Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For those who hate the Nelson pick... Kravitz article makes interesting reading

csmopar

https://www.wthr.com/article/kravitz-colts-draftee-nelson-gives-indy-an-interior-building-block-for-its-porous-offensive

"You wanted splash. You wanted flash. You wanted a game-breaker, or at least somebody who plays a position that keeps opposing coaches up late on Monday and Tuesday nights. You wanted Saquon Barkley or Bradley Chubb, and if the Colts had remained at No. 3 rather than trading back and getting a second-round haul from the New York Jets, they could have selected the North Carolina State edge rusher.

So maybe, just maybe, you’re a bit disappointed, or perhaps underwhelmed, at the Colts’ decision to take Notre Dame guard Quenton Nelson with the No. 6 selection in Thursday’s NFL Draft.

Don’t be. Don’t be disappointed. Don’t be underwhelmed. Just because Nelson doesn’t play a sexy position doesn’t mean he can’t be a foundational player around whom the Colts can build their perpetually porous offensive line. How long have we been screaming for this organization to build a wall – sorry, Mr. President – to protect the $140 million quarterback? How much abuse do Andrew Luck and Jacoby Brissett have to take before something significant is done?

All of a sudden, the Colts’ offensive line has a pedigree, if not a body of work that makes you take notice. Anthony Castonzo, a first-round pick. Ryan Kelly, a first-round pick. Jack Mewhort (if he can stay healthy), a second-round pick. Nelson, not only a first-round pick, but a HIGH first-round pick, getting selected in a spot where interior offensive linemen rarely land.

But general manager Chris Ballard and head coach Frank Reich believe he’s a plug-and-play guy, a long-term rock of excellence in the middle of the offensive line, somebody who has a chance to play in multiple Pro Bowls.

“I think we see now the importance of the entire O-line, not just tackles," Ballard said. “You can see it in the way they’re being paid. The last few years, they’re making upwards of tackle money. We saw a couple of guards here this year, one in the $13 million range and the other in the $11.5 million range. So I think people are realizing… offensive linemen in general are hard to find. Big men are hard to find, so we are seeing more of a premium put on them. Protecting the quarterback is important."

In doing some research on Nelson, I fell across this quote from former Washington and Houston general manager and current NFL Network analyst Charlie Casserly, who called Nelson “the best offensive lineman to enter the Draft since 2000."

Here is what Athlon, one of the 10,000 draft guides, wrote about Nelson before the draft:

“The most dominant offensive lineman in college football last season, Nelson is one of the best interior linemen to come into the NFL in years. He explodes off the line of scrimmage and overwhelms defenders in a phone booth with the exceedingly strong hands to manhandle defenders. Equally effective moving to the second level, he is a balanced and coordinated athlete who hits his targets, locks on and drives them into the ground. He’s a mover who can pull as an outstanding lead blocker. As a pass protector, he has the light feet to mirror against quickness and the heavy anchor to stonewall power rushers.

“…He is scheme-diverse and has the potential to be an All-Pro player the minute he steps onto an NFL field."

Guards don’t jump out of your TV like an electric running back, a gun-slinger quarterback or a balletic wide receiver, but they are essential building blocks. Think David DeCastro. Or Kyle Long. Zach Martin. Two-time Pro Bowler Brandon Scherff, who Washington selected with the fifth pick in 2015.

By now, it’s probably not necessary to state the obvious, but here goes anyway: Since Luck entered the league in 2012, the offensive line has stunk. I mean, noxious. The Colts have tried to build one; former general manager Ryan Grigson drafted Kelly, Khaled Holmes and others and went hard and heavy after free agents like Gosder Cherilus and Donald Thomas, both of whom were waylaid by injuries. It just didn’t work out, and it left Luck (and his backups) spending most of their Sundays running for their lives. The Colts have routinely landed near the bottom of the league in quarterback hits allowed, sacks allowed and every other area that screams, “Run for your life.’’ For years, the middle of the Colts’ offensive line has been found wanting when opponents brought blitzes up the middle.

