Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson’s Interview...

BigQandTheManiac

The one issue I had trouble reading was when he talked about no losing seasons under his reign....

Technically,  it's true.   Heck, I've made the same argument defending him.    But, I've also noted that Grigson is also in part responsible for the train wreck of a season we suffered through.   Perhaps not technically or by letter of the law..   but in the SPIRIT of the law,  last season has Grigson's finger prints all over them.  He left the dumpster fire that Ballard has to clean up.   A 3-year job that we're not even halfway through...  

Just because he's not the GM anymore doesn't mean he doesn't have some responsibility to deal with.   His head shouldn't rest that easy on his pillow.

• Like 2

Even if this article says that, as GM, he was solely responsible for the picks unlike other teams where the HC had more influence, I can't believe that Pagano didn't have positive input towards drafting Bjoern Werner, DJoun Smith, TJ Green, or the TRich trade.

If Pagano actually had NO input because of the way the organization was set up, then that's on Irsay.  Also, RG didn't have the power to fire CP, but yet CP apparently had not enough power to veto a defensive player he thought was a poor choice.

The only thing that makes sense to me about his tenure is that he was a poor GM, Pagano was a poor or even poorer HC, and both thought the other sucked so they didn't get a long. 

• Like 1

First question: Has Pat McAfee seen this article? I'd love to hear his insights on this. 

Didn't need to hear that Grigson was lacking in communication skills inside LOS. I already knew that. 

Given that counselors had to be hired for the GM & HC to tolerate 1 another, why did our owner extend both contracts? Cut Ryan much sooner & allow Pagano 1 more season to redeem himself which is what Jimmy did eventually. 

I could have told you Mr. Double Speak Ryan wasn't warm & fuzzy & needed to go like yesterday. Funny how he neglected to mention all the QBs injured under his tenure due to poor OL picks. So, be it. 

I read it. 

Basically, he regrets not opening up more to the media and fans. I found the part where he believes he would have won a Super Bowl had he have been kept around laugh out loud funny. Say whatever you want about Grigson, but he always had a high ego. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The one issue I had trouble reading was when he talked about no losing seasons under his reign....

Technically,  it's true.   Heck, I've made the same argument defending him.    But, I've also noted that Grigson is also in part responsible for the train wreck of a season we suffered through.   Perhaps not technically or by letter of the law..   but in the SPIRIT of the law,  last season has Grigson's finger prints all over them.  He left the dumpster fire that Ballard has to clean up.   A 3-year job that we're not even halfway through...  

Just because he's not the GM anymore doesn't mean he doesn't have some responsibility to deal with.   His head shouldn't rest that easy on his pillow.

Lol... I haven't read the article, but this does sound humorous. Its hard to use the losing record argument when you simply look at the roster vs. Grigsons draft record. There are entire draft classes that are no longer with the team. Add in Luck's injury & Grigson should be either declining interviews or apologizing to the entire fan base...

• Like 3

Ill give you 2 words to explain the "no losing seasons," Andrew Luck. He lucked out with Andrew and all he had to do was build a solid team around him, instead he managed to bring the team to where we are now, the bottom of the league. Not to mention assembling the worst Oline in football resulting in you know who being injured for almost 2 season.

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

Ill give you 2 words to explain the "no losing seasons," Andrew Luck. He lucked out with Andrew and all he had to do was build a solid team around him, instead he managed to bring the team to where we are now, the bottom of the league. Not to mention assembling the worst Oline in football resulting in you know who being injured for almost 2 season.

What’s worse is he was a linemen 

Okay, Grigson says his white beard makes him have "a Kenny Rogers style." First, Ryan would have us believe he should have been kept around 'For The Good Times.' What like this 'Gambler' GM who traded for RB Trent Richardson wasn't an 'Island(s) In the Stream' selection that turned out to be a huge bust for INDY?

It's not like we need to reflect 'Through The Years' on other strange 'Lucille' statements you've said such as Andrew Luck was the Michael Jordan of the NFL. Look 'Lady' even Lionel Ritchie who wrote that song, would give you the side eye for a ridiculous remark like that. 

Yeah I know, it's late & I was bored so I tried to use this country singer's titles to poke fun at Grigson with less than stellar results. Oh well. Most of Kenny's stuff was romantic singles that aren't ideal for front office slapstick criticism. 

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Didn't need to hear that Grigson was lacking in communication skills inside LOS. I already knew that. 

Given that counselors had to be hired for the GM & HC to tolerate 1 another, why did our owner extend both contracts? Cut Ryan much sooner & allow Pagano 1 more season to redeem himself which is what Jimmy did eventually. 

Its really hard to imagine anyone not getting along with Pagano,  He seems like the most approachable, easy going person.   I'm not a complete Grigson basher but he has to own that relationship breakdown.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Glad you posted it, but the article is too brief.  It alludes to his toxic relationship with Pagano, but doesn't really explain why (although we can all guess).  I'd love to hear why he didn't break the bank to protect the Franchise.  (Heck, I'd like to hear that from Ballard too)

One of my beefs with him was his arrogance.  I remember him doing a radio interview and laughing because the fans were so concerned about getting a Guard.  As if it wasn't an important position.

Every GM is going to make mistakes, even BB has a bunch of bad draft picks and FAs that didn't work out.  It's all about how they adapt and proceed, and if they're not making the same mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Its really hard to imagine anyone not getting along with Pagano,  He seems like the most approachable, easy going person.   I'm not a complete Grigson basher but he has to own that relationship breakdown.  

That's true.  I met Chuck through a work event.  He's a great guy who listens.  And it was obvious the players loved him.

