Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade for Shane Ray!

With the selection the Broncos made in Bradley Chubb, if I'm Ballard I'd try making a move for Shane Ray. Last year he was hurt but is a guy that I think that can be a huge asset for the new 4-3 defense. In Missouri, he mostly played with his hand in the dirt. He has a really good first step and could see him being a strong player if he came here. It's seeming like they will not exercise his 5th year option now and see them keeping Shaq Barrett over Ray next off season. I think Ballard could get him for a mid round pick next year.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think he's too small to play 4-3 DE in the NFL...    think he's more comfortable as a 3-4 OLB...

Shane Ray has the identical size and weight as Vic Beasley. I think Vic Beasley is just doing fine in Alanta Falcons 4-3 defense. Rember Ballard is saying he wants Fast players for the defense. I think Ray checks the box.

24 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Boooooo! Misleading title got me riled up haha 

While I like the idea of trading for a quality pass rusher or LB I don't want to lose future draft capital. Quite the conundrum 

I'm thinking a 4th or 5th. Worth the gamble in my opinion. Its not like Ray is a Bust he just got replaced by someone a lot better

7 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

John Elway hates the Colts organization. He wouldn’t give Ray to us for anything less than a 2nd at worst.

And I guarantee he took Chubb because he knew we would if he didn’t. 

Lol. The minute GM’s start picking players they think the team they dislike would take is the start of their last year in an organization. So while John may or may not like the Colts, I’m not sure they would alter their top pick based on what we “might” do. Chubb was considered a top 3 (some rated as top pick) pick and also fit with what the Broncos do so it was a very good pick at #5 

Forget Shane Ray, we are not getting him. If Elway won't cut bait with Lynch, the QB, that he invested a first round pick in, he will not get rid of Shane Ray that he spent a 1st and a 3rd/4th on, if I remember. At least Shane has been on the field longer than Lynch. Besides, pass rushers can take some time to start producing.

However, let us keep an eye for Jeff Holland of Auburn in the list of cuts for the Broncos. They have Von Miller, Bradley Chubb, Shane Ray, and Shaq Barrett. Now, they signed Jeff Holland of Auburn as an UDFA. He was rated a round 4-5 pick on nfl.com - so worth keeping an eye on him for a rotational pass rusher.

I am not sure if we were interested in him as an UDFA, maybe due to the fact he played primarily in a 2 point stance??? Here are some more highlights of his:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/2018-nfl-draft-player-profiles-auburn-edge-jeff-holland/

54 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Lol. The minute GM’s start picking players they think the team they dislike would take is the start of their last year in an organization. So while John may or may not like the Colts, I’m not sure they would alter their top pick based on what we “might” do. Chubb was considered a top 3 (some rated as top pick) pick and also fit with what the Broncos do so it was a very good pick at #5 

Exactly!!! Actually, on ESPN, they were talking about the Bills having a trade in place with the Broncos which fell through at the last moment when the Broncos saw that Bradley Chubb was on the board at No.5 - so that meant they had him rated just as high as most teams.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

John Elway hates the Colts organization. He wouldn’t give Ray to us for anything less than a 2nd at worst.

And I guarantee he took Chubb because he knew we would if he didn’t. 

Umm, no.

• Like 1

Having gone from @BlueShoe's excellent Big Board 2019 post to this one has given me pause to say that, rather than trading for a solid DE now and losing a future pick, with next year's draft looking very strong at this position, we would be better to wait and see what we can get at that time.

Trading draft picks for players seems to be really against Ballard's MO and he is more likely to scoure the cuts and undrafted free agents for a diamond in the rough (with little risk) than go for someone from another team's 53.

• Thanks 1