Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Last Week is Here... Let's Talk QB's....

Traffic on the website has fallen...   fewer threads and posts...    we're all talked out and mocked out...

And since we don't need a quarterback,  I thought we might have some fun talking about the class of '18 quarterbacks....   the strangest and oddest class of QB's I can remember....

Apologies up front....   my mind is filled with thoughts and I'm going to spill them out here in this post...   I understand this won't be for everyone...   but if you like talking QB's (and who doesn't?)  then I hope you'll read on and respond....

The first thing I should say is that NONE OF THEM should start from week 1.    None of them are ready.    Not even a little bit.    They all need time to sit and learn.   I wouldn't start any of them until their team has been officially eliminated from post-season consideration.    And if the starter gets hurt,  I hope the team has another QB that steps in.   These guys are NOT ready.    They all have enough flaws that should not play any meaningful snaps in their rookie year.

For me,  here's the thing of it....   I think there are compelling reasons and arguments for each.   Much to like about each one and feel good about if you draft them.    And there are also enough reasons to be deely concerned.   Concerned enough to have some sleepless nights.    For what it's worth,  about a week ago,  former GM Charley Casserly did a poll and got responses from 24 GM's about their preference.    Darnold was the pick of 17.  He's the safest.   Allen got 3 votes.    Mayfield and Rosen got two votes each. 

What worries me about Darnold is that one year ago,  scouts said they were concerned about too many interceptions and too many fumbles.    And what happened?     Nothing.   He had the same problems in 17 that he had in 16.    That's a big Red Flag for me.     And I'm not wild about his arm talent.     But here's what I love...    he keeps his eyes downfield.   He's got great pocket awareness.    He can make subtle moves back and forth and left and right to extend plays.    He can also roll out either way,   either by design,  or because of pressure.     Those are some outstanding qualities.

Allen is the man-child of this class.  Bigger, taller, incredible arm strength...   athletic for his size...  scored a 37 on the Wonderlic,  highest, by far, of all the QB's.    Scouts drool for the chance to work with his tools.   But he's been poorly coached and was not surrounded by any kind of talent this year.    So, he might have improved if had any kind of supporting cast.  He also has terrible footwork,  but that can be coached up.   But a year with a good coaching staff and he might turn into something special.    He has the highest ceiling.     He also has the lowest floor. 

Mayfield has a magnetic personality.   Bill Polian said he was with Mayfield at the Senior Bowl.   That when Mayfield arrived,  everyone,  and not just his Oklahoma teammates,  but everyone gravitated to him.    And it stayed that way for the days that Polian observed.    Polian said he'd never seen anything like it.    Teammates love the kid and play hard for the kid.   He has also giant BOULDERS on his shoulders,  not just some chips.    He walked on at Texas Tech.   Then transferred to Oklahoma where he walked on again where they had an established QB and beat out that kid.     Mayfield has enough arm talent.   Every evaluator I've read says he has more than enough even if it's not Drew Brees or Russell Wilson.   The kid is a leader and winner.   To the best of my knowledge, he's had two "incidents"...   the DUI before his senior year,  and the crotch grab during it.   And I'm not fazed by either.  Notice history hasn't repeated by either.   Those things repeated all the time with Manziel.   I love Mayfield and will be pulling for him.

Josh Rosen would have the strongest arm in this class if it weren't for Josh Allen.   He's the best natural passer.   But here's the deal....   he's got a little bit of Tom Brady in him,  in that he throws best from inside the pocket.   Throwing outside the pocket, off or on schedule,  and he's not the same.  I realize most QB's are like that,  but with Rosen, it's especially true.   But in the pocket, he can be really impressive.    But he's got a peculiar personality that won't work for everyone.   The team that takes him has to understand that going in.    But he's loved by both Louis Riddick and Daniel Jeremiah.   He also has a three year history of assorted injuries including concussions.    He's got a bit of a slender frame and some wonder how he'll hold up....

I understand anyone here LOVING any of these four guys....  and I understand anyone here HATING any of these four guys.   And nothing would surprise me how they turn out as professionals.   All four cold be busts,  but I doubt it.   All four could be hits...   but I seriously doubt it.   And I have no predictions.   And that's not normally like me......

I've never seen a class of QB's like ths before....    thought it might be fun talking about them.    None of us has any dog in this fight....

P.S. --  Jackson is apparently going in the first round.   And I love that.   The more QB's go high,  the more talent gets pushed down to the Colts at the top of the second round.