And the running game? Don’t ask. Granted, it’s not like Indy has had running backs like Ezekiel Elliott or Saquon Barkley (who is going to take the NFL by storm, by the way), but it was routine for running backs to get hit just a step or two after they took the handoff. Jim Brown and Barry Sanders wouldn’t have been productive behind that group.

Nelson, who is a condominium complex on legs, figures to provide the Colts with the kind of anchor they so desperately need, and have needed, for years.

With Nelson, it wasn’t just what Ballard saw at his Pro Day, it’s what he felt.

“Oh, you could feel him,’’ he said. “So I could feel when I watched Adrian Peterson work out. I’ll never forget standing on the sideline and him running by me. I don’t know if you’ve ever experienced that with a player, but I could feel Adrian. Same thing with Dez Bryant. When Dez Bryant was at Oklahoma State, I’ll never forget the kid running by me and I could feel it. You can feel Quenton Nelson the same way."

Yes, they could have grabbed Chubb had they stayed at No. 3 and not dealt that pick to the New York Jets. But the move made sense for this draft given the depth and talent in the second and third rounds. The Colts have five picks in the first 67 selections, which, if they’ve done a good job scouting and drafting, figure to help them establish a talent foundation for years to come.

All they’ve got to do is get it right, or at least mostly right, because this is a massively important draft for the Colts as they change directions and attempt to rebuild.

Not sexy, necessarily, but smart. Really smart.

Want more Kravitz? Subscribe to The Bob Kravitz Podcast on iTunes,Google Play, Stitcher or TuneIn. If you have a good story idea that's worth writing, feel free to send it to bkravitz@wthr.com."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, colts2dasuperbowl said:

i was more upset with broncos(elway) taking away bradley chubb, but i like the nelson pick. i am more excited about day 2 draft. i think we can land joshua jackson, whom i really really like, and rb or olb/wr, i prefer nick chubb, landry or sutton

yep, as i said last night, the anticipation for round 2 is like waiting for your date's prom dress to come off after the main dance is over... :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, colts2dasuperbowl said:

i wish landry will fall to us but giants need a pass rusher and brown can also take a pass rusher as well...

Landry is falling for some reason and I don't know why.  So i'm ok if we miss out on him

21 minutes ago, csmopar said:

yep, as i said last night, the anticipation for round 2 is like waiting for your date's prom dress to come off after the main dance is over... :lol:

My prom date actually had a bee or wasp fly under her dress and she didn't realize it. We get to prom and she pulls up her dress and this thing must have stung her numerous times. She looked like she had chicken pox... 

True story. I didn't get lucky.. lol

3 minutes ago, Trueman said:

That was a solid read, thanks.

I absolutely love this pick. Nelson is not a selection previous regimes would’ve made.

Ballard has shown me he isn’t copying the Polian philosophy - and I love it.

I was actually listening on ESPN radio last night, and Polian was on the coverage. It got to us and we picked pretty quickly. As the Commissioner was coming to the podium he quickly threw in something about expecting it to be Roquan Smith. He said is so assuredly, it was almost like he knew something. 

When they hey announced Nelson he exclaimed in surprise. He had good things to say, though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes yes yes.  Kravitz has a vested interest in Ballard succeeding because he had a hugely vested interest in the bully RG failing.  Kravitz has always been a spinmaster, at least tries to be.

why are you investing in defending grigson?  guy is gone and out of the league

grigson won games because luck carried the team.  he didnt get much else right 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

I was actually listening on ESPN radio last night, and Polian was on the coverage. It got to us and we picked pretty quickly. As the Commissioner was coming to the podium he quickly threw in something about expecting it to be Roquan Smith. He said is so assuredly, it was almost like he knew something. 

When they hey announced Nelson he exclaimed in surprise. He had good things to say, though. 

Ballard said they had 4 premium players. He acknowledged Barkley and Chubb together with Nelson. He never mentioned the fourth player, but most assume that was Smith. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IinD said:

My prom date actually had a bee or wasp fly under her dress and she didn't realize it. We get to prom and she pulls up her dress and this thing must have stung her numerous times. She looked like she had chicken pox... 

