Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Schefter] Callaway tested positive for marijuana at the combine

That's it... I am done with him. I want nothing to do with him. You cannot go to a job interview and be this unprofessional. If he cannot keep away for the most important 3-4 months of his career how is he going to keep away when he's going to have all the money and time in the world when he gets in the league? Extremely talented, loved him on tape and in on-field drills at the combine, but we've seen this before. It signifies deeper problems. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stitches said:

That's it... I want nothing to do with him. You cannot go to a job interview and be this unprofessional. If he cannot keep away for the most important 3-4 months of his career how is he going to keep away when he's going to have all the money and time in the world when he gets in the league. Extremely talented, loved him on tape and in on-field drills at the combine, but we've seen this before. It signifies deeper problems. 

I tend to agree. All these players know in advance when they are going to be tested. If they don't have the sense enough to know when and when not to smoke pot they are pretty stupid.

We don't need stupid players on this team.

• Like 2

And in his most recent interview,  he insisted that he had finally grown up and matured.    Said he had a new baby daughter and it was time to be an adult.

And, having been tossed off the Florida team,  and he's got to nail the Combine,  he comes in with a diluted sample....

And is busted....    :facepalm:

Let me guess...     his favorite player is.....    Josh Gordon?

What a waste of talent......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And in his most recent interview,  he insisted that he had finally grown up and matured.    Said he had a new baby daughter and it was time to be an adult.

And, having been tossed off the Florida team,  and he's got to nail the Combine,  he comes in with a diluted sample....

What makes guys like this just throw away an opportunity to set themselves up for life all for the sake of getting high?

It's not a point of me having a problem with anyone smoking some weed. The point is them not having the self control over themselves knowing they are going to be tested and not having the will power to control themselves.  Working for something pretty much you whole life and chance it? Makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is actually good news. Ballard was going to draft him in the 2nd round potentially (at least it was rumored), and now we know he did this before the draft and not after. Could save us a 2nd round pick from being a complete bust. Best time it could of possibly happened for us. Big dodge for Ballard if he was interested. We might get him as an UDFA now.

Dammit

Loved him as a prospect and was hoping he left this stuff behind him. 

He would have been a 4th/5th rounder before but he’s undraftable now.

I’d take him as a UDFA but the Josh Gordon ghost hangs too heavy over him to draft him.

1 minute ago, UKColt13 said:

Dammit

Loved him as a prospect and was hoping he left this stuff behind him. 

He would have been a 4th/5th rounder before but he’s undraftable now.

I’d take him as a UDFA but the Josh Gordon ghost hangs too heavy over him to draft him.

Believe me, it's a good thing we figured it out now. Rumors said we were interested in the 2nd. Ballard loved him. This is the best possible news that could of happened to us before the draft besides another trade.

Maybe I'm a fool, but I would still take a chance on him with a 7th round pick. NFL.com has him in their top 50 prospects and graded to be an instant starter. In my opinion that is worth a 7th round pick. I can't say I know this kid and all his issues because I don't really follow college football, but if we would be willing to bring him in as an UDFA then take him in the 7th. I can understand if he is completely off our board, and have no problem if he is, but if Ballard and Mr. Irsay are still willing to give him a shot then go ahead and draft him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Maybe I'm a fool, but I would still take a chance on him with a 7th round pick. NFL.com has him in their top 50 prospects and graded to be an instant starter. In my opinion that is worth a 7th round pick. I can't say I know this kid and all his issues because I don't really follow college football, but if we would be willing to bring him in as an UDFA then take him in the 7th. I can understand if he is completely off our board, and have no problem if he is, but if Ballard and Mr. Irsay are still willing to give him a shot then go ahead and draft him.

Those are the ones that are known(according to reports there are more that teams are finding out about but haven't been made public yet):

1. He was accused of sexual assault in Florida but was cleared from the charge on a title ix hearing in UF. The accuser still maintains Callaway assaulted her

2. Suspended for the full year(2017) for being part of a credit card fraud at UF.

3. Failed marijuana test at the combine. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I hope this answers your questions about not drafting him at all.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Those are the ones that are known(according to reports there are more that teams are finding out about but haven't been made public yet):

1. He was accused of sexual assault in Florida but was cleared from the charge on a title ix hearing in UF. The accuser still maintains Callaway assaulted her

2. Suspended for the full year(2017) for being part of a credit card fraud at UF.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I hope this answers your questions about not drafting him at all.

I have no problem if the Colts have completely taken him off the board. My point was if you are willing to bring him in as an UDFA then go ahead and take him in the 7th. If it were me, I would probably leave him off my board, but it's not my job to build this team. My job is just to come here and make comments about how the team is being built. Haha. I won't complain if the Colts don't draft him or if they take a flier on the kid. 

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Believe me, it's a good thing we figured it out now. Rumors said we were interested in the 2nd. Ballard loved him. This is the best possible news that could of happened to us before the draft besides another trade.

