Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Earl Grey

BlueShoe

4 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I like his assertiveness but does this cross the line of good sportsmanship?

I mean, would we want Gronkowski to do this to one of our guys? Would we want our kids doing it? I don’t think Dungy would approve.

I may be a minority here but I think it’s crossing the line. Drive the guy to the turf and you’ve done your job.

As long as it's not against the rules and doesn't cost us penalty yardage, I'm good with it. 

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

I mean, would we want Gronkowski to do this to one of our guys? Would we want our kids doing it? I don’t think Dungy would approve.

I may be a minority here but I think it’s crossing the line. Drive the guy to the turf and you’ve done your job.

Thank you. I feel the same way.

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I swear this fan base :facepalm:. If it’s legal who cares. We have wanted a nasty dominant player on the offensive line for as long as I can remember.

Colts finally get one and he’s too nasty/mean/not classy? People wonder why we get the finess label. I hope people hate playing against us because of our O-line. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Gronkowski did do that to one of our players.  Drove a db out of the endzone and threw to the ground.

but I hear what you’re saying and I want aggression but not humialitng opponents just for the sake of humiliation or beyond necessity 

• Like 1

Dungy is NOT the coach.  The NFL is a violent business dude. This team needs NASTY. 

BALLARD AND FR agree

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know those defensive guys aren't out there playing patty cake. And you know some of those guys will throw an O-lineman on the ground and step on his facemask on the way to body slam a QB. There's also a lot big mouths who talk a lot of s**t. I think his power slams are doled out accordingly!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I want a guard who walks the line. How demoralizing would that be, to be an NFL player and get Earl Grey'ed, and how much of a Mind Game will that create? Theres a couple positions that I want players like this: Guards, DTs, and MLB. These guys can walk the edge like no other position can, and they should.

And, not once did that I can find an example with Nelson that this results in a bad play or a flag

• Like 2

Here's a scary thought:  what if this guy hasn't peaked yet?  Judging from his tape, no defender in college could whip him.  He will no doubt meet his match at the next level, but what if he gets better?  WOW.

And it's not like he's just this big lug who can't move.  Guy has some athleticism.  He can move and pull.  My oh my he is gonna be fun to watch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I see some merit in what you say here.

On one side I want a bit of a hard-nosed offensive line - same for our d-line.  On the other hand I don't want to be the "classless Colts" who skirt the line of unsportsmanlike conduct on a lot of plays during the game.  Not only does that cost us yards, but it also tarnishes what I like about this organization.s

Time will tell, but hopefully he can be a bit of a mauler without crossing the line.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Here's a scary thought:  what if this guy hasn't peaked yet?  Judging from his tape, no defender in college could whip him.  He will no doubt meet his match at the next level, but what if he gets better?  WOW.

And it's not like he's just this big lug who can't move.  Guy has some athleticism.  He can move and pull.  My oh my he is gonna be fun to watch.

My thought is that in a few years his reputation could precede him and he may be feared somewhat by defenses for being the NFL version of "posterized" on game replays, lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I’ll add that I hope he urinates on himself during or just prior to the * event. Get really nasty!! Get in their heads too. 

Ummm....  LOL

I hope I never run into you in a dark alley...

Just saying. :D 

16 hours ago, Jdubu said:

That is a violent toss to the ground and I love it!! I don’t know who that player was he tossed but it wasn’t like it was from a small school with undersized players, it was LSU. Pretty impressive. 

With Nelson, Kelly and Smith (or Mewhort), our running game should open up and the passing game will certainly benefit from it. Hopefully, we finally have guards that can pull. Does a center ever pull in a scheme and what’s Kelly’s ability to do that if asked? It’s going to be a relief to know that we only have the RT spot to be concerned with as opposed to LG, RG and RT spots needing a player. Should be a fun offense to watch this season. 

Don’t have a link, but I read that Nelson is known for being a pretty dominant pulling guard. I’ll try to find it. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2018 at 4:01 PM, coltsfeva said:

Feeling good about Nelson/Kelly/Smith (or Mewhort) in the middle of the Oline. Million dollar question is who is our RT ?

The good news is that by drafting Nelson and Smith the question you ask may translate to who ARE our RT's? And not only the RT, but the entire OL. We have starting or better caliber backups for every position. It's crazy to say that after this many years of stuggles, but that's how it looks now.

