Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

52nd pick: Indianapolis Colts select DE Kemoko Turay

TKnight24

9 hours ago, Shive said:

What's killing me is that a bunch of us spend the offseason watching film, evaluating players, doing mock drafts, and talking about players. Come draft day, people come out of the woodwork screeching about how terrible these players are and "who is that?" If you don't you know Kemoko Turay is, I don't think you have any reason to be upset at the pick. ESPN and NFL.com have him rated lower than where he went, so obviously CB doesn't know what he's doing. /s

I really like him, even though I projected him a bit lower than where we picked him. He needs some refinement, but I think in a year or 2 he could be a really good DE for us. Keep in mind that we have some bodies at DE and don't expect to be contending this year, so taking a guy that should be hitting his stride when your roster should be ready for contention is setting yourself up for the long haul.

I deleted it from your comment, but Guices fall had me okay with passing on him. A projected first round running back rarely falls that far. He could work it out, but he could also not and it’s a wasted pick. Mack turned out to be a great pick (imo, just give him more carries and coach him more to go north and south )that has potential. 

As for the forum, I probably got too worked up. People have a right to their own opinions, sometimes it just makes me mad to see blatant hate where it is not needed. There is always a nervous energy behind every pick, we all feel that. 

My guess about Ballards draft strategy this year is that he likes the front 7 talent in those early rounds, but thought there was a drop off. I also believe he thinks that the skill positions were not as strong this year, and has just as good a chance  to find a starter in rounds 4-7 than 2 and 3. Just my opinion, but there is a plan we are not seeing because we aren’t the ones in that war room

• Like 1

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I know a good football player when I see one. Turay is pretty good. Just need to let him loose and teach him the trade Rob Mathis.

I agree I think Turay is more ready then some think. Did you see him at the Senior Bowl? This was a very solid pick I think he's going to surprise some people this year. He has the juice we've been missing coming off the edge. I like this pick we may finally start knocking opposing QB's around. 

21 hours ago, krunk said:

Reminds me of Justin Houston some

For me, it's a younger Robert Quinn. His play style is so similar to Quinn's as well. Violent hands with a great rip move. If this young man can put his game together and develop some consistency, he's got all-pro potential.

8 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Robert Mathis really likes this pick. Said he had been scouting him. That alone should be encouraging to those spouting off "another reach".

I think Robert Mathis said Bjorn Werner was going to dominate the NFL too.

Robert Mathis was a great player. . . I havn't seen any evidence that he's a great scout.  

I hope the guy does well but I'm not going to suddenly love this pick cause Robert Mathis said it was good.  This pick of all is the one I'm most skeptical about. 

• Thanks 1

Love how some think they are smarter than one of the most successful scouts in the past decade. Trust Ballard, he has a great eye for talent. 

Scouting report on Turay

What we did was look at all the top pass-rushers in this draft. (Bradley) Chubb, (Marcus) Davenport, (Harold) Landry. Compared them with Kemoko. The amount of times they rushed the passer, and the amount of times they affected the QB, whether by sack, hurries or hits. Kemoko rushed the passer – throughout his career, which was four years – half as many times as all the other guys. Everyone was around 1,000 rushes. Kemoko was like 550. The amount of times Kemoko hurried the QB was close to the guys who had 500 more rushes. Hits? Was more than the other guys. This is total number, not percentage, in regards to pressures.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Robert Mathis was a great player. . . I havn't seen any evidence that he's a great scout.  

I hope the guy does well but I'm not going to suddenly love this pick cause Robert Mathis said it was good.  This pick of all is the one I'm most skeptical about. 

I don't recall Mathis ever saying that about Werner. If Mathis says Turay is going to be a star I bet there's a good chance he will...... He probably see a lot of himself in that kid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rayski said:

Love how some think they are smarter than one of the most successful scouts in the past decade. Trust Ballard, he has a great eye for talent. 

