Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Here's great info on Kemoko Turay at Senior Bowl

Gigc

Check out this web article. Goes into great detail, with video clips, of Turay at the Senior Bowl. Yesterday, Ballard kinda jumped on questions at his press conference, said Turay "didn't look like a project at the Senior Bowl; he looked like the best friggin pass rusher there."

https://www.onthebanks.com/2018/1/30/16949082/rutgers-football-kemoko-turay-shines-at-reeses-senior-bowl-nfl-future-looks-bright-draft-combine

image.png.32aec0933a81e32354ba9e7d826213ef.png

• Like 6

The stats they showed comparing him to the top guys in this year's draft were definitely interesting.

I actually went to a Rutgers game this past season but don't remember him (not like I had reason to look for him).

It was the game Ohio State beat them I think 60-0...something like that, so I'm assuming there weren't many highlights from anyone on that team.

At first glance this seems like TJ 2.0. I hope he turns out to be a great selection. My only question is maybe he was taken a little high. If he turns out to be a 8-10 sack a year guy he was worth it. I read a couple of responses in the press that questioned taking him so high.

8 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

At first glance this seems like TJ 2.0. I hope he turns out to be a great selection. My only question is maybe he was taken a little high. If he turns out to be a 8-10 sack a year guy he was worth it. I read a couple of responses in the press that questioned taking him so high.

Not directed at you, but:

It doesn’t really matter whether a player might be taken “a little to high” because absolutely no one knows his true value before in a year or two (or three). It is a probability game, and I think it is better just to be a bit excited about the prospect than letting you get down because some media guys think he was taken too early. Our team liked him a lot, should they really take someone else because the media had placed other guys higher that we might be lukewarm on? Surely not.

Sure, it would be more fun if everybody told us that we killed this draft and our GM is a bloody genius, but you’re not getting ahead by following in others footsteps.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Holder tweeted about it...

When you watch his tape, it's not actually all that surprising at all. Now i've only seen his tape vs. OSU, Michigan and Washington, but you can see some of the things Ballard talks about; the first step, the athleticism, his length. It's kind of frustrating watching play for the Rutgers because the scheme he was in as an 3-4 EDGE, didn't allow him to rush the passer not nearly enough as he should have. But when he did, he genuinely looked really slippery and disruptive, and nearly always seemed to get pressure on the QB. Tackles really struggled with him 1 on 1.

I think starting off, we should do what the Jags did with Ngakoue and get him on purely to rush the passer, because that what he is best doing. So Simon on 1st and 2nd down, Turay on 3rd down. He has a lot of refinement need with his hands and dipping and holding balance, but he has all the measurables and athleticism to get good at that. Im quite excited about him long term, but I think he needs to be stronger in taking on blocks against the run.

• Like 1

We have to keep in mind that if the pass is not a factor, then the pass rush is not a factor. When playing better competition, teams like Ohio State can just continue running between the tackles and there is nothing a team like Rutgers can do about it. When up 35-0, a pass might be thrown in for rhythm purposes once every 4 runs, so you have to evaluate him and the pass rush with that in mind, and take the context he played under into consideration too, IMO. :) 

That goes without saying for us, pass rush is not a huge factor on 3rd and 1 or 2nd and 2 nearly as much as 3rd and 10 or 2nd and 10.

33 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

WOW!!!

Loved how he beat that RT in practice and then around the blue tackledummy.

Another hidden gem from Ballard.

Yep, he definitely knows how to make QBs feel uncomfortable, hurry their throws, or move off their spot, which is all we can really ask for. Kemoko doesn't even have to sack the QB. Just give him happy feet & get around their ankles.

Field generals hate that--Pressure right up the middle & scrums near their plant foot. Drives them nuts. Very good pick. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Yep, he definitely knows how to make QBs feel uncomfortable, hurry their throws, or move off their spot, which is all we can really ask for. Kemoko doesn't even have to sack the QB. Just give him happy feet & get around their ankles.

Field generals hate that--scrums near their plant foot. Drives them nuts. Very good pick. 

is he going to play DT or DE?

4 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Not directed at you, but:

It doesn’t really matter whether a player might be taken “a little to high” because absolutely no one knows his true value before in a year or two (or three). It is a probability game, and I think it is better just to be a bit excited about the prospect than letting you get down because some media guys think he was taken too early. Our team liked him a lot, should they really take someone else because the media had placed other guys higher that we might be lukewarm on? Surely not.

Sure, it would be more fun if everybody told us that we killed this draft and our GM is a bloody genius, but you’re not getting ahead by following in others footsteps.

The little tape ive seen of him he has a great burst. hope he's Robert mathis 2.0

• Like 1

18 hours ago, theanarchist said:

Listening to Venturi on JMV today, he explained "Reaches" I think very well: Theres X# of players who rated Round 1, then the fall off was to Round 3. For teams needing X position, if they dont take those R1 talents, they'll "reach" down to pull them up 1 round  where they "should" go due to lack of talent at that position in that particular draft. Teams use this "gamble" as they expect players who they rate higher to drop if theres a lot of those type of players in the draft.

See LB's this year: There were 6 LBs rated in the top 3 rounds, 4 taken in the 1st round. Those 4 Venturi had as R1 talents, but the other 2 were R3. Meanwhile, other positions such as Guards (example only) were in greater supply, likely bringing down several to lower positions where they would be available. So, take the rare talents over the common talent.

Similar to last year's draft, where there was a plethora of Defensive players near the top, while only a few Offensive players. This lead to a rush on Offensive players, which pushed Hooker down to us

• Like 1