Oh I agree. Just a shame

9 hours ago, stitches said:

That's it... I am done with him. I want nothing to do with him. You cannot go to a job interview and be this unprofessional. If he cannot keep away for the most important 3-4 months of his career how is he going to keep away when he's going to have all the money and time in the world when he gets in the league? Extremely talented, loved him on tape and in on-field drills at the combine, but we've seen this before. It signifies deeper problems. 

No excuses especially for a projected NFL player, However, I hope you've been perfect your entire life. You sound like an NFL GM or scout. ijbh

To be honest, I really have no problem with a 21 yr old who smoked some weed. We all do a lot of silly stuff when we are young. I do have concerns about the alleged sexual assault and credit card theft. Those things would take him off my board before a kid smoking weed. I'm not saying I'm against taking a late round flier on the kid, but I won't be up in arms if he is off the board for us. I trust Chris Ballard's decision making on this.

22 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

No excuses especially for a projected NFL player, However, I hope you've been perfect your entire life. You sound like an NFL GM or scout. ijbh

It's not a point in anyone being perfect their whole life. It's a point in being smart enough. Like I said earlier, all these players know when they are going to be tested for weed. If they don't have the self control to not smoke weed when they know the test is coming it shows how stupid they are.

I have no doubt that there are a lot of players who smoke weed. They are just smart enough to know when not to. It's pretty easy to pass a test for weed when you know in advance when you are going to be tested.

There is a time and a place for everything and smoking weed while trying to get a NFL contract damn sure ain't the place. Anyone who chooses to get high instead of getting paid is dumb as hades.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's not a point in anyone being perfect their whole life. It's a point in being smart enough. Like I said earlier, all these players know when they are going to be tested for weed. If they don't have the self control to not smoke weed when they know the test is coming it shows how stupid they are.

I have no doubt that there are a lot of players who smoke weed. They are just smart enough to know when not to. It's pretty easy to pass a test for weed when you know in advance when you are going to be tested.

There is a time and a place for everything and smoking weed while trying to get a NFL contract damn sure ain't the place. Anyone who chooses to get high instead of getting paid is dumb as hades.

Indeed. I couldn't care less if someone smokes marijuana and what they do with their own lives(as long as they don't harm others). This is not me casting moral judgement on his smoking - I have zero problem with that in a vacuum. This is me commenting on his decision making, discipline, judgement and smarts. When you are about to be paid millions of dollars to play football, the very least an NFL team should expect is for the prospects to abstain from doing something stupid, especially when he has a laundry list of other issues and red flags. This is about whether you can trust him on your team, whether you can justify spending a premier asset(rumors were the Colts were looking at him with one of the 2nd round picks), whether you can feel comfortable paying him millions of dollars to represent your franchise. If he cannot stay clean for his interview process, what makes you think he will stay clean when he gets to the NFL? This is about not wasting valuable resources on someone who's shown he doesn't have the discipline and judgement to at least not get caught.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Like I said, Its NO EXCUSE for him to fail the test. But you still sound like a GM or scout. No point to over emphasis a failed "weed test". I mean there are other concerns that players have (i.e. Mayield being arrested) that are equal or just as big. But, Still NO EXCUSE for calloway.

12 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Like I said, Its NO EXCUSE for him to fail the test. But you still sound like a GM or scout. No point to over emphasis a failed "weed test". I mean there are other concerns that players have (i.e. Mayield being arrested) that are equal or just as big. But, Still NO EXCUSE for calloway.

Is that supposed to be like... a knock against @crazycolt1 or me? 'you sound like a GM or scout'? What is that supposed to mean? What's your point? That as fans we shouldn't be worried and form opinions about players' judgement and smarts and whether we would be happy getting said player on the team? Cuz if that's what you are saying we might as well close this entire section of the forum... pretty much everything here is opinions on who you like and you don't like, who you trust and who you don't to perform for the team if drafted, etc... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Translation - 3 strikes and you are out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I believe in his combine interview he told them he smoked a couple weeks before the combine.   I'm not sure if it's a surprise marijuana was found in his testing.

It could be a double positive if we can get him with a late pick or as an UDFA. I live in a legal state no problems with pot here. I understand it's a league policy but it wouldn't be the straw that broke the Camel's back for me. As others have stated he has other things that are more concerning in his past. This will be a Chris B call he's the one with the 411 this team could use cheap talent at WR I still mock him.to us day 3. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I believe in his combine interview he told them he smoked a couple weeks before the combine.   I'm not sure if it's a surprise marijuana was found in his testing.

I missed that. Do you have a source for it? Thanks. 

Maybe Ballard will see this as his Tyreek Hill...and take a chance on him very late in the draft. Personally, I wouldn't mind it if he was a flyer in addition to another, safer WR drafted on day two.

But I wouldn't be surprised if another team drafts him before that...if Callaway was high up the draft board. While this does show him to be very immature and unprofessional (especially in conjunction with everything that has happened), I don't think a failed weed test will be as much of a deterrant as it has been in the past.

Jerry Jones has publicly said that the league should drop its prohibition on weed and has brought it up in owners' meetings. Jones is a very powerful owner and can likely get this done. Likewise, many players are prescribed painkillers, so weed could make for a much safer alterntaive...which makes sense in the current climate nationally.

