

QB Brad Kaaya, Miami

RB Marlon Mack, USF - STARTER

RB Robert Turbin, Utah State

RB Nyhelm Hines, NC State - Rookie

RB Jordan Wilkins, Mississippi - Rookie

RB Josh Ferguson, Illinois

WR T Y Hilton, Florida International - STARTER - PRO BOWL

WR Ryan Grant, Tulane

WR Chester Rogers, Grambling State

WR Deon Cain, Clemson - Rookie

WR Daurice Fountain, Northern Iowa - Rookie

TE Jack Doyle, Western Kentucky - STARTER - PRO BOWL

TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina - STARTER

TE Erik Swoope, Miami

T Anthony Castonzo, Boston College - STARTER

G Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame - Rookie - STARTER

C Ryan Kelly, Alabama - STARTER

G Jack Mewhort, Ohio St - STARTER

T Joe Haeg, North Dakota St - STARTER

G Braden Smith, Auburn - Rookie

G/C Matt Slauson, Nebraska

T/G Denzelle Goode, Mars Hill

G Jeremy Vujnovich, Louisiana College

T Le'Raven Clark, Texas Tech

DE Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pitt - STARTER

DT Hassan Ridgeway, Texas - STARTER

DT Al Woods, LSU - STARTER

DE Tarell Basham, Ohio - STARTER

DE Kemoko Turay, Rutgers - Rookie

DT Grover Stewart, Albany St

DE Tyquan Lewis, Ohio St - Rookie

OLB Darius Leonard, South Carolina St - Rookie - STARTER

ILB Anthony Walker, Northwestern - STARTER

OLB John Simon, Ohio St - STARTER

LB Antonio Morrison, Florida

OLB Josh Perry, Ohio St

CB Quincy Wilson, Florida - STARTER

CB Pierre Desir, Lindenwood - STARTER

S Malik Hooker, Ohio St - STARTER

S Clayton Geathers, Central Florida - STARTER

CB Nate Hairston, Temple

S Matthias Farley, Notre Dame

S T J Green, Clemson

K Adam Vinatieri, South Dakota St

P Rigoberto Sanchez, Hawaii

7 minutes ago, Indy Fan said:

Didn’t CB say he was going to play Simon as a DE?

I laid it out that way to begin with.  But when I did, I couldn't find a qualified starter at Sam 'backer.  And the LB's were even thinner than they are now.  The whole roster just didn't balance very well that way.  So, I kept him at LB, and started Basham at DE.  This was one of the hard quandries I had when putting this roster together.

24 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I laid it out that way to begin with.  But when I did, I couldn't find a qualified starter at Sam 'backer.  And the LB's were even thinner than they are now.  The whole roster just didn't balance very well that way.  So, I kept him at LB, and started Basham at DE.  This was one of the hard quandries I had when putting this roster together.

The defense will probably feature more 4-2-5 looks than the standard 4-3 base. So, no, Simon won't be playing SAM (he'll be playing RDE) and Tyquan would beat out Basham on one of those end spots. Tyquan, right now, is a better DE than Basham is. With the additions of Turay, Lewis, and Autry, Basham might not even make the top 53.

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Put together my post-draft 47 roster.  Found myself having to answer hard questions.  Do you keep a 3rd QB on the roster?  Is there still value in G Vujnovich and T Clark after our heavy OL draft?  We're still thin at WR, LB, and DT.  There's no true quality 1-gap DT on this roster.  Can Antonio Morrison pull a Rob Morris, and move to Sam 'backer for a couple of years?  Is this the year TJ Green finds some starting time?  Or will he finally fall off the roster?  Do we give the starting DE position to Basham due to scheme, even though he really hasn't earned it?  Please note that even though we're still thin at LB, I cut both of our 7th round LB picks, including the guy we traded Hank Anderson for.

What would you do?

