Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Ballard quotes on Brissett

Pilgrim

3 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/21/colts-remain-high-on-jacoby-brissett-have-turned-down-trades/

Not much we don't know here. What do y'all think? Are we trying to talk him up to increase the price, or are we keeping him?

I personally want to keep him, at least through this season.

They’ll keep him this year.  As long as Luck is healthy, they can trade him next year so they don’t have to sign him.  

Maybe get a third rounder for him, if he looks good in the preseason games. 

Brissett has value to the Colts....

He's the backup and he might even see game action in the regular season...

He's under contract for 2019, and the good news is the next QB draft class looks terrible.    So Jacoby's value to keep or trade next year goes up.   Way up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If we don't keep him, who is going to play QB if Luck is not ready. People seem to be assuming that Luck is starting week 1, remember last year? Brissett could end up starting a few...maybe (hopefully not) all the games for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

They’ll keep him this year.  As long as Luck is healthy, they can trade him next year so they don’t have to sign him.  

Maybe get a third rounder for him, if he looks good in the preseason games. 

A third rounder?   He was drafted as a third rounder and now he's started a full season of games for the most part. He has proven himself to be an NFL starter and he has shown he can win games even on a bad team.  Most third rounders can't say that.  Not to mention we traded a former 1st. rd. pick to get him and we have two offers already.  I think his stock has gone way up.  I think Ballard wants a one and was probably offered a two.  JMO.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I’m just happy Scott Tolzien is no longer here 

We could have a tackle d-ummy for the backup QB for all I care. Just don’t let it be Scott Tolzien 

So, Tolzien & tackle dummies mentioned in the same sentence is a travesty? I agree 100% it is. How dare football equipment get tarnished like that. lmao

I enjoyed that remark even as a Badgers Football alumni fan. Well said TK! You're a good man dude. :thmup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's under contract for 2019, and the good news is the next QB draft class looks terrible.    So Jacoby's value to keep or trade next year goes up.   Way up.

I was in a good mood until I read that. You're not wrong, I just wasn't in the mood for cold, hard truth today my friend. 

Just joking NCF! I always value your commentary that is accurate & needs to be said even if I don't wanna hear it. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

A third rounder?   He was drafted as a third rounder and now he's started a full season of games for the most part. He has proven himself to be an NFL starter and he has shown he can win games even on a bad team.  Most third rounders can't say that.  Not to mention we traded a former 1st. rd. pick to get him and we have two offers already.  I think his stock has gone way up.  I think Ballard wants a one and was probably offered a two.  JMO.

Well, first let me ask you what draft pick we could have got for Dorsett if it wasn’t for that trade.  Maybe a 5?  That’s probaby the best, and optimistic.  So rule that out when determining JBs value.  Where a person was drafted is meaningless the minute he puts on a uniform. Mingo is a good example.  

Now, we’re assuming Luck plays in 18 (or else we aren’t trading JB).  So the only time teams see him is during the preseason, or mop up.  I hope.

Do you really think a team is going to offer 1?  Garoppolo went for a 2 and he looked a lot better than Brissett had.  

Anyway, that’s how I look at it.  Not arguing, just given my logic.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

People seem to be assuming that Luck is starting week 1, remember last year?

Yes, I do Nj3. The point is why do so many fans think Luck is done simply because his rehab is taking longer than originally anticipated? He's not a old dog with bladder problems that needs to be euthanized. Patience. 

You're a fine person NJ3 & I get your point. Just hang in there & don't throw the baby out with bathwater just yet. 

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Yes, I do Nj3. The point is why do so many fans think Luck is done simply because his rehab is taking longer than originally anticipated? He's not a old dog with bladder problems that needs to be euthanized. Patience. 

You're a fine person NJ3 & I get your point. Just hang in there & don't throw the baby out with bathwater just yet. 

lol, thank you much appreciated, i don't want to think Luck is done, but it is not out of the realm of possibilities. I think after last years debacle i just find it hard to believe anything the organization tells us about Lucks injury. I will be happy when i see him start and finish a couple of games.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

lol, thank you much appreciated, i don't want to think Luck is done, but it is not out of the realm of possibilities. I think after last years debacle i just find it hard to believe anything the organization tells us about Lucks injury. I will be happy when i see him start and finish a couple of games.

That's a fair point NJ3. Even I can't dispute your valid point. Any update on Luck's health would be nice especially 1 long pass would make many fans feel better. Actions speak louder than words. I agree. They are. 

