Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Draft ZAIRE FRANKLIN LB Syracuse

CR91

Syracuse football LB Zaire Franklin's Pro Day numbers rival NFL Combine's best

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2018/03/zaire_franklin_linebacker_syracuse_football_pro_day.html

syracuse.com

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Zaire Franklin churned out more bench press repetitions (30) at Syracuse football's Pro Day than any linebacker at the NFL Scouting Combine.

His 40-yard dash time (4.58 seconds) would've slotted him fifth and his vertical jump (38 inches) would've tied for sixth.

• Like 1

Here is his career stats - 48 career games (36 starting)

311 tackles

31.5 TFL

8.5 sacks

8 PBU

0 INTs.

Like Matt Adams from Houston his proday numbers would have put him in the upper echelon of combine LBers

Bench 30

40 - 4.62

20 yard split 2.65

10 yard split 1.55

Vertical jump 38"

Broad jump 10'02"

20 yard shuttle - 4.22

3 cone - 6.97

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

311 tackles

31.5 TFL

8.5 sacks

8 PBU

0 INTs.

Like Matt Adams from Houston his proday numbers would have put him in the upper echelon of combine LBers

Bench 30

40 - 4.62

20 yard split 2.65

10 yard split 1.55

Vertical jump 38"

Broad jump 10'02"

20 yard shuttle - 4.22

3 cone - 6.97

Thanks for all this great info!    :thmup:

Just now, NorthernBlue said:

Do not a single corner drafted. Interesting. Ballard must be real confident in Quincy.

Even so. I’d have liked to add more depth there.

We have some guys at corner like Quincy, Hairston, Desir. We needed those bodies for competition and man am I ready to see them get after it. 

7 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Do not a single corner drafted. Interesting. Ballard must be real confident in Quincy.

Even so. I’d have liked to add more depth there.

Yeah, that's the biggest take away - Ballard didn't draft for need or he doesn't consider CB a need. 

10 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

311 tackles

31.5 TFL

8.5 sacks

8 PBU

0 INTs.

Bench 30

40 - 4.62

20 yard split 2.65

10 yard split 1.55

Vertical jump 38"

Broad jump 10'02"

20 yard shuttle - 4.22

3 cone - 6.97

Thanks for the info 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, that's the biggest take away - Ballard didn't draft for need or he doesn't consider CB a need. 

He also may be quite aware of roster cutdowns that might be a little CB rich. NFL experience at the corner position is superior over rooks. Also, maybe next years draft will be better at CB. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, polk_high_allstar said:

Reading further, it says he was actually recorded at 4.58 in his 40. It's hand timed, so who knows. But point being is that he's fast. But he and the other linebacker were picked in the 7th round. Hairston surprised as a 5th round starter who played good football, but I wouldn't put too much stock into them yet. I'll be looking forward to see if one of them emerges, but for now they're battling for a roster spot and will have to be key contributors on ST's. The athletic profile and production is good so they have the requisite skills to turn into draft steals. Let's see if Ballard can catch lightning in a bottle.

54 minutes ago, CR91 said:

funny how we doubled down on every position we drafted 

Thought the the same thing. I'll mention this in a final draft thoughts topic, but what Ballard is doing is important. He's creating depth and competition at the same time. Something we've lacked. It's also worth knowing that he mentioned when looking for coaches that he wanted a staff full of teachers. This could be why he drafted guys who have the basics: high football character, unique traits (a phrase he uses a lot), and top tier athletic profiles. Guys that good coaches can develop into good players. Eberflus is a good example. He turned Anthony Hitchens who some thought would go in the 6th or 7th into a solid starting LB. And Hitchens biggest issue is his lack of athleticism. You take the same type of player and add in athleticism and suddenly you've got a diamond in the rough.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Anybody else see Nelson get facemask to facemask with him after a play?  (In video)

I saw McGlinchey lock horns with him from when ND played the Orange back in '16.

Haven't seen Nelson jaw with him on tape yet.

27 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I saw McGlinchey lock horns with him from when ND played the Orange back in '16.

Haven't seen Nelson jaw with him on tape yet.

Watch the video at top of thread.  Must have been '16 cuz Kizer is there.  Our boy burys the RB, McGlinchy is walking away and Nelson goes mask to nask.  #68, right?

3 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

We have some guys at corner like Quincy, Hairston, Desir. We needed those bodies for competition and man am I ready to see them get after it. 

Does this mean the TJ Green experiment at corner will see a year two?

8 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Did we cut Morrison yet? Maybe we can trade him for a 7th round pick in 2073.

I was just sitting up here wondering if we cut Morrison and I came across your post. Please lord I'm waiting for that day.

10 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Watch the video at top of thread.  Must have been '16 cuz Kizer is there.  Our boy burys the RB, McGlinchy is walking away and Nelson goes mask to nask.  #68, right?

McGlinchey is 68.  He’s the LT taken in the first round by San Fran.  That’s who did the horn locking I mentioned.

Nelson is 56.