None of that means he's a great head coach though.  I'm just relating my experience with him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Okay, Grigson says his white beard makes him have "a Kenny Rogers style." First, Ryan would have us believe he should have been kept around 'For The Good Times.' What like this 'Gambler' GM who traded for RB Trent Richardson wasn't an 'Island(s) In the Stream' selection that turned out to be a huge bust for INDY?

It's not like we need to reflect 'Through The Years' on other strange 'Lucille' statements you've said such as Andrew Luck was the Michael Jordan of the NFL. Look 'Lady' even Lionel Ritchie who wrote that song, would give you the side eye for a ridiculous remark like that. 

Yeah I know, it's late & I was bored so I tried to use this country singer's titles to poke fun at Grigson with less than stellar results. Oh well. Most of Kenny's stuff was romantic singles that aren't ideal for front office slapstick criticism. 

He just dropped in to see what condition his condition was in and it's not in good condition.:scorebad:

His assessment of his mistakes makes me think of the standard answer to the interview question: What is your weakness? Answer "I just work too hard"

He says he would communicate with more people if he had to do it over.  Said, he really  only showed his 'human side' to his inner circle.  I wonder who was in the 'inner circle' as he admits to a toxic relationship with the head coach.

I think it's a problem when the head coach isn't someone you feel you should be communicating with.

He also says he was so 'laser focused' that he didn't take time to work the media.  So, essentially, he blames the media for saying mean things about him but he was working too hard to defend himself.

I don't see leadership qualities in a man who thinks everyone but him is responsible.

I think his interview shows disdain for everyone other than himself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nadine said:

His assessment of his mistakes makes me think of the standard answer to the interview question: What is your weakness? Answer "I just work too hard"

He says he would communicate with more people if he had to do it over.  Said, he really  only showed his 'human side' to his inner circle.  I wonder who was in the 'inner circle' as he admits to a toxic relationship with the head coach.

I think it's a problem when the head coach isn't someone you feel you should be communicating with.

He also says he was so 'laser focused' that he didn't take time to work the media.  So, essentially, he blames the media for saying mean things about him but he was working too hard to defend himself.

I don't see leadership qualities in a man who thinks everyone but him is responsible.

AGREED. I didn’t see anything their that showed me the man took accountability for his mistakes. We all make mistakes. Some of us just do something about it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nadine said:

pretty good analysis here

he probably gave these job interview answers because he is trying to get back into the league  

• Like 1

Contrary to many thoughts, communication is not why he got fired.  The team was losing and his young players never developed.  I assume he was an * when the team was making the playoffs, so what's the moving variable?

His subordinates and media need to grow up and realize no matter the personality of the boss or the interviewee, you still have to do your job.  Citing the * personality of the boss is a little too convenient of an excuse, or working it into a story for bias is very unprofessional.  A person has to interact with all different kinds of personalities to be successful and shouldn't expect to be spoon-fed just the people they like.

And the person who failed to protect Luck was Chud, who seemed to find a way to call up tempo plays in the 4th quarter of many games or when MH started.  I'm sure if Grigson would have called down to the field and demanded Chuck/Chud call quicker plays earlier, the * would have been accused of meddling.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Contrary to many thoughts, communication is not why he got fired.  The team was losing and his young players never developed.  I assume he was an * when the team was making the playoffs, so what's the moving variable?

His subordinates and media need to grow up and realize no matter the personality of the boss or the interviewee, you still have to do your job.  Citing the * personality of the boss is a little too convenient of an excuse, or working it into a story for bias is very unprofessional.  A person has to interact with all different kinds of personalities to be successful and shouldn't expect to be spoon-fed just the people they like.

And the person who failed to protect Luck was Chud, who seemed to find a way to call up tempo plays in the 4th quarter of many games or when MH started.  I'm sure if Grigson would have called down to the field and demanded Chuck/Chud call quicker plays earlier, the * would have been accused of meddling.

This is a very good post! I don't think Grigson deserves all the blame either but his personality just makes him such an easy target. The good thing is all of them (GM and coaching staff) are gone!

Dhmbb6t.gif

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DougDew said:

Even if this article says that, as GM, he was solely responsible for the picks unlike other teams where the HC had more influence, I can't believe that Pagano didn't have positive input towards drafting Bjoern Werner, DJoun Smith, TJ Green, or the TRich trade.

If Pagano actually had NO input because of the way the organization was set up, then that's on Irsay.  Also, RG didn't have the power to fire CP, but yet CP apparently had not enough power to veto a defensive player he thought was a poor choice.

The only thing that makes sense to me about his tenure is that he was a poor GM, Pagano was a poor or even poorer HC, and both thought the other sucked so they didn't get a long. 

Pagano definitely had influence...and I think it got much stronger near the end. Players like D'Joun Smith, TJ Green and Morrison had Pagano written all over them.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DougDew said:

he should have fired chud when it was clear we could not protect well enough to make the scheme work 

chud was chucks guy, but grigson should have had final say in OC

30 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he should have fired chud when it was clear we could not protect well enough to make the scheme work 

chud was chucks guy, but grigson should have had final say in OC

Yeah, we never know how much authority he had or what the chain of command was.  Its pretty obvious that RG had no authority to fire CP, but some have suggested that RG hired the assistants.  So why would Irsay structure the organization so the GM is responsible for the assistants but not the HC?  

Not much about that reported dynamic between RG, CP, and Irsay; and who was directly responsible for what, ever made complete sense to me.

15 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

honestly, I think it's Grigson trying to audition for another job more than anything else.  Especially given how he mentioned the record so many times

• Like 2