Scouting report on Turay

What we did was look at all the top pass-rushers in this draft. (Bradley) Chubb, (Marcus) Davenport, (Harold) Landry. Compared them with Kemoko. The amount of times they rushed the passer, and the amount of times they affected the QB, whether by sack, hurries or hits. Kemoko rushed the passer – throughout his career, which was four years – half as many times as all the other guys. Everyone was around 1,000 rushes. Kemoko was like 550. The amount of times Kemoko hurried the QB was close to the guys who had 500 more rushes. Hits? Was more than the other guys. This is total number, not percentage, in regards to pressures.

ballard has had misses

14 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

ballard has had misses

Remember some guys arnt the scheme we are looking for like harold landry he was playing a 3-4 in college and is going to 3-4 team js most guys we didn't want cuz they didnt fit the scheme and we was trying to fix our lines before anything

11 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I don't recall Mathis ever saying that about Werner. If Mathis says Turay is going to be a star I bet there's a good chance he will...... He probably see a lot of himself in that kid.

I hope he does but just because a great player thinks the kid is going to do well doesn't mean that they will.  Otherwise a team could dominate the NFL by simply filling out their scouting ranks with former great players.  

• Like 1

On 4/29/2018 at 2:11 AM, krunk said:

I know a good football player when I see one. Turay is pretty good. Just need to let him loose and teach him the trade Rob Mathis.

I like the upside as well. There’s a lot to be excited about. Not every prospect is a finished product coming out. The only guy we drafted that was is Nelson. Turay has got the right tools and already knows how to rush the passer. He’s got a higher ceiling and floor than Bashem.

59 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I like the upside as well. There’s a lot to be excited about. Not every prospect is a finished product coming out. The only guy we drafted that was is Nelson. Turay has got the right tools and already knows how to rush the passer. He’s got a higher ceiling and floor than Bashem.

Yep. Turay is not a project player. As of now, I'd rather have him on the field than Basham. Now, he still needs work, but the potential and upside are there. I can also see why he was taken instead of Landry.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 2:58 AM, aaron11 said:

ballard has had misses

Yep, who hasnt tho? Still drafted the likes of Forte, Briggs, Tillman, Dee Ford, Tyreek Hill, Kelce and so on so on. The guy has been around the great team building projects one actually reaching the Super Bowl. No reason to go on a rant saying it's our worse draft class or he is like Griggson (I know it wasn't you but some others)

I've been watching more of kid from the Senior Bowl linemen drills and you can see why Ballard was impressed by him. One thing I really liked was Turay's bend. You combine that with his athleticism, get off and length, you have the raw essentials to make a really good pass rusher once you teach him how to use his hands better. I'm excited to see how he progresses here.

https://gifs.com/gif/2018-senior-bowl-practice-analysis-day-2-ol-vs-dl-Q0B9pZ

Really if just four of these guys they just drafted become starters, that will have been a REALLY good draft.  If it's 5 or more, it's elite level.  We had 11 picks, so the more darts you throw, the better your chances of hitting the target.  I believe this will be a theme of Ballard's as long as he's here.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 6:58 PM, aaron11 said:

ballard has had misses

Every General Manager in the history of sports has had misses.   All of them.

That's what happens when humans judge other humans.   Nobody is perfect.

The idea is to have fewer mistakes...  keep them to a minimum...   with 11 draft  picks this year, odds are Ballard will miss on somebody...    that happens to everyone in a draft.

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Every General Manager in the history of sports has had misses.   All of them.

ballard just said this same thing.  i think that makes it fair game for us arm chair GMs to grade the picks and what not, even before they have played 

28 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

ballard just said this same thing.  i think that makes it fair game for us arm chair GMs to grade the picks and what not, even before they have played 

If course it's fair to grade...

But saying Ballard has had misses isn't a grade...  it's just telling us what we already know...

There's a difference...

On 4/30/2018 at 12:23 PM, Valpo2004 said:

I don't think he ever said that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2018 at 6:39 PM, ColtsBlitz said:

You guys are ridiculous. None of us have access to film like any NFL team does. They haven’t even seen the field and everyone hates them. Good God this forum is annoying

After the Nelson pick, I stayed far away from the forum, had to wait for the dust to settle before I came back in. Just brutal.

• Like 2