Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

pick by pick analysis for this year's haul

6: quenton nelson, g, nd

analysis: top 3 player in this class easy, generational talent, looks like future perennial all-pro.  Protect 12 and open up holes in the running game

grade: A

36: darius leonard, lb, scsu

analysis: looks like a poor mans roquan smith.  helps fix up the lb corp and can actually cover which our current lbs lack.

grade: B

37: braden smith, g, auburn

analysis: very strong and pretty athletic.  all-around solid pick, building the wall in front of luck.

grade: B+

52: kemoko turay, edge, rutgers

analysis: athletic edge who has plenty of upside.  best bend with landry and has some explosiveness and twitch.

grade: B+

64: tyquan lewis, edge, osu

analysis: versatile, high motor rusher who wins with power but is also pretty fast.  

grade: B-

104: nyheim hines, rb, ncsu

analysis: building the three headed monster we saw in philly.  very fast with potential to be our darren sproles.  upside as a receiver out of the backfield and as a returner.

grade: C+

159: daurice fountain, wr, northern iowa

analysis: very good character and leader.  good size and speed, wr depth.

grade: A-

169: jordan wilkins, rb, ole miss

analysis: massive looking rb with good vision and agility.  him and hines could form a good backfield with mack. 

grade: B-

185: deon cain, wr, clemson

analysis: deep threat who has massive upside as yac guy.  good value, 2nd-3rd round grade.

grade: A

221: matthew adams, lb, houston

analysis: big, strong thumper.  lb depth.

grade: C

235: zaire franklin, lb, syracuse

analysis: freak athlete.  bench: 30 reps, 38' vert, 4.5 40, 4.16 shuttle, and 6.85 3 cone.  lb depth with upside.

grade: B

summary: i know there aren't much big names, but i actually like this draft.  we beefed up our fronts and added some new weapons for luck.  ballard did exactly what he said, he improved our lines and added lbs.  all these guys have great character and hopefully this is the draft that changes our fortunes for the next decade.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I watched Turay's tape against Ohio State, and it was not very impressive. He has a lot to acquire IMO. 

Yep I agree pretty raw or at least not always motivated. When IU football waxes your team 40-0 it’s hard for me to make a case for anyone to make an impact in the NFL. I’m staying open minded but it does have me worried.

59 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep I agree pretty raw or at least not always motivated. When IU football waxes your team 40-0 it’s hard for me to make a case for anyone to make an impact in the NFL. I’m staying open minded but it does have me worried.

Yes. I still think he may be the guy to beat the odds, but he does have a long way to go to be disruptive....play after play. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 10:59 AM, Four2itus said:

I watched Turay's tape against Ohio State, and it was not very impressive. He has a lot to acquire IMO. 

Seems to be the general feeling of most of the talking heads too...Has upside, but very raw.  It is disappointing to me as there were significantly better options still available.  Hope for once a pick hits their upside..

2 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

Seems to be the general feeling of most of the talking heads too...Has upside, but very raw.  It is disappointing to me as there were significantly better options still available.  Hope for once a pick hits their upside..

Like who? If there were significantly better options, you would have thought they'd be picked earlier. People need to let go of their draft crushes. Turay isn't that big of a project player. He needs work, yes, but I can see why Ballard picked him. He has tons of potential and upside.

Why does Hines only get a C+? He can play, KR, RB, slot WR and gunner. He's a swiss army knife who will play the Darren Sproles role in our offense. This kid may be the biggest offensive playmaker we got in this draft.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dr. T said:

Why does Hines only get a C+? He can play, KR, RB, slot WR and gunner. He's a swiss army knife who will play the Darren Sproles role in our offense. This kid may be the biggest offensive playmaker we got in this draft.

^  This. ^

Hines is the second most player I'm excited about (besides Nelson)