The last week is here....    I hope it's a great week for all of us...       :colts:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A lot of people are jumping on the "Jackson could be like Watson" bandwagon lately and that's good.  As you pointed out, we want all QBs to go in the first. However, my College team, Miss. State, put a whooping on Jackson in the bowl game, intercepting him multiple times.  His team was not as good as Watsons, but I personally don't think he's as good as Watson.  I predict that he will do like all super fast QBs who get outside the pocket in the NFL.  He will start off on fire and eventually defenses catch him and Heaven forbid maybe even get injured.  I don't wish that, but that's reality. 

Nice write up NCF, I know just enough about this years draft class to make me dangerous....but in general your assessment is spot on....I like you would like to see as many QB's as possible go in round 1 to save us the "goody" from the draft for the Colts. I think if history is the litmus test, you can feel good no matter how quirky the class, teams will begin to freak and reach for a QB at some point in the first round, and it becomes a monkey see monkey do scenario, so even if that top 5 QB's don't go in the top 10 picks, Someone will be the one to start the run from 11 on....and I hope that includes reaching beyond the top 5 QB's I hope that teams lose their mind in the first round and clean as many QB's off the board as humanly possible.

"Someone I trust, who is very often right and is very well-connected, told me Sunday it’s not Josh Allen." - Peter King, MMQB

King is referring to the Browns' No. 1 overall pick, predicting that Cleveland will take Sam Darnold after all. King posted this hours after Tony Pauline reported that the Browns are now leaning toward Darnold. -Walter

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#WbowvkrfEukue1WM.99

• Like 1

Thanks NCF. Fun concept that gets us away from the endless mocking. The two QBs that stand out to me are Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield. Allen because he has so much room to grow with the great tools; Mayfield because he has the chutzpah and "find a way to win" mentality that only a natural leader possesses. Mayfield in the pocket is a little scary when you imagine him navigating around all those 6'5" long armed behemoths he'll face in the NFL. But then, Brees and Wilson.......they've found a way at a similar height.

I think these are the two best QBs in this year's draft. And if NY is dumb enough not to take a QB with their first pick, they will be the first two QBs off the board IMO. 

• Like 1

"Recent chatter is that there’s a swell of support for Sam Darnold in the Browns war room." - Tony Pauline, DraftAnalyst.com

This is interesting, as all the hype had been trending in Josh Allen's direction last week. The Browns may not have decided this pick yet, so stay tuned for the latest info all week leading up to the draft. -Walter

• Like 1

Pretty good write up, so I'll chime in with a couple thoughts.  Browns signed Tyrod Taylor, who did take the Bills to the playoffs last year.  So their QB doesn't have to start, no matter who they pick. Here's the deal for Dorsey... you can't flub a (another for Browns) QB pick.  Getting the 'wrong one' that high in the draft will set the franchise back another 5 years.  This is a quote I heard from Dave Gettleman (who has #2 pick) recently and it applies as much to Browns as it does the Giants. This choice is so critical, teams do not line up as high in the draft as they can and take 'what's left'. 

These teams likely have one or two on their radar, except the Jets.  They must have 3 they like and could live with, because they have no control over 1 and 2 and have to take one from the last of the 'big 4'.  They didn't trade up with the Colts for a position player, I am quite sure.  After that, teams have evaluated not just the top 4, but others  and determined which ones 'fit'.  Which ever 1 falls down will either slide down the board (Brady Quinn, Aaron Rodgers style?), or someone who loves the guy and will try to move mountains to gain a few slots to take him.  Or a team that did their due diligence on the top QB's even though they didn't need one (Mike McArthy/Green Bay/Aaron Rodgers) says Wow! llok who fell into our lap! Now we have Favre and Rodgers! We don't know, and that is what makes the draft so exciting, its unpredictability.

Rosen is touted as being the 'most pro ready', but so was Brady Quinn having played for Charlie Weiss.  NYG reported to take positional player if Darnold is taken.  Darnold is supposedly the 'safe' choice, Allen risky.  So rumors of Dorsey going toward Darnold could well be true if he agrees with the assessment and wants the 'safe pick.  Remember, when Manning /Leaf were being talked about, Peyton was the 'safe' guy, Leaf the exciting high ceiling guy. Both can't miss... except... one did miss. QB's do miss, and I'll wager at least one from this group will too.

