Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

State of the 3 Linebackers - Draft

I have to admit, the announcement that Simon being moved to DE, was a bit of a surprise 

I had Simon penciled in at SSLB

He WAS our best player on defense last year......

It also means that we have THREE spots to fill at LB in the offseason

I have sort of been leaning toward taking Chubb the last week or so if he is available, but.... now....

I dont know ............. (Chub will already be gone by 6 I believe)

I dont see anyone on this team that can play (as a starter)... at LB.....  in the new faster, defense

Morrison has a chance to be SSLB, but he isnt fast.......  I dont see it

This is a BIG challenge

I think that we will need to get 2 of the three from the draft, and try to fill 3rd spot with a trade or FA pick up (there will be some still to be released in camp)

You may be one of those that say BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.........   I "sort of" agree

As the great philosopher, Bill Murray says..... "its more of a guidline, than a rule"

If BPA was a QB, we wouldnt go that way........   If the BPA was a kicker at round 1, we wouldnt go that way.... so the pure BPA choice, isnt reality,

more like BPA, within spots of most need

When you have the painful level of needs that this Colts team has........ you can do this, alittle easier

So......... mini mock draft here (No trade.......  I think its 50/50 at this point)

6th Edmunds MLB

36 -  Price G/C

37 -  Carlton Davis CB

49 - PENNY - RB

67- Malik Jefferson - OLB (WSLB)

100th - Brown OT (RT)  - I hope he lasts til 4th 

For 1 of my later picks, I would be picking up a bigger SS that I might try at WSLB (or keep as depth for our often injured SS) 

This approach puts the best MLB prospect in the draft on the Colts

It fills one of the guard spots that can also move to center if needed.... and dominates the DL person accross from him

Carlton Davis is PERFECT for the defense we want to play

Keep your fingers crossed, but this MIGHT yield .... might  6 starters  (I would be happy with 5)

Or I could be wrong :)

Deano

• Like 1

You get so used to seeing mock trades that the reality of "only" having six picks in the top 104 suddenly appears a bit paltry. 

I think all of your picks are solid, and getting Orlando Brown at pick 104 would be an unbelievable slide for him, even with that awful combine performance. While it could happen, I think he'll be gone by early round 3, if not sooner.

Missing in your draft is a WR. The Colts are so unbelievably thin at this *ition right now that I could see them grabbing one with at 2nd rounder, pushing the RB choice back into round 3 or 4. 

Good job overall, though. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hoose said:

You get so used to seeing mock trades that the reality of "only" having six picks in the top 104 suddenly appears a bit paltry. 

I think all of your picks are solid, and getting Orlando Brown at pick 104 would be an unbelievable slide for him, even with that awful combine performance. While it could happen, I think he'll be gone by early round 3, if not sooner.

Missing in your draft is a WR. The Colts are so unbelievably thin at this *ition right now that I could see them grabbing one with at 2nd rounder, pushing the RB choice back into round 3 or 4. 

Good job overall, though. 

You may be right on the WR, but the way I looked at it

Hilton is Pro bowl

Rogers is starting matierial

Ryan Grant isnt splashy, but when I wacthed his tape, he looks like a guy that should be on the field

In addition to these 3, we brought in another weapon in Ebron as well as a pass catching RB in Penny.

I felt these gave Luck some weapons

Going in to the draft we needed to

(In no order)

Upgrade the OL

Get some LBs (At least 2)

Get a 2nd CB

WR wasnt my personal list... this year

I would rather wait to get a WR superstar next year.  I dont see a true superstar this year at all

I dont want to draft a WR that is only marginally better than what we have.

I think we will be drafying 10-15 next year, which may yield an excellent WR.

This team, that will start possibly 5-6 rookies, will have enormous growth problems

Unfortunately, we should count on getting a good draft pick next year as well :(

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I have to admit, the announcement that Simon being moved to DE, was a bit of a surprise 

I have sort of been leaning toward taking Chubb the last week or so if he is available, but.... now....

