Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Q. Nelson, R. Kelly, B. Smith

Caffrey

Now this the draft is over.

I'm really looking forward to seeing our Colts in a 3rd and short yard situation.  With LG - Q. Nelson. OC - R. Kelly, RG - B. Smith starting, and have any of our RB's that Coach Reich chooses to run it up the middle.  I would expect consistent success.  As a fan, that would be great to watch, and if they are consistent, could open up a periodic fake hand-off and pass. Would really open things up.  Just have make sure our tackles and tight ends cover the edge, don't want to have a LB or DB come form the outside for the tackles when there is good blocking in the middle, like what Willie McGinest did to Edgerrin James at our 1 yard line in our almost come from behind lost at home, cost us hosting the playing game to the Patriots.

• Like 3

What I like about that as well....Nelson zero sacks allowed the last 2 years....Kelly 0 sacks allowed his rookie year and Smith gave up 1 sack last year.

If they come anywhere near that production again against the Jags, or Titans or the Texans then I smell a potential division title again.....

• Like 6

THIS is what I like about the three Amigos mentioned, ALL came from POWERHOUSE teams & performed at the highest level amongst the highest level!  Nothing against Grigson picks (ok lots against) on the OL but he chose the COMPLETE opposite & it shows(ed).  CB & Staff GET IT!!

Polian said (before our draft) that New Orleans takes care of Bree's by keeping the 2 guards and center positions strong.  Because of his .lack of height.  And we know from the NASCAR package that Brady doesn't like inside up,the middle  pressure.  

26 minutes ago, Calmack said:

I am glad this is even possible. This is much needed healthy competition. 

Sure competition will ensue, however it's highly unlikely Mewhort doesn't start if healthy. Mewhort when healthy imo is our best olinemen

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

Polian said (before our draft) that New Orleans takes care of Bree's by keeping the 2 guards and center positions strong.  Because of his .lack of height.  And we know from the NASCAR package that Brady doesn't like inside up,the middle  pressure.  

considering most of the better pass rushers in the division are interior lineman - the draft makes alot of sense. 

There isn't really an edge rusher that is that worrying. 

I'm also super excited to see Nelson choke slam or * someone 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

You don’t think JJ Watt, Clowney and Ngakoue are worrying?

JJ and Clownface are both interior so no I wouldn’t worry much about them off the edge. TBH I don’t really get the Clownman hype he shows up when he wants and most games he hasn’t been a factor against us neither has JJ. NGAwkwehyprotein is more or less a product of a really stout front seven and some damn good players in the back end. Is there any other edge rushers you think are good ? I mean orakpo over the hill - but you probably think Casey is an edge rusher too? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I see your point.   IMO, the difference is that you can much more easily have a RB or TE block an edge rusher. 

If we're planning on having a running back block any of those three we might as well start fitting Luck for a neck brace now! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

He’s played it before so I don’t see why he couldn’t succeed at RT

Smith played two games as Tackle in college.  Mewhort has played RT in the NFL and did not do bad.  You might be looking at this backwards.  A healthy Mewhort might be kicked out to RT.

13 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Smith played two games as Tackle in college.  Mewhort has played RT in the NFL and did not do bad.  You might be looking at this backwards.  A healthy Mewhort might be kicked out to RT.

I suppose i was just looking at it from an agility aspect. Was thinking a younger maybe more agile Smith would have whats needed to hang on the outside. If Jacks legs are healthy maybe he can do it. None the less, nice to have this flexibity for a change.

26 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

He’s played it before so I don’t see why he couldn’t succeed at RT

32" arms. If he cant get a hand on the rusher he will be eaten alive by longer arm rushers. Guard is his spot. Even if he has to sit behind Mewhort until needed. Smith will be the starting RG by the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, KB said:

32" arms. If he cant get a hand on the rusher he will be eaten alive by longer arm rushers. Guard is his spot. Even if he has to sit behind Mewhort until needed. Smith will be the starting RG by the end of the season.

You have me picturing him as a Tyrannosaurs Rex

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I suppose i was just looking at it from an agility aspect. Was thinking a younger maybe more agile Smith would have whats needed to hang on the outside. If Jacks legs are healthy maybe he can do it. None the less, nice to have this flexibity for a change.

Training camp will be interesting this for sure.  I bet they have a few guys try the RT spot.  It very well could be Smith getting some lessons and pushing out there.  I can see some good competition and a strong starting caliber line this year.

1 hour ago, Alex22 said:

JJ and Clownface are both interior so no I wouldn’t worry much about them off the edge. TBH I don’t really get the Clownman hype he shows up when he wants and most games he hasn’t been a factor against us neither has JJ. NGAwkwehyprotein is more or less a product of a really stout front seven and some damn good players in the back end. Is there any other edge rushers you think are good ? I mean orakpo over the hill - but you probably think Casey is an edge rusher too? 

I mean, not to get technical, but Jadeveon Clowney’s strip sack on Luck back in 2016 was a pretty huge turning point and was essentially the reason we lost that game and the division that year. Kinda a factor that game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex22 said:

What are you talking about? JJ and Clowney are both DEs. JJ plays where he wants but is primarily on the edge, and  Clowney never moves inside. And they’ve never been a factor against us? Lol what fantasy are you living in? We’ve been lucky that we havent seen them both healthy at the same time.

31 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I mean, not to get technical, but Jadeveon Clowney’s strip sack on Luck back in 2016 was a pretty huge turning point and was essentially the reason we lost that game and the division that year. Kinda a factor that game.

He also caused an interception with one of his hits. And watt has sacked and pressured Luck many times, and also had a scoop and score against us. I don’t think Alex22 is watching the same sport as us.

3 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

If Mewhort is healthy, can Smith play tackle?

More likely that Mewhort would play tackle then Smith.

Smith only had a couple starts there in college.  Mewhort was a left tackle with OSU.  He also has like 3 or 4 starts at tackle in the pros but got moved inside because the combination of Louis and Cole was getting Luck murdered.  (Interior pressure is killer to QB's)

I still believe Mewhort if he could stay healthy (the biggest if in this situation) could play right tackle for us.  

5 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Lined up against (drum roll) the greatest left tackle in the world.....

dwayne allen :cheer:

20 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

Lined up against (drum roll) the greatest left tackle in the world.....

dwayne allen :cheer:

Wasn’t Watt also NOT playing that game? So the ONE dude we have to worry about, and we put a TE on him one on one.......

Almost as dumb as when we left Joe Reitz to block VON MILLER one in one that same season. That play resulted in a scoop and score for the Broncos haha