Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Giants Ownership wants a QB Drafted

39 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

If ownership wants it, it would most-likely happen right? It looks like Chubb could really make it to 6 after all. 

dont think Giants would go Chubb anyways. We need to worry about CLE at 3 and Denver.

29 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Some times the Al Davises and Jerry Joneses and John Maras (and Jim Irsays) of the world need to be told "no."  You hired Gettleman to build you a team, and now you're going to handicap him by trying to micromanage things.

One of those things is not like the other, which is why I question this report. The Maras and Tisch are involved big picture, but they aren't the kind of owners to meddle in football decisions, historically. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

One of those things is not like the other, which is why I question this report. The Maras and Tisch are involved big picture, but they aren't the kind of owners to meddle in football decisions, historically. 

I mean, they fired McAdoo and Jerry Reese after benching Eli in a lost season to see what the depth behind them looked like. Starting Geno Smith over Davis Webb was a mistake in that we all knew what Geno brought to the table. Webb is the unknown.

Granted, they were both getting fired at the end of the season anyway, but I saw the mid-season firing, especially due to the circumstances, as more meddling than usual. It's not outside of the realm of possibility that the Giants' ownership is tired of being a punching bag in the NFC and has taken a more hands on approach than they used to. With a new GM that is as experienced as Gettleman, it wouldn't seem like a great idea..

6 minutes ago, Shive said:

I mean, they fired McAdoo and Jerry Reese after benching Eli in a lost season to see what the depth behind them looked like. Starting Geno Smith over Davis Webb was a mistake in that we all knew what Geno brought to the table. Webb is the unknown.

Granted, they were both getting fired at the end of the season anyway, but I saw the mid-season firing, especially due to the circumstances, as more meddling than usual. It's not outside of the realm of possibility that the Giants' ownership is tired of being a punching bag in the NFC and has taken a more hands on approach than they used to. With a new GM that is as experienced as Gettleman, it wouldn't seem like a great idea..

The firings weren't meddling, IMO. They had a GM who had been on the hot seat for a couple years, and a coach who lost the team early in the season, who both appeared to be making a last ditch effort to save their own jobs at the possible expense of the team and the standing of the franchise. To me, the firings were basically an acknowledgment that those two guys were making things worse and the ownership wanted to stop the bleeding, both on and off the field.

Then they hired an experienced GM who has a reputation of operating with autonomy. And historically, they've let their football operations run independent of ownership, to a reasonable degree. Just seems strange and out of character for them to insist on a QB no matter what, especially if the football guys don't like the idea of drafting a QB at #2.

I originally thought they'd be drafting a QB anyway, but things haven't been very clear with the Giants throughout draft season, so who really knows what's going on... 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

Fair enough.  I'd agree that they've mostly been hands off, but maybe things have changed.  Maybe they're not going to allow Gettleman the same freedom they allowed Coughlin.  I hope this is not the case (I think the NFL needs more owners like Khan).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

The firings weren't meddling, IMO. They had a GM who had been on the hot seat for a couple years, and a coach who lost the team early in the season, who both appeared to be making a last ditch effort to save their own jobs at the possible expense of the team and the standing of the franchise. To me, the firings were basically an acknowledgment that those two guys were making things worse and the ownership wanted to stop the bleeding, both on and off the field.

I can see what you mean there with not necessarily being meddling. They were both absolutely on the hot seat, especially since McAdoo had lost the locker room, which is why I think they were definitely getting fired at the end of the season. It seemed like a last ditch effort to save their jobs, but it was a move that would have actually been beneficial to the franchise moving forward. They weren't anywhere near playoff contention at that point in the season and they needed to know what they had behind Eli. The Giants going back to Eli after firing McAdoo is what has caused so much uncertainty for them at #2. Apparently Shurmur likes Davis Webb, but due to his lack of regular season tape, they aren't sure if they can pass up the pick of the QB litter in favor of an unknown.

I honestly think the fan backlash of benching Eli was the tipping point in firing McAdoo before the end of the season.

The supposed directive from the ownership on who to pick is completely uncharacteristic though and makes you really wonder how true it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shive said:

The supposed directive from the ownership on who to pick is completely uncharacteristic though and makes you really wonder how true it is.

Yup. All the other stuff was bizarre enough, but I felt like McAdoo did a terrible job of justifying his decision, they didn't control the narrative, and it seemed like there was a rift between the front office and the coaching staff. I'm not sure whose decision it actually was to bench Eli.

But even with all of that, and honestly, even if they are directing Gettleman to draft a QB at #2, this ownership group hasn't operated like Al Davis or Jerry Jones over the years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

Some times the Al Davises and Jerry Joneses and John Maras (and Jim Irsays) of the world need to be told "no."  You hired Gettleman to build you a team, and now you're going to handicap him by trying to micromanage things.

Lumping Mr. Irsay with Al Davis and Jerruh Jones?

They could not be more different. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, That Guy said:

This is not one of those times. 

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

Why? And who would trade for Eli?

If you are going to spend the 2nd pick of the draft on a QB, you are planning on getting him on the field sometime this next season.  They stated Eli was going to be the QB for next few years, why draft a QB at 2nd pick just to set them.

IMO, Barkley extends Eli's career a few years.

As far as where Eli would go, some one would take him.

3 hours ago, That Guy said:

(and the Jim Irsay's)??  What are you even talking about? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gacker65 said:

If you are going to spend the 2nd pick of the draft on a QB, you are planning on getting him on the field sometime this next season.  They stated Eli was going to be the QB for next few years, why draft a QB at 2nd pick just to set them.

IMO, Barkley extends Eli's career a few years.

As far as where Eli would go, some one would take him.

I don't think anyone would trade for Eli, especially not right now. JMO

I think most rookie QBs benefit from sitting behind a veteran for a season. Recently there's a huge rush to get rookie QBs into the lineup, and I don't get it. Some guys are obviously ready right away, but the majority need all the help they can get. Eli himself sat behind Kurt Warner for a little while.

The QBs in this year's draft all need some time before they hit the field. Again, JMO.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think anyone would trade for Eli, especially not right now. JMO

I think most rookie QBs benefit from sitting behind a veteran for a season. Recently there's a huge rush to get rookie QBs into the lineup, and I don't get it. Some guys are obviously ready right away, but the majority need all the help they can get. Eli himself sat behind Kurt Warner for a little while.

The QBs in this year's draft all need some time before they hit the field. Again, JMO.

I agree, not now, but maybe around the season opener.  I agree, all should sit a year, but we both have seen rookie QBs get rushed into starting.