I dont see anyone on this team that can play (as a starter)... at LB.....  in the new faster, defense

This is a BIG challenge

I think that we will need to get 2 of the three from the draft, and try to fill 3rd spot with a trade or FA pick up (there will be some still to be released in camp)

You may be one of those that say BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.........   I "sort of" agree

As the great philosopher, Bill Murray says..... "its more of a guidline, than a rule"

If BPA was a QB, we wouldnt go that way........   If the BPA was a kicker at round 1, we wouldnt go that way.... so the pure BPA choice, isnt reality,

When you have the painful level of needs that this Colts team has........ you can do this, alittle easier

So......... mini mock draft here (No trade.......  I think its 50/50 at this point)

6th Edmunds MLB

36 -  Price G/C

37 -  Carlton Davis CB

49 - PENNY - RB

For 1 of my later picks, I would be picking up a bigger SS that I might try at WSLB (or keep as depth for our often injured SS) 

It fills one of the guard spots that can also move to center if needed.... and dominates the DL person accross from him

Keep your fingers crossed, but this MIGHT yield .... might  6 starters  (I would be happy with 5)

Deano

We need linebackers for sure. However, this is not a draft I would hope for.

If we stay at 6, we have to pick either Nelson or Chubb. If they're gone, we have to trade down IMO.

Price with a partly torn pec at 36.. Not entirely sure I would pull the trigger on that.

Wouldn't pick a CB at 37, and wouldn't pick Penny at 49.

Malik Jefferson wouldn't be bad. Plenty of upside there.

Orlando Brown - Wouldn't pick him. Full stop. I think he's going to get destroyed by NFL-calibre players. His lack of athleticism just won't work in the NFL.

I think there's a chance to grab Josey Jewell in the 4th round. That would be fine by me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CopenhagenColt said:

We need linebackers for sure. However, this is not a draft I would hope for.

If we stay at 6, we have to pick either Nelson or Chubb. If they're gone, we have to trade down IMO.

Price with a partly torn pec at 36.. Not entirely sure I would pull the trigger on that.

Wouldn't pick a CB at 37, and wouldn't pick Penny at 49.

Malik Jefferson wouldn't be bad. Plenty of upside there.

Orlando Brown - Wouldn't pick him. Full stop. I think he's going to get destroyed by NFL-calibre players. His lack of athleticism just won't work in the NFL.

I think there's a chance to grab Josey Jewell in the 4th round. That would be fine by me.

One thing for sure....... we will know shortly !

I imagine the Colts scouts and coaches are meeting non stop......  I would love to be a fly on the wall....... It may sound a little like the dialog on this board  :)

• Like 1

I think we’ll leave SAM alone this year with Simon and Walker there.  Going into the draft, Najee Goode is the starter at Mike, and Jeremiah George starts at Will. We need to get starters at both the latter spots in the draft, though I think George is a good sleeper for us.

The guy I really want is Darius Leonard, who would fit either of those spots.  Roquon would fit the Will particularly well (if Chubb is gone).  And guys like Shaquem Griffin and Orem Burks would be good mid round options.  I’d also have to seriously consider Rashaan Evans at Mike if he fell to us in the 2nd...

38 minutes ago, Archer said:

I think we’ll leave SAM alone this year with Simon and Walker there.  Going into the draft, Najee Goode is the starter at Mike, and Jeremiah George starts at Will. We need to get starters at both the latter spots in the draft, though I think George is a good sleeper for us.

The guy I really want is Darius Leonard, who would fit either of those spots.  Roquon would fit the Will particularly well (if Chubb is gone).  And guys like Shaquem Griffin and Orem Burks would be good mid round options.  I’d also have to seriously consider Rashaan Evans at Mike if he fell to us in the 2nd...

I honestly can't see Evans not being picked in the first round. If he's available at 36, it's a no-brainer. 

Darius Leonard would be fine in the third round.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Archer said:

In the pre-draft press conference they said Simon will play Right DE

7 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

We're drafting a wr in the second round book it

I really hope not

7 minutes ago, Archer said:

I thought they said Sheard was Right DE. Didn’t see the conference, but someone here quoted it as Sheard...

