Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

6th overall pick Indianapolis Colts select Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame

TKnight24

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

A good offensive line helps more areas than any other spot.  This is a fantastic pick.

A great defensive prospect that can make int’s, sack the QB, and cover multiple positions on passing downs is far more valuable than a guard. We had our chance to draft a blue chip defensive LB and we passed on him. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nelson will help improve our whole Line in reality. That is what some people aren't getting.

Yeah, I think he pretty much automatically makes our left side good/very good, if Kelly stays healthy (and even then, I like Bond a lot). I like Slauson/Mewhort on the right side for the year, and Haeg/Good are capable, but I won't be mad if we double dip on OL at some point. Especially if one of these potential 1st rounders drops.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Colts fans during the season  - “We need to address the Oline and protect Luck!”

Colts fans after our pick “I don’t like this pick! I wanted defense!”

Never happy. Be glad we got the best Oline player in the draft and fixed an immediate position of need for our QB. 

So true. It's like the oline will somehow magically get better with UDFA's and 7th rd picks. 

Also I'd like to add to your colts fans impression. 

Winning the last game cost us,  we could've gotten pick #2... then we're ok dropping to 6, then we're okay potentially dropping into the 20's after losing it by dropping from #2 to #3... lol. 

• Like 3

I love love love our Nelson pick.

For folks saying stuff like "we shouldn't have taken a guard. there was better valuer elsewhere", I need to strongly disagree.

There was no worthy pass rusher.

Smith and Edmunds are playing LB spots that are not edge rushing LBs.

Guys like that never go at pick 6 just like Guards don't go at 6.

Last Guard in this range was Jonathan Cooper a few years back at 7.

Non rush LBs typically go around 10 or so. Aaron Curry is the only top-5 one I can think of.

Guys like Kuechly and Willis and such went around 9-11 or so.

Smith went at 8. Edmunds hung around till what? 16.

Many on this forum debated Smith vs Edmunds with most wanting Edmunds more (I preferred Smith for what it is worth).

I think taking Nelson over Smith was the right move, but taking an OG or a WLB there isn't the typical value spots you go with pick 6. I think both would have met with criticism from a bunch of our fan base. Can't please everyone i guess.

This mini run on interior OL going on at the bottom of the 1st is already thinning options. Hernandez and Wynn are there but it could dry up quickly.

I get people being upset about taking an OL and not a sexy spot but between Nelson and Smith I would pick Nelson over and over personally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

Connor Williams could potentially be one of the 2nd round picks tommo or Kolton Miller I don't think trading up is needed as there is no more sure things and Indy now needs all these extra 2nd rnd picks and using one of them to draft another OL is possible but using 2 trade up for an OL not happening.

There has been quite a run on interior linemen and there are still 10 picks before we have a chance to choose again. 

This pick is so underwhelming that I stopped following the whole draft. I just check the list when they are done. 

This guy, as impressive and good as he is, he is is not going to make any difference for Colts being a winning team. 

I’m very low on Ballard right now, and after the bad judgement he showed with McDaniels debacle, picking a guard at #6 can only make things worse.

1 minute ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

This pick is so underwhelming that I stopped following the whole draft. I just check the list when they are done. 

This guy, as impressive and good as he is, he is is not going to make any difference for Colts being a winning team. 

I’m very low on Ballard right now, and after the bad judgement he showed with McDaniels debacle, picking a guard at #6 can only make things worse.

So who do you pick? Just curious 

How does the judgement show "bad" on Ballard for what Mcdufus did? I think we came out pretty good with both options. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Too bad it wasn't underwhelming enough for you to stop posting.

Best O-Lineman in the draft to protect Luck... What else did you want at the 6th pick?

3 minutes ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Damn. 

Here's the upshot (check me out..). I'm pretty confident we dogged picking up a high potential, low out put kind of guy that more than a few first round guys turn into. We got a guy who's going to play. That does count. Beyond that, I do agree. At 6, a Guard just doesn't turn things around as much as you and I would like.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Ragnow, Price, Wynn now all off the board. We should be glad we grabbed the top OL while we could. I could see the Giants grabbing Hernandez right before our 2nd pick tomorrow too.