Last thought, Gil Brandt says once again (like almost every year) there are only around 16 or so truly round 1 grade players. He says after that from 17 to 65 could 'go anywhere' they are all that close in grade.  So teams will go with need player rather than BPA because they could well be graded close. Thus the jumble of players taken vs. a top 75 list.  There is no question this draft will be interesting, and it is why the NFL has turned it into such a media show.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Why is the font so big?

Sorry....   I wrote such a long post (Which I'm not proud of) and so since I'm asking people to read a lot of material,  I thought I'd try to make it easier by making the font bigger by one level.   

I was was trying to help readers not upset anyone....   

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry....   I wrote such a long post (Which I'm not proud of) and do since I'm asking people to read a lot of material,  I thought I'd try to make it easier by making the font bigger by one level.   

It was a comment out of sarcasm haha sorry if it seemed hostile

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Pretty good write up, so I'll chime in with a couple thoughts.  Browns signed Tyrod Taylor, who did take the Bills to the playoffs last year.  So their QB doesn't have to start, no matter who they pick. Here's the deal for Dorsey... you can't flub a (another for Browns) QB pick.  Getting the 'wrong one' that high in the draft will set the franchise back another 5 years.  This is a quote I heard from Dave Gettleman (who has #2 pick) recently and it applies as much to Browns as it does the Giants. This choice is so critical, teams do not line up as high in the draft as they can and take 'what's left'. 

These teams likely have one or two on their radar, except the Jets.  They must have 3 they like and could live with, because they have no control over 1 and 2 and have to take one from the last of the 'big 4'.  They didn't trade up with the Colts for a position player, I am quite sure.  After that, teams have evaluated not just the top 4, but others  and determined which ones 'fit'.  Which ever 1 falls down will either slide down the board (Brady Quinn, Aaron Rodgers style?), or someone who loves the guy and will try to move mountains to gain a few slots to take him.  Or a team that did their due diligence on the top QB's even though they didn't need one (Mike McArthy/Green Bay/Aaron Rodgers) says Wow! llok who fell into our lap! Now we have Favre and Rodgers! We don't know, and that is what makes the draft so exciting, its unpredictability.

Rosen is touted as being the 'most pro ready', but so was Brady Quinn having played for Charlie Weiss.  NYG reported to take positional player if Darnold is taken.  Darnold is supposedly the 'safe' choice, Allen risky.  So rumors of Dorsey going toward Darnold could well be true if he agrees with the assessment and wants the 'safe pick.  Remember, when Manning /Leaf were being talked about, Peyton was the 'safe' guy, Leaf the exciting high ceiling guy. Both can't miss... except... one did miss. QB's do miss, and I'll wager at least one from this group will too.

Last thought, Gil Brandt says once again (like almost every year) there are only around 16 or so truly round 1 grade players. He says after that from 17 to 65 could 'go anywhere' they are all that close in grade.  So teams will go with need player rather than BPA because they could well be graded close. Thus the jumble of players taken vs. a top 75 list.  There is no question this draft will be interesting, and it is why the NFL has turned it into such a media show.

Great post...  (all the posts in the thread are really good)...  but especially that last graph...  the one about what Gil Brandt said.    I quoted him last week and I think you got him better than I did...   makes me wonder how the picking will unfold...

I think we'll see more curious, head scratching picks...   more posters wondering why a team made the choice they did...  more disagreements....

Because we have so many picks and this draft is so important,  I think we're ALL more interested in this draft than any in the post-Peyton era...

Exciting times!    :colts:

2 hours ago, krunk said:

"Recent chatter is that there’s a swell of support for Sam Darnold in the Browns war room." - Tony Pauline, DraftAnalyst.com

This is interesting, as all the hype had been trending in Josh Allen's direction last week. The Browns may not have decided this pick yet, so stay tuned for the latest info all week leading up to the draft. -Walter

Darnold definitely fits what they want to do. I think CLE is going to heavily utilize RPO and there will be a strong focus on running the ball. This is why I think they went out and got Taylor. It's also why I think there is still a good chance they draft Barkley if he's available at #4.