“Well, we’re going to play him at defensive end right now,” Ballard told reporters. “We’re going to play him at right end. Really at the end of the day, even in the 3-4, you’re still in a four-man front. It’s the difference of putting your hand in the ground or standing up. And John Simon played in the 4-3 at Ohio State so he’s done it before. Great effort, he’s strong. He’ll fit in.”

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/20/indianapolis-colts-john-simon-defensive-end-new-defense/

• Like 1

The position is definitely barren but this draft class is absolutely loaded with potential for off ball LBs, from the top to the bottom and the undrafted guys. I know they’re saying Simon is a DE, and I think that holds true to a degree, but if we run a similar scheme to Seattle I could see him playing the strong side OLB in base packages. He has plenty of experience in a two point stance and in their scheme the only coverage we’d be asking of him is to cover the flat. His primary responsibility would be to contain the outside run and throw in some blitzes. 

Then we have a few interesting bodies that will at the very least fill out some depth. Jeremiah George looked competent when he was thrust into the lineup and Jermaine Grace intrigues me as a possible WILL. Anthony Walker was another competent guy who could play MIKE and hopefully improve on a decent first year as a late round pick. Then we added Najee Goode who has barely started but you never know what an organizational change can do for a guy. Not saying I’m counting on any of these guys to be lights out or even start but there’s always potential with some of the dregs of the roster. Nobody expected Jerrell Freeman to come in from some CFL team and be a stud. Nobody thought Gary Brackett was gonna turn out to be what he did. 

In the draft I think we can count on Ballard to bring in two or three LBs and I hope the first one is Smith or Edmunds. After that there’s an absolute plethora of options. Vander Esch, Darius Leonard if he beefs up a little, Malik Jefferson, Skai Moore, Fred Warner, Tegray Scales, and possibly Jerome Baker but he’s gotta be taken late, any of those guys I think will go a long way into building a legit group of off ball LBs. 

My ideal scenario is to get Smith in the first after a slight trade down, hopefully get another pick that we can grab Vander Esch with, then grab Warner or Scales in the 4/5 round. 

TL;DR 

I ain’t too worried about the LBs. There will be growing pains, but that’s what the first year of a rebuild is to be expected. 

• Like 1

I’m not so sure the Colts need to draft a trio of LBs anymore. The mainly need a MLB with range, and a good Will. I think they go Edmunds or Smith round 1, and then rounds 2-4 draft Jefferson, Baker, Warner, or even Jewell. They csn probably look to Walker to start at Sam.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

This is a BIG challenge

6th Edmunds MLB

36 -  Price G/C

37 -  Carlton Davis CB

49 - PENNY - RB

Deano

Simon made a few splash plays last year but he was far from our best defensive player 3 sacks and a pick 6 doesn't garner you the best player on the defense I think that title would have been with Hooker before he tore his ACL but after it was Sheard's to lose.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CopenhagenColt said:

I honestly can't see Evans not being picked in the first round. If he's available at 36, it's a no-brainer. 

Darius Leonard would be fine in the third round.

If we don't go Edmunds Evans is a great pick in round 2

I think he is gone in the 20s in round 1

39 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Simon made a few splash plays last year but he was far from our best defensive player 3 sacks and a pick 6 doesn't garner you the best player on the defense I think that title would have been with Hooker before he tore his ACL but after it was Sheard's to lose.

I don't count Hooked as he played so few games.  Shepard had a decent year  but I personally felt Simon was the most consistent.  

We aren’t going to address all of our needs this offseason. CB set us up with the three additional second rounders and based on the rumors is looking to acquire more while still being in a great position to get one of the premium players (I’m hoping Roquan Smith is there). I believe I read somewhere that Dallas played in nickel around 75-80% of the time, therefore, there’s one less backer. There are a bunch of corners in this draft that would excel in the 2-4th round so that would address one need while saving some draft capitol. It looks like the linebackers drop off after the first so getting one in the first with a trade back would be my dream scenario. 

• Like 1