Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Smartest plays of all time

chad72

Is the rule where you field a kickoff out of bounds still in place to get 40 yards? Or has it been changed? Can anyone tell me?

If it is, when Belichick and the Patriots or any other team test return units by kicking it to the 5 yard line, if it gets anywhere close to the sidelines, that is what I ask my return man to do.

On 4/20/2018 at 12:53 PM, Reality Check said:

This one was in 2003....the intentional safety... NE @ Denver....

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/id/1653659

Another example of how Belichick knew how to get an edge in close games. John Harbaugh's intentional safeties lately have been used in similar fashion too with the punter, including the SB.

Another one I loved is when Chip Kelly and the 49ers played the Saints. The Saints were in FG range but knowing Sean Payton, he always went for the TD till the clock has less than a handful of seconds. So, Chip Kelly literally told his CBs to all hold their wide out and pass catchers' jerseys, every single one of them were taken down, like an OL pancake block. Who were they going to call holding on? In Chip's mind, giving up an illegal contact 5 yard penalty is better than giving up 20-25 yards to Brees with the clock just allowing 1-2 plays.

I do wonder if someone has no timeouts and has 50 yards to go and a TD to win the game outright, and about 20 seconds to go, just keep holding and holding on defensive side before they get past the line of scrimmage if it is not a scrambling QB. 5 yard penalty, 5 seconds consumed, 5 yard penalty, 5 seconds consumed, 5 yard penalty, 5 seconds consumed, and it comes down to a Hail Mary then. They don't put back clock, just give you a first down, and time becomes your ally.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Is the rule where you field a kickoff out of bounds still in place to get 40 yards? Or has it been changed? Can anyone tell me?

If it is, when Belichick and the Patriots or any other team test return units by kicking it to the 5 yard line, if it gets anywhere close to the sidelines, that is what I ask my return man to do.

Best play in NFL history

E6A5EDCC-848F-42DD-A63F-78F543775DD0.jpeg

Ed Reed's pick of Peyton should be up there.. Can't remember what game but he lined up on the weakside and then right after the snap, turned (back towards QB) and ran to the MOF.. Peyton read that and almost right away threw it to the weakside WR (Wayne, iirc) running the go-route. Reed had anticipated that and without looking had ran back to the weakside and picked off Peyton.