Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For You Roquan Smith Lovers.

I'm not sold enough to take a chance on him at #6 I mean, the kid can ball and always seems to be around the ball but I noticed on a ton of plays he's making he literally goes unblocked and has free range on the ball carrier. The offensive lineman in the NFL are freaks and a lot of these guys break off the line and run downfield to block and I haven't seen enough of Smith to make me believe he can shed blocks well enough to be picked that high. The Colts suffered for years with guys who either can't cover if their life depended on it or get swallowed up by the offensive lineman.

I rather the Colts take Nelson or Chubb and somehow try to snag Rashaan Evans from Alabama. I think he's going to be a damn well good player in the NFL and he looks like a Chris Ballard kind of football player. The guy is a missile and is all over the place on the field, but more importantly the kid can shed blocks like no other and I think if the Colts trade back in the first, they need to look at Evans late in RD 1.

I'm going to be very disappointed if the Colts stay at 6 and take Smith.

Just my two cents.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

I'm not sold enough to take a chance on him at #6 I mean, the kid can ball and always seems to be around the ball but I noticed on a ton of plays he's making he literally goes unblocked and has free range on the ball carrier. The offensive lineman in the NFL are freaks and a lot of these guys break off the line and run downfield to block and I haven't seen enough of Smith to make me believe he can shed blocks well enough to be picked that high. The Colts suffered for years with guys who either can't cover if their life depended on it or get swallowed up by the offensive lineman.

I rather the Colts take Nelson or Chubb and somehow try to snag Rashaan Evans from Alabama. I think he's going to be a damn well good player in the NFL and he looks like a Chris Ballard kind of football player. The guy is a missile and is all over the place on the field, but more importantly the kid can shed blocks like no other and I think if the Colts trade back in the first, they need to look at Evans late in RD 1.

Just my two cents.

Every lineman comes in and has to work on getting better.  You are giving WAY to much credit to majority of o-line guys.  SO as the line guys get better so will Smith.  He will be just fine and at #6 I would be perfectly fine with it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Every lineman comes in and has to work on getting better.  You are giving WAY to much credit to majority of o-line guys.  SO as the line guys get better so will Smith.  He will be just fine and at #6 I would be perfectly fine with it.

A ton of the film I watched of him no one even attempted to block the guy. The lineman just looked lost and allowed him to blitz in unscathed. The gut is talented, but I dunno.. I'm just not sold on him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I would rather see the Colts draft Trumain Edmunds at #6 myself.

If this happened, I would want to see Shaquem Griffin drafted at some point. A Will and a Mike should both be drafted this class. 

If if we take Smith, take LVE in round 2. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

A ton of the film I watched of him no one even attempted to block the guy. The lineman just looked lost and allowed him to blitz in unscathed. The gut is talented, but I dunno.. I'm just not sold on him.

Missed assignments happen when you run 4.5 speed past on an inside blitz. It will happen less, but Smith should make an impact. We just need a good Mike to go with him. 

1 minute ago, ColtsBlitz said:

If this happened, I would want to see Shaquem Griffin drafted at some point. A Will and a Mike should both be drafted this class. 

The thing with Edmunds is he can move and play any linebacker position ask. I can see him roaming around making plays where ever needed.

What’s with this attitude that if we take Smith, it shouldn’t be at 6? That’s not how the draft works. If a team really likes a guy from their board that’s available at the pick, they take them. You don’t draw up some imaginary value on a player and only take him in a trade down. If the Colts are unsure about Smith, they shouldn’t take him at all. 

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

Everyone has their own opinion on players.  He has plenty of tape showing good instincts though.  Watch the National Champ game again against Bama (good pro style linemen).  He showed a lot that game alone.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

What’s with this attitude that if we take Smith, it shouldn’t be at 6? That’s not how the draft works. If a team really likes a guy from their board that’s available at the pick, they take them. You don’t draw up some imaginary value on a player and only take him in a trade down. If the Colts are unsure about Smith, they shouldn’t take him at all. 

i cant think of any will linebackers that have ever gone that high

people knock running backs for positional value but they do go in the top 10 pretty often 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

people knock running backs for positional value but they do go in the top 10 pretty often 

A lot of people, including Ballard, feel he can play anywhere. There’s size concerns, but he’s identical in size to Bobby Wagner who plays Mike in the Seahawks scheme.

he might not be viewed just as WLB as others have stated in other threads he could play WLB in base likely MLB in Nickle and Dime packages he's that athletic. Teams are in sub packages far more then they are in a base DEF. Heck he might be even viewed as a MLB he's instinctive enough. If you have enough people on the line causing havoc and freeing him up to make plays he's be a good MLB  

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

I think this is pretty spot-on generally speaking.

Non pass-rushing LBs have not gone high historically.

Some that have are good. Others not so much.

