Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

6th overall pick Indianapolis Colts select Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame

TKnight24

I trust it. I'd have liked a sexy defensive stud or Barkley or Chubb if they fell; but hey, FINALLY Andrew will be able to step up in the pocket again. This WILL win us games. that's the bottom line.

Now I'm going to watch videos of this kid pancaking everyone he played against !!!! :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Now I’m not doubting the middle of our line. It’s those outside spots we need to worry about 

Costanzo had a pretty damn good year last year. The Costanzo/Nelson/Kelly is really, really good. Question is the right side of the line. Hopefully Mewhort can get healthy, and we can let Goode/Clark battle for RT.

• Like 1

Roquan Smith will be the best linebacker in the NFL within 3 yrs!  Would have loved to have had him here.  Nelson is going to he a really good player, but with the Colts luck lately drafting OL, Colts will be lucky to get 8 games out of him this year before someone rolls up on the back of his leg and tears up his knee. 

I love it! Nelson is top 3 talent in this years draft, a blue chip player, and fills a huge need. Colts did nothing to improve the line in free agency so Nelson was almost a must. Mewhort is injury prone and Slauson is an average aging veteran so Nelson gives us a future Pro Bowler at low cost for 5 years and protecting Luck is priority nr. 1

2 minutes ago, fatboy said:

People say Guards are not worth a #6 pick.  Well Free Agency told us OGs can command $15mm/yr.  that tells you there is a premium on the OG position.  I’m good with the best lineman in the draft being a Colt.

Now, now... Let's not get logical. 

Nelson is the pick we needed! Love it. 

• Like 1

I'm starting to like this pick more and more because IMO we can't completely trust Mewhort or Kelly for that matter to stay healthy long term. I know we all love him but I really wouldn't be surprised if Kelly ends up either retiring early if he picks up another concussion or two, or at the very least misses extended time again. Which is why if we do go offense again, I hope it's to double dip on the OL.

4 minutes ago, fatboy said:

People say Guards are not worth a #6 pick.  Well Free Agency told us OGs can command $15mm/yr.  that tells you there is a premium on the OG position.  I’m good with the best lineman in the draft being a Colt.

This is a NEW nfl & the rush up the middle is the NEW way to the QB.  Mehort/Kelly/Nelson says NO MORE hitting our QB!  Think about this, we traded down & gained 3 extra 2nd rd picks to ONLY get the BEST pick for LUCK!  Kelly/Nelson will be a HOUSEHOLD name!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

You can shake your head. Kelly and Mewhort were hurt large chunks of the year and there were other injuries. 

I agree with your feeling on the draft. These guys shaking their heads did not watch the games. 

Kelly, Mewhort, ...heck, the ENTIRE ability & gameplan of the team was irreversibly damaged by retaining Rob Chudzinsky's "flexible & attacking" offense. You can't expect your linemen to block for hours on end while the QB waits for routes to develop. You can't expect your defense to be top notch if it has to go out there every 5 minutes because we CONSISTENTLY get into 2 & 18's and 3rd & 11's . The biggest mistake this team made was retaining Chud and I believe he has ruined Andrew's future viability. I hate it when people criticize the O-Line and the Defense. We have and had some really quality assets but we ruined them with inefficient usage/overusage.

If Chris Ballard really wanted to start fresh, with a NUMBER 6 pick mind you, getting coach Reich was one thing but he really should have drafted Josh Rosen. You won't win by drafting a whole bunch of "quality 2nd & 3rd round picks" - you need a focused and purposeful gameplan/executor that can get first downs and keep the defense rested. That's where getting a difference maker is so important, not just in the player but someone who can actually create a working game plan.

I like the direction the team is heading but we will regret not drafting Rosen.

And to think, the Jets got our 3rd pick and STILL drafted Sam Darnold.

30 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Meh, you're supposed to take a difference maker at 6, not a Guard. The amount of draft capital in the o-line is now absurd and people are still saying "at least now they're going to protect Luck".. Yawn. We've thrown high picks at this problem before. 

I would have been happier with some D.

This guy is a difference maker are you blind?.

i like the pick more and more at 6 rather than 3. the pick was in right away so it seemed like it was the top pick on the board. the oline needs some help especially on the interior 

2 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

Best overall player of the 2018 NFL draft IMO. I thought if you went by a pure BPA approach he made the best possible pick with Malik Hooker last year as well. Seems like Ballard's philosophy!

