Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Preferred, Possible Alternative, and IF

I believe our draft theme will be linebacker-heavy and lucky for us, it is a great year to need them. It will not surprise me if we take 3 linebackers plus a couple of edge rushers in this draft. 

I also have a strong feeling that Courtland Sutton is high on our radar. His size and ability perfectly compliments TY. I think we are in a great position to grab him in the second round. I have been a fan of his for a couple of years now. Reuter recently mocked us moving up into the end of the first round to grab him (stole my thunder). I doubt we move up to get him, but I feel confident he is on our radar at 36 or 37. Sutton is the only repeater in each of the alternatives. 

I think we could (and should) also double up on offensive linemen as it fits both our needs and the strengths of this draft 

Overall, I believe we will attack this draft strengths, which lucky for us, happens to match our weaknesses. 

My Preferred Draft (If we stay at 6)
6. Quenton Nelson, INT-OL, Notre Dame
36. Lorenzo Carter, EDGE, Georgia
37. Courtland Sutton, WR, Southern Methodist
49. Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina State
67. Malik Jefferson, LB, Texas
104. Josh Adams, RB, Notre Dame
140. Joseph Noteboom, OT, Texas Christian
178. Christian Campbell, CB, Penn State
221. Nick DeLuca, LB, North Dakota State

Possible Alternative
6. Bradley Chubb, EDGE, NC State
36. James Daniels, INT-OL, Iowa
49. Geron Christian, OT, Louisville
67. Uchenna Nwosu, LB, Southern California
104. Jeff Holland, LB, Auburn
140. Kylie Fitts, EDGE, Utah
178. Taron Johnson, NICKEL, Weber State
221. Jack Cichy, LB, Wisconsin

And IF We Trade Back
12. Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
22. Connor Williams, OT, Texas
36. Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
49. Frank Ragnow, INT-OL, Arkansas
67. Josh Sweat, EDGE, Florida State
104. Deadrin Senat, INT-DL, South Florida
140. Genard Avery, LB, Memphis
178. J.C. Jackson, CB, Colorado
221. Christian Sam, LB, Arizona State

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, P'Son said:

We'll be trading back.

Possibly.

However, I think there is a good chance that 4 quarterbacks and a running back could go in the top 5. 

That would be a hell of a dilemma for us to be in, and the trade offers would subside. At that point Nelson or Chubb would make a lot of sense. 

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

With your preferred draft we take a RB with our 6th pick or none at all with your alternative but if we trade back we take one with our 3rd. pick?   Puzzling. 

Shouldn't be too puzzling. They are different alternatives. 

There is nothing set in stone that says we have to take a RB in this draft. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I believe our draft theme will be linebacker-heavy and lucky for us, it is a great year to need them. It will not surprise me if we take 3 linebackers plus a couple of edge rushers in this draft. 

I also have a strong feeling that Courtland Sutton is high on our radar. His size and ability perfectly compliments TY. I think we are in a great position to grab him in the second round. I have been a fan of his for a couple of years now. Reuter recently mocked us moving up into the end of the first round to grab him (stole my thunder). I doubt we move up to get him, but I feel confident he is on our radar at 36 or 37. Sutton is the only repeater in each of the alternatives. 

I think we could (and should) also double up on offensive linemen as it fits both our needs and the strengths of this draft 

Overall, I believe we will attack this draft strengths, which lucky for us, happens to match our weaknesses. 

My Preferred Draft (If we stay at 6)
6. Quenton Nelson, INT-OL, Notre Dame
36. Lorenzo Carter, EDGE, Georgia
49. Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina State
67. Malik Jefferson, LB, Texas
104. Josh Adams, RB, Notre Dame
140. Joseph Noteboom, OT, Texas Christian
178. Christian Campbell, CB, Penn State
221. Nick DeLuca, LB, North Dakota State

Possible Alternative
6. Bradley Chubb, EDGE, NC State
36. James Daniels, INT-OL, Iowa
49. Geron Christian, OT, Louisville
67. Uchenna Nwosu, LB, Southern California
104. Jeff Holland, LB, Auburn
140. Kylie Fitts, EDGE, Utah
178. Taron Johnson, NICKEL, Weber State
221. Jack Cichy, LB, Wisconsin

And IF We Trade Back
12. Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
22. Connor Williams, OT, Texas
36. Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
49. Frank Ragnow, INT-OL, Arkansas
67. Josh Sweat, EDGE, Florida State
104. Deadrin Senat, INT-DL, South Florida
140. Genard Avery, LB, Memphis
178. J.C. Jackson, CB, Colorado
221. Christian Sam, LB, Arizona State

Overall....

Very nice job done with some very creative thinking...

I think my favorite is your first...   covers all our needs in a realistic way....

I think your second version is my next favorite....

I think you third edition is the weakest for a variety of reasons...   I don't think there's much of a chance for Smith to last to 12....

i think if we trade with Buffalo Ballard lines someone ALMOST as much and thinks that player will last to12.    Or he loves someone else at 12 like Landry or Davenport.

The next four picks are all on offense and I don't see Ballard doing that for Eberflus. E is Ballard's hand-picked DC,  I don't see him hanging E out to dry by waiting until puck 67 to get the lion share if the defensive picks.

I see 5 or maybe even 6 picks going to defense...    perhaps that's why I love your first version so much!

All in all...   very nice job....

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, P'Son said:

We'll be trading back.

Let's hope not. When you have a chance to pick up a guy who is virtually guaranteed to be an instant starter and perennial Pro Bowler for years to come, you don't screw that up to get a couple of "pretty good" guys later in the first round, or a first and bunch of later picks. You're not going to fix this roster with one draft anyway, so stock it with the best talent you can get this year and move on. 

My preference is for them to take Nelson at #6 even if Chubb and Barkley are available. Nelson instantly makes the run game and the pass blocking better, and will go a long way toward keeping #12 alive and well. Sure, there will be some decent OL guys available later in the first, and on the second day, but Nelson is special.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarryTheCat said:

Let's hope not. When you have a chance to pick up a guy who is virtually guaranteed to be an instant starter and perennial Pro Bowler for years to come, you don't screw that up to get a couple of "pretty good" guys later in the first round, or a first and bunch of later picks. You're not going to fix this roster with one draft anyway, so stock it with the best talent you can get this year and move on. 

My preference is for them to take Nelson at #6 even if Chubb and Barkley are available. Nelson instantly makes the run game and the pass blocking better, and will go a long way toward keeping #12 alive and well. Sure, there will be some decent OL guys available later in the first, and on the second day, but Nelson is special.  

A guard can only be "so special" regardless of talent. Other positions can have break out performances that can decide the game. A guard; not so much. Just have a hard time with a guard at #6. 

5 hours ago, esmort said:

A guard can only be "so special" regardless of talent. Other positions can have break out performances that can decide the game. A guard; not so much. Just have a hard time with a guard at #6. 

if we do get nelson then we should find a running back that goes between the tackles too.  that combo could make a big impact on games together, and nelson could end up being lucks favorite team mate as well

im normally not crazy about guards this high, but we already traded back and we have to make protecting  the QB a top priority 

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

if we do get nelson then we should find a running back that goes between the tackles too.  that combo could make a big impact on games together, and nelson could end up being lucks favorite team mate as well

im normally not crazy about guards this high, but we already traded back and we have to make protecting  the QB a top priority 

I agree we need to address Oline and make it a priority... I just don't think Nelson will drastically improve overall OL performance so much more than a Wynn, Hernandez, etc... to justify the picking a guard at #6, vs a more valuable position #6 and a guard late 1st or early 2nd.