I felt there would be a run on lineman towards the end of the first.  If we have a player that is on top of our big board we should try to trade a 2nd and maybe a 4th or 5th to get them.  There are a lot of WRs and RBs still available so they may just see how it plays out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Being a fan of a team is great and fun and supposed to be that way. However when you let something as little as not getting the guy you wanted effect the outcome of the rest of your day is kinda pathetic. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Meh, you're supposed to take a difference maker at 6, not a Guard. The amount of draft capital in the o-line is now absurd and people are still saying "at least now they're going to protect Luck".. Yawn. We've thrown high picks at this problem before. 

I would have been happier with some D.

A "once in a generation" G is a difference maker. Some draft people even say he's the best value in draft. This is not just another O lineman. Totally psyched about this pick. Have you payed attention what a difference drafting stud O linemen did for the Cowboys?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, strt182 said:

Being a fan of a team is great and fun and supposed to be that way. However when you let something as little as not getting the guy you wanted effect the outcome of the rest of your day is kinda pathetic. 

He just said he stopped following the draft, when did he say it ruined his day? He is probably being fed grapes, and being massaged in a great big palace by beautiful women for all you know lol. It was underwhelming; it's not like that guard is going to make a huge impact. 

12 minutes ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

He is actually going to make a huge diffence for the Colts in terms of being a winning team. His quality amd attitude will make our line elite, which is everything in today's NFL.

Ballard made the perfect pick.

1 hour ago, JColts72 said:

Helps to have a stud rb which we have not had since James.

Of course it would be great to have a stud RB.

But without a solid OL, a stud RB is not going to perform like a stud.  With a solid OL, even a merely decent RB can be sufficiently effective.

Denver had fantastic OLs during Elway’s later years.  For one thing, that allowed Elway the time to maximize his talents.  For another, they always had a great ground game in that era....whether it was Terrell Davis or just about anybody else.

And they won two SBs because of it.

2 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

He just said he stopped following the draft, when did he say it ruined his day? He is probably being fed grapes, and being massaged in a great big palace by beautiful women for all you know lol. It was underwhelming; it's not like that guard is going to make a huge impact. 

When did I say it "ruined" his day?  He said that because of the pick he stopped watching the draft. Cause and Effect stated.. All i did is say he let it EFFECT his plans of watching the entire draft, that is if that was his intentions in the beginning.

4 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Lol, thanks for you support, man. I really didn’t mean to rain on anybody’s parade. And you are correct, it didn’t ruin my day, I just lost interest. I can’t stand how other teams pick players that can make a difference (good linebackers, pass rushers, wide receivers, DBs) while the Colts picked a future Pro Bowl guard that won’t make any difference between them winning and losing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, presto123 said:

A "once in a generation" G is a difference maker. Some draft people even say he's the best value in draft. This is not just another O lineman. Totally psyched about this pick. Have you payed attention what a difference drafting stud O linemen did for the Cowboys?

I hope he's that good, I assume he is, I keep getting told that he's the guy.

I've explained what I think in subsequent posts. Fine pick, just not a position that hardly ever justifies a 6th pick, probably for a good reason. Guards who can play shouldn't be impossible to find elsewhere in the draft is a part of my hang up here. I think the Titans beat writers tweet about the Titans wanting the Colts to take Nelson, because he couldn't hurt their QB kind of speaks volumes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Lol, thanks for you support, man. I really didn’t mean to rain on anybody’s parade. And you are correct, it didn’t ruin my day, I just lost interest. I can’t stand how other teams pick players that can make a difference (good linebackers, pass rushers, wide receivers, DBs) while the Colts picked a future Pro Bowl guard that won’t make any difference between them winning and losing.

You build from the inside out to make a winner. How does that not make difference?