Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CR91 Final Mock Draft

Ok guys this is my final mock draft that I believe will address all of our needs and yes I think we trade back.

Colts trade with the bears and get their 1st 2nd 4th and next years 3rd for our 1st and 49th pick

1. Roquan Smith LB Georgia

I honestly believe this is the top guy on the colts board once Chubb Barkley and Nelson are off the board which could happen. I also believe it is the biggest weakness on the team with the lack of depth and proven talent at our LBing Corp. I think Edmunds has more upside, but I believe Smith is the safer prospect.

2. Billy Price G Ohio State

Price getting hurt is a blessing for the colts as this allows the colts to go in a different direction with their first pick and still get Luck the the help he needs upfront.

2.Darius Leonard OLB South Carolina State

Excellent coverage skills and speed, flys all over the field with 114 tackles and 8.5 sacks

2. Donte Jackson CB LSU

Extremely fast CB with ideal coverage ability. Not the biggest corner, but can stay with wrs and play the ball.

3. Lorenzo Carter OLB Georgia

Yes im stretching here I know, but if he fell this would fix our LBing Corp with Leonard Smith Carter being able to develop together and give us the talent we need at LB.

4. Dante Pettis WR Washington

I've had Pettis in basically every mock so far and that won't change even with us getting Ryan Grant.

4. Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State

Very talented pass rusher playing sparingly behind guys like Bosa and Hubbard, but still productive. Could be a steal in the 4th

5.Greg Senat T Wagner

Small School prospect, but has the size and talent to make the jump in competition. 

6.Tre Flowers S Oklahoma State

6 3 200 pound safety that ran a 4.4 and 80 tackles last year. Can play the ball and get in position to make a play.

7.Antonio Callaway WR Florida

Put all his issues in the back burner because if he falls to the 7th round, then that is worth the gamble. The kid has 1st round talent if he can just put it together and stay out of trouble.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Leonard is not an early 2nd rounder

Callaway will go in the 4th

Carter won't be there in R3

Debatable, but I think he's worth it. I said it was a stretch. You never know what happens in a draft. Callaway has too many red flags to go that early

I like the first 5, very much, we would hopefully fix the LB issue

Overall, I love the mock, and this is a great opportunity, but what is Chicago's motivation to make a trade? 

They have their QB of the future already

They have a few holes and where they sit at 8, they have multple excellent prospects to choose from.

I dont see them trading up to get anyone on this board, which is the motivation...... I hope that I am wrong

I would consider taking a flyer on Orlando Brown in round 3........

He is NOT a LT in NFL, but the guy could, I believe, be an impact at RT 

14 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

After a quick thought, they MAY take a swing at Barkley, if he is available at our pick

Supposedly they are looking at trading their starting RB 

Barkley would be a great get for the Bears. And they would be jumping ahead of Tampa, who could also really use Barkley. I can see them making a move like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FalseStart said:

Smith is the only pick I agree with... Price is Mewhort 2.0... late 2nd or 3rd rounder...I like the trade with Chicago scenario.

And what's wrong with that? Mewhort is as good a G that colts have had since Jake Scott and Ryan Lilja

15 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Joe Ostman over Jaylon any day. Both should be available in 4th round. Read up on Ostman rq and see if you like him better. Already pur 18lbs. on since end of season.

Ostman is intriguing, but he's gonna get pushed around in the run game. He's also not the biggest guy either 

I have no problem with the players you've chosen.  I like all of them.

I'm just iffy on the trade itself.  I'm sure the trade value crunch app said that it was equal, but I would want more than swapping 1sts and 2nds and getting this year's 4th and next year's 3rd.  I'd rather keep our 2nd, continue to get their 2nd and next year's 3rd, and give them a 4th next year for balance compensation

Thus:

They get our #6 and next year's 4th round

We get their #8, #39, and next year's 3rd

...and we would wind up with a total of four picks in the 2nd round this year, and five overall in the top 50.

I agree with @MikeCurtis on his original point:  who would possibly be available at #6 that Chicago would covet so badly that they would want to jump ahead of Tampa to get him?  I really don't believe Barkley would fall that far.

But it was a good exercise in doing the "what if" anyway!

6 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I have no problem with the players you've chosen.  I like all of them.

I'm just iffy on the trade itself.  I'm sure the trade value crunch app said that it was equal, but I would want more than swapping 1sts and 2nds and getting this year's 4th and next year's 3rd.  I'd rather keep our 2nd, continue to get their 2nd and next year's 3rd, and give them a 4th next year for balance compensation

Thus:

They get our #6 and next year's 4th round

We get their #8, #39, and next year's 3rd

...and we would wind up with a total of four picks in the 2nd round this year, and five overall in the top 50.