Seriously. Nelson's athleticism, technic and overall talent is so off the charts, that by most experts, if he wanted to go to the draft as tackle, he'd still be the #1 on the board. So in him, we have an instant pro-bowl caliber left guard, but also a quality backup LT, who, if needed, can jump in and the Colts oline won't blink an eye. And the same can be said for all positions. We have four guards - Smith, Slauson, Haeg and Mewhort - who can be fine starters at RG (or if Nelson has to go out to LT, be our 2 guards). Slauson also a decent backup at center behind Kelly, as well as Bond. And at RT, there is Good, who, in my opinion has grown to be a solid starter if he has a decent RG next to him. Haeg and Mewhort can also play RT. Mewhort was a tackle in high school, so it won't be new for him.

The Colts oline is stacked. I don't remember such s deep and quality roster at this position .... probably ever. Manning had a decent line for years, but he had a lot to do with that line being so productive. This line can be legit by its own right.

We all remember the 2014 Dallas oline. When Demarco Murray ran almost 2000 yards in a season. That line was soo dominant that they practically run against any defense at will. Whenever they just wanted. (Even next year, McFadden ran 1000 yards in like 13 games.) There's a chance we will see a similar line here in Indy in the upcoming few years. The Colts might be able to run against even the more decent defensive fronts at will.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

I swear this fan base :facepalm:. If it’s legal who cares. We have wanted a nasty dominant player on the offensive line for as long as I can remember.

Colts finally get one and he’s too nasty/mean/not classy? People wonder why we get the finess label. I hope people hate playing against us because of our O-line. 

I don’t have a problem with him playing with an attitude and I’m sure he will dominate. 

I’ve always admired players for their talent and he is absolutely talented.

What is more admirable than talent is them being a decent human being at the same time. 

Good sportsmanship is a real thing. You can be great and have class. If you push the boundaries, you may find yourself on the wrong end of a chop block with a season-ending injury.

I would not be surprised if the refs flag him for taunting. If that’s the case, he can correct things. He just has to grow up in that area.

10 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I don’t have a problem with him playing with an attitude and I’m sure he will dominate. 

What is more admirable than talent is them being a decent human being at the same time. 

Good sportsmanship is a real thing. You can be great and have class. If you push the boundaries, you may find yourself on the wrong end of a chop block with a season-ending injury.

I would not be surprised if the refs flag him for taunting. If that’s the case, he can correct things. He just has to grow up in that area.

I think you are over reacting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I think it’s a fair point to an extent, how much will people still think it’s fine after the first flag nullifying a 1st down? 

We are all in agreement if it gets flagged he should stop. But if it doesn’t and he’s just a mean nasty guy he needs to continue to play that way. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Fair enough. So, how would you define good sportsmanship ?

So a player who can dominate not only physically but mentally is accused of bad sportsmanship? 

No where has it been said or reported that Nelson isn't anything more than a great player. The rules in college are the same as the NFL as far as personal fouls so where you get the idea that Nelson is not a good sport is beyond me.

I watched the tape and it was a stretch to call what he done *. It was just something that was described when in reality that was not his intent IMO. Don't confuse his greatness for bad sportsmanship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

I think it’s a fair point to an extent, how much will people still think it’s fine after the first flag nullifying a 1st down? 

It's still an over reaction. Till that first flag is thrown he is nothing more than a great player who can dominate not only physically but mentally as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's still an over reaction. Till that first flag is thrown he is nothing more than a great player who can dominate not only physically but mentally as well.

That’s your opinion. It’s the sort of thing that can quite easily get a flag chucked and a lot of people on here applauding this will be the first to moan when the laundry is thrown.

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

That’s your opinion. It’s the sort of thing that can quite easily get a flag chucked and a lot of people on here applauding this will be the first to moan when the laundry is thrown.

Not anymore than any other player who draws a flag.

There has not been one report of Nelson having bad sportsmanship anywhere in his history. Only in this forum does something like that be brought up. :loco:

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Yeah, this could be like the Marshawn Lynch crotch-grab while diving into the endzone.  If the owners don't like it (and I can see a few AFC South owners getting upset about it in the near future) then they will call it unsportsmanlike conduct and make sure the refs put a stop to it.

But if a few Tbags in college is the most classless thing Nelson can be accused of, on or off the field, I think he makes a great Horseshoe Guy.

:thmup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Im sure Nelson is a great/fine guy off the field and when he's not working out.

I want him being the nastiest SOB out there on the field, when engaged with "the enemy."

One of my best buddies growing up, we'd go to Church together, volunteer for stuff around Fellowship of Christian Athletes and their events, etc. He even became a Pastor. Get him wrestling, and it was WW3. Instantly changed to a focused, dominating brute. Wanted nothing more than humiliate you and make you quit. In turn, I pushed myself to not be humiliated, turn it on him and make him quit. We fought more than once during practices

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheMarine said:

Im sure Nelson is a great/fine guy off the field and when he's not working out.