I think the entire class is limited.  I also think at least one or two will end up successful because of where they end up as much as pure ability and talent.  I feel sorry (except for the cash that generations of that family will enjoy) for whomever goes first, I'm not sure the Browns will reverse their misfortune in my lifetime.  They just seem, well, to make all the wrong decisions offensively at least.  That D is ok, above average maybe, and improving.  But whomever goes there I think will struggle, won't have all the weapons around them they need, and in a division that has a history of defenses, getting after the QB, and lots of weather causing issues later in the season, I just see more of the same.   I think the Browns throw the kid out there, ready or not, and he will get eaten up.  If I were the Browns I think I'd take Rosen (who may never have played in wind, snow, or cold), I do think he is the most ready to start day one.  Darnold I think will end up the most successful.  And I think Allen, if he goes to the wrong team, won't get a second contract.  I could also see Allen, with patience, and on a team that doesn't rely on the QB to win, could be really successful.  He's smart and huge and could likely withstand the rigors of a season.  But his inability to complete passes from the line of scrimmage to 10 yards at even a respectable rate scares me.  His numbers to that end compare much more like Leaf and Jamarcus Russel than to Wentz. 

The others, Mayfield, Rudolph, and Jackson. all could be exciting to watch, ignite a fanbase for a couple weeks, but I think ultimately fizzle out, when the scrambling/gunslinging/school yard stuff necessarily becomes snaps from center, and five step drops, and reading defenses, and not getting punished holding onto the ball. 

The best matches to me are Darnold to the Browns, I think he is the best of the QBs.  Allen and the Broncos.  Jackson and maybe Washington, to learn behind Smith for a couple years?  Mayfield could be exciting to watch in New York, as a member of the Jets.  If the Giants go QB early, Rosen just oozes Giants to me, steady, high completion percentage, big city learned and ready...  

1 hour ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

{snip}

The best matches to me are Darnold to the Browns, I think he is the best of the QBs.  Allen and the Broncos.  Jackson and maybe Washington, to learn behind Smith for a couple years?  Mayfield could be exciting to watch in New York, as a member of the Jets.  If the Giants go QB early, Rosen just oozes Giants to me, steady, high completion percentage, big city learned and ready...  

Lot of good points made, many folks her eexpressing them which shows why it is hard for anyone to tell if a QB will be 'their franchise' guy.  My only objection is, do you feel Elway will once again take a big chance on a high ceiling/high fail rate QB?  He traded back up into the first round to get Paxton Lynch, remember?  The guy is still on their roster-

quoted-

"The Denver Broncos have -- at long last -- found their quarterback of the future."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000657291/article/denver-broncos-trade-up-to-select-qb-paxton-lynch

Their OC was fired because their playbook was too big and complicated, even larger then Peyton Manning's when he was there.  Elway wants simple, yet effective.  So maybe Lynch can get the playbook learned and finally develop?  If not and Allen follows suit, Elway will certainly learn the perils of a low floor/high ceiling QB guy in round one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Lot of good points made, many folks her eexpressing them which shows why it is hard for anyone to tell if a QB will be 'their franchise' guy.  My only objection is, do you feel Elway will once again take a big chance on a high ceiling/high fail rate QB?  He traded back up into the first round to get Paxton Lynch, remember?  The guy is still on their roster-

quoted-

"The Denver Broncos have -- at long last -- found their quarterback of the future."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000657291/article/denver-broncos-trade-up-to-select-qb-paxton-lynch

Their OC was fired because their playbook was too big and complicated, even larger then Peyton Manning's when he was there.  Elway wants simple, yet effective.  So maybe Lynch can get the playbook learned and finally develop?  If not and Allen follows suit, Elway will certainly learn the perils of a low floor/high ceiling QB guy in round one.

No, I don't think the Broncos take him.  The best fit idea to me is about his ability today, where he's from, the conditions he's used to playing in, and the surrounding support he'd get there.  I think Allen's best environment to learn how to be a pro would be in Denver. 

I think Keenum starts for the Broncos.  So if they take a QB, he won't be expected to play day one.  I think the Broncos are the team most likely to trade back to let a QB hungry team move up - from this point moving forward I mean, the Jets already having done that obviously. 