I know you're not rooting for Luck's failure. You just want an example with our own eyes that Chewbacca is gonna be okay. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/21/colts-remain-high-on-jacoby-brissett-have-turned-down-trades/

Not much we don't know here. What do y'all think? Are we trying to talk him up to increase the price, or are we keeping him?

We all saw the value of a backup QB last season.  No reason to get rid of him while so inexpensive.  I wouldn't even consider a trade for anything less than a high #2 at this point.

I would like to have him back after his rookie contract is up, but he may command some big coin, so he may be too expensive to re-sign.  He may also want to get out from under A-Luck if anyone offers him a possibility to start.  The future will be interesting on this subject, but for now we're in a good spot.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

"... might even see game action..."   I guarantee he'll see game action.  He'll be our starter.  Assuming Luck doesn't retire, he probably wont be healthy enough to play until after the bye,if at all. (I say he's done.)  However, if he were to be healthy, the Colts will probably have only one win (Bengals, if lucky) before the break.  At which point, it would make no sense to throw Luck in for the second half of the season to finish 4-12.  Better to let him rest and fully heal.  So, face it, he won't be playing this year and probably won't ever.

1 hour ago, onebad150 said:

So is Tolzien still on our roster or not? I assumed he was gone, if he is not gone why is he not gone. He has stolen enough reps from QB that could help us!

Yes, Tolzien is gone. He is currently a FA and my guess is unless someone’s QB situation becomes a disaster he’ll stay a FA 

He May get signed for preseason just to fill the roster then cut again. But I’m sure his playing days in terms of meaningful games are over. That boy stinks 

:scorebad: 

19 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

I would keep him he was solid at times last year I also think he fits this new offense better than the last one and if luck either doesn't play or gets hurt again we already have our new Quarterback.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, TKnight24 said:

I’m just happy Scott Tolzien is no longer here 

We could have a tackle d-ummy for the backup QB for all I care. Just don’t let it be Scott Tolzien 

Tolzien? I thought that was something you took to fight a runny nose.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 6:06 PM, Smonroe said:

Do you really think a team is going to offer 1?  Garoppolo went for a 2 and he looked a lot better than Brissett had.  

That was a different year and a different set of circumstances. The 49'ers would have been content to lose out last year and end up with a top 5 pick to draft a QB. This year is supposedly a good year for QB's in the draft. The 49'ers were also before the Jimmy G trade considered to be the favorites to sign Kirk Cousins. The 49'ers were trading from a position of strength in this deal. The Patriots had to make a move because they knew they weren't going to be able to resign him. The Patriots were supposedly offered the Browns 1st round pick that they received from the Texans for Jimmy G, but they chose to trade him out of the conference.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-reportedly-couldve-gotten-no-4-pick-in-2018-nfl-draft-for-jimmy-garoppolo/

That being said, I think it is well within the realm of possibility that the Colts could end up getting a 1st round pick for Jacoby Brissett. If he comes out and plays well during the preseason and Luck is healthy we could be in very good shape. I'm no draft expert but they are saying the 2019 draft class is not a very good one for QB's. Because of that, if JB plays well teams may be willing to deal for him instead ,of taking a chance on next year's QB choices. Of course we are a LONG way from the 2019 Draft so a lot could change between now and then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

Brissett isn't going anywhere unless a team gives up a first-round pick, which isn't happening.

Brissett isn't going anywhere this year. But he's only under contract through 2019, and probably gone after this season. If they keep him next year he either becomes a free agent in 2020 and they get nothing for him, or they have to re-sign him for more than he's getting on that rookie contract. Re-signing a guy who is destined to carry a clipboard and take a handful of snaps probably doesn't make a lot of sense unless he's willing to take a very team-friendly contract at a "backup" price. At this point, next year's QB draft class looks pretty thin, and Brissett's trade value as a stop-gap starter to a QB-desperate team is going to be as high as it's ever going to be. They won't get a first round pick for him, but they might get a young player plus a second- or third-rounder for him. 

