Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

IND has traded back with OAK from 140

ColtsBlitz

6 minutes ago, threeflight said:

The odds of any 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick playing any significant role, let alone even making the team, are pretty low.

To get an extra pick when a proven first round player with health issues in Hurst is on the board?

I don't get it.  If he gets well?  It's a huge steal.  If he doesn't? Then he is just like most other picks taken where he was.  Barely playing or cut.

Once again, Ballard goes conservative and goes for depth instead of actual starters.

How many sure fire starters can we say came from this draft?  2?   Nelson and the LB?

With THIS MANY selections in the early rounds.

Sorry, but imo he has totally blown this draft.

Nate Hairston and Robert Mathis disagree. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, threeflight said:

The odds of any 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick playing any significant role, let alone even making the team, are pretty low.

To get an extra pick when a proven first round player with health issues in Hurst is on the board?

I don't get it.  If he gets well?  It's a huge steal.  If he doesn't? Then he is just like most other picks taken where he was.  Barely playing or cut.

Once again, Ballard goes conservative and goes for depth instead of actual starters.

How many sure fire starters can we say came from this draft?  2?   Nelson and the LB?

I may have taken a chance on Hurst myself but that doesn't make this draft a bust.  At the same time, I'm hard-pressed to believe you even know any of these players.  You are simply pining for the players you know over the ones you don't.  I'm also hard-pressed to believe anyone can say a draft is good or bad until a couple years post draft but I love we're finally showing some draft discipline and not going after the shiny objects.  If Luck is healthy we'll be a double-digit win team. Don't hyperventilate.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Most of your post was inaccurate.   But this is the most inaccurate.   In what way is he a proven first round player? He wasn't drafted in the first round.  So he clearly wasn't a proven first round player

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Most of your post was inaccurate.   But this is the most inaccurate.   In what way is he a proven first round player? He wasn't drafted in the first round.  So he clearly wasn't a proven first round player

I am out of LIKES but we get blamed for the silliest stuff. 31 other teams passed on him in 4 Rounds so I guess they are silly too lmao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Ive said this before and Ill say again. it doesn't matter what round you're drafted in. It only matters rather or not you can play

• Like 1

Seriously....   some of you people...

In situations involving something as serious as a heart...  it's often not the call of the GM.     It's more typically the call of the team doctor and owner.  

And for many teams, Hurst was taken completely off their board.    You think Chris Ballard wouldn't have loved Maurice Hurst?!?    He's made for our defense, a perfect fit.   If we didn't take him in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round there's a darn good reason...

This is disgraceful...   just shameful....

• Like 1

Can this generation use any adjectives other than trash, sucks, or hot mess?

Here's a unique approach...."Time will tell but I don't agree with this draft". That stance is true to one's beliefs, without degrading that which is yet not proven.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously....   some of you people...

In situations involving something as serious as a heart...  it's often not the call of the GM.     It's more typically the call of the team doctor and owner.  

And fir many teams, Hurst was taken completely off their board.    You think Chrus Ballard wouldn't have loved Maurice Hurst?!?    He's made for our defense, a perfect fit.   If we didn't take him in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round there's a darn good reason...

This is disgraceful...   just shameful....

Out of LIKES but Great Post!

• Like 1

It'd be nice to get Holton Hill and Skai Moore with the next two picks...

Not to get into the "instant analysis" fray here, but it is nuts to me that so many of us are reacting so strongly to the players that have been drafted to Indy so far... Obviously, none of these have seen the field yet. We all know that NFL GMs are privy to information that we have no way of knowing and their boards reflect that. 

If our team of highly paid scouts, NFL lifers, say that one guy is more valuable to the team than another, I am inclined to always give them the benefit of the doubt... at least until the coaches and draftees have had a chance to see what these guys can do...

It's just waaay to early to be getting so heated about it, on either side. I'm not just talking about the forum... the comments on some of the articles are so unnecessarily brutal, imo. This might be the best or worst Colts draft of all time, but none of us know that yet.