True story. I didn't get lucky.. lol

Lmao

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes yes yes.  Kravitz has a vested interest in Ballard succeeding because he had a hugely vested interest in the bully RG failing.  Kravitz has always been a spinmaster, at least tries to be.

Is that the same with nearly all other in the football world giving the Nelson choice an "A"?

14 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Yeah, who cares about Grigson now or even then he was terrible. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

I'm not. 

I'm saying years later people still have their vested interests.  Kravitz always has a publicly visible vested interest in seeing bullys fail.  Its a puff piece that fails to mention the Colts were the slowest team in the league from snap to QB release.  It fails to mention that Luck often scrambled as we got closer to the goal line because he can't throw a fade pattern very well.  It fails to mention that investing in viable "wow" positions, like a WR who can actually get open, helps to get the ball out quicker.

Its a puff piece for those liking the Nelson pick and look for support from the internet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

If we don't get Landry I'll take another O-lineman build the monster. 

The way our Olinemen go down throughout the season, I won’t be upset if they take another one tonight. 

Protect the francise.  Job 1.  Why was that so hard to figure out all these years?  

• Thanks 2

Csmopar for those who wanted an impact player we got one. I would’ve been happy with a defensive player as well. However we got one of the top 3 players. So for those who aren’t happy with the pick you’ll change your mind once our RB’s hit a huge run for a TD next season. Ballard picked the best player on his board. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm not. 

I'm saying years later people still have their vested interests.  Kravitz always has a publicly visible vested interest in seeing bullys fail.  Its a puff piece that fails to mention the Colts were the slowest team in the league from snap to QB release.  It fails to mention that Luck often scrambled as we got closer to the goal line because he can't throw a fade pattern very well.  It fails to mention that investing in viable "wow" positions, like a WR who can actually get open, helps to get the ball out quicker.

Its a puff piece for those liking the Nelson pick and look for support from the internet.

He scrambled because he can’t throw a fade? 

It had nothing to do with the fact that teams didn’t respect our running game at all because our line got dominated....no of course not. 

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

Is that the same with nearly all other in the football world giving the Nelson choice an "A"?

Did they compare the pick with the alternative of accepting a trade down?  If not, the grade is the result drive-by analysis.

BTW, are these the same people who said before the draft that someone should take him top 5?  Go figure they now give the team who actually did that an A.

Sounds like a big echo chamber to me.

So I'll bow out of the thread and let everybody congratulate each other and then say hallelujah!

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Did they compare the pick with the alternative of accepting a trade down?  If not, the grade is the result drive-by analysis.

BTW, are these the same people who said before the draft that someone should take him top 5?  Go figure they now give the team who actually did that an A.

So I'll bow out of the thread and let everybody congratulate each other and then say hallelujah!

Trading down to 6 made sense because at the time, it was thought that 3 of the top 5 would be QB.  So a good chance at Nelson still being there.   Denver was the only wild card.   When they took Chubb, the Colts were left with what the Colts needed most.   The head and shoulders best O-lineman in the draft.  

6 minutes ago, Trueman said:

He scrambled because he can’t throw a fade? 

It had nothing to do with the fact that teams didn’t respect our running game at all because our line got dominated....no of course not. 

Well, it does limit your options.

Manning never had a good run blocking line, yet didn't take as much punishment.  He made sure he got rid of the ball and he had 4 players at "wow" positions to do so because they were open quickly.

In fact our run blocking oline was so bad BB told his defense to simply ignore the run and focus on the pass.  And yet, Manning never came close to leading the league in sacks.

Before I go. 

It would be interesting to see how Hugh Thornton, Kahlid Holmes, Jerrmy Vujnovich, Jack Mewhort, and Joe Haeg, would have performed in the Manning/Moore offense that had viable pass catchers.

It would be nice if a "knowledgeable" football commentator like Kravitz would do an objective analysis on that.  

I love the player, Nelson I think will be great. I'm okay with the pick, don't like taking a guard at #6, and was hoping for a trade down. Also disappointed that Chubb went just ahead of us, but that's the draft.

