Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Northern Iowa WR Daurice Fountain [Merge]

CR91

1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Not going to pretend that I know anything about this kid. Why not Cain or St. Brown

Every pick you ask that question. How about accepting that not all the players YOU know are going to be picked?

• Like 1

Best WR available on ESPN's board. Just watched 3 minutes of highlights and the kid reminds of DeAndre Hopkins. Can catch corner and sideline routes on his back shoulder with a defender on his back/in his face. 6'1" 210 when Hopkins is 6'1 214... 

Good pickup in a position group that needs some athletes. Good size compared to some of our guys (TY, Ryan Grant and Chester Rogers- all under 200 and smaller than Fountain) 

Another great athlete especially for his size - 6'1, 210. 4.46 40, 42 inches vertical, 134 inches broad jump. Very good ball skills, great separation at the top of the route, but doesn't run a ton of routes right now. Will have to develop but a ton of promise. 

• Like 1

Glad they grabbed a WR at least....even though I am not really sure about this guy. But we will see what he can do.

Personally, I would have much preferred St. Brown though. And it seems like NFL.com had several WRs left that were higher rated...for whatever that is worth.

Could just be a coincidence...but it seems like Ballard put a lot of stock into whether a guy did well at the East-West Shrine Game and/or Senior Bowl week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Another great athlete especially for his size - 6'1, 210. 4.46 40, 42 inches vertical, 134 inches broad jump. Very good ball skills, great separation at the top of the route, but doesn't run a ton of routes right now. Will have to develop but a ton of promise. 

Those are silly numbers. Must be very raw with route running and ball skills.

• Like 1

Scouting report by Tony Pauline:

http://draftanalyst.com/daurice-fountain

Daurice Fountain

Wide receiver

SCHOOL: NORTHERN IOWA | CONFERENCE: D-IAA

HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-2 / 211 | 40: 4.57 | DRAFT YR:2018

Rankings

GRADE 

PROJECTED ROUND

4th

Bio: 

Three-year starter who led Northern Iowa in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns in each of those seasons. Earned First Team All-MVC honors and caught 66 passes for 943 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2017 to earn an invitation to the East-West Shrine Game. Made 33 receptions for 413 yards and five TDs as a junior. Posted 41 catches for 604 yards and five scores in 2015. Caught 10 passes for 117 yards and one touchdown as a true freshman.

*: 

Underrated small-school receiver who has built a good amount of momentum for himself the past four months. Plays heads-up football, follows the quarterback across the field and comes back into the clearing to make himself an available target. Sells routes, tracks the pass in the air and nicely times receptions. Looks the pass into his hands and possesses soft and strong hands. Uses his frame to shield away defenders, adjusts to errant throws and snatches the ball away from his frame. Possesses terrific hand-eye coordination.

Neg: 

One-speed receiver and lacks the deep burst. Cannot separate downfield.

Analysis: 

Fountain was graded as a priority free agent entering the season but turned in a solid senior campaign that he backed up with a terrific week of practice at the Shrine Game. Though he didn’t receive a combine invitation, Fountain grades as a solid last-day pick who could line up as a fourth receiver and return punts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Thanks, that's a lot better POV that just the downside.  If we drafted a third-rate receiver from say Florida we'd love it but a first-rate guy from N. Iowa and we hate on it.  When people don't know anything I wish they wouldn't render an uninformed opinion.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Those are silly numbers. Must be very raw with route running and ball skills.

Ball skills are good, but against weak competition which he is obviously knocked for. ESPN had him as best available receiver and NFL had him rated decent as a 5th round pick, mentioning him as a solid 4th receiver (perfect for this team behind TY, Grant and Rogers.)

9 minutes ago, James said:

Every pick you ask that question. How about accepting that not all the players YOU know are going to be picked?

Please show me where every picked I asked that same question? I asked about Cain ONCE before this. I did say I dont like The pick or that it was horrible or anything along those lines. I was Asking about why him over guys who have played against proven top level guys. Simple as that. Don’t over exaggerate to try and make some fake point