2 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

That was a different year and a different set of circumstances. The 49'ers would have been content to lose out last year and end up with a top 5 pick to draft a QB. This year is supposedly a good year for QB's in the draft. The 49'ers were also before the Jimmy G trade considered to be the favorites to sign Kirk Cousins. The 49'ers were trading from a position of strength in this deal. The Patriots had to make a move because they knew they weren't going to be able to resign him. The Patriots were supposedly offered the Browns 1st round pick that they received from the Texans for Jimmy G, but they chose to trade him out of the conference.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-reportedly-couldve-gotten-no-4-pick-in-2018-nfl-draft-for-jimmy-garoppolo/

That being said, I think it is well within the realm of possibility that the Colts could end up getting a 1st round pick for Jacoby Brissett. If he comes out and plays well during the preseason and Luck is healthy we could be in very good shape. I'm no draft expert but they are saying the 2019 draft class is not a very good one for QB's. Because of that, if JB plays well teams may be willing to deal for him instead ,of taking a chance on next year's QB choices. Of course we are a LONG way from the 2019 Draft so a lot could change between now and then.

Hey, anything is possible.  Personally, I think a #1 is a lofty goal for him but clubs have known to be desperate.  We don't know how any of this years rookie QBs will work out.  As you said, it's too early to judge who's QB needy in 19.

Chances are, (and as history has shown us) at least one of the QB needy clubs this year will still have a need next year.  Whether anyone considers Jacoby to be a franchise guy or a bridge guy will determine his value.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Hey, anything is possible.  Personally, I think a #1 is a lofty goal for him but clubs have known to be desperate. 

i think the only way we get a first is if he ends up playing a lot this year and winning

if he plays a bunch it means we need him too, and luck is in question going forward

13 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i think the only way we get a first is if he ends up playing a lot this year and winning

if he plays a bunch it means we need him too, and luck is in question going forward

Right.  That was the assumption on trading JB.  If Luck is not healthy, we're not trading him.

On 4/21/2018 at 2:11 PM, Pilgrim said:

He looks like a really good player...and he probably will play more than half the season.

Brissett is our starting qb...we aren’t trading him. Until Luck is healthy Luck is holding the clipboard for Jacoby. It is what it is. Face the facts. Does that mean Andrew won’t be the starter again...no but we aren’t trading Jacoby until we have a better replacement or Luck has proven he can play. Luck could even get healthy enough to play but could never recover his form. Maybe he will suck...anything is possible...he likely won’t be the same qb that he was before the injury...that isn’t unbelievable. To me Luck has to win his job back.

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Brissett is our starting qb...we aren’t trading him. Until Luck is healthy Luck is holding the clipboard for Jacoby. It is what it is. Face the facts. Does that mean Andrew won’t be the starter again...no but we aren’t trading Jacoby until we have a better replacement or Luck has proven he can play. Luck could even get healthy enough to play but could never recover his form. Maybe he will suck...anything is possible...he likely won’t be the same qb that he was before the injury...that isn’t unbelievable. To me Luck has to win his job back.

While it is true that Luck may never be the same QB (let's hope that's not the case), unless JB is the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning and has the Colts just rolling, the job is Andrew's as soon as he is healthy enough to play again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

While it is true that Luck may never be the same QB (let's hope that's not the case), unless JB is the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning and has the Colts just rolling, the job is Andrew's as soon as he is healthy enough to play again.

Indeed...but the team can't just assume that Andrew is going to return and start week 1. They have to be ready to roll without him until he can show he can play. Even then they need a good back up encase he has set backs or gets banged up. Finally.....and yes hopefully not...we have to be prepared that the "OLD" Andrew Luck may never be again. I'm not trying to be a pessimist but just a realist....this is a major injury...and could be career threatening....perhaps not that he can't come back...but that he won't ever be the same qb when he does. Confidence, arm strength, accuracy, mechanics....just a lot that could change. We may never have that 2013 Andrew again...we have to face reality...and doing that means Jacoby is not going to be traded unless we have a better replacement lined up.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Indeed...but the team can't just assume that Andrew is going to return and start week 1. They have to be ready to roll without him until he can show he can play. Even then they need a good back up encase he has set backs or gets banged up. Finally.....and yes hopefully not...we have to be prepared that the "OLD" Andrew Luck may never be again. I'm not trying to be a pessimist but just a realist....this is a major injury...and could be career threatening....perhaps not that he can't come back...but that he won't ever be the same qb when he does. Confidence, arm strength, accuracy, mechanics....just a lot that could change. We may never have that 2013 Andrew again...we have to face reality...and doing that means Jacoby is not going to be traded unless we have a better replacement lined up.

None of us know for sure when Andrew will be back under center for the Colts so we definitely have to make sure we keep a quality backup QB. I think JB can be that guy for the Colts. I'm totally against moving JB until we've seen that Andrew Luck is back and a quality NFL QB again. Until then we need JB on this team.

• Like 1