Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Still don't have a starting 2nd CB...

5 hours ago, boo2202 said:

So I'm guessing Basham and Stewart are wasted picks from last year. 

I'd say they were picks with this scheme shift in mind. Basham is a solid 4-3 DE with very good upside and Stewart projects as a penetrating 3 tech DT. His first step is crazy quick for a guy his size. He may take a year or 2 to fully develop, but I can see him staying around for a while.

Teams have started to realize the value in stockpiling quality DL players to be able to keep fresh legs on the field. Typically, the same 5 O-linemen play all game long (barring injuries), so if you're in the 4th quarter, the OL is usually pretty gassed. With even decent DT's and DE's with fresh legs coming at them, those O-linemen are going to have a really tough time slowing them down.

A few of the guys we drafted are also going to take a few years to develop and be able to start. By that time, Simon and Sheard will probably be gone and we'll have more developmental guys behind Basham, Turay, and Lewis.

• Like 1

There are guys getting cut from other teams as we speak right now.  We are in good position on any waiver claims we want to make.  And I'm sure there's going to be a decent veteran or two who gets axed in the next couple days/weeks.

• Like 5

On 4/28/2018 at 1:03 AM, KB said:

Pierre Desir, Quincy Wilson, Nate Hairston... wait that's three.

On 4/28/2018 at 8:50 AM, WoolMagnet said:

Moore

"Desir, Pierre and Wilson, Quincy,

Add in Hairston,and see - it's three!.

Don't forget we claimed Ken Moore 

Flabbergast, I think we've four!"

- Dr. Suess

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

- Dr. Suess

Do u live in Colorado?

just curious

(nicely done tho)

• Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 8:46 PM, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

Nor a 2nd starting WR, nor a starting RB. Lorenzo Carter on the board and we reach again for a situational pass rusher? Ummm stupid pick there.

We don't have a starting 2nd CB..... but gee we have depth...  agree with you... disappointing picks with much better talent still available at the time.  

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

- Dr. Suess

he mentioned we don't have a "Starting 2nd CB" and there isn't one that deserves to be anyway.....

Desir started 6 games last year. I'm fine with him being penciled in for now, especially in the new defense. Hairston is also more than capable, IMO. Ballard also said last year he thinks Green's best position is corner, so add him to the stable (until Ballard trades him for a container of Gatorade).

And there's the possibility that Ballard adds a veteran once the comp deadline passes. Breeland is still out there, as are others.

At WR, Grant is WR2, Rogers is also in the mix. I'm very unconcerned about WR for now. 

RB will be RBBC, and with stable of backs already on the roster, plus the two rookies, every role out of the backfield is accounted for. 

I don't really have any concerns about the offensive personnel right now, and corner is one of the least critical positions in this defense, IMO. My concerns are at linebacker, pass rusher, and with the health of some of the best players on the roster (Luck, Geathers, Hooker, etc.)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Desir started 6 games last year. I'm fine with him being penciled in for now, especially in the new defense. Hairston is also more than capable, IMO. Ballard also said last year he thinks Green's best position is corner, so add him to the stable (until Ballard trades him for a container of Gatorade).

And there's the possibility that Ballard adds a veteran once the comp deadline passes. Breeland is still out there, as are others.

At WR, Grant is WR2, Rogers is also in the mix. I'm very unconcerned about WR for now. 

RB will be RBBC, and with stable of backs already on the roster, plus the two rookies, every role out of the backfield is accounted for. 

I don't really have any concerns about the offensive personnel right now, and corner is one of the least critical positions in this defense, IMO. My concerns are at linebacker, pass rusher, and with the health of some of the best players on the roster (Luck, Geathers, Hooker, etc.)

Yep...biggest concerns our our guys coming back from injury...to me that's Luck and Hooker. We have a super young team...going to be some growing pains. I do worry about receiver because we just don't have dependable guys that we know will get open for Luck but these guys are paid to catch the ball. I'm sure we will bring in a couple vets at a few different positions when the players start getting cut during preseason etc. This defense corners need to be able to come up and tackle and keep plays in front of them. I have faith our guys can do that. I DON'T have faith yet that we will have much a pass rush or that our linebackers will be good in coverage....not yet...I hope they do. Main thing....I don't see where we will force turnovers from in this defense. Hooker is one I think can do it but still have to see him healthy...pass rushers can cause turnovers but yet to see who can step up....and LBs...well definitely unproven there. I don't see us causing a lot of turnovers from our corners. A lot of uncertainties....but there should be a lot of excitement for watching these young guys grow....hopefully into stars!

I think it's a missed opportunity by Ballard to not get at least one CB out of this draft.  

I have made my love for McFadden known. But McFadden, Hill and Meeks all seem like great fits for zone coverage...tall, long, can jump, good ball skills. And all three made it to UDFAs. Look at who signed them. Meeks went to JAC...a top defense. Hill went to MIN...another top defense. And McFadden went to SF...who seems to be poised to have a breakout season.

So I would have drafted at least one of them to make sure I got them. Maybe someone will get cut and Ballard can scoop them up. Colts have third priority in the waiver wire I believe.

ike the philosophy or not, Ballard has said it will take three years to build this roster. To use the 'building a house " analogy, you build it from the foundation up. In football terms, the foundation is the offense and defense lines. He has done a very respectable job of improving the OL and has improved the DL which was already ahead of the OL. There was no way he could rebuild the entire team in one year. I believe he has improved the offense by adding speed and has somewhat improved the LB. DBs can be improved by signing some free agents but I think Wilson, Desir and Hairston are an OK start. I believe with the WR we drafted we are improved there also. With some luck with guys coming back from injuries and by avoiding more injuries this year we have a good start to improving a very poor roster. Next year we can concentrate on CBs and LBs and tweek some of the other positions that need tweeking. 

The other option was to try to improve every position and not be able in one draft  to really improve any position much at all. I personally respect the approach he is taking by improving a few positions each year. Our roster was very,very weak and it will be a few more draft and then FA before we are once again respectable unless Andrew is back to his old self. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HectorRoberts said:

Desir I think did very well at a starting cb last year, I will say though if we have any sort of injury at cb it could be devastating due to our lack of depth. 

Depends on what the roster looks like heading into the regular season.  I'm expecting him to bring in more veteran competition and others.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2018 at 8:16 AM, krunk said:

Interesting that Ballard was the reason Green was switched to corner last year.  Wasnt a Pagano decision.   According to the Indystart article from Stephen Holder.

Yes....   but I don't think it took long to figure out that wasn't working...   if remember correctly, green was moved back to safety long before the season was over ...    I think he played the vast majority at safety, did he not?

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes....   but I don't think it took long to figure out that wasn't working...   if remember correctly, green was moved back to safety long before the season was over ...    I think he played the vast majority at safety, did he not?

But isn't that sort of meddling?  I thought Ballard said he stays away from advising the coaches about what to do with a player?  I guess all GMs get involved in one way or the other.

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

But isn't that sort of meddling?  I thought Ballard said he stays away from advising the coaches about what to do with a player?  I guess all GMs get involved in one way or the other.

I think it would be meddling if they had kept Green there for a long stretch even after he showed he wasn't a good fit there...

And I think we had a crunch there..   one or more corners were out or not ready...   Vonte and Wilson? 

And here is Ballard owning it...   guys who own it typically aren't guys who meddle...   he was only trying to help and his idea simply didn't work.   He's letting everyone know that wasn't the idea of Pagano or the DC...   I like that he's taking the bullet like this...

• Like 3