Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

right tackle

ColtsFanMikeC

Personally, I was shocked to see us go guard again with our #3 pick, but the more I think about it... the more I like this draft.

In Nelson, I think we have a 10-12 year all-pro at one guard spot.  I think Smith can also be a pro-bowl caliber guy.  If Kelly can stay healthy, we have 3 pro-bowlers on the inside of our OL (and all are young!).

Right now, our OL went from being our weak link to perhaps being one of our top 3 strong points.  We are set for at least a few more years with an above-average and solid player in Castonzo at LT.  If healthy, we have a stalwart at C in Kelly.  I think we have 2 extremely talented Gs around him in Smith and Nelson.  I like our interior depth with Mewhort, Slauson, Bond, Vujnovich and others (Haeg,Good can also potentially sub at G).  

Now, our remaining question on the OL is 'Who is going to step up at RT?'  I imagine this will be a battle between Haeg, Good, Clark and Mewhort.  

If I had to guess right now, I think Haeg is going to be the one to step up and win the position.  I am not sure though, Haeg, Good and Clark have all shown flashes but have also shown inconsistencies.  I think Haeg's biggest knock was he needed to get used to NFL strength and bulk up a little.  

This should be interesting, at least we have 4 abled bodies at the RT side.... and who knows, maybe we'll be able to keep Luck upright and get some sort of running game going with the interior line Ballard just brought us during this draft!

Haven't been excited about our OL really since the Tarik Glenn days.... this, to me, was a fantastic draft and gives optimism that what has been a long term weakness may actually turn into a strength of this young team!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, jet1968 said:

Maybe the colts just plan on running up the middle or to the left every time.

Hah, maybe.. I don't know... When Clark came out of college a lot said it'd take 3 years from him to be a pro-bowl kind of guy.... I think he's got the highest ceiling of those who will battle for RT, but I think Haeg has shown to be most consisent.

Regardless, Ballard addressed a major need in this draft and we at least have a solid position fight on that right side.

All four were drafted for a power man scheme with Pagano; but Haeg, Mewhort, and maybe Clark should actually be better in our new zone scheme.  I think Good will be relegated back to guard, and one of the others should emerge as a decent RT.  Castonzo is a better fit for the new scheme, too; and Kelly is scheme-versatile.

All in all, i see a depth chart of:

LT - Castonzo, Haeg

LG - Nelson, Vujnovich

C - Kelly, Bond

RG - Slauson, Smith

RT - Mewhort, Clark

Haeg & Clark we’re both drafted with the mindset of 2-3 yrs before hitting ceiling so maybe this yr is it?  Both seemed serviceable as is so any improvement makes them starter material.  Good was simply a RG/CP dancing bear project that in my mind has 1 training camp to prove himself w/ new regime or part ways.  Those claiming Jack Mehort for any length of 2018 simply are going off pure faith & it will take his faith just to finish the season on the 53.  I’m pulling for him but a miracle on 56th ST is needed.  Don’t see all the doom/gloom at RT like most are reporting, what I saw was LG/RG get completely overpowered consistently.  Think we’re fine.

• Like 2

A full training camp of Good, Clark and Haeg battling it out will only make the line better.

Besides, the plus side is all three of them have shown they can play guard as well so there will likely be a good olineman or two cut this year - not counting that turnstile Vujnovich....

Heck, Slauson could get cut.....though I'd like him to stay if for nothing else to mentor the two rookies.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, That Guy said:

All four were drafted for a power man scheme with Pagano; but Haeg, Mewhort, and maybe Clark should actually be better in our new zone scheme.  I think Good will be relegated back to guard, and one of the others should emerge as a decent RT.  Castonzo is a better fit for the new scheme, too; and Kelly is scheme-versatile.

All in all, i see a depth chart of:

LT - Castonzo, Haeg

LG - Nelson, Vujnovich

C - Kelly, Bond

RG - Slauson, Smith

RT - Mewhort, Clark

It will be interesting to see what happens with Bond. Slauson can also play Center. With Smith as depth, we can slide Slauson to Center, hopefully without missing a beat. We actually have some utility depth. I just can't see them carrying more than 9 O-lineman. 

Nelson and Smith will b our day 1 starters at the guard positions.  They were drafted high in the 1st and 2nd rounds.  If they fail to win the starting jobs at either guard position, it will b seen as  a big  disappointment by the staff.  Signings in the off season were for depth and/or if the Colts could not address their offensive line  in the draft.  The only question is who will play at RT.