Recent ones (first non-rushing LB taken):

H.Reddick- 13th (2017)

A.Barr- 9th (2014)

L.Kuechly- 9th (2012)

R.McClain- 8th (2010)

A.Curry- 4th (2009)

B.Cushing- 15th (2009)

K.Rivers- 9th (2008)

J.Mayo- 10th (2008)

To my knowledge, those are the only LBs taken in the top-15 in the past 10 or so years that were not taken with the mindset of them being pass rushers.

Guys like Vic Beasley and even (at the time) Barkevious Mingo were taken in the top-10 but were thought of as guys who would attack the QB when they were taken.

This is not to say that R.Smith or Edmunds are not going to be good players.

Just meant to show that a non pass rushing LB is usually going somewhere around 8-10 or later in most instances.

So I can see where many folks say something like "if we are going to take Smith then we should trade back from 6".

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

A lot of people, including Ballard, feel he can play anywhere. 

i have not seen that.  if he really thinks so then i guess he could be the pick

personally i would not take him at six because i have 5 other guys i like better.  one of them will be there 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

A lot of people, including Ballard, feel he can play anywhere. There’s size concerns, but he’s identical in size to Bobby Wagner who plays Mike in the Seahawks scheme.

and it's an understatement to say Wagner's "pretty" good.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I think this is pretty spot-on generally speaking.

Non pass-rushing LBs have not gone high historically.

Some that have are good. Others not so much.

Recent ones (first non-rushing LB taken):

H.Reddick- 13th (2017)

A.Barr- 9th (2014)

L.Kuechly- 9th (2012)

R.McClain- 8th (2010)

A.Curry- 4th (2009)

B.Cushing- 15th (2009)

K.Rivers- 9th (2008)

J.Mayo- 10th (2008)

To my knowledge, those are the only LBs taken in the top-15 in the past 10 or so years that were not taken with the mindset of them being pass rushers.

Guys like Vic Beasley and even (at the time) Barkevious Mingo were taken in the top-10 but were thought of as guys who would attack the QB when they were taken.

This is not to say that R.Smith or Edmunds are not going to be good players.

Just meant to show that a non pass rushing LB is usually going somewhere around 8-10 or later in most instances.

So I can see where many folks say something like "if we are going to take Smith then we should trade back from 6".

This is is why I like Edmunds more...and I am fine with taking him at #6.. I think he actually offers pass rushing. Urlacher was a 6+ sack player on top of being a great MLB. I think that's what Edmunds could bring...and he has a legit chance of being the best player in this draft.

• Like 4

I love Roquan. He is my favorite player in this draft(he was my avatar picture for most of the year). My worry is with selecting a weakside LB this high. Similarly to the RB argument I am not sure the value is there. IMO he needs to be able to play mike and be elite at it to make it worth it. 

• Like 4

Personally I'm starting to hope Ballard just takes his guy at #6. I really don't think any of the top four or five guys that most people want, ending with Smith and/or Edmunds, are going to be there at #11 or further down. And I just don't really see a trade coming together with the Bears.

Our 1st pick is too important, and while I like this year's crop of 2nd/3rd/4th rounders, I'm not big on the mid-late 1st round options. So unless Miami or Buffalo give up a fortune, I hope we stay where we're at.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing with Edmunds is he can move and play any linebacker position ask. I can see him roaming around making plays where ever needed.

This is true, but he can only be in one spot. We need another guy to stand along side him, so might as well get a guy to fill in the Will position. I like Edmunds in the Mike spot on base defensive plays. In nickel he can even stay in. 

• Like 1

We all have our preferences on players/positions but whoever they take shouldn’t cause controversy. Personally, I prefer to get an impactful defensive player over Barkley (unlikely to be there at 6) or Nelson (likely available at 6) but if the Colts end up with one of those two I’ll be thrilled. The Colts need to add talent regardless of position. The 6th pick allows them to add it.

With the way the draft is expected to go I think the Colts are going to have their choice of a couple great prospects...prospects who check all the boxes you want for a top 10 pick. Not everyone is going to agree on who the Colts should select but hopefully we all agree that whoever it is will make an impact from the start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People are worried about his size...??  He is 6' and played at 240.  So he comes in and does the same for us.  Ray Lewis was 6'1" at 240lbs.  People always try to get caught up with the size thing way to often.  He has plenty of size to play MLB or WLB.  He also has the athleticism to do both.  He can blitz if need be just like others.  Not sure why people try to split hairs when you can watch the tape and see his great intangibles.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Griffin isn't worth a 4th

LVE will go in the 1st

Roquan has been high on my list all offseason. He is the prototypical WILL and would be a tremendous cog in building the athletic defense we want to implement. It will be very important to keep him clean by having some fatties up front taking on blocks, but that is really how you want your defense to operate anyway. 

