Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom House training vid. I see why Ballard said Luck would've had a setback by now

GusFring

10 minutes ago, GusFring said:

Seems like there is a lot of throwing movements without a football.

Agree, and for Luck, I think that that is key.  Arm strength can be built along with a new, better arm motion.  Luck says he will return better than he was before he got hurt. 

Kind of scary to think he will actually be able to throw a decent fade in the red zone.  Hopefully we'll have a big or two to go up and pull it in.d

Does anyone know if Luck has worked with House before?

16 minutes ago, GusFring said:

Seems like there is a lot of throwing movements without a football.

Yes.  Which why I think Ballard and company can say confidently that Luck will be back this year.  If there was going to be a set back like there was in the Fall, it would have happened by now.  It seems at one of the talking heads would have figured out by now that while not technically throwing a football, Luck is doing enough to approximate the movement to know that he is going to be OK.

I guess the panic is more sexy to talk about.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Agree, and for Luck, I think that that is key.  Arm strength can be built along with a new, better arm motion.  Luck says he will return better than he was before he got hurt. 

Kind of scary to think he will actually be able to throw a decent fade in the red zone.  Hopefully we'll have a big or two to go up and pull it in.d

Does anyone know if Luck has worked with House before?

I don't think he's worked with him in the past. He's in So Cal. Luck seemed to rehab in Indy last yr. 

Could be why we all noticed he seemed to be aiming the ball or throwing lasers at times. He was inconsistent in his throws. 

We see now he's probably been throwing with bad habits and mechanics for a while. 

11 hours ago, IinD said:

Could be why we all noticed he seemed to be aiming the ball or throwing lasers at times. He was inconsistent in his throws. 

We see now he's probably been throwing with bad habits and mechanics for a while. 

I agree but you have to account for his injuries as well.

The good news is, I don’t think we’ve seen the best of Andrew Luck.

I know some are concerned about him getting hurt again and that is part of football. But if they are going to quick release throws, that should cut back on a lot of contact.

• Like 2

What I really liked about that second Steve Delabar video is 2 fold in scope: 

1. I had no idea how important smaller weighed throwing balls were for working the back of the shoulder. At least now I have a sense of what Luck is actually doing & why. 

2. I love how pioneers in their field like Tom House discover breakthrus by pure serendipity or accident. The tennis racket thing & good shoulders. What are the odds that Tom doesn't watch tennis that fateful day & never gets that epiphany man? 

Sidenote: I wouldn't use Andy Dalton as a ringing endorsement of these MLB pitching methods personally. The Red Rifle hasn't exactly set the world on fire with his NFL play. He's decent; Hardly exceptional as the Bengals QB. 

We all remember the fear that Drew Brees might be done after his shoulder surgery & his release from the San Diego Chargers. His redemption story under House as well as his Bayou career is pretty darn remarkable. 1 hades of an endorsement card for singing House's praises as a teacher. WoW! 

I seriously thought the Purdue BoilerMakers HOF career was done. Love the guy & I never more happy to be wrong in my life. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I agree but you have to account for his injuries as well.

The good news is, I don’t think we’ve seen the best of Andrew Luck.

I know some are concerned about him getting hurt again and that is part of football. But if they are going to quick release throws, that should cut back on a lot of contact.

Just to expand on that, (we hoped at the time) Pep Hamilton should have been the answer to installing a quick throw offense like AL should of had since the beginning. 

Looking back, we really should have figured out a way to help him out a little more. Chud was a dud as well. Almost got Jacoby killed. 

I'm also hoping all this time has helped him heal mentally and physically from having to try and carry the team.

We need a healthy Andrew more then any pick in this draft. 

12 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i was never worried about him throwing, im worried about him taking hits

The fact that Tom mentioned the 4 second release clock in a QB's head makes me feel better about what Luck is being taught. Forget the long pass; Just play hot potato with the duke man. LOL! 

Oh yeah, & unlike HOF QB Brett Favre--Learn to throw the ball away once in awhile. Punting isn't the end of the world Chewbacca. 

