Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I have seen 1.5 Ballard Drafts..color me not impressed

threeflight

Well....I hate to be called a naysayer but I have so far seen last years draft and 3 picks of the 2018 draft, and if I am being honest, nothing blows me a way.

Last year we still have a few years to evaluate, but I don't know...average at best??

This year, we have Nelson draft first.  Solid pick.  Good pick.  Could it have been something more based on what they started with and the ability to trade down more because of the run on QBs?

Probably.

The next 2 picks........I don't know.  Not saying they are not solid players, but at the stage in which they were drafted?  Both seem like reaches.  You had some true studs left on the board.  Studs that could have turned out, maybe not turned out.  But they would not have been reaches and they could have excited the fan base.  

It just feels as if Ballard is always going conservative.  I am a big believer that almost all sports teams are basically equal when it comes to 80% of the roster.  It is the other 20% made up of STARS that truly make a difference.  And I don't feel we have any...other than Luck if he comes back and maybe Hilton.  

Not impressed so far.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Well....I hate to be called a naysayer but I have so far seen last years draft and 3 picks of the 2018 draft, and if I am being honest, nothing blows me a way.

Last year we still have a few years to evaluate, but I don't know...average at best??

This year, we have Nelson draft first.  Solid pick.  Good pick.  Could it have been something more based on what they started with and the ability to trade down more because of the run on QBs?

Probably.

The next 2 picks........I don't know.  Not saying they are not solid players, but at the stage in which they were drafted?  Both seem like reaches.  You had some true studs left on the board.  Studs that could have turned out, maybe not turned out.  But they would not have been reaches and they could have excited the fan base.  

It just feels as if Ballard is always going conservative.  I am a big believer that almost all sports teams are basically equal when it comes to 80% of the roster.  It is the other 20% made up of STARS that truly make a difference.  And I don't feel we have any...other than Luck if he comes back and maybe Hilton.  

Not impressed so far.

Please give me your extended knowledge of the players selected vs the players you wanted to be selected

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Probably.

Not impressed so far.

On whose board? Yours? Where are you getting your info? ESPN? Lol! Time will tell, but Ballard just landed two solid starters for this team at positions of great need. Obviously he thinks this team needed it on the offensive line, and Frank Reich had a great deal to say about that as well... How can you not be excited to see running lanes and Andrew Luck with time to throw the football? 

This is a multi-year rebuild, and unfortunately, many continue to forget this. These guys were likely at the top of the board for Chris Ballard. 

7 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Probably.

Not impressed so far.

Now are you saying this cause you don’t know these players and they’re not “big names” or you legit feel this way?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Smonroe said:

Everyone has a right to their opinion.  Some have the opinion the world is flat.  

I think its a square.  :)

Look......to me Josh Jackson and Ronald Jones could have been two players that would have been not only highly rated, players of need, but they also have that star factor.

I just think that the players that were drafted in the second could have been gotten later on.  That is called a reach.

I feel the same about most of Ballards FA signings.  He just seems to be to be very conservative and he thinks he is smarter than he really is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shepman said:

I am all about opinions.  My opinion is that a room full of scouts that have studied 100s of hours can put together a board better than average Joe.

I hope its not the same roomful of coaches and scouts that came up with last years draft gems. I just have my doubts about this group. Not because they shy away from more familiar names but from just the production on the field. Maybe this class will be different.

Look......to me Josh Jackson and Ronald Jones could have been two players that would have been not only highly rated, players of need, but they also have that star factor.

I just think that the players that were drafted in the second could have been gotten later on.  That is called a reach.

I feel the same about most of Ballards FA signings.  He just seems to be to be very conservative and he thinks he is smarter than he really is.

You have absolutely zero knowledge to suggest both players would be available later. Jones and Jackson also have flaws. Clearly, Ballard wanted Leonard and Smith more. Both picks were submitted extremely quickly which suggests CB got exactly what he wanted.

2 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Can’t please everybody I guess, but I love the picks. 

I will say this though.. judging a draft when a player hasn’t played a snap and you are still in round 2 is ludicrous. 

Well, it's just my opinion.

I feel Ballard keeps reaching.  And in the position that the Colts were in, there is absolutely no need to reach.

Its moot until it’s on the field.  I may have gone with others, but I haven’t done hundreds of hours of study and don’t have personal insight into our team’s health and needs.  

I do see two great football players in positions of need.  My opinion.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheNextGM said:

You have absolutely zero knowledge to suggest both players would be available later. Jones and Jackson also have flaws. Clearly, Ballard wanted Leonard and Smith more. Both picks were submitted extremely quickly which suggests CB got exactly what he wanted.

To me Jackson was a no brainer.  Add him to our secondary and we all of a sudden have a HUGE strength.

Jones imo would have been electrifying paired with Luck.  

19 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Probably.

Not impressed so far.

:violin:

• Like 1

Just now, IndySouthsider said:

I watched Eliijah Sindelar have his way with Josh Jackson.

Any player can have a bad game or play.

Is he Bob Sanders?  No.  But he didn't need to be.

I get we needed a LB.  I get that adding to our OL can't hurt.

I just think both picks were reaches.

23 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Probably.

Not impressed so far.

He hasnt selected every player I liked but I think he did good putting two all american olinemen plus getting a nice lb

4 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Hey guys. We picked all positions of need that are immediate upgrades. 

I’m not happy. 

Lol...

Fan 1 - I really hate how the Colts played in their first game this season. 

Fan 2 - What the heck do you mean? They haven't played yet

Fan 1 - Well, I've seen enough of the team last year to know how they are going to play. I see the future.

...essentially, an argument based on emotion and without fact. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Any player can have a bad game or play.

Is he Bob Sanders?  No.  But he didn't need to be.

I get we needed a LB.  I get that adding to our OL can't hurt.

I just think both picks were reaches.

He’s not a game changer. 2 stat kid who had one big game in the upset of OSU

18 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Well, it's just my opinion.

I feel Ballard keeps reaching.  And in the position that the Colts were in, there is absolutely no need to reach.

If you're so good at evaluating players, why don't you get a job as an NFL GM.  The pay is excellent I hear.

43 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Probably.

Not impressed so far.

Ballard is picking up guy he and scouts think will help this team now and in the future he isn't going to lose any sleep if we are not impressed with him I think for one this draft is so far better than last years.

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Ballard is picking up guy he and scouts think will help this team now and in the future he isn't going to lose any sleep if we are not impressed with him I think for one this draft is so far better than last years.

How is this different than any other GM?

48 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Probably.

Not impressed so far.

I guess you get paid a crap ton of money to go scout and watch these guys.