I agree with @MikeCurtis on his original point:  who would possibly be available at #6 that Chicago would covet so badly that they would want to jump ahead of Tampa to get him?  I really don't believe Barkley would fall that far.

But it was a good exercise in doing the "what if" anyway!

I think the trade is fair. We'd get to move up 10 spots in the second and we get two extra picks. Barkley wasnt who I was thinking. This is if Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson are off the board. I was thinking more for Minkah Fitzpatrick. There is a lot of interest from the bucs for him as well as Barkley

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

And what's wrong with that? Mewhort is as good a G that colts have had since Jake Scott and Ryan Lilja

Nothing wrong with it...but there are better players in positions of need at the top of the 2nd.  Price in the 3rd. Absolutely.  Top of the second. Nope. IMO

21 minutes ago, FalseStart said:

Nothing wrong with it...but there are better players in positions of need at the top of the 2nd.  Price in the 3rd. Absolutely.  Top of the second. Nope. IMO

No way Price falls to the third. Price would have went in the first if he didn't get hurt. 

Couple things here:

-Swap the Jackson pick with a different CB. Ballard doesn’t like small CBs. Wilson, Hairston, Desir, and Acker are all Ballard acquisitions, and they are all 6’0” ft or taller.

-Carter is an edge rusher best suited for a 3-4 OLB role, not an off-ball LB role.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Couple things here:

-Swap the Jackson pick with a different CB. Ballard doesn’t like small CBs. Wilson, Hairston, Desir, and Acker are all Ballard acquisitions, and they are all 6’0” ft or taller.

-Carter is an edge rusher best suited for a 3-4 OLB role, not an off-ball LB role.

That was before we switched from man to zone.

He's not the best pass rusher, but he can set the edge and run down plays

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That was before we switched from man to zone.

He's not the best pass rusher, but he can set the edge and run down plays

Zone won’t change his preference. Acker was just signed a week ago and he still fits that mold. Zone doesn’t mean that you have to have smaller 4.3 corners

18 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Zone won’t change his preference. Acker was just signed a week ago and he still fits that mold. Zone doesn’t mean that you have to have smaller 4.3 corners

Zone usually means smaller faster corners. Look at all the corners we had back at the Tampa 2 days, but Carlton Davis could work too if Ballard wants to stick to big corners

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Zone usually means smaller faster corners. Look at all the corners we had back at the Tampa 2 days, but Carlton Davis could work too if Ballard wants to stick to big corners

Not necessarily. You just need a CB with the skills for it. People forget that Sherman was a zone corner who only ran a 4.56. Josh Jackson is a zone CB who is tall and has average speed.

13 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not necessarily. You just need a CB with the skills for it. People forget that Sherman was a zone corner who only ran a 4.56. Josh Jackson is a zone CB who is tall and has average speed.

That is just one example. Look at the majority of teams that run a Tampa 2 like zone coverages

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That is just one example. Look at the majority of teams that run a Tampa 2 like zone coverages

The Seahawks in general is an example. The Panthers run that scheme as well. They have let some guys go as of late but they’ve had/have Josh Norman, James Bradberry, and Daryl Worley. All bigger corners.

3 hours ago, FalseStart said:

I am seeing a few mocks with Price taken at the end of round 1.......

I think thats early but fully doubt the guy lasts even midway through 2nd

Price is a mauler, who doesnt give up sacks......

We need that.... badly (And so do others...... )

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Seahawks in general is an example. The Panthers run that scheme as well. They have let some guys go as of late but they’ve had/have Josh Norman, James Bradberry, and Daryl Worley. All bigger corners.

Bucs corners were all under 6 foot as was Tim Jennings, Kelvin Hayden, and Nick Harper. Again if the colts want to stick to bigger corners, then Davis will be available, but I think Jackson is better

Not my favorite mock but I could live with it. My take on your mock:

1. Roquan Smith ILB- I'm on board here. Fits a big need and has All-Pro upside.

2. Billy Price OG/C- I'm on board here. Injury will probably slide him here. Fits a need and he's a very good player with great interior versatility.

2. Darius Leonard OLB- I'm on board here. Ideally we would be able to land him a little later but I could live with the selection at this spot. He answered any questions about playing with the big boys during his outstanding Senior Bowl week performance. I see him as a three down linebacker with Telvin Smith as a player comparison.

2 .Donte Jackson CB- I'm on the fence here. Extremely athletic but undersized in terms of weight at the NFL level. I see him as more of a nickel than a true No.1 or No.2 corner (Most teams are in a nickel package most of the time anyways these days, so not necessarily a big knock). 

