Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WG's List of Who We Should and Shouldn't Take In Round 1

Alright, so this is based off of my opinion, and in no way am I telling anyone that they are wrong, but I really feel some players would fit better than others on our team, so here goes!

The Top 3:

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State

If Barkley falls to 6, there should definitely be some conversation about him. He is a top end talent at a position of need for us, and next years class isn't all that exciting when it comes to RB's. Now, the draft is deep with quality backs, so I don't believe we should take him here, but I certainly wouldn't complain if we did.

Verdict: Tentative No

Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State

Chubb is a great EDGE rusher, and would be a good fit in our current scheme, but I have too many questions. Does he have elite traits, or is he more of a clean-up guy? Is his run-stopping ability good enough? Also, looking at the 2019 Draft, we are realistically a year away from the best D-line draft in at least a decade. Here are some names:

Ed Oliver

Dexter Lawrence

Nick Bosa

Rashan Gary

Christian Wilkins

Clelin Ferrell

Joe Jackson

Austin Bryant

Zach Allen

All of these players, IMO, are better than Marcus Davenport and Harold Landry, and most are better than Chubb. I would rather wait a year for our pass rush.

Verdict: Strong No

Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

Nelson is the best lineman to come out in years, yet I'm beginning to lean towards not taking him. Nelson is a fantastic player, but his only weakness is running a Zone Blocking Scheme, which is exactly what we plan to run. Even if he did fit our scheme, there are so many other players in round 2 who could come in and play well for us:

Billy Price

Isaiah Wynn

Will Hernandez

Frank Ragnow

I'd be happy with any one of these players in round 2, so I would pass on Nelson here.

Verdict: Tentative No

The Next 5:

Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia

I like Smith a lot. He is a great fit in our defense that's built to make a WILL look like a superstar. He would obviously have to work on getting more physical, but his knowledge of the game, coverage skills, and speed would fill a big need for our defense. I wouldn't be looking for him at 6, but he would certainly be a big candidate if we traded down a few spots.

Verdict: Strong Yes

Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech

Edmunds is a freak of nature. We have never seen a prospect like him come into the league, and might never see it again. His size and speed combination will make up for his somewhat lacking knowledge of the game, but he would fit all over the field for us. If he gets it all put together, he could totally erase any TE from the passing game, including Gronk.

Verdict: Yes

Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama

Fitzpatrick is one heck of a player, but he just wouldn't fit well in our defense at all! He and Hooker have the exact same skill sets, and while it would be entertaining to see balls being picked off left and right, neither could be the box safety. Fitzpatrick could be a nickel corner, but we already have a good one in Hairston and I wouldn't waste a pick on a part-time player.

Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State

Ward is a fantastic cornerback, and many mocks are sending him here to Indy, but he doesn't fit our new scheme one bit. The Tampa 2 calls for big bodied cornerbacks who can tackle and excel in zone coverage. Ward is a small cornerback who seems afraid to tackle at times and is a better fit in man-coverage. There is nothing there to indicate any fit at all.

Derwin James, S, Florida State

I really am beginning to like James. He seems like a do it all safety who would really fit well here in Indy. I believe, if we were to select James, we would need to move Geathers into a hybrid LB role in order to maximize our talent. If Geathers can't or won't make the switch, James may not fit well, but he is better than Geathers and should start even if Geathers doesn't move.

Verdict: Tentative Yes

I hope you all enjoyed this, and that some of you even agree with me! I can't wait to see how everything goes down tonight!! Go Blue!!:colts:

• Like 3

I agree with all of this. I won't deny my man crush on Nelson, but it's kinda like putting a square peg in a round hole but my god what a square peg. I agree with you on chubb. I won't be mad with chubb but I think most will expect a lot of sacks. I expect 6-10 sacks a year kind of guy but he is a good scheme fit. I want Edmund's above smith. We talk about floors and ceilings with the two and how Smith's floor is higher then Edmund's, but Edmund's floor is still a starting line backer in the league with the ceiling as a perennial all pro and a corner piece for our defense for years. Edmund's will be able to do more of what smith can do but smith won't be able to do everything that Edmund's can do. With the likes of fournette and Henry in our division we need someone to lay the wood on them

My yeses, in order of preference:

DE   Bradley Chubb

OG  Quenton Nelson

LB   Roquan Smith

LB   Tremaine Edmonds

S     Derwin James

CB   Denzal Ward

DB   Minkah Fitzpatric

Notes - very close for me between Nelson & Smith.  Actually, Chubb is right there, too.  I would be okay with throwing darts, really, between all three.  The only reason I wouldn’t pull the trigger on Nelson is because I believe two excellent OL prospects could indeed be had in the 2nd round.  

Alright, for clarification on Chubb: He is a great player, but I really don't like his game. He may be the second best run stopper at DE in this draft, but this draft is very poor when it comes to Run Stuffing ends, so I wouldn't agree that he is "good". The big reason I don't want him is because we need to fill other positions as well, so if we get one of the LB's this draft, then turn around in 2019 and get a pass rusher in a great class, the need for Chubb is much less. Not to mention that the 2019 draft doesn't have any good LBs it seems, so unless a stud LB is in free agency next year, the need to get one this draft is much, much higher than the need for Chubb.

I’m all in on Chubb.  Don’t overthink it - he’s an outstanding all-round DE who will be a very productive pass-rusher in the pros.  So, not the uber-fast Mathis/Freeney type.  So what?  He’ll get to the QB JJ Watts style.  After him, I’m definitely a Roquon guy.  That’s who we’re most likely to pick up tonight.

• Like 1

If Chubb, Nelson, or Barkely are gone by #6, that means a few premium QBs are available and we can get a kings ransom of picks (Bills come to mind).  Nelson is the most likely to fall to us but I would be OK with Smith at #6 and pick up a quality OG in the second round.  If Chubb or Barkely are there at #6 i would prefer Chubb but would be happy with Barkely as well.

Joseph