2 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Personally, I was shocked to see us go guard again with our #3 pick, but the more I think about it... the more I like this draft.

In Nelson, I think we have a 10-12 year all-pro at one guard spot.  I think Smith can also be a pro-bowl caliber guy.  If Kelly can stay healthy, we have 3 pro-bowlers on the inside of our OL (and all are young!).

Right now, our OL went from being our weak link to perhaps being one of our top 3 strong points.  We are set for at least a few more years with an above-average and solid player in Castonzo at LT.  If healthy, we have a stalwart at C in Kelly.  I think we have 2 extremely talented Gs around him in Smith and Nelson.  I like our interior depth with Mewhort, Slauson, Bond, Vujnovich and others (Haeg,Good can also potentially sub at G).  

Now, our remaining question on the OL is 'Who is going to step up at RT?'  I imagine this will be a battle between Haeg, Good, Clark and Mewhort.  

If I had to guess right now, I think Haeg is going to be the one to step up and win the position.  I am not sure though, Haeg, Good and Clark have all shown flashes but have also shown inconsistencies.  I think Haeg's biggest knock was he needed to get used to NFL strength and bulk up a little.  

This should be interesting, at least we have 4 abled bodies at the RT side.... and who knows, maybe we'll be able to keep Luck upright and get some sort of running game going with the interior line Ballard just brought us during this draft!

Haven't been excited about our OL really since the Tarik Glenn days.... this, to me, was a fantastic draft and gives optimism that what has been a long term weakness may actually turn into a strength of this young team!

I'm with you I love this draft and our offense for sure is a lot better then it was going into the draft. 

30 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

We have 50 million in cap space. Maybe another OT will be signed as the season approaches? 

Maybe

42 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Nelson and Smith will b our day 1 starters at the guard positions.  They were drafted high in the 1st and 2nd rounds.  If they fail to win the starting jobs at either guard position, it will b seen as  a big  disappointment by the staff.  Signings in the off season were for depth and/or if the Colts could not address their offensive line  in the draft.  The only question is who will play at RT.

High picks don’t always win the starting jobs.  Dorsett, Green, Clark, etc.

I also doubt Turray or Lewis (also round 2 players) will be starting at any point this season.  Smith, Turray, and Lewis were all drafted to give both sides of our team some quality rotations up front.

Sorry,  hit enter on my  last  comments before I was done typing.  I meant to say I don't expect either rookie to under perform in camp.  They r pretty finished products coming out of college.  They want to set the tone with this young group.  I see a starting line of Castanozo.....Smith......Kelly.....Nelson.....?????.  I agree that  Turay needs some coaching up and Lewis will c some time in the  defensive line  rotation.

I think the competition will be with B. Smith or Mewhort, and don't forget for Slauson.  Smith was drafted early int the 2nd round for a reason and on his highlights, he has also played RT.  Mewhort played better at guard than RT but can develop.  Slauson, I think is a vet who can do a decent job at guard or tackle.  

Good is strictly guard material IMO and can be solid with size and athleticism.

Clarke has the size and physical capabilities but he seems clueless to pick up stunts and                blitzes, put Luck at risk to be hit untouched.  His mental games needs to pick-up.  I remember the guy stunting running right around him and he didn't block him.  Even my wife said look at that guy.  I remember, a Pop Warner coach telling the kids, if you don't know who to block, block the first guy you see, that is all he would have had to have done on that play 

I read in another post, one perspective, instead a Vujnovich starting, we have B. Smith, that brings a smile to my face.  

4 hours ago, That Guy said:

High picks don’t always win the starting jobs.  Dorsett, Green, Clark, etc.

I also doubt Turray or Lewis (also round 2 players) will be starting at any point this season.  Smith, Turray, and Lewis were all drafted to give both sides of our team some quality rotations up front.

Ya the only day one starters I see are Nelson and Leonard which is disappointing since we had 4 2nd rounders and tons of holes needing to be filled.

Don't count out Denzelle Good at right tackle. He won the job in camp last year and played well in week 1 before injury. 

We were signing people off the street and starting them with all the injuries we had last year, so having a good group of offensive linemen as depth is not a bad thing at all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Narcosys said:

If there is one person I don't trust to be healthy, it's Mewhort. His knee is toast it seems, continually being hurt. I would count him out.

