Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select NC State RB Nyheim Hines

MTC

Lol idk why people assume Mack can’t be an inbetween the tackles kind of guy..he’s literally about the same size as freeman on the falcons if not bigger and he’s an inbetween the tackles back.. you don’t have to be 230+ to run the football up the middle just have to have vision an explosive burst to shoot through..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Weaknesses

Smaller than ideal as a running back

Needs to do better job of sidestepping big hits or face durability concerns

Better athlete than running back and better runner than receiver

Lacks feel for blocking in front of him

Hasn't learned to hug the lane and flow away from traffic just yet

Can be slow to see run lane development allowing defenders a chance to close

Needs to run with more consistent tempo and rhythm in outside zone

Vision stalls when attempting to find cutback lanes

Not a natural pass catcher and has dealt with drops throughout his career

Needs to improve sink into routes and quickness into his breaks

HAHAHAHAAHAHA you just proved my point. You have no idea who he is. You just pasted NFL.coms draft profile where it says if he doesnt do a better job of sidestepping he COULD face durability concerns. You said he has durability issues.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, k9copinmd said:

I'm "huh"ing because he seems a lot like Mack and there were better guys available at other positions that fit our needs. But that's my opinion.  

He is a lot like Mack. Why wouldn't want more of that speed. He's nearly 200 lbs and will be able to break tackles in this league. This is going to be a dangerous 2 man tandem behind the interior o-line we have. 

What needs were as big as runningback going into this draft? Many were calling for a 2nd round back. 

5 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Weaknesses

Nice copy and paste.   Now if you could just learn to spell Freeney. 

• Like 4

VERY different skillset than Mack.

He played slot receiver, kick returner and running back at N.C. State and would be more of a mix and match chess piece like Sproles or McCaffery, et al....

You guys seem to forget that CB mentioned Matt Jones by name as someone he believes in.....which is a good compliment to Mack already.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, will426 said:

Lol idk why people assume Mack can’t be an inbetween the tackles kind of guy..he’s literally about the same size as freeman on the falcons if not bigger and he’s an inbetween the tackles back.. you don’t have to be 230+ to run the football up the middle just have to have vision an explosive burst to shoot through..

Until you hit a wall of players and your lack of size and power gets you dropped almost immediately. I do think however that Mack will surprise us this year. I feel like he's the type to work on his deficiencies. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Not just speed... but playmaker! Just what everyone was crying for. 

He and Mack will take several to the house this season. 

I absolutely agree I just wanted to burst out with his speed. Him and Mac will be a nice 1-2 punch and Turbin will be the bruiser

10 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Fastest guy at the combine. We have Mack. Looks like we added more speed.

Interesting that they didn’t go for a bigger back. Either they WANT speed, or they’re very confident in Matt Jones to be the big back.

He can catch too. Another weapon for Reich to utilize.

They want speed. They want guys that can create space and matchup problems... Hines can cause a lot of headaches in the passing game for linebackers. What linebacker is going to cover this in coverage? 

9 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Weaknesses

There's a difference between HAS durability issues and FACES durability issues.  

One means and he has a problem right now..   the other means he COULD have a problem going forward.

1 minute ago, Calmack said:

Until you hit a wall of players and your lick of size and power gets you dropped almost immediately. I do think however that Mack will surprise us this year. I feel like he's the type to work on his deficiencies. 

What do you mean though he’s not as light and small as everyone makes him up to be? He’s legit the same size as many backs who start in this league and the same size as some of the teams who run by committee.. I will judge him behind a good line not the makeshift that we had I applaud Gore for his great Vision he made it work for this line lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

He is a lot like Mack. Why wouldn't want more of that speed. He's nearly 200 lbs and will be able to break tackles in this league. This is going to be a dangerous 2 man tandem behind the interior o-line we have. 

What needs were as big as runningback going into this draft? Many were calling for a 2nd round back. 

I'm not saying he is a bad player. I honestly don't know a lot about the guy. I hope all you guys who are excited about this are right and he is a star. I personally would have gone in a different direction like LB, WR, or CB.

43 minutes ago, will426 said:

Mack is 5'11 1/2" and 210.

Freeman is 5'8" and 205.

These two players are NOTHING alike.   Not even a little.

• Thanks 2

Hines can end up being a great pick. It will really depend on how Reich and his staff use him. Players like Hines are where a good coaching staff can make the difference. He can add another dimension to this offense. There should be plenty of plays calls where Luck gets rid of it quickly to Hines. I like it!

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

If we play him in the sot, his durability issues as an RB will be less, right?

He runs a 4.3?   We'll find something for him to do.

He has great speed like TJ Green does but the difference is Hines has a tremendous skill set and can line up in many different positions. Of course he has deficiencies that's why he's being picked in the fourth round but a lot of his deficiencies can be corrected by good coaching. 

1 minute ago, k9copinmd said:

I'm not saying he is a bad player. I honestly don't know a lot about the guy. I hope all you guys who are excited about this are right and he is a star. I personally would have gone in a different direction like LB, WR, or CB.

Allan Lazzard is going to be there for us in the 5th. Connection with Tom Manning the new tight ends coach, former Iowa State O-Coordinator. We will snag 2 receivers through the rest of this draft/UDFA

This offense will be pretty exciting if the O-Line plays to their potential.  If they create some gaps/holes for Mack and Hines to pop into like they should, teams will finally need to worry about something other than Luck's arm beating them.  We will definitely see some big chunk plays and some real game wreckers.  Luck should no longer have to do everything on his own. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Mack is 5'11 1/2" and 210.

Freeman is 5'8" and 205.

Thuse two players are NOTHING alike.   Not even a little.

So he’s 5’11 and 210 compared to Freeman’s 5’8 205 yet people say he can’t become an inbetween the tackles kind of back because he’s too small I’m lost lol 

• Thanks 1