Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I have seen 1.5 Ballard Drafts..color me not impressed

threeflight

54 minutes ago, ColtsAC said:

I hope its not the same roomful of coaches and scouts that came up with last years draft gems. I just have my doubts about this group. Not because they shy away from more familiar names but from just the production on the field. Maybe this class will be different.

73 posts...

10 minutes ago, Tunggreat said:

One thing I can say about Ballard, his draft board is way different than many experts and analysts. Not sure that's a good thing but we will see. 

One thing I can say for certain, is that Ballard doesnt give a damn what self proclaimed experts from espn say... and he watched a heckuva lot more film than any of them did on these guys. 

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

Well....I hate to be called a naysayer but I have so far seen last years draft and 3 picks of the 2018 draft, and if I am being honest, nothing blows me a way.

Last year we still have a few years to evaluate, but I don't know...average at best??

This year, we have Nelson draft first.  Solid pick.  Good pick.  Could it have been something more based on what they started with and the ability to trade down more because of the run on QBs?

Probably.

The next 2 picks........I don't know.  Not saying they are not solid players, but at the stage in which they were drafted?  Both seem like reaches.  You had some true studs left on the board.  Studs that could have turned out, maybe not turned out.  But they would not have been reaches and they could have excited the fan base.  

It just feels as if Ballard is always going conservative.  I am a big believer that almost all sports teams are basically equal when it comes to 80% of the roster.  It is the other 20% made up of STARS that truly make a difference.  And I don't feel we have any...other than Luck if he comes back and maybe Hilton.  

Not impressed so far.

Bust!!! Every one is a bust before they even see the field! Fire everyone!!!!!

I had to get away from the chat and turn off the TV to calm down a bit, but the 2nd round looks like my dream 3rd round. Four players I love in the 3rd, but are all exactly a round reach from where they were picked in the 2nd. Basically sucked all the value out of the Jets trade. Not saying they are busts, but I believe they have lower potential than guys above them.

Leonard was probably planned by Ballard no matter what.

Braden Smith was a panic pick after Hernandez was taken by the Giants

Turay and Lewis I'm not sure, but we must of gotten sniped somewhere.

Still, we reached for either need, out of panic, or because we got sniped on all 4 picks most likely and If I had a lie detector test on Ballard after the draft, he would probably admit to it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ColtsUrUs said:

Do you have a scouting team in your back pocket?  Do you do this professionally? Just because "YOU" don't know the player doesn't mean it's not a good pick. Sit back and let this man do "HIS" job and be a good "FAN".  Thanks in advance.

GMs miss all the time

• Like 1

Just now, ColtsUrUs said:

How can a GM "MISS" when no practice or games have been played? 

Grigson missed all the time. People who do their research on this know which players are likely to succeed, which fit our scheme, and how to extract value out of other teams to get lower ranked players that you don't have to grab early. For me, it's how early we took these guys. We could of grabbed them all almost a round later through trade downs, picked up extra picks this year or next year, and still got the same guys.

The players I like, but all in the 3rd round. Ballard goofed on the value of the picks. This comes from a professional poker player who extracts extra chips and money from people to help make a living. I know that a little extra multiple times goes a long way into succeeding in the long run.

The only pick to me that is a little puzzling is Turay. Was phenomenal early in his career at Rutgers then seemed to regress some. Probably shouldn't have drafted him in the 2nd. Tyquan Lewis is a great pick. Now tomorrow, we grab some dbs and wr and a rb. Great draft so far.

1 minute ago, Two_pound said:

The only pick to me that is a little puzzling is Turay. Was phenomenal early in his career at Rutgers then seemed to regress some. Probably shouldn't have drafted him in the 2nd. Tyquan Lewis is a great pick. Now tomorrow, we grab some dbs and wr and a rb. Great draft so far.

