Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predict the Colts 1st Pick (final)

If we pick at #6 and he's available, I say Bradley Chubb.  If he's not available and we stay at #6, then the Colts will pick Roquan Smith.

If we trade down, then it will be smith or Edmunds, depending on which is available.

How's that for being precise?  LOL

at 6:

Chubb if he's there

or Roquan Smith---honestly he's a perfect fit for the D they're wanting to run.

Trade down:

maybe Edmunds if he's there at 11 or 12 or Derwin James---love Geathers, but he's not been reliable injury wise and James is a faster/ better version of him.

• Like 1

Upon listening to all the people talk about our new defense and the importance of the middle LB. Given Ballards time with the Bears who had an impressive run of middle linebackers;

1st pick Roquan Smith    or

1st Tremaine Edwards

but definitely ILB

• Like 1

The thing that makes me think the Colts will not take Nelson, even if available, is Chris Ballard's saying they are looking to get elite difference makers that can change a game.  

As important as the OL is, there isn't a guy on the OL that can change a game like a player that can make an amazing catch, cause a sack fumble, or return a pick to the house for a pick six.  The diffference makers / game changer comments are straight from the horse's mouth.  Based on that, Nelson doesn't fit the description.  Of course, one cannot entirely dismiss the possibility of smoke screens, but an OT/OG/C are not big play game changers, generally speaking.

14 minutes ago, onebad150 said:

Upon listening to all the people talk about our new defense and the importance of the middle LB. Given Ballards time with the Bears who had an impressive run of middle linebackers;

1st pick Roquan Smith    or

1st Tremaine Edwards

but definitely ILB

Agreed. These are my predictions as well.

I predict we'll be happy with who we pick at #6, or if we get #12 and  #22 in a trade, we'll be happy with those picks.

There's not going to be any Dorsett or TRich type surprises with Ballard in charge.

I have full faith in Ballard and his process.  He strikes me as being almost over-prepared and has an answer for whatever scenario presents itself this evening.  I know he'll be getting phone calls when we are on the clock, and I'm sure he will stick to his plan and do what's best for the Horseshoe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Colts trade back to 8 (add a 2nd round pick) and select Smith. 

Bears move up for Nelson.

my hope is Nelson is the pick. I would order his jersey tomorrow.

This would be excellent!

All these second rounders the Colts have accumulated, the expectation is that second rounders are still premium talents that ought to become solid starters.  We're already ahead of the game as a result of the trade with the NYJ by three players, that's an acceleration of the building process by almost three years!

14 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I predict we'll be happy with who we pick at #6, or if we get #12 and  #22 in a trade, we'll be happy with those picks.

There's not going to be any Dorsett or TRich type surprises with Ballard in charge.

I have full faith in Ballard and his process.  He strikes me as being almost over-prepared and has an answer for whatever scenario presents itself this evening.  I know he'll be getting phone calls when we are on the clock, and I'm sure he will stick to his plan and do what's best for the Horseshoe.

There is no such thing as over-prepared. You are either prepared or not... and a great deal of GM's don't come close to being as prepared as Ballard, so he is one of few I would consider being comfortably prepared for this draft...  (not needing a qb helps that as I think the chaos of this draft and qb needing teams will lead to GMs making bad decisions for the longterm health of their respective franchises.)

Other than that, I completely agree with you on Ballard's preparation and decision making. Go Blue.

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Lots of Roquan love here.

Nobody else thinks Saquon is possible?

I think Denver or maybe NY Giants would take him, but there's a possibility both are on the board at #6 because of the QB situation.  Small possibility.

1 hour ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

I think Ballard wants to add another 2nd rounder, so that he can get A Stud player then package 2 #2's to get back into the later 1st round to grab another stud. I would love trading back to 8, drafting Roquan, then coming back up into 1st round and getting a Wynn, or McGlinchey, or Landry.

Bingo!  If we trade the pick and get another 2nd I believe we will trade back into the 1st.   If Buffalo is the partner we could wind up with three 1st rd picks.  How awesome is that?

• Like 1

IND.gif There have been whispers about the Colts trading up for Bradley Chubb. - Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network
The Colts would have to swap picks with the Browns to get Chubb, as they'll have to leap Denver to get him. It may sound silly that the Colts would trade up after moving down, but remember that they got an unbelievable deal from the Jets that they could not turn down. They might be able to move up to No. 4 at a cheaper rate, as Cleveland might be desperate with no logical choices if Saquon Barkley is off the board. -Walter

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#w5iI8i1EiClAyMCt.99

I call nonsense. If we wanted Chubb this much we wouldn't have traded down and put ourselves in a position to have to rely on other teams accepting our offer to move back up, especially in a draft where we will very likely be bidding against teams wanting QBs. This smells all wrong, IMO. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I call nonsense. If we wanted Chubb this much we wouldn't have traded down and put ourselves in a position to have to rely on other teams accepting our offer to move back up, especially in a draft where we will very likely be bidding against teams wanting QBs. This smells all wrong, IMO. 

Take it up with Daniel Jeremiah.   Hopefully we don't do that but I'm not sure what Ballard would have in mind to facilitate the transaction.

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

IND.gif There have been whispers about the Colts trading up for Bradley Chubb. - Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network
The Colts would have to swap picks with the Browns to get Chubb, as they'll have to leap Denver to get him. It may sound silly that the Colts would trade up after moving down, but remember that they got an unbelievable deal from the Jets that they could not turn down. They might be able to move up to No. 4 at a cheaper rate, as Cleveland might be desperate with no logical choices if Saquon Barkley is off the board. -Walter

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#w5iI8i1EiClAyMCt.99

Well, that'd be strange for sure. I really like Chubb but I don't think I'd be into it since I doubt it would be cheap. Cheaper sure, but I bet we'd have to at least give up one of our early 2nd's and something else no later than a 3rd.