Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Leonard & Skai Moore

Scott Pennock

Watch the highlights of these two and outside of wearing the same colors, the same numbers and being the same size/length/speed there isn't that noticeable of a difference.

Leonard is more WILL but Moore drops into middle coverage (and his 14 picks) like no one I've seen lately in a 4-3.....

One drafted.....one not.....but they look eerily similar! Which is good for us!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

Moore looks like a S on the field. 

League is already half way there. Most teams want a SS/LB combo (run stopper on running downs and an underneath player on passing downs). Deonne Bucannon is the stereotype for this, but guys like Deion Jones (Atlanta) are what teams are really after. Or a Telvin Smith (Jags). If Skai Moore is even half the player those two are, we got insane value considering we picked him up as a Udfa.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, #7ForDays said:

League is already half way there. Most teams want a SS/LB combo (run stopper on running downs and an underneath player on passing downs). Deonne Bucannon is the stereotype for this, but guys like Deion Jones (Atlanta) are what teams are really after. Or a Telvin Smith (Jags). If Skai Moore is even half the player those two are, we got insane value considering we picked him up as a Udfa.

He's not the athlete that those guys are but he does have great instincts and feel for zone coverage in the middle of the field. 

I love Skai Moore. I think he's a perfect fit for our system. He has double digit interceptions in his career... and this is at linebacker. Great instincts in coverage and I think he was another one of the linebackers that don't miss many tackles - if he gets there, he takes you down... the question is whether he will be able to 'get there' with desired consistency...

IMO there is a real chance he makes the team. 

• Like 3

All the linebackers we acquired have nice athleticism, speed and toughness. Better in those areas then what we would have gotten out of Jewell who I liked. I thought Jewell was a good overall football player but I didnt necessarily like his play speed. He looked like a peon trying to chase Saquon Barkley. Avg athlete.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

i think he didnt get drafted because of a few things that compounded his draft status. The kneck issues/ medical concerns, playing weight even though he showed up at 226 at the combine, and slow 40 but he plays way faster to me than the 4.7 sub 40 he ran at the combine. as other have stated very good in coverage can have an instant impact there right away in sub packages. If we can get some Telvin Smith out of him he's a steal.

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Its funny you say that

Did he have any highlights against running plays?

This is my concern too, not just for him, but for the new scheme.

Its great having faster, quicker guys who can cover, it’s a passing league.  

But it’s a power running division.  I understand the ‘swarm’concept, but that usually occurs after the ball carrier has gone 8 yards.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Its funny you say that

Did he have any highlights against running plays?

Most of his highlights focus on the ability to drop into hia zone, read, react and make those 14 career interceptions......however his last 3 years were 93, 110 and 93 in total tackles. The few I saw seemed like he was a wrap up tackler.

Like I said at the beginning, there doesn't appear to be a huge difference between the two when watching them play.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Didn't know he had an injury history.

Me either that’s why I’m curious. 

9 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Leonard and Moore were two of the three LBs I wanted in this draft so you can imagine my excitement. They’re going to become a dynamic duo and we’ll call them ‘Lenny Moore’. 

Man I wanted Roquan :( 

but im liking Leonard the more I research him. 

6 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Me either that’s why I’m curious. 

Man I wanted Roquan :( 

but im liking Leonard the more I research him. 

I did too but not that early. I don’t think he’ll ever be an all around LB that can stack and shed blocks. Not that Leonard or Moore will either, but they didn’t go top ten. I’m definitely happy with Nelson, Leonard, and Braden Smith. After that it gets a little wonky with me, but I’m not beefing with Ballard yet. He makes about 50% of moves that I love, 25% that I’m lukewarm, and 25% that I don’t like. That’s a pretty good hit rate with me. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gocolts-Rolltide said:

Will: Darius leonard

Mike: skai Moore 

Sam:  Matthew Adams

This should be whatour starting ilbs look like come Bengals game... 

Skai most certainly could win the job, but, I'd bet that Walker would be the starter at SAM if that were the case....

1 hour ago, Gocolts-Rolltide said:

Walker or franklin imo will be the Mike. Moore maybe on passing situations

19 hours ago, Gocolts-Rolltide said:

I reserve the right to change my mind once I see them in training camp and the preseason.  But if that is the Colts starting LB corps for 2018 the Colts D is in trouble.

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I reserve the right to change my mind once I see them in training camp and the preseason.  But if that is the Colts starting LB corps for 2018 the Colts D is in trouble.

How would it be in trouble our D would actually be good for once cuz we dont need no bum Morrison starting cuz he is terrible anyway i rather have rookies and maybe anthony walker at our starting lbs 

11 minutes ago, Indy1996 said:

How would it be in trouble our D would actually be good for once cuz we dont need no bum Morrison starting cuz he is terrible anyway i rather have rookies and maybe anthony walker at our starting lbs 

I know I shouldn't waste my time answering but I just can't help it. 

I won't even get into that it's usually a bad idea to have three rookies starting at LB add to that, 2 small school LBers and one vastly undersized even for a D where undersized is the norm?

I know the new D is simplified but there is still going to be a very large learning curve for those guys and a huge jump in competition.  Even a simplified D in the NFL is going to be vastly more complex than what they are used to.

30 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I know I shouldn't waste my time answering but I just can't help it. 

I won't even get into that it's usually a bad idea to have three rookies starting at LB add to that, 2 small school LBers and one vastly undersized even for a D where undersized is the norm?

I know the new D is simplified but there is still going to be a very large learning curve for those guys and a huge jump in competition.  Even a simplified D in the NFL is going to be vastly more complex than what they are used to.

Um Anthony walker isn't a rookie other teams did it and had a better defense and schools doesn't matter all that matters is that if they are good Skai moore and darius leonard are 2 good as lbs they both could start tbh

1 minute ago, Indy1996 said:

Um Anthony walker isn't a rookie other teams did it and had a better defense and schools doesn't matter all that matters is that if they are good Skai moore and darius leonard are 2 good as lbs they both could start tbh

Do you have a reading comprehension problem?  The poster said Leonard, Skai and Adams should be the starters... those are three rookies.

As for the rest, schools do matter that is why small school guys are drafted lower than their production and measurables suggest they should and it matter because there is a bigger jump in competition and that takes time to learn.  We hear from rookies all the time about how the speed of the game is so much faster in the NFL and that is even more so from small school guys.

Lastly, what team started 3 rookies last year?

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:46 PM, cbear said:

On tape, they look like the same player.   Skai has legit coverage skills.  His interceptions are impressive.  Bring him in on passing downs, bring Geathers up into the box and you've got possibilities. 

Hope that kid makes the team maybe they will finally see what a mistake Morrison was.

Did some digging and his surgery was for a herniated disk. 

He missed the 2016 season and had he not gotten injured would have came out early and surely would have been drafted in the 2nd thru 4th easily.

As it stands, he came back and was just as productive in 2017.

He ran in the 4.60 - 4.70 range which is just a tick slower than the rest of our draftees, however, his zone coverage, diagnosis skills and instincts lead him to reading and reacting quicker which makes him look faster on the field!

I find it interesting how Skai Moore is like 6'2"and 218 and not one person has said hes too small. But whenever we talked about Geathers being moved to linebacker and playing at 220 the response was always "Hes too small!" And then what's even more interesting is they've both had neck injuries. When Claytons is mentioned Oh his careers over! Sky Moore no issue made. People are funny.

• Like 1