Former players are also behind this. Seems like it's only a matter of time. So Callaway testing postiive might not turn teams off entirely...provided he was on their board to begin with. And thinking about it, DAL needs a WR.

9 minutes ago, akcolt said:

It could be a double positive if we can get him with a late pick or as an UDFA. I live in a legal state no problems with pot here. I understand it's a league policy but it wouldn't be the straw that broke the Camel's back for me. As others have stated he has other things that are more concerning in his past. This will be a Chris B call he's the one with the 411 this team could use cheap talent at WR I still mock him.to us day 3. 

Callaway certainly has some flags I'll say that.   The credit card fraud thing I am maybe assuming they chalk that up to being broke.  Maybe they think that doesn't happen if he's got some money.  Who knows?    Lot of flags though

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is actually good news. Ballard was going to draft him in the 2nd round potentially (at least it was rumored), and now we know he did this before the draft and not after. Could save us a 2nd round pick from being a complete bust. Best time it could of possibly happened for us. Big dodge for Ballard if he was interested. We might get him as an UDFA now.

Huh?     Where and when wss that rumor?

Why would Ballard, who came from KC, where they took Tyreke Hill in the 5th and who is now with the Colts where Irsay won't let the GM take a knucklehead before the 5th round...    suddenly Ballard is ok picking Galloway in the 2nd?   And Irsay is going to sign off on that?

Sorry,  but I don't believe that for a minute...    doesn't add up...

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Why would Ballard, who came from KC, where they took Tyreke Hill in the 5th and who is now with the Colts where Irsay won't let the GM take a knucklehead before the 5th round...    suddenly Ballard is ok picking Galloway in the 2nd?   And Irsay is going to sign off on that?

It was on the colts scouting page where it was showing all the players we were interested in. I believe Stitches posted the article and there was a tweet saying that Ballard was interested in Antonio Callaway and might use a 2nd round pick on him.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It was on the colts scouting page where it was showing all the players we were interested in. I believe Stitches posted the article and there was a tweet saying that Ballard was interested in Antonio Callaway and might use a 2nd round pick on him.

Huh?     I never saw this....

Someone got a hold of a Colts scouting report....    a piece of paper from the Colts organization and it said Ballard was interested in drafting Galloway AND he'd use a 2nd round pick?

And no one put this into a thread of its own?    

This wasn't someone's opinion but instead an actual Colts document?

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?     I never saw this....

Someone got a hold of a Colts scouting report....    a piece of paper from the Colts organization and it said Ballard was interested in drafting Galloway AND he'd use a 2nd round pick?

And no one put this into a thread of its own?    

This wasn't someone's opinion but instead an actual Colts document?

Look at page 3 and you will see Callaway info about us visiting him. We were considering using a 2nd on him.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Ok....    NOW I remember this...   but there was a discussion about this and the very idea was scoffed at by the vast majority of posters here.   It was laughed at..

The team that does not leak suddenly tells a kid with a long history of serious trouble that not only do we want to take him, but that we'd use a 2nd round pick to do it?!?

Look....  I don't blame you for posting this, not at all.    But why would anyone believe this when everything we know about Ballard and Irsay says the opposite?

If I'm on Twitter, I'd post it too...

Posting it is one thing.   BELIEVING it is another.....

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Look at page 3 and you will see Callaway info about us visiting him. We were considering using a 2nd on him.

Its not credible.    It was never credible.   Look st the discussion we had back then.  We scoffed at this rumor.   We laughed at that rumor.

It makes no sense.   It never did.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok....    NOW I remember this...   but there was a discussion about this and the very idea was scoffed at by the vast majority of posters here.   It was laughed at..

The team that does not leak suddenly tells a kid with a long history of serious trouble that not only do we want to take him, but that we'd use a 2nd round pick to do it?!?

Look....  I don't blame you for posting this, not at all.    But why would anyone believe this when everything we know about Ballard and Irsay says the opposite?

If I'm on Twitter, I'd post it too...

Posting it is one thing.   BELIEVING it is another.....

I believe it because of Marcus Peters. So I know he's willing to take guys with character concerns. It's not Irsay's style, but Ballard would get the final word in his 2nd year I think.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Its not credible.    It was never credible.   Look st the discussion we had back then.  We scoffed at this rumor.   We laughed at that rumor.

It makes no sense.   It never did.

The part of it about the Colts visiting Callaway was credible since there was confirmation the following days with information about the Colts having a long talk with Callaway at his pro day. I didn't trust the second round part though... 

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I believe it because of Marcus Peters. So I know he's willing to take guys with character concerns. It's not Irsay's style, but Ballard would get the final word in his 2nd year I think.

Jared...   you're changing your story....   back then you opposed using a second round pick on the guy...   pretty much everyone in the discussion didn't like the idea of using a second...   and that was BEFORE we all learned Calloway flunked his test and NOW you believe it?!?

Come on....

Peters and Calloway are not the guy...   they never were.