As for this article, and all the similar points of view -- they miss the bigger issue, IMO. The Colts obviously need better players at OL, and I'm glad they're doing something about that. But the change in coaching is going to be far more important for protecting the QB. The truth is you don't have to have All Pro blockers to keep the QB clean.

That being the case, defending this pick strictly in the name of keeping Luck upright misses the mark.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Manning never had a good run blocking line, yet didn't take as much punishment.  He made sure he got rid of the ball and he had 4 players at "wow" positions to do so because they were open quickly.

In fact our run blocking oline was so bad BB told his defense to simply ignore the run and focus on the pass.  And yet, Manning never came close to leading the league in sacks.

Your argument for wanting more picks by trading back, rather than selecting a guard at #6 is a sound argument. I personally like the pick, but I can certainly understand your point.

Your argument against Luck is also understandable but one-sided.

1. You want analysts grading the Q. Nelson selection to consider the opportunity costs of the selection, however, when comparing Luck to Manning, you do not take into account the style of offenses the QBs have been asked to play in, and unfairly criticize Luck.

2. You are comparing Luck to arguably the best QB to ever play (Manning). Of course Luck will not match up, especially not while playing in this style of offense. 

3. I think adding a RB and a receiver are much needed for Luck and the Colts to succeed, but there were no available RB's or Rec's that were as good at their position as Q. Nelson is at his. The pick makes sense, it's just that you feel it's not worth the opportunity cost.

4. We have gone through a number of backup QBs that have also been hurt behind the porous O-line that Luck played behind, and in the same system. It's clearly not a "Luck" issue. The new offense will be much welcomed.

Some people are saying that a Top 10 pick is for a difference maker like Quaterbacks and not a guard. A QB isn't going to make a difference if he is constantly on the ground guys. A pass rusher isn't going to make a difference if he runs out of gas because the offense can't stay on the field for much long...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I’ll give you that the o line may not have been great st run blocking, it’s hard to say sometimes when you have Edge and then Addai/Rhodes and kept defenses honest. We had a superb pass blocking line. 

What weve had with Luck is neither. Luck can’t expect to get rid of the ball quickly when the line is crashing around him. If you do you get picks, something Luck had plenty of his first few years. As he learned to not force a pass and let a play develop, he did that with the line still being garbage and thus, sacks and hits.

You can knock the pick all you like but what Kravitz said is true. Guards are starting to command more money/value. The game is changing from what it was twenty years ago. Luck is the lynchpin that this team is built around. We should protect him as much as possible.

• Thanks 1

I am very happy with the pick. Talking about a dynamic player, how about the 100+million dollar dynamic player that didn't play last year because of poor line blocking. With this pick we get a great lineman and are able to use the dynamic player we have now. The game is WON in the trenches. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

As for this article, and all the similar points of view -- they miss the bigger issue, IMO. The Colts obviously need better players at OL, and I'm glad they're doing something about that. But the change in coaching is going to be far more important for protecting the QB. The truth is you don't have to have All Pro blockers to keep the QB clean.

Agree with this. Nate Dunlevy was getting hounded on twitter for saying this, although he did come off as really bitter about the pick, but he did make a lot of good points about our scheme change being more important than having All Pro linemen.

I'm happy to have Nelson but yeah, taking a G at #6 does sit kind of oddly with me even though I am really glad to have him. And I was fine with not trading back especially since I didn't like what the Bucs got in return for the 7th (although I would've been happy with Roq at #6 too).

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

you realize that Kravtiz actually defended Grigson for a long while before he started blasting him right?

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

What are you even talking about? No one was defending Grigson.

43 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So, if they had no trade down options, who's your "wow" player at #6

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

My friend and I were watching this and we have seen 24 drafts together and when Chubb went off the board of Denver not a word was said we both knew it was going to be Nelson

I knew it was going to be Nelson too when the Colts didn't take much time at all getting to the podium. It would have surprised me had they took someone else.

I too was disappointed when the Bronco's took Chubb but was relieved when I heard Nelson's name called.

What folks are missing is a good OL guy can demand more from the others without saying much and leading by example. Yes, an OL unit is as good as the weakest link but the weakest link would realize soon he has to step up or be left out if the others are performing better.

• Thanks 1