Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The big Nelson gamble

azcolt

Nelson may well be an all-pro olineman for the next decade, but unless Luck returns to elite status for the next decade Ballard will never live down his decision to pass on a qb in the first round. I can’t see this working out well for the Colts. How many hits will Luck be able to take?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Nelson may well be an all-pro olineman for the next decade, but unless Luck returns to elite status for the next decade Ballard will never live down his decision to pass on a qb in the first round. I can’t see this working out well for the Colts. How many hits will Luck be able to take?

If Luck doesn't come back as elite we'll probably have a pretty good shot at drafting the best quarterback in the draft next year anyway!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, azcolt said:

No GM would have drafted a QB in this situation.   Nonsense

Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

So you know for sure that Luck will return this season 100% healthy & effective and remain healthy & effective?

Well the OP doesn't and I'm sure some others don't either.

I'm sure the folks on 56th street do

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

So you know for sure that Luck will return this season 100% healthy & effective and remain healthy & effective?

I'm not the one who needs to know.  I am hopeful that he will, based on the obvious weightlifting he has been doing.  Luck looks much better than he did last year at this time.  However, that has little to do with what I was posting.

Nelson was one of the top 3 PLAYERS in this draft according to many. If you have a little bit of hope that Luck comes back you don’t draft a QB that is undeserving. Allen, Rosen, and Jackson were the 1st round quarterbacks taken after Nelson and all have huge flaws. Bad franchises draft like you are suggesting not ones that know what they are doing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

How many hits can Luck take? 

Well he'll take a whole lot less with Nelson on that line. Will also improve our run game. 

I am am a firm believer in building your team in the trenches. You control the lines it makes your skill players better

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

They were never gonna take a QB with the 1st pick. It’d be a PR disaster and everybody would assume the worst about Luck. Even if they are concerned, they’re at least gonna wait and see how he looks when he comes back this year before doing anything like that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

Nelson was one of the top 3 PLAYERS in this draft according to many. If you have a little bit of hope that Luck comes back you don’t draft a QB that is undeserving. Allen, Rosen, and Jackson were the 1st round quarterbacks taken after Nelson and all have huge flaws. Bad franchises draft like you are suggesting not ones that know what they are doing. 

Look at the franchises that have drafted a G in the top 10. It goes both ways.

But there was no way they were drafting a QB.

Even if luck doesn’t return to elite status, if the colts hadn’t fixed the offensive line they would be right back to the same problem. Which is the quarterback getting hit every time he touches the ball. Or running backs getting hit before they get to the line of scrimmage. We finally have a gm that has a clue where the games are won. Fix the trenches then you have at least a chance to win no matter who is taking the snaps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

Nelson was the least gamble they could have taken.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

Don't feed the troll. This thread should be shut down and locked.

If I may, I don’t think the OP is trolling given their history, to write off an opinion as trolling just because you don’t agree with it, it’s lazy. 

Now you could debunk by examining the logic of the situation and showing there’s no scenario where taking a QB makes sense:

1) Luck comes back, plays at a decent level, maybe some rust. A better O line helps a lot with this. Sure he might get injured further down the line but that’s the risk with ANY player. 

2) Luck doesn’t come back, JB starts and proves he’s a viable starter, again O line helps.

3) Same as 2 but JB sucks, likely we would be picking high again in 2019 and a lot can happen in the college landscape or even in FA between then and now. 

The only scenario it doesn’t make sense is if they think Luck is done and I doubt they’d have traded out of 3 then. 

I do think the Nelson pick was a low risk gamble in terms of player but a low pay off too in some respects. I was for trading down and taking Edmunds, using the 2s to trade back into the 1st. If he (or Smith even) proves to be a star then it will be hard not to ask what if.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm happy with Brissett.

And Brissett is HAPPY with Nelson!

Seems about 50/50 whether or not Luck starts week 1, but if it is Brissett, I bet he has a better game than any he had last year...

That might not be saying much, but I'm willing to put :cash: on the Colts doing better than 4-12, even if Brissett starts all 16 games.

tumblr_o9lpv7EqCG1udh5n8o1_500.gif

• Like 2