12 hours ago, IinD said:

We see now he's probably been throwing with bad habits and mechanics for a while

Part of the bad mechanics thang is being the face of the franchise & knowing full well INDY is screwed if Luck isn't under center in regular season games my friend. Andrew pushed himself to give the Colts a fighting chance, had a setback, & I will never slam his drive to win for the horseshoe. 

His motivation was a noble one. I can't crucify him for that ever LD. I hear what you're saying, but the picture is an incomplete 1 for obvious reasons. 

Because I like you, I will give you my main pet peeve on Luck. Never tackle the DB on turnovers man. Just treat a pick like the secret service treats a shooter. Let the culprit go, get down, & stay intact & healthy please. Beyond that, I will always praise Andrew till I die. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Part of the bad mechanics thang is being the face of the franchise & knowing full well INDY is screwed if Luck isn't under center in regular season games my friend. Andrew pushed himself to give the Colts a fighting chance, had a setback, & I will never slam his drive to win for the horseshoe. 

His motivation was a noble one. I can't crucify him for that ever LD. I hear what you're saying, but the picture is an incomplete 1 for obvious reasons. 

Because I like you, I will give you my main pet peeve on Luck. Never tackle the DB on turnovers man. Just treat a pick like the secret service treats a shooter. Let the culprit go, get down, & stay intact & healthy please. Beyond that, I will always praise Andrew till I die. 

I pretty much agree with most of what you are saying but the part of INDY is screwed if Luck isn't under center. I am confident that Brissett under center is not doom and gloom. Even if Brissett is named the starter for one game or the season Frank Reich will have him ready to play. If he gets protection we will win games.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I pretty much agree with most of what you are saying but the part of INDY is screwed if Luck isn't under center. I am confident that Brissett under center is not doom and gloom. Even if Brissett is named the starter for one game or the season Frank Reich will have him ready to play. If he gets protection we will win games.

JB is a decent backup, but there is a pecking order for a reason CC1. Admittedly, JB is the best backup we have had since Matthew Hasselback. However, Frank had a lot more talent to work with on the Eagles roster then the Colts current configuration as it stands now. 

I'm cool with JB starting a couple of games if necessary, but a whole season not so much. JMO. 

Yes, I realize JB has played a season already as a starter for us & he has Bill Parcels as a mentor whom I like. But, I don't really wanna see a Jacoby encore performance actually. Will he improve? Sure, but ideally Luck needs to take the reins again for any chance at a successful season. Just being honest. Keeping it 100. 

15 hours ago, Aaron86 said:

That was cool

Given the Tom House observation about tennis players with good shoulders, I'd like to hear Andre Agassi & Steffi Graf comment on that. You know, whether or not 2 of the best tennis players to pick up a racket & win Wimbledon buy that revelation. They should since both their serves were next level ace great. 

I know Serena Williams is at the tennis plateau right now, but Andre & Steffi are still my favorite players that I grew up on as individual athletes on grass & clay. 

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

JB is a decent backup, but there is a pecking order for a reason CC1. Admittedly, JB is the best backup we have had since Matthew Hasselback. However, Frank had a lot more talent to work with on the Eagles roster then the Colts current configuration as it stands now. 

I'm cool with JB starting a couple of games if necessary, but a whole season not so much. JMO. 

Yes, I realize JB has played a season already as a starter for us & he has Bill Parcels as a mentor whom I like. But, I don't really wanna see a Jacoby encore performance actually. Will he improve? Sure, but ideally Luck needs to take the reins again for any chance at a successful season. Just being honest. Keeping it 100. 

Matt was a pretty good starter for his age and would have been even better had he had protection and didn't get injured.

Like I said, it's not all doom and gloom if Brissett has to take Luck's place.

Till we see what Luck is going to there is no use to think we can't survive without him. We have no choice one way or another.

Ballard traded for Brissett for a reason.

You don't think trading for Brissett was just for a back up roll when Ballard made the trade?  IMO it goes a little deeper than that.