3. Lorenzo Carter OLB- I'm on the fence here. Kind of a boom/bust guy to me. Never really lived up to his 5-star rating coming out of HS. I do like his upside but I think he will need the right situation to bring it out of him. Some scouts seem to think he could play OLB in a 3-4 or a 4-3 but I can't say with confidence were his best fit is.

4. Jalyn Holmes DE- Not on board here. I can't see him being an effective 4-3 DE in the league. Very limited as a pass rusher from the outside. I think his best bet is too add 20-30lbs. and move inside to DT.

4. Dante Pettis WR- I'm on board here. I can see him as an effective slot receiver or No.2 WR. Seemed like he was banged up a lot but was productive when on the field.

5. Greg Senat OT- I'm on the fence here. Seems like a big project/developmental type player to me so a round later would have been nicer. Limited football experience but has upside. Will have time to develop so he could pay off.

6. Tre Flowers S- I'm on the fence here. Has good bloodlines but I see him as a special teams player mostly. I don't see him contributing much at the S position at the next level.

7. Antonio Callaway WR- I'm on board here!. Although I highly doubt he'll be available in the 7th round, I love the pick. This being a weaker WR class at the top, I think Callaway would have been one of the first WR of the board if he didn't have some many character red flags.

20 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Possibly, but I believe his better position would be WILL given that he struggles mightily to get off blocks. WILL would allow him to be a better playmaker IMO.

If he gains 20-25 pounds of muscle, he can play inside. I think hes currently weights 225 pounds

26 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Not my favorite mock but I could live with it. My take on your mock:

1. Roquan Smith ILB- I'm on board here. Fits a big need and has All-Pro upside.

2. Billy Price OG/C- I'm on board here. Injury will probably slide him here. Fits a need and he's a very good player with great interior versatility.

2. Darius Leonard OLB- I'm on board here. Ideally we would be able to land him a little later but I could live with the selection at this spot. He answered any questions about playing with the big boys during his outstanding Senior Bowl week performance. I see him as a three down linebacker with Telvin Smith as a player comparison.

2 .Donte Jackson CB- I'm on the fence here. Extremely athletic but undersized in terms of weight at the NFL level. I see him as more of a nickel than a true No.1 or No.2 corner (Most teams are in a nickel package most of the time anyways these days, so not necessarily a big knock). 

3. Lorenzo Carter OLB- I'm on the fence here. Kind of a boom/bust guy to me. Never really lived up to his 5-star rating coming out of HS. I do like his upside but I think he will need the right situation to bring it out of him. Some scouts seem to think he could play OLB in a 3-4 or a 4-3 but I can't say with confidence were his best fit is.

4. Jalyn Holmes DE- Not on board here. I can't see him being an effective 4-3 DE in the league. Very limited as a pass rusher from the outside. I think his best bet is too add 20-30lbs. and move inside to DT.

4. Dante Pettis WR- I'm on board here. I can see him as an effective slot receiver or No.2 WR. Seemed like he was banged up a lot but was productive when on the field.

5. Greg Senat OT- I'm on the fence here. Seems like a big project/developmental type player to me so a round later would have been nicer. Limited football experience but has upside. Will have time to develop so he could pay off.

6. Tre Flowers S- I'm on the fence here. Has good bloodlines but I see him as a special teams player mostly. I don't see him contributing much at the S position at the next level.

7. Antonio Callaway WR- I'm on board here!. Although I highly doubt he'll be available in the 7th round, I love the pick. This being a weaker WR class at the top, I think Callaway would have been one of the first WR of the board if he didn't have some many character red flags.

I appreciate your insight on my mock. Yes Jackson is undersized, but he has the speed and ball skills to play inside or outside. True Carter hasn't lived up to the hype, but it would be great value at the third round. Holmes never had the playing time because of playing being Bosa and Hubbard, but he is a skilled pass rusher. Senat is a project, but so are most 5th round picks. We dont need Flowers to be a starter, just depth and ST mostly. imo, Callaway is off a lot of teams boards because of his background. Getting him the 7th is not unheard of. Some even think he will go undrafted.

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

If he gains 20-25 pounds of muscle, he can play inside. I think hes currently weights 225 pounds

Thats quite a lot of weight to gain. It's not that easy. At the combine he weighed around 235 I think. He can play inside in the sub package day 1, I just think WILL suits his skillset best. Simliar to Telvin Smith and Lavonte David, allow him to be a see ball, get ball run and chase playef.