I saw a lot of Paxton Lynch at Memphis, and he's just like so many other modern-day college QBs.  When you have to spend weeks learning how to take a snap from center, well, it's going to be a long road.  I mean, Riley Ferguson put up about the same numbers the year after Paxton left.  There are a ton of QB friendly schools, none of whom run a pro-style offense any more.  If we thought GMs had it hard picking QBs before, it must be miserable now.  Look at this class.  For every positive, there's a huge 'yeah but...'. 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Darnold definitely fits what they want to do. I think CLE is going to heavily utilize RPO and there will be a strong focus on running the ball. This is why I think they went out and got Taylor. It's also why I think there is still a good chance they draft Barkley if he's available at #4.

i think they will be decent if they get barkley

that is a lot of running talent on one team, taylor, barkley, hyde and landry can all make things happen with the ball in their hands

IMO Rosen is close to ready and with the full attention of a competent OC and QB coach in pre-season and rookie camps I would expect him to be ready to start day 1. IMO he's the most ready QB in the draft and the most ready QB in the last several years. He makes full field reads and goes through progressions seamlessly. His mechanics are very clean and beautiful to watch and IMO he makes the most NFL type throws out of anyone in this draft. There is not a ton purely preparation-wise that he would need to make a major jump in in order to be ready to start day 1 IMO. It's very doable if he ends up with a good coaching staff that knows what it's doing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry....   I wrote such a long post (Which I'm not proud of) and so since I'm asking people to read a lot of material,  I thought I'd try to make it easier by making the font bigger by one level.   

YOU COULD ALWAYS TRY ALL CAPS IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE 12 POINT FONT BUTIMNOTSUREITSANYEASIERONTHEEYES.  LOL.

But seriously though, of the top 6 QBs - Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson, Allen and Rudolph - the only one I'm most worried about is Josh Allen.  That's not to say I wouldn't take him at the right spot, but I don't see a top 5 or 10 pick.  He's got some serious footwork issues that need to be worked out in all phases of his passing game.  His leg drive in his drop back is lacking and it affects his timing, the result being he has to resort to throwing more with his arm than his body.  Much of his throwing accuracy, or lack thereof, stem from that and then poor footwork in his throw (i.e. his back foot is not perpendicular to his target) and it causes a high number of overthrows - PFF charts his high throws and overthrows at a staggering 5.8% and 11.1%, respectively.  When he's on the run, it gets worse.  He also glides around the pocket needlessly sometimes thereby affecting, again, his timing.  He absolutely must sit a year while he works out those issues, and if he does, you've got a football player on your hands.

Mayfield and Rosen are my favorite prospects.  They've both got footwork issues as well, but it's problematic to a much lesser degree than Allen.  Mayfield elects to throw off his back foot a little much, Rosen's accuracy drops when he's on the move.  But either of them could easily wind up being the best QB in the class.  

Darnold to me is a bit difficult to peg, and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that he is inconsistent.  I don't know what it is.  It's like sometimes he cleans up the footwork but at the expense of going through his progressions and surveying the field.  Then it's like he will fix that but then go back to bad footwork.  Then he'll fix those two things and he'll sail the ball.  It's like he flashes elite everything, but none of them at the same time with any sort of consistency.  At least the other QBs in the class are consistently bad at certain areas and consistently good in others.  He makes some NFL level throws and  maybe a lot of it has to do with the fact that he came in as a QB late in his HS football career and just hasn't worked through the nuances of the position like other QBs in this class have.  It's almost as if he's still early in going through his growing pains as a QB.  

9 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He's got some serious footwork issues that need to be worked out in all phases of his passing game.  His leg drive in his drop back is lacking and it affects his timing, the result being he has to resort to throwing more with his arm than his body.  Much of his throwing accuracy, or lack thereof, stem from that and then poor footwork in his throw (i.e. his back foot is not perpendicular to his target) and it causes a high number of overthrows

Good points.  But I'd like to point out that he (and Sam Darnold) have been working out with Jordan Palmer taking care of their 'issues'.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/jordan_palmer_on_sam_darnold_v.html

If we ( Colts ) can't spend a pick on Mike White, maybe we can take a later round flyer on this Kyle Allen kid...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-quarterback-Kyle-Allen-is-hoping-to-move-up-12725813.php

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-quarterback-Kyle-Allen-is-hoping-to-move-up-12725813.php

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

YOU COULD ALWAYS TRY ALL CAPS IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE 12 POINT FONT BUTIMNOTSUREITSANYEASIERONTHEEYES.  LOL.

I don't mind using all caps for a word here or there....

But an entire post?      No, thank you.

I know one person who writes like that and absolutely no one likes reading his posts,  even if he has something interesting to say.       An entire post of ALL CAPS is the internet version of YELLING!

No thanks.    Appreciate the thought.    But I'll pass on that one....

• Haha 2

Allen didn't have lot of talent around him. But he played in the Mountain West. So he played against mostly crappy talent. And still compares unfavorably against his peers who also played with crappy talent. A kid with that kind of arm talent should completely dominate the Mountain West.

