Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF's 2018 live seven-round, all-analyst mock draft

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pffs-2018-live-seven-round-all-analyst-mock-draft

PFF's 2018 live seven-round, all-analyst mock draft

BY PFF ANALYSIS TEAM • APR 17, 2018

With the 2018 NFL Draft now just a touch over a week away, the Pro Football Focus analysis team makes a selection for all 256 picks, all seven rounds for every team. To accomplish this, we’ve buttigned each analyst a team (with the exception a couple of teams who share a GM). We’re making our picks for the first two rounds live and will ultimately reveal our selections for Rounds 3–7 on Wednesday of this week.

Be sure to follow all the action on Twitter (@PFF).

[Editor’s note: this mock draft is what our individual analysts would do if they were GM of each team and sees draft day trades that included this year’s picks and rumored players on the trading block only. This draft started before the transactions of Dez Bryant and C.J. Anderson as well as before the news of Reuben Foster’s rising legal troubles.]

6. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (FROM NEW YORK JETS)

Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa

As fun as Saquon Barkley promises to be, this pick was really one of three names: Quenton Nelson (the preference), Derwin James and Jackson. So by the time the pick arrived, it wasn’t really a choice so much as a last-man-standing. – Daniel Kelley, @danieltkelley

36. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

Two rounds in and the Colts saw their preferred offensive lineman go off the board barely before their pick twice. In lieu of a lineman worth a pick here, better to double down on the secondary. – Daniel Kelley, @danieltkelley

37. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Arden Key, edge, LSU

Key is a lottery ticket, even this early in the draft. He has the ceiling of an easy first-rounder, but there are enough worries there that he could legitimately never be an NFL starter. For this Colts team, the upside is well worth the risk. – Daniel Kelley, @danieltkelley

49. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (FROM NEW YORK JETS FROM SEATTLE)

Ronald Jones II, RB, USC

The plethora of available running backs in this year’s class meant that some guys started to slip, and Jones is among them. The Colts will still need to look hard at some offensive line help later in the draft, but with no obvious pick at the line here, the value for Jones – who immediately becomes the Colts’ starter – was far too great to ignore.– Daniel Kelley, @danieltkelley

67. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Tyrell Crosby, T, Oregon

In an ideal world, the Colts would have acquired offensive line help earlier in the draft than this, but there’s no sense in overpaying. This is the right slot for Crosby, who should immediately help a unit desperate for it. – Daniel Kelley, @danieltkelley

104. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Jerome Baker, LB, Ohio State

Adding Baker at linebacker addresses yet another hole left on one of the league’s worst rosters. – Daniel Kelley, @danieltkelley

140. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

DaeSean Hamilton, WR, Penn State

Hamilton is a good receiver, which the Colts need behind T.Y. Hilton and Ryan Grant, but he also brings in a good blocking game, with the fourth-highest WR blocking grade in the draft class. – Daniel Kelley, @danieltkelley

198. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (FROM NEW ENGLAND FROM LOS ANGELES RAMS)

Shaun Dion Hamilton, LB, Alabama

[Trade details: Indianapolis sends their Round 6 (No. 178 overall) in exchange for New England’s Round 6 (No. 198 overall), & Round 6 (No. 210 overall).]

If Hamilton hadn’t suffered two significant injuries in the last season-plus, he’d have gone much higher in this draft. Those injuries count, and could hurt his future prospects, but there is high reward here if he can stay healthy and show the skills he displayed alongside Reuben Foster in 2016. – Daniel Kelley, @danieltkelley

210. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (FROM NEW ENGLAND FROM OAKLAND) (COMPENSATORY)

Jacob Alsadek, G, Arizona

The Colts could go just about anywhere with this and their next pick, but given all the problems the offensive line has had for the last three or four forevers, let’s just load up there and hope quantity turns into quality. – Daniel Kelley, @danieltkelley

221. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Tuni Kanuch, G, BYU

See their sixth-round pick. Kanuch and Alsadek together don’t make one elite prospect, but they have strengths that could develop into some better blocking than the Colts have seen. – Daniel Kelley, @danieltkelley

Thoughts?

If we drafted Josh Jackson in round 1, I wouldn't take another corner in round 2. And even if I would want to, I'd rather have Isaiah Oliver or Carlton Davis over Mike Hughes.

I'm not feeling Arden Key at all. Too much baggage and I don't see the potential everybody else sees.

I like the Tyrell Crosby pick, Jerome Baker is a fast linebacker with decent coverage and good potential, and Daesean Hamilton is the second best route runner in the class behind Calvin Ridley imo.

If we could get Ronald Jones that low it would be great too. I think he is a first round prospect. 

Overall I see five difference makers in this draft for us so not bad at all.

PFF has its favorites indeed. Here are their boards in the previous two years in case you want to see who they liked and who they didn't like much:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-final-2016-pff-draft-board-top-250-nfl-prospects

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-final-pff-draft-board-top-250-prospects-of-2017

They have some pretty good hits. 

And here's their board for this year:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pff-draft-board-top-100-players-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

• Like 1

Ya know.... it's one thing for someone to post their scotch-soaked opinion on the Forum here and sound ridiculous... but PFFs mock draft is a plane crashing into a train wrecking into a car crashing into a dumpster fire.

Honestly.... would Grigson have even been capable of this nonsense?:facepalm:

• Like 2

On 4/21/2018 at 7:32 AM, stitches said:

Number 6 overall is too high for J. Jackson imo.  I like him, just not that high, maybe if the Colts trade back.  I do agree with their comment on S. Dion Hamilton,  if he can stay healthy he is a very good lb, but can he stay healthy?

• Like 1