27 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Thats quite a lot of weight to gain. It's not that easy. At the combine he weighed around 235 I think. He can play inside in the sub package day 1, I just think WILL suits his skillset best. Simliar to Telvin Smith and Lavonte David, allow him to be a see ball, get ball run and chase playef.

If he's up to 235 already, then he just needs another 10 pounds. 

22 hours ago, CR91 said:

Ostman is intriguing, but he's gonna get pushed around in the run game. He's also not the biggest guy either 

4th round guy that will get you 10+ sacks, watch his highlights and look at his combine and he's a gym rat also. I think he benchpressed 30x's. 

On 4/16/2018 at 7:55 AM, Matabix said:

4th round guy that will get you 10+ sacks, watch his highlights and look at his combine and he's a gym rat also. I think he benchpressed 30x's. 

He's still undersized. He's not gonna hold up in the run game. I wouldn't be mad about taking him. I just think Holmes has the size and potential to excel when given the chance

• Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 9:57 PM, CR91 said:

Ok guys this is my final mock draft that I believe will address all of our needs and yes I think we trade back.

Colts trade with the bears and get their 1st 2nd 4th and next years 3rd for our 1st and 49th pick

1. Roquan Smith LB Georgia

I honestly believe this is the top guy on the colts board once Chubb Barkley and Nelson are off the board which could happen. I also believe it is the biggest weakness on the team with the lack of depth and proven talent at our LBing Corp. I think Edmunds has more upside, but I believe Smith is the safer prospect.

2. Billy Price G Ohio State

Price getting hurt is a blessing for the colts as this allows the colts to go in a different direction with their first pick and still get Luck the the help he needs upfront.

2.Darius Leonard OLB South Carolina State

Excellent coverage skills and speed, flys all over the field with 114 tackles and 8.5 sacks

2. Donte Jackson CB LSU

Extremely fast CB with ideal coverage ability. Not the biggest corner, but can stay with wrs and play the ball.

3. Lorenzo Carter OLB Georgia

Yes im stretching here I know, but if he fell this would fix our LBing Corp with Leonard Smith Carter being able to develop together and give us the talent we need at LB.

4. Dante Pettis WR Washington

I've had Pettis in basically every mock so far and that won't change even with us getting Ryan Grant.

4. Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State

Very talented pass rusher playing sparingly behind guys like Bosa and Hubbard, but still productive. Could be a steal in the 4th

5.Greg Senat T Wagner

Small School prospect, but has the size and talent to make the jump in competition. 

6.Tre Flowers S Oklahoma State

6 3 200 pound safety that ran a 4.4 and 80 tackles last year. Can play the ball and get in position to make a play.

7.Antonio Callaway WR Florida

Put all his issues in the back burner because if he falls to the 7th round, then that is worth the gamble. The kid has 1st round talent if he can just put it together and stay out of trouble.

No running back?    At all?

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No running back?    At all?

Just don't see a need. I honestly think Mack can be our workhorse when given the opportunity. We also have depth with turbin, jones, and Michael

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Just don't see a need. I honestly think Mack can be our workhorse when given the opportunity. We also have depth with turbin, jones, and Michael

This foursome of RBs would likely be ranked 32nd in the NFL compared to everyone else.

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This foursome of RBs would likely be ranked 32nd in the NFL compared to everyone else.

Because Mack is unproven, but he did flash. He just needs an opportunity to be the main guy

Just now, CR91 said:

Because Mack is unproven, but he did flash. He just needs an opportunity to be the main guy

No...   it's not because Mack is unproven.   The problem is....   everyone else!

It's because Turbin is a situational guy.   Jones has a terrible fumbling problem.   We released Jones several times in December...   anyone could have claimed him and no one did.   And Michael is a big tease.   Everyone has taken him out on a date and everyone has let him go for one reason or another.   

In other words...   the other three guys are JAGS.   Just Another Guy.   Maybe they turn into something and maybe not.  But the odds are not great.

What happens to our running game if Mack gets hurt?    

This team is in desperate need of playmakers and we have another very good class of them.  We're going to take one.   The only question is which round?

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No...   it's not because Mack is unproven.   The problem is....   everyone else!

It's because Turbin is a situational guy.   Jones has a terrible fumbling problem.   We released Jones several times in December...   anyone could have claimed him and no one did.   And Michael is a big tease.   Everyone has taken him out on a date and everyone has let him go for one reason or another.   

In other words...   the other three guys are JAGS.   Just Another Guy.   Maybe they turn into something and maybe not.  But the odds are not great.

What happens to our running game if Mack gets hurt?    

This team is in desperate need of playmakers and we have another very good class of them.  We're going to take one.   The only question is which round?

You just want rashaad penny haha