I like Rosen and Darnold the most.. they are neck and neck. Then Mayfield, Jackson and Rudolph, followed by Allen.

9 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Sean Payton said something like he wouldn’t be surprised if all the QBs from this class were busts.

imo I think Rosen and Mayfield are the safer picks of the 4

I guess we will know a lot more in a couple days when Dave Gettleman has to make his pick.

In addition, Tony Pauline compiled 35 mock boards of 'experts' and the consensus best QB was Josh Rosen.  So you are in with that crowd, not a bad spot too.

9 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Sean Payton said something like he wouldn’t be surprised if all the QBs from this class were busts.

imo I think Rosen and Mayfield are the safer picks of the 4

I really like Mayfield the more I've watched him.   Something special about the kid to me.

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Good points.  But I'd like to point out that he (and Sam Darnold) have been working out with Jordan Palmer taking care of their 'issues'.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/jordan_palmer_on_sam_darnold_v.html

If we ( Colts ) can't spend a pick on Mike White, maybe we can take a later round flyer on this Kyle Allen kid...

Looked into Kyle Allen.  Unfortunately there is just not a lot of tape out there, so teams will really have their work cut out for them.  Because there is no film - and to be clear I don't mean what's available to us, but the fact that he played in like 3 games in 2017 and was a backup the rest of his career there.  In 2014 he was the backup all season and in 2015 he earned the start at the beginning of the season but in week 6, he got owned by Alabama  and had a 2 or 3 game slide (he claimed he was playing through an injury sustained in the Alabama game that lingered the following weeks), and was relegated to 3rd team duties.  

Those 5 games are what matter most because playing backups in games that are lopsided upon entry is not very helpful, not to mention the added acknowledgement that you couldn't win the job over someone else. In that really small sample size, it's notable he outdueled Dak Prescott, but  just box score scouting (since there's no film) I don't see anything that knocks me out of my seat.  Good performances again inferior teams, one good performance against ranked Mississippi St. and one blasé performance against ranked Arizona St.  

I was able to find his highlights from Houston and one of his entire games passing was included.  He went 31-33 and while I don't like to use highlights to form the basis of my opinion, but there's nothing else to go off of (including scouting reports).  Anyway, I thought he did look very good.  I didn't see a cannon of an arm, but he did complete one pass on a 50 yard throw that might've been broken up by a better defender, but I wasn't worried about a turnover.  His throws had some zip and he had touch on his passes for days.  It was hard not to notice that he got the football in places so his receiver could make a play, though, admittedly, I did see one such throw that I think he under threw a bit.  Not a big deal and his WR made the play, just noting it anyway.  His footwork was a lot better than I expected it to be coming from Texas A&M and transferring - missing out on the 2016 season - to Houston.  His off-platform throws need to improve because his feet looked awkward at times.  I like his throwing motion; it's compact and his release is fluid and quick.  With a small sample size to go off of, it's difficult to see what his bad plays are to know what kind of prospect you're getting if his bad days are the norm or its somewhere in between.  Oh, and he is kinda fast and shifty.  Like it completely caught me off guard when I saw it.

But overall, I'm glad you introduced me to Kyle Allen, and I'll be keeping an eye on where he goes.  I don't think he will come onto any roster and immediately challenge for a starting role, but I don't think it's crazy to think he couldn't have some sort of career trajectory like Case Keenum or Nick Foles.  One of those preferred backups that are quality starters if called upon in a pinch.  I wouldn't count on anything above that, but I'm just a guy who watches tape, I don't do this for a living.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

{snip good take}

But overall, I'm glad you introduced me to Kyle Allen, and I'll be keeping an eye on where he goes.  I don't think he will come onto any roster and immediately challenge for a starting role, but I don't think it's crazy to think he couldn't have some sort of career trajectory like Case Keenum or Nick Foles.  One of those preferred backups that are quality starters if called upon in a pinch.  I wouldn't count on anything above that, but I'm just a guy who watches tape, I don't do this for a living.   

I heard Jordan Palmer on radio talking about Sam and Josh, and the he also was working with another guy he liked a lot - Kyle Allen.  Allen felt he was getting situations that coudn't  / didn't show off his capability, so he went eligible and and joined the big 2 in workouts to show he belonged.  So he has that too.  I was wondering if we cant talk folks here (or Ballard!  lol) into spending a 3rd or 4th if they slip on a Mike White, or Lauletta etc... then could we get this guy in 6th or 7th? If he goes undrafted, we should get him as UDFA to compete for QB3 and take throws in pre-season, especially if Luck doesn't progress as well as we all hope.