Hard to get excited about this one but when you look at castonzo, nelson, kelly, the left side is set.  if mewhort comes back ably then we only have to worry about RT.    I would have preferred a trade down but glad it wasn't roquan smith.

2 minutes ago, waka waka said:

i like the pick more and more at 6 rather than 3. the pick was in right away so it seemed like it was the top pick on the board. the oline needs some help especially on the interior 

I think Chubb might have been above him on the board but as soon as Denver picked him Ballard knew who he was taking.

2 minutes ago, waka waka said:

I agree that it's better we traded back to 6 and picked up all of the extra value. With the picks ahead of us falling the way they did I was saying to myself "you've gotta take Nelson or trade for a a bunch of picks". 

39 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Meh, you're supposed to take a difference maker at 6, not a Guard. The amount of draft capital in the o-line is now absurd and people are still saying "at least now they're going to protect Luck".. Yawn. We've thrown high picks at this problem before. 

I would have been happier with some D.

What are you talking about the last offensive linemen player taken in top 20 was 2016 Center Ryan Kelly with #18 overall pick and was the right pick before that you gotta go all the way back to 1997 when Tarik Glenn was taken #19 overall (3 probowls age 27-30) If you go with any OL taken in first round you can add Anthony Castonzo who has been an above average LT and was taken #22 overall. Then theres 1984 Ron Solt #19 overall. This is the first time the Colts have drafted the best offensive linemen stop being silly the Colts have not thrown high picks at this problem before they are in this problem by passing on OL opting to get lucky later in the draft. Nelson, Kelly, Mewhort (Easily 0 sacks allowed between these 3 this season sure Nelson a rookie might have a few but Kelly rookie season 16G played 0.5 sacks allowed 2nd season 1.5 sacks allowed 7 games. Jack Mewhort 45 games 4 sacks allowed with 2.5 of those sacks coming his rookie year. Was on the longest streak of any current player not allowing a sack from 2015 - 2017 before this injury riddled season had 3 sacks allowed through 40 games) These are the picks the Colts have made recently with their first pick in the draft. None havn't been worth it and Nelson is no different and is by far the best offensive linemen the Colts have from day 1 which is saying alot given how good Kelly/Mewhort have been. Nelson is essentially the Joe Thomas at Guard for this era. This pick is huge for Colts success going forward. It also tells you Luck is no longer a concern and will be playing this season.

2 minutes ago, akcolt said:

If you don't like the Nelson pick go back and watch Vujnovich play LG We get Carter in the 2nd and Davis/Warner day 3 we are ok 

Good point. Getting Vujo to the bench is definitely a win win as well. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

The left side of the O-line is becoming nasty! We still need a RT IMO, but the O-line is shaping up nicely. 

Great thing is they could definitely get someone in the second. 

Line would be transformed in one draft.

Dan Orlovsky says it best:

“When you have a guy on your offensive line like Quenton Nelson, all four other guys are better,” Orlovsky said.

“Everyone else has to get better. Because Quenton Nelson is going to put stuff things on tape, that he’s going to humiliate other human beings on tape.”

I believe Ballard would have taken Nelson at #3 over Chubb, and now he got his guy and 3 extra second round picks.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ColtsUrUs said:

We had one of the worst O-lines in the NFL and you think we didn't need an O-lineman. *shakes head*

Yeah, I agree.  Frankly, I wish it was an LT (and move AC to RT).  The edges are where most of the penetration comes from.  But, still, we’ve definitely had a whole lot of turnover at the OG positions.

So I’m not going to complain too much.  Almost everybody rated Nelson higher than McGlinchey (but not by much).

I am thrilled.  This is a great pick.  An anchor pro bowler for a decade or so.    He run blocks great as well as pass block.  Our running game is better as well as the passing game.  

Jumping for joy tonight!  

2 minutes ago, Bluesmith said:

Dan Orlovsky says it best:

“When you have a guy on your offensive line like Quenton Nelson, all four other guys are better,” Orlovsky said.

“Everyone else has to get better. Because Quenton Nelson is going to put stuff things on tape, that he’s going to humiliate other human beings on tape.”

I believe Ballard would have taken Nelson at #3 over Chubb, and now he got his guy and 3 extra second round picks.

You think he’d have passed on Chubb for Nelson at the 3 without the kicker picks?

I’m not sure I agree with that.  It was no secret that we were willing to trade down the 6...which almost certainly would’ve meant not getting Nelson.  But the bids weren’t sweet enough.