MTC said he regressed due to injury. He's a huge rutgers guy and I trust him on that, especially looking at his available stats. He also fits our scheme as a 4-3 DE, so he's a perfect fit. I'm loving the players, I just wish we traded down to acquire some extra picks before grabbing them.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Grigson missed all the time. People who do their research on this know which players are likely to succeed, which fit our scheme, and how to extract value out of other teams to get lower ranked players that you don't have to grab early. For me, it's how early we took these guys. We could of grabbed them all almost a round later through trade downs, picked up extra picks this year or next year, and still got the same guys.

The players I like, but all in the 3rd round. Ballard goofed on the value of the picks. This comes from a professional poker player who extracts extra chips and money from people to help make a living. I know that a little extra multiple times goes a long way into succeeding in the long run.

Doing research on the internet and having a scouting team that goes out to watch players all season are two totally different things. And like I said in the first. How can you compare Grigson to Ballard when Ballard picks in this draft haven't played?

1 minute ago, ColtsUrUs said:

Doing research on the internet and having a scouting team that goes out to watch players all season are two totally different things. And like I said in the first. How can you compare Grigson to Ballard when Ballard picks in this draft haven't played?

Your comment makes no sense. I like all 4 players. It's not about scouting them. It's about the value of where we took them. You have to extract value based on where other GMs value them, and Ballard didn't do so. That's my problem with the draft so far. The 4 players would be a fantastic draft if we had four 3rd round picks. They are all solid players that fit our scheme. We just didn't get proper value for them.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Your comment makes no sense. I like all 4 players. It's not about scouting them. It's about the value of where we took them. You have to extract value based on where other GMs value them, and Ballard didn't do so. That's my problem with the draft so far. The 4 players would be a fantastic draft if we had four 3rd round picks. They are all solid players that fit our scheme. We just didn't get proper value for them.

You stating other GMs. What other GM's value our 2nd round picks as picks that could've been made in the 3rd round? 

Just now, ColtsUrUs said:

You stating other GMs. What other GM's value our 2nd round picks as picks that could've been made in the 3rd round? 

I could make an estimate from 1-31, but we took them all first, so we were the earliest on them. We didn't have to trade down a round on them, but 6-8 picks and grab a 4th next year a few times before getting our guys would of been the best option. Nice loaded question, Ballard knows that answer though, so it's up to him to learn the other GM's needs and tendencies and trade to the right spot to squeeze as much value as possible before taking them. If you're taking a pick that is early, get value, otherwise, go BPA. This is GMing 101. Oh, and I've taken a semester in sports management, so I am somewhat qualified to judge Ballard. He just has a bunch of age and experience on me right now.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

nelson is the only pick ive really liked from ballard

im ok with smith, never heard of the two defenders we took 

There were a couple of DE's the Colts drafted a few years ago that no body had heard of before.   Perhaps you have heard of them now - Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.  Just saying that the knowledge to assess young talent is not possessed by simple forum posters such as we.  I trust our scouts and GM.

• Thanks 1

Let me say this. People have different ideas because they think from different perspectives. Tbh I am confused about some options of Ballard too. But I also believe two things. First, I am confused because I think about things from my perspective. From Ballard's perspective, he should not be confused; otherwise, he would not make those options. Second, I truly believe that Ballard's perspective is better than mine... the information he got, the analysis he had, etc.

2 minutes ago, JustAColtsFan said:

There were a couple of DE's the Colts drafted a few years ago that no body had heard of before.   Perhaps you have heard of them now - Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.  Just saying that the knowledge to assess young talent is not possessed by simple forum posters such as we.  I trust our scouts and GM.

freeney was well known when he got here, but mathis was an even bigger under dog than these guys

im warming up to leonard somewhat, still not sure about the DEs.  hopefully they pan out 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JustAColtsFan said:

Freeney was a top prospect

31 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

I'll say this one time. It all starts in the trenches. You can have great corners/running backs etc.etc.etc. but with no big uglys they'll look average.

This. So much this. You lose in the trenches, then it doesn’t matter how great the rest of the team is. The Eagles have shown this. The Broncos have shown this. It’s literally the way to defeat the Patriots. It’s how you beat any NFL team. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

This. So much this. You lose in the trenches, then it doesn’t matter how great the rest of the team is. The Eagles have shown this. The Broncos have shown this. It’s literally the way to defeat the Patriots. It’s how you beat any NFL team. 