12 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Yeah I can't question his toughness and dedication. I also would have a little extra talk with him about not tackling after int's and learn to curl up into the fetal position when the pocket starts to collapse. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IinD said:

Yeah I can't question his toughness and dedication. I also would have a little extra talk with him about not tackling after int's and learn to curl up into the fetal position when the pocket starts to collapse. 

I think having an ex QB as the head coach will help Andrew in that regards. Frank has to preach to Andrew to protect himself.

You know the defenders want to test his toughness every chance they get.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think having an ex QB as the head coach will help Andrew in that regards. Frank has to preach to Andrew to protect himself.

Makes you see how smart Peyton was. Live to play another down. 

I also think Frank will be better then Chuck was for Luck. He will have an understanding of what is going on at the position during a game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IinD said:

Good point LD. Peyton was really good at knowing when the down or battle is lost & just live to fight another down. RW from Seattle knows that lesson well too. 

I wish Luck would realize that our fanbase doesn't expect him to do everything. We know what he's working with or not working with actually roster wise. Part of it is Andrew's perfectionist nature just like Manning. I admire that attribute. I do, but sometimes the best move or play is to wave the white flag. I agree 100% LD

Yeah, that's a big one for me too. Never go after the turnover guy in the secondary ever unless it is in the SB as your team is mounting a comeback. That's really the toughest lesson to learn: Letting go. It just is. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Matt was a pretty good starter for his age and would have been even better had he had protection and didn't get injured.

Like I said, it's not all doom and gloom if Brissett has to take Luck's place.

Till we see what Luck is going to there is no use to think we can't survive without him. We have no choice one way or another.

Ballard traded for Brissett for a reason.

You don't think trading for Brissett was just for a back up roll when Ballard made the trade?  IMO it goes a little deeper than that.

Could Jacoby surprise me if called into emergency, hold down the fort action again? Sure. I don't wanna bank on that though. It's not that I'm anti JB. Maybe it's because I'm having flashbacks to Curtis Painter when #18 was out for the whole 2011 year & our record wasn't pretty. Then, our former GM Bill Polian finally admits that Painter couldn't carry the load & he miscalculated. Yeah, I know a new GM & HC doesn't mean history will repeat itself but still. 

I guess the fact that Ballard has declined offers to move on from Brissett means something--A vote of confidence. Let's just hope it's not like expressing public confidence in a coach months before an owner fires him though. Just joking! 

I like the kid, but the NFL is a results business & I wanna win regardless of who is out there. It is a smart move by Ballard to keep him. However, if JB was consistently above average BB would have never traded him to INDY either. I admire that you have that much faith in Jacoby CC1, but I don't. A few games yes, but another 16 game season? Not on your life. Sorry. 

I get the trade & retaining his services. I just don't have high hopes if JB is called into double duty again. I'm open to being dazzled & dumbfounded though. Because I like the kid, I will give JB that sliver of hope. It's only a sliver though. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Nice post here CC1. Very well said. You usually do--Write good commentary.

I didn't mean to come across as if this occurrence was some rare anomaly or something. Yeah I know, shut up while I'm ahead right? Open mouth; insert foot is what I'm known for when full sarcasm mode takes hold. haha

1 hour ago, IinD said:

Makes you see how smart Peyton was. Live to play another down. 

I also think Frank will be better then Chuck was for Luck. He will have an understanding of what is going on at the position during a game. 

Yeah, Peyton knew running with the duke was not his forte absolutely. I do miss some of his giraffe runs for TDs or 3rd down conversions though. Very entertaining. 

After what Frank did with Nick Foles in the SB, Reich's NFL street cred is through the roof man. If anybody can remold QB mechanics & hit the lottery, Frank can. Darn. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Nice post here CC1. Very well said. You usually do--Write good commentary.

I didn't mean to come across as if this occurrence was some rare anomaly or something. Yeah I know, shut up while I'm ahead right? Open mouth; insert foot is what I'm known for when full sarcasm mode takes hold. haha

Nah, I understood every point you was making. I am just a little more optimistic about it that's all. :applause: