Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select NC State RB Nyheim Hines

MTC

Love it. Absolutely love it. Big time playmaker.

Link to Nyheim AMA (=fan-player interaction)

Some of the interaction:

Fan: Your teammate, Bradley Chubb, is expected to be a top ten pick. What was it like going up against him in practice?

Hines:It was hell...for him.

Fan: How much do you read into mock drafts and reports from draft experts to see where you're projected to go? Do you watch yourself climbing/falling in draft rankings or just kinda do your thing and see how it all plays out?

Hines: No i don't watch much of the draft projections, friends and family have showed me projection and I believe I will go higher than all of the mock drafts i have seen.

Fan: What Running Back has most inspired you/ who have you modeled your game after?

Hines: Warrick Dunn, Priest Holmes were my favorites growing up, I love McCaffery's and Kamara's game.

Fan: Who's your favorite RB form days of NFL past? Who's your current favorite?

Hines: From the past Warrick Dunn. Present: Alvin Kamara and Christian McCaffrey. I feel our games are similar.

Fan: Who do you think your best NFL comparison is?

Hines: Tyreek Hill - I'm explosive and dangerous.

Fan: What was the craziest question you were asked at the combine?

Hines: Nothing crazy like you may have heard. Whether I was a dog or a cat was about as weird as it got.

Fan: Well... are you a dog or a cat?

Hines: A dog. Because I'm territorial!

Fan: Did you get a chance to talk with Bill Belichick at your pro day? And if so, how did it go?

Hines: I was literally face to face with him and he told me how to run a route and then walked away. Is that considered talking to Bill Belichick.

Fan: You have a very unique first name. Is there any backstory behind it?

Hines: I have a twin sister named Nyah. We were Zion and Zoe for 3 days and my grandmother told my mom those names were "yuck."

Fan: Do you see yourself in a similar role like Cohen and Hill are for their respective teams?

Hines: Absolutely

Fan: What do you think your biggest strength is coming into the NFL? Thing you need to work on the most? Also, good luck with the draft

Hines: I'm a Swiss army knife. I can line up anywhere, I can play specials, and I can do all of those things well. I can always stand to improve in all facets of the game, even my supposed strengths, so I just work on giving 100% and getting better.

• Like 1

WOW! This is... a very interesting pick. I kind of didn't expect it because we already have Mack playing similar role, but... very very intriguing! He's more of a... wide-ranging weapon than a simple RB. He used to be a receiver... he can be moved anywhere on the LOS and he can run WR routes... he catches the ball real well. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, MightyLucks said:

AKA hes not one of the big name backs so I dont know him so he must suck!

Weaknesses

Smaller than ideal as a running back

Needs to do better job of sidestepping big hits or face durability concerns

Better athlete than running back and better runner than receiver

Lacks feel for blocking in front of him

Hasn't learned to hug the lane and flow away from traffic just yet

Can be slow to see run lane development allowing defenders a chance to close

Needs to run with more consistent tempo and rhythm in outside zone

Vision stalls when attempting to find cutback lanes

Not a natural pass catcher and has dealt with drops throughout his career

Needs to improve sink into routes and quickness into his breaks

Fastest guy at the combine. We have Mack. Looks like we added more speed.

Interesting that they didn’t go for a bigger back. Either they WANT speed, or they’re very confident in Matt Jones to be the big back.

He can catch too. Another weapon for Reich to utilize.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

4.38 40 in the combine. Best return back in the draft... Can catch out of the backfield and split out if you need him to. Ran a 4.31 in highschool... 

What are "huh"ing about? 

I'm "huh"ing because he seems a lot like Mack and there were better guys available at other positions that fit our needs. But that's my opinion.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

WOW! This is... a very interesting pick. I kind of didn't expect it because we already have Mack playing similar role, but... very very intriguing! He's more of a... wide-ranging weapon than a simple RB. He used to be a receiver... he can be moved anywhere on the LOS and he can run WR routes... he catches the ball real well. 

At 198 he isn’t overly diminutive, but his speed may have gotten him typecast in a way. I am already salivating thinking about him on screen plays behind a wall of mauler O-linemen! Not to mention the deception with him and Mack on the field!

• Like 3