I still think back to that Superbowl when the undefeated Patriots and Brady getting sacked like crazy against the likes of Michael Strahan. It was glorious. There's a saying that "offenses create and defenses destroy," and when you're in the Superbowl with nerves weighing everyone down, it's a heckuva lot easier to destroy.

• Like 1

I'd say time to back off of Ballard, he has his fingers the very closest to the pulse of the team, how it's constructed, how it was de-constructed, and what weaknesses need to be filled.  In fact, I'd say he has an EKG connected.  With Reich a close 2nd. IBWT

Edit: after listening to ballard's presser after the 2nd round picks, it sounds like they drafted Braden Smith only for depth...did not have him pegged as a starter right away, interesting to say the least.  I would say that's a little mysterious but I keep telling myself the above first paragraph.  I would like to think the Jet's trade was purposeful.  But I'm always going to wonder, what if with Chubb.

• Like 1

Braden Smith started 41 SEC games has played both G spots and RT He makes the line better competes for a starting spot immediately. Good pick

Davis the ILB many wanted including myself hope we add Avery too Good pick starter

Then we take DE Lewis from OSU and Turay who would be better known if he played somewhere beside Rutgers. 

We added a RB and CB's last year CB may still think those guys can play 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yes , you have to be able to quickly compute value if you play poker in a serious way nowadays .My son has done nothing else for the past 17-18 years. He studies constantly in order to compete. My question to you would be where did you get the knowledge to know where other GM's had Ballard's picks on their draft boards ? Do you have access to a few team's scouting reports or draft boards ? Or are you maybe going by the various draft "experts" we all read ? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Now are you saying this cause you don’t know these players and they’re not “big names” or you legit feel this way?

The fact is nobody knows how these guys will pan out. But you got to give them three years before a judgment day. I hate it when these pundits say this team won the draft this team lost the draft because it takes three years to come up with a real accurate conclusion by then nobody cares.  

3 hours ago, threeflight said:

Well....I hate to be called a naysayer but I have so far seen last years draft and 3 picks of the 2018 draft, and if I am being honest, nothing blows me a way.

Last year we still have a few years to evaluate, but I don't know...average at best??

This year, we have Nelson draft first.  Solid pick.  Good pick.  Could it have been something more based on what they started with and the ability to trade down more because of the run on QBs?

Probably.

The next 2 picks........I don't know.  Not saying they are not solid players, but at the stage in which they were drafted?  Both seem like reaches.  You had some true studs left on the board.  Studs that could have turned out, maybe not turned out.  But they would not have been reaches and they could have excited the fan base.  

It just feels as if Ballard is always going conservative.  I am a big believer that almost all sports teams are basically equal when it comes to 80% of the roster.  It is the other 20% made up of STARS that truly make a difference.  And I don't feel we have any...other than Luck if he comes back and maybe Hilton.  

Not impressed so far.

I don't think you understand football.  You keep mentioning stuff like "star power" and making the fans excited.   That is not what you want a GM to worry about.  

We will have a much better O line next season.  We will run for more yards and we will have a better passing game.  

7 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Yes , you have to be able to quickly compute value if you play poker in a serious way nowadays .My son has done nothing else for the past 17-18 years. He studies constantly in order to compete. My question to you would be where did you get the knowledge to know where other GM's had Ballard's picks on their draft boards ? Do you have access to a few team's scouting reports or draft boards ? Or are you maybe going by the various draft "experts" we all read ? 

I don't have access to draft boards obviously, but I do study things like schemes and needs, GM preference, and some other factors that can tell me with some accuracy how well players fall. I will be wrong a lot, but usually I'm within the ballpark. In this case, trading down 6-8 spots on our DE's probably would of been fine and picked up a 4th and 5th next year between them. I will admit now that Braden Smith wouldn't of fell. Ballard took him at the correct spot and I was off. Leonard I can't determine.