29 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I heard Jordan Palmer on radio talking about Sam and Josh, and the he also was working with another guy he liked a lot - Kyle Allen.  Allen felt he was getting situations that coudn't  / didn't show off his capability, so he went eligible and and joined the big 2 in workouts to show he belonged.  So he has that too.  I was wondering if we cant talk folks here (or Ballard!  lol) into spending a 3rd or 4th if they slip on a Mike White, or Lauletta etc... then could we get this guy in 6th or 7th? If he goes undrafted, we should get him as UDFA to compete for QB3 and take throws in pre-season, especially if Luck doesn't progress as well as we all hope.

Yeah I don't honestly know where he winds up and it's really hard to say.  There's not much out there, he has a small sample size of 15 career starts, and based on that it seems he's written off by most of the websites I've looked into, including NFL Network and PFF.  Not to mention it is a pretty stacked QB class, it's just naturally easy to overlook him.  If I were to guess, one of the handful of teams that worked out with him and liked what tehy saw might take a late round flier on him, but there were scouts and/or coaches representing all 50 teams at the TA&M pro day where Allen was said to have looked sharp.  I just don't know.  At the very least he should be a priority free agent, but it's possible he could go as early as the 6th round.

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah I don't honestly know where he winds up and it's really hard to say.  There's not much out there, he has a small sample size of 15 career starts, and based on that it seems he's written off by most of the websites I've looked into, including NFL Network and PFF.  Not to mention it is a pretty stacked QB class, it's just naturally easy to overlook him.  If I were to guess, one of the handful of teams that worked out with him and liked what tehy saw might take a late round flier on him, but there were scouts and/or coaches representing all 50 teams at the TA&M pro day where Allen was said to have looked sharp.  I just don't know.  At the very least he should be a priority free agent, but it's possible he could go as early as the 6th round.

OK, got 2 more late round or UDFA QB possibilities... If you (or someone else) doesn't mind-

Alex McGough :   FIU

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/2/23/17042660/nfl-draft-2018-q-a-fiu-pathers-quarterback-qb-alex-mcgough-ron-turner-butch-davis

Tanner Lee - Nebraska

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-nfl-draft-tanner-lee-pro-potential

I'm the guy that has been, and always will beat the table for a decent backup QB.  Especially since Luck is not a sure thing to return (and to form) right now.  JB needs backup too.  Let's see if Kaaya can beat any of these guys out in spring training...

Also, I know you like the whole draft, but intrigued with little known, later round folk, yes?

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

OK, got 2 more late round or UDFA QB possibilities... If you (or someone else) doesn't mind-

Alex McGough :   FIU

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/2/23/17042660/nfl-draft-2018-q-a-fiu-pathers-quarterback-qb-alex-mcgough-ron-turner-butch-davis

Tanner Lee - Nebraska

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-nfl-draft-tanner-lee-pro-potential

I'm the guy that has been, and always will beat the table for a decent backup QB.  Especially since Luck is not a sure thing to return (and to form) right now.  JB needs backup too.  Let's see if Kaaya can beat any of these guys out in spring training...

Also, I know you like the whole draft, but intrigued with little known, later round folk, yes?

I will investigate tomorrow. I'm with you on the need to look for a backup, and I want to look a little more because youve made me curious.

On 4/24/2018 at 6:25 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

I guess we will know a lot more in a couple days when Dave Gettleman has to make his pick.

In addition, Tony Pauline compiled 35 mock boards of 'experts' and the consensus best QB was Josh Rosen.  So you are in with that crowd, not a bad spot too.

Ya I just think Darnold will struggle with turnovers, Allen will struggle with consistency. While Rosen may not put up impressive numbers each week, I think he will at least be a decent game manager. He’s safe with the ball, played in a pro style offense, has a good arm, and makes good decisions.

55 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Ya I just think Darnold will struggle with turnovers, Allen will struggle with consistency. While Rosen may not put up impressive numbers each week, I think he will at least be a decent game manager. He’s safe with the ball, played in a pro style offense, has a good arm, and makes good decisions.

I think Allen sits wherever he is taken (likely the Browns!!).  He needs the time behind a pro QB before being thrown out there.  But I feel this guys does eventually reach his high ceiling.