QB Andrew Luck, Stanford - STARTER - PRO BOWL

QB Jacoby Brissett, NC State

QB Brad Kaaya, Miami

RB Marlon Mack, USF - STARTER

RB Robert Turbin, Utah State

RB Nyhelm Hines, NC State - Rookie

RB Jordan Wilkins, Mississippi - Rookie

RB Josh Ferguson, Illinois

WR T Y Hilton, Florida International - STARTER - PRO BOWL

WR Ryan Grant, Tulane

WR Chester Rogers, Grambling State

WR Deon Cain, Clemson - Rookie

WR Daurice Fountain, Northern Iowa - Rookie

TE Jack Doyle, Western Kentucky - STARTER - PRO BOWL

TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina - STARTER

TE Erik Swoope, Miami

T Anthony Castonzo, Boston College - STARTER

G Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame - Rookie - STARTER

C Ryan Kelly, Alabama - STARTER

G Jack Mewhort, Ohio St - STARTER

T Joe Haeg, North Dakota St - STARTER

G Braden Smith, Auburn - Rookie

G/C Matt Slauson, Nebraska

T/G Denzelle Goode, Mars Hill

G Jeremy Vujnovich, Louisiana College

T Le'Raven Clark, Texas Tech

DE Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pitt - STARTER

DT Hassan Ridgeway, Texas - STARTER

DT Al Woods, LSU - STARTER

DE Tarell Basham, Ohio - STARTER

DE Kemoko Turay, Rutgers - Rookie

DT Grover Stewart, Albany St

DE Tyquan Lewis, Ohio St - Rookie

OLB Darius Leonard, South Carolina St - Rookie - STARTER

ILB Anthony Walker, Northwestern - STARTER

OLB John Simon, Ohio St - STARTER

LB Antonio Morrison, Florida

OLB Josh Perry, Ohio St

CB Quincy Wilson, Florida - STARTER

CB Pierre Desir, Lindenwood - STARTER

S Malik Hooker, Ohio St - STARTER

S Clayton Geathers, Central Florida - STARTER

CB Nate Hairston, Temple

S Matthias Farley, Notre Dame

S T J Green, Clemson

K Adam Vinatieri, South Dakota St

P Rigoberto Sanchez, Hawaii

John....

Please forgive me...   I don't mean to pick on you...   but you've started on a faulty premise...    the 47 man roster....   at this time of year it's almost meaningless..,   Because it's the game day roster.   And I think the number might be 46, I'm not certain...?

What you want to create is the 53 man roster.  53 is the only real meaningful number right now...  That's the day in and day out roster...  The smaller roster is only for The game and that will change week to week depending on injuries and the opponent.

So start with 53 and your decisions will likely change....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bshultz said:

Denico Autry, Najee Goode, and Jeremiah George?

George is someone Matt Danely really likes, I cant say I have seen enough tape on him but Danely thinks he can be a strong member of the roster.

I also really like the look and potential of Ross Travis at TE.  I don't disagree with the OP's top 3, but I would like us to find a place for Travis, especially with Reich's likely use of 2 TE's in some packages.

• Like 1

We almost need a spread of all the players on the team currently at their potential positions and then run down the tree of who will start, the back up tree and who the cuts look likely to be because when it’s presented like this, it’s hard to recall everyone that’s currently signed to the roster. Of course this churn of potentials will continue to evolve up to opening day but it will be fun to see it early and give the fans something to discuss and debate over the next 3-5 months 

• Like 1

Infortunately for a few of our draft picks, i can see at least 3 getting cut and replaced by udfa. Ismael, Scales, Cobbs will make our roster. 

Just now, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Infortunately for a few of our draft picks, i can see at least 3 getting cut and replaced by udfa. Ismael, Scales, Cobbs will make our roster. 

And Moore

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

John....

Please forgive me...   I don't mean to pick on you...   but you've started on a faulty premise...    the 47 man roster....   at this time of year it's almost meaningless..,   Because it's the game day roster.   And I think the number might be 46, I'm not certain...?

What you want to create is the 53 man roster.  53 is the only real meaningful number right now...  That's the day in and day out roster...  The smaller roster is only for The game and that will change week to week depending on injuries and the opponent.

So start with 53 and your decisions will likely change....

Hooray!  I can put a lot of guys back in like Demico Autry and the long snapper, and some of the linebackers!  Yay!

Regardless, when you start fiddling with this, you get an appreciation of just how bad this team's depth has been over the last few years.  We had some decent starters, but if anybody got injured (and, boy, did they get injured a lot!), the next man up was working at Home Depot just the week before.  Who are these guys??

I'm not going to redo it.  I'll let others try their hand at laying out the full 53.  It's a good exercise, though!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

The defense will probably feature more 4-2-5 looks than the standard 4-3 base. So, no, Simon won't be playing SAM (he'll be playing RDE) and Tyquan would beat out Basham on one of those end spots. Tyquan, right now, is a better DE than Basham is. With the additions of Turay, Lewis, and Autry, Basham might not even make the top 53.

I was even wondering if Geathers would play some linebacker in nickle situations, and put the best players on the field all at the same time.

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There's no way that Braden Smith will be a backup. He will start day 1. The line will be Constanzo/Nelson/Kelly/Smith/Mewhort. Haeg isn't touching the starting 5 unless Mewhort gets hurt.

I ran with the assumption that we had already tried Mewhort at RT, and it didn't work out all that well.  I agree that Smith ought to be good enough to start right away.  It's a nice problem to have, having too many players of starting quality.  :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Basham was out of position last year. You think ballard would cut a 3rd round pick HE TOOK, most likely knowing the future of a 4-3?

9 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I ran with the assumption that we had already tried Mewhort at RT, and it didn't work out all that well.  I agree that Smith ought to be good enough to start right away.  It's a nice problem to have, having too many players of starting quality.  :D

Not a bad 'way too early' roster guess. 

On offense, I'd probably say Kaaya's mother says "Bye Falicia" to him (look it up).  Ferguson is gone, we add a TE who can block, and I'd love to cut Vujnovich but they gave him a contract so he's probably set.

1 hour ago, jacksonjalovec said:

Basham was out of position last year. You think ballard would cut a 3rd round pick HE TOOK, most likely knowing the future of a 4-3?