36 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

This tells me the Colts didnt like Hurst's medicals. If he turns into a great player this will be heavily scrutinized.

Since every team in the NFL passed on Hurst 4, sometimes 5 times, this is a universal statement.

41 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Doesn't he have a heart condition?

Yes.

38 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

This tells me the Colts didnt like Hurst's medicals. If he turns into a great player this will be heavily scrutinized.

He had further tests done, and his doctors 'cleared ' him for pro day.  But teams have access to those tests, and teams share info if a test happens to get more medical information of a player (teams are not Health Care providers). Apparently, the medical teams of many/most teams do not like the prognosis from the information they have.  Not taking chances.

38 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Thanks for the insight, coach.

• 8 months later...
On 4/28/2018 at 2:26 PM, Rally5 said:

I may have taken a chance on Hurst myself but that doesn't make this draft a bust.  At the same time, I'm hard-pressed to believe you even know any of these players.  You are simply pining for the players you know over the ones you don't.  I'm also hard-pressed to believe anyone can say a draft is good or bad until a couple years post draft but I love we're finally showing some draft discipline and not going after the shiny objects.  If Luck is healthy we'll be a double-digit win team. Don't hyperventilate.

How much fun is it to pull up all these old posts?  Very!

On 4/28/2018 at 2:26 PM, Rally5 said:

Maybe he was just "liquored up"!  Way Wide left. Patience grasshopper.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I still think this is where CB messed up.  I would rather have Hurst than Cain and Fountain.

Hurst showed he was healthy and really came on this year.

You would come across better if you would just admit how wrong you were.

"Sorry, but imo he has totally blown this draft."

Your opinion on the draft was really wrong.

31 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

You would come across better if you would just admit how wrong you were.

"Sorry, but imo he has totally blown this draft."

Your opinion on the draft was really wrong.

I already said in the other thread today that I was wrong about CB's draft overall.

Said I would gladly eat crow.

However that doesn't mean I wouldn't rather have Hurst than the 2 WRs.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I already said in the other thread today that I was wrong about CB's draft overall.

You definitely manned up!

9 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Well it is good that you said that, but not unlike during the draft threads, it is still to early do determine what Cain and Fountain will be.  Hurst was more than likely off the Colts board.  Cain getting injured was probably the biggest disappointment for me.  After seeing Cain play in college and what he had reportedly been performing in camp, I was very interested in seeing if he could play at the pro level.  Fountain, imo, was a project when they drafted him and remains that today, hopefully he turns into a productive wr.

6 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Well it is good that you said that, but not unlike during the draft threads, it is still to early do determine what Cain and Fountain will be.  Hurst was more than likely off the Colts board.  Cain getting injured was probably the biggest disappointment for me.  After seeing Cain play in college and what he had reportedly been performing in camp, I was very interested in seeing if he could play at the pro level.  Fountain, imo, was a project when they drafted him and remains that today, hopefully he turns into a productive wr.

Yes I agree with this.

Cain to me has some real potential....but of course that is a long way away from being NFL productive.

Fountain who knows really.

I grew up in MI and even though I went to MSU and live in CA now, I stil follow U-M football and was always super impressed with Hurst.  Just seemed like a guy that always was in the backfield and disruptive.

Would have loved to have him on the Colts and to me he seemed well worth the risk.

Of course if either of the 2 WRs work out?  It helps mitigate the damage of not drafting him quite a bit.

Time will tell.

20 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Maybe Fountain is that wrinkle Coach is talking about??

I would like to see him play and contribute but I think putting him in for the first time under such a high level game is wishful thinking. Of course Luck tosses a TD to a fullback/TE guy last week in a win and in type game, as his first touch all year so I suppose anything is possible. Let’s hope for the win. 

3 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Every time I see this thread bumped up I first think it’s a current trade.  

Me too.  When I first saw the title yesterday, I immediately went to the Colts, NFL, and ESPN sites to get the details before clicking on the thread to see fan opinions.

I couldn't find the story anywhere, got confused, came back and clicked on the thread to see it was from last years' draft...  :bored:

• Thanks 1