Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Projected Colts Starters

CR91

With 12 days from the draft, lets take a front look at the obvious weaknesses on the team

Grant               Ebron AC Mewhort Kelly Slauson Haeg Doyle               Hilton

Luck

Mack

Sheard Anderson Woods Basham

Desir                      Good                 Walker                     Simon              Wilson

Hooker                                           Geathers

Just from the look at our potential starters we need help in multiple areas. Im gonna list it as either immediate or serviceable but can improve

Immediate

MLB/OLB- A lot will say oline, however we still have young talent that