He will need to improve at taking on blocks though, or at least slipping them with his quickness. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Griffin isn't worth a 4th

LVE will go in the 1st

Griffin isn't worth a 4th?  Many disagree with you.  What is your reasoning? 

His lack of production during college? Oh thats right he had great production.

His bad combine/pro-day? Oh that's right he crushed those as well.

His tape even speaks for itself.  I mean what is your reasoning and when do you see fit that he is drafted?

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I would rather see the Colts draft Trumain Edmunds at #6 myself.

I just watched some film on him and my goodness.  He's got a few cons that give me a bit of pause, but they are fixable with experience and coaching.  I think he's quick to diagnose, but he'll diagnose and react, but sometimes his reaction is the wrong one.  He'll take the QB for instance on a read option when he gives it to the RB.  I'm not sure he reads it wrong, he just perhaps reacts a fraction of a second too quickly and goes after teh QB rendering himself out of position to make a play.  He'll also sometimes take bad angles that sacrifice his gap responsibility.  He'll bite on play action a little more than I'd like to see, but again, these things are all fixable with experience.  He has tools that you don't come across very often in prospects.  If we drafted him at #6, I would not be the least disappointed unless we passed on Chubbs and perhaps Nelson.  Even if we took him over Chubbs and Nelson I don't think I'd ream on Ballard too much, especially if Edmunds turns out to be the cornerstone player he has the potential to be.  Great prospect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I just watched some film on him and my goodness.  He's got a few cons that give me a bit of pause, but they are fixable with experience and coaching.  I think he's quick to diagnose, but he'll diagnose and react, but sometimes his reaction is the wrong one.  He'll take the QB for instance on a read option when he gives it to the RB.  I'm not sure he reads it wrong, he just perhaps reacts a fraction of a second too quickly and goes after teh QB rendering himself out of position to make a play.  He'll also sometimes take bad angles that sacrifice his gap responsibility.  He'll bite on play action a little more than I'd like to see, but again, these things are all fixable with experience.  He has tools that you don't come across very often in prospects.  If we drafted him at #6, I would not be the least disappointed unless we passed on Chubbs and perhaps Nelson.  Even if we took him over Chubbs and Nelson I don't think I'd ream on Ballard too much, especially if Edmunds turns out to be the cornerstone player he has the potential to be.  Great prospect.

I see pretty much the same thing you do but with his age he has not even matured into what he is going to be.

I have no problem with taking Chubb if he is still there at 6. I just don't think he will be.

With his quickness for his size he would be an asset all across the defensive line for years to come.

Like you said, add some maturity and some pro coaching and he has the ability to be a game changer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

This is true, but he can only be in one spot. We need another guy to stand along side him, so might as well get a guy to fill in the Will position. I like Edmunds in the Mike spot on base defensive plays. In nickel he can even stay in. 

Maybe Rasheem Green in the later rounds?  I think he is under rated.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

Just my two cents.

He's a sideline to sideline player, may be the most undervalued guy in the draft right now.  He fits what we're trying to build defensively, I'm not sure at six but if we moved back then definitely in an 8-12 move if Nelson isn't there.  But then again, who knows.

30 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

He's a sideline to sideline player, may be the most undervalued guy in the draft right now.  He fits what we're trying to build defensively, I'm not sure at six but if we moved back then definitely in an 8-12 move if Nelson isn't there.  But then again, who knows.

If you want a guy and you only have pick 6, take him. You don't have a pick 8-12. This valuing players for a few positions and not taking them when they are available just shows you didn't want them in the first place.

• Like 1

NO, I would rather have Nelson but if Nelson is not available then it's hard to pick him.  I like Smith, the question is as compared to who and when.  I think I can really like a guy but like someone else better, let's not be silly.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

Just my two cents.

I'll be honest here. 

We can't afford to take a linebacker that high at 6, we need offensive line and pass rushers. Smith is an amazing athelete, and going to be a great player but we can wait to get linebackers. He'll be worth a high draft pick but I don't want it to be ours. If I was calling the shots on thursday I'd wait and add Iowa LB Josey Jewell, the kid might be slow and not have great combine numbers but he has three 120 tackle seasons, and was B1G defensive player of the year as well as the Lott Impact award winner. He could be a solid anchor on D while still letting us address other needs on the team. Again, Just My personal opinion.

Best Wishes,

K Hands

I wonder why we never say " I noticed on a ton of plays Drew Brees through a touchdown when he was unblocked!"  But for some reason we are sold that it's a negative that Roquan Smith made tackles and plays when he was unblocked?

Unlike us, Ballard is going to take the highest rated player on his board at the time of the pick.  I don't think he's going to say "Hey we need a linebacker with this pick".  If that guy is Roquan then cool.  If it's Edmunds then cool.   If it's Nelson then cool.

• Like 1