I would agree, but you dont have to count on him

Mewhort is very cheap and can come off the bench and play ok, if needed. 

He is an insurance policy, a perfect role for a bad knee kinda guy who does play well when not injured..... which is often

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Ya the only day one starters I see are Nelson and Leonard which is disappointing since we had 4 2nd rounders and tons of holes needing to be filled.

I do think that we will see the first 3 start, day one.

I also dont think that Mack is an everydown back....... A rookie may take one of those spots.

Lastly, you may see one of the late round LBs get play at one of the last 2 LB spots..... we have very little talent at LB

Its going to be a tough year....... but thats ok....... we were never going to the SB this year...... we had to rebuild 

the team... takes a while

Good won the job last year and played well until his injury.  I see no reason why he shouldn't win it again.  That said I actually like him better at RG and I could see Smith at RT.  That's not a popular belief I know but Polian said they did drafted Smith for RT FWIW.  His tape did show him playing well at RT so he seems versatile.  If Smith is our new G then I think someone has to beat out Good for the RT position and i don't see anyone on our roster who can do it.  Haag and Clark haven't shown they can so far.  We shall see. 

4 hours ago, Chucklez said:

A little off topic, but wouldn't Gore have been interesting behind that interior line, his patience and ability to find holes would've been sick.

Actually it IS on topic

If you watch the tape on Wilkins from Ole Miss, the guy is a very patient runner.

As this entire line pushes forward, he can see where the opening is coming. 

He is a little light, but runs well

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I also dont think that Mack is an everydown back....... A rookie may take one of those spots.

Lastly, you may see one of the late round LBs get play at one of the last 2 LB spots..... we have very little talent at LB

Its going to be a tough year....... but thats ok....... we were never going to the SB this year...... we had to rebuild 

It's going to be a great year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Smith will likely be a day 1 starter, IMO.  I also think Turay and Lewis will be part of a rotation on the DL... Turay, I think may get into a starter role, the guy has freakish talent if he can learn the game at the pro-level and keep healthy.

While I don't expect them to start, I expect at least 1 of our 2 RBs to contribute significantly and among Zaire Franklin, Matthew Adams and Skai Moore I expect at least 1 of them to make significant contributions in certain packages (I would actually bet Zaire has a very good shot at winning the starting MIKE spot).  Also, unless we sign Dez or someone at WR, I expect at least 1 of the 2 WRs to see significant time on the field.

We have to wait and see, but I think we had a solid draft.

9 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Reich likes to exploit match-ups on offense.  Nyheim Hines at 5'8" is the fastest RB from this years draft class, and he can catch out of the backfield... I imagine Reich will try to utilize him like Darren Sproles.  Wilkins is also an interesting prospect -- over 10% of his runs last year went for >15 yards and he averaged over 7 ypc against SEC competition.

In terms of LB, you are right in that we lack talent there.  It seems like Sheard is definitely going to move to DE and verdict is out on Simon.  Zaire Franklin I think has a very legit shot at winning the MIKE spot, he was 3 year captain at 'Cuse and although he's a little short he's very strong (30+ 225 lbs reps on bench) and fast (4.58 forty).

If Luck is fully healthy, we have a very legitimate shot at the AFC South title.  I think Watson is going to have a hard time getting back to full force (that is his second major injury to the same knee).  Jax has a stout D, but I don't think Bortles is a franchise QB.  The AFC South is much better now than it was in Luck's rookie year, but with Luck back on the field there is a good chance this is not a 'rebuilding' year -- there is no reason why we cannot be competitive to win the AFC South again.... that doesn't mean we will beat the Pats or some other powerhouses in the playoffs, but it's a clean slate if we make it there.

• Like 1

Here's a thought.  Maybe we should trade for Miami's Starting RT Juwan James. He is now on his 5th. yr. option. We have the cap space and they were trying to move him due to cap constraints.  Maybe they would take a Simon or another player.  That would give us 4 former no.1 picks on the OL. and a No. 2 in Smith.  

A lot of people seem to forget what a rock Mewhort was when healthy. If he is healthy, and that's a big if, he should be starting. I would love him as one of the guards (which ever one Nelson isn't) and Smith as RT. That would be our best O-line in years but again that idea all revolves around Mewhort being healthy. 

• Thanks 1