I want him being the nastiest SOB out there on the field, when engaged with "the enemy."

One of my best buddies growing up, we'd go to Church together, volunteer for stuff around Fellowship of Christian Athletes and their events, etc. He even became a Pastor. Get him wrestling, and it was WW3. Instantly changed to a focused, dominating brute. Wanted nothing more than humiliate you and make you quit. In turn, I pushed myself to not be humiliated, turn it on him and make him quit. We fought more than once during practices

Dick Butkus was crazy wild and mean on the field but a big teddy bear off the field.

Nelson is into Marshall arts so I would think he has pretty good self control.

I still don't get how he turned into someone who don't have good sportsmanship in this forum? It's puzzling to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2018 at 2:26 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Probably but even the Ref might step back and say "damn" to himself. :D

Personal foul, unnecessary roughness, Giving the defender the business, Indianapolis 

comes to mind. I'd support that infraction once especailly if it was on Suh for example. 

I was always taught; “when you beat a guy, don’t rub it in his face”.

I think this “literally” covers that.

Don’t get me wrong, I am looking forward to him manhandling opponents. There’s just something that seems wrong about doing this on purpose. 

• Like 3

Coltsfeva and myself both posted that we didn't appreciate the way this was being described. Suddenly, that might mean that neither of us wants a hard butt player. False. The fact is, you can dominate, intimidate, and break someone's will....which is in fact quite cool in my books...without resorting to rubbing your crotch in someone's face. I don't need it to cause a flag or penalty to say it's not necessary. Nor is it needed in my world. 

Doesn't mean that I don't like Nelson, and I'm not excited about the pick. 

• Like 2

These guys are PAID professionals.  This isn't Pop Warner or even high school ball.  There shouldn't be any letting up.  You beat the guy across from you and you break his will if you can.  Simple fact is if you don't want the guy to * you then find a way to beat him.  End of story.

Would I condone this in high school?  Of course not.  But in the NFL?  Absolutely.

• Thanks 1

I don’t care if he drags his junk across someone’s face mask as long as he is keeping Andrew clean in the pocket or opening up run lanes.

If some people see that as unsportsmanlike that’s ok with me. Classless Colts? Doesn’t bother me because it’s football and words don’t hurt. 

I’ve been a Colts fan a long time and finesse team is what I’m used to being called. To me that is the worst thing this team can be called. Go Colts!!! :rock:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

I don’t care if he drags his junk across someone’s face mask as long as he is keeping Andrew clean in the pocket or opening up run lanes.

If some people see that as unsportsmanlike that’s ok with me. Classless Colts? Doesn’t bother me because it’s football and words don’t hurt. 

I’ve been a Colts fan a long time and finesse team is what I’m used to being called. To me that is the worst thing this team can be called. Go Colts!!! :rock:

The thing I noticed is those players that Nelson supposedly T bagged didn't want no part of Nelson after the play was over. That's telling me not only was he dominating them physically but mentally as well.

That may not be the case in the pros but I highly doubt Nelson will be doing that as a pro.

Cant you envision the coaches telling him he can't do that? 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing I noticed is those players that Nelson supposedly T bagged didn't want no part of Nelson after the play was over. That's telling me not only was he dominating them physically but mentally as well.

That may not be the case in the pros but I highly doubt Nelson will be doing that as a pro.

Cant you envision the coaches telling him he can't do that? 

In one of his interviews he was talking about finishing and brought up a point that is important - he said one of the most important things about finishing plays through the whistle no matter whether he's involved directly in the play or not(for example you can see him blocking and throwing people around on the left sideline while the play is going towards the right sideline), is that it takes a toll on the opponent purely physically and tires them out and if the whole line does it, it accumulates over the progression of the game and makes the defensive players much easier to handle the longer the game is going. 

I think we as Colts fans can recognize that from being on the receiving end of this treatment in the last several years. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stitches said:

In one of his interviews he was talking about finishing and brought up a point that is important - he said one of the most important things about finishing plays through the whistle no matter whether he's involved directly in the play or not(for example you can see him blocking and throwing people around on the left sideline while the play is going towards the right sideline), is that it takes a toll on the opponent purely physically and tires them out and if the whole line does it, it accumulates over the progression of the game and makes the defensive players much easier to handle the longer the game is going. 

I think we as Colts fans can recognize that from being on the receiving end of this treatment in the last several years. 

Great point. No doubt that mentality rubs off on other players just as it did with him in college. ND had a great offensive line.