He did cut his 4th round pick (Banner) last year after training camp. Bringing in 3 more DE's this year tells me Ballard wasn't satisfied with what he had after Simon and Sheard. Yes, I think Basham could end up being the odd man out with the group of guys Ballard just brought in.

8 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

He did cut his 4th round pick (Banner) last year after training camp. Bringing in 3 more DE's this year tells me Ballard wasn't satisfied with what he had after Simon and Sheard. Yes, I think Basham could end up being the odd man out with the group of guys Ballard just brought in.

I don't.  He just got through saying we want to attack in waves.

We didn't have enough depth behind the two starters Simon and Sheard. You're going to be pass rusher heavy in this scheme . It's the most vital part of what we do.  Only way I see Basham out is if he doesn't do anything. Same reason Banner was out. I like how Basham finished the year. He was finally starting to put things together.  I think he'll do even better in a scheme he's familiar with and knowing better how to approach things as a pro.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Banner was high risk high reward. He recognized that Banner was not going to reach his potential from his physical tools and cut him. Basham a higher floor pick than Banner. I do not think you can compare the to.

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There's no way that Braden Smith will be a backup. He will start day 1. The line will be Constanzo/Nelson/Kelly/Smith/Mewhort. Haeg isn't touching the starting 5 unless Mewhort gets hurt.

Jack is one of my favorite players. But he couldn't handle RT before he got hurt. No way he can now, with worn out knees.  

My bold prediction would be that Simon might not make the final 53. I know Ballard said they’re keeping him at DE, and that’s where he played in college, but I don’t see him holding up there in this scheme. He’s 6’1”. We just drafted 2 DEs to pair with Basham from last draft. He’s expendable because he’s not an ideal scheme fit.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

My bold prediction would be that Simon might not make the final 53. I know Ballard said they’re keeping him at DE, and that’s where he played in college, but I don’t see him holding up there in this scheme. He’s 6’1”. We just drafted 2 DEs to pair with Basham from last draft. He’s expendable because he’s not an ideal scheme fit.

If healthy, he should be very good trade bait.
 He proved beyond all doubt he is a very good rotational rush DE in the 4-2-5.

If we can get to the start of the season with Autry, Sheard, and Basham healthy, i think we will look for a trade partner for him. For a CB or LB?

59 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

If healthy, he should be very good trade bait.
 He proved beyond all doubt he is a very good rotational rush DE in the 4-2-5.

If we can get to the start of the season with Autry, Sheard, and Basham healthy, i think we will look for a trade partner for him. For a CB or LB?

If you trade him, it’d be for a low value player. But he probably just gets cut before camp. I loved him in the 3-4, but at his height and weight, I don’t see how he works in the 4-3.

9 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I thought i had read that they were either signed udfa or attending our camp. Scales i guess is not at all and not sure about Cobbs and Moore. Suppose I was just hopeful.

Skai Moore signed. Scales signed with the Rams, Cobbs with the Redskins.

Honestly looking at this there is so much uncertainty of what our defense is gonna look like so picking the players on it is a complete guess but here’s a 53 Man Roster No particular order on the names and how depth will be:

OFFENSE

Quarterbacks (2): Jacoby Brissett,  Andrew Luck

Running backs (4): Nyheim Hines, Marlon Mack, Robert Turbin, Jordan Wilkins

(I think both rookies could make it, another scenario is that one gets cut to make room for Christine Michaels)

• Wide receivers (5): Deon Cain, Daurice Fountain, Ryan Grant, T.Y. Hilton, Chester Rogers

• Tight ends (4):, Darrell Daniels, Jack Doyle, Eric Ebron, Erik Swoope

• Offensive line (10): Deyshawn Bond, Anthony Castonzo, Le'Raven Clark, Denzelle Good, Joe Haeg, Ryan Kelly, Jack Mewhort, Quenton Nelson, Matt Slauson, Braden Smith

DEFENSE

• Defensive line (10): Denico Autry, Tarell Basham, Tyquan Lewis, Kemoko Turay Grover Stewart, Al Woods, Jabaal Sheard, John Simon, Hassan Ridgeway, Joey Mbu

(Wouldn't be surprised to see Simon traded)

• Linebackers (6): Darius Leonard, Anthony Walker, Najee Goode, Tyrell Adams, Matthew Adams, Zaire Franklin

(I can see Both drafted 7th rounders becoming back ups and I can also see them getting cut soon after the 53 man cut for a player another team drops, I assume Najee Goode is safe sense we signed him and Anthony Walker and Leonard will be starters)

• Cornerbacks (5): Kenneth Acker, Pierre Desir, Nate Hairston, Quincy Wilson, Kenny Moore II

• Safeties (4): Matthias Farley, Clayton Geathers, T.J. Green, Malik Hooker,

(Yes Green survives another training camp because of his athletic ability and the new coaches liking his potential as a Safety or Corner, Heck they may even try him at linebacker)

SPECIAL TEAMS

• Kicker (1): Adam Vinatieri

• Punter (1): Rigoberto Sanchez

• Long snapper (1): Luke Rhodes

Overall I think we will see a lot of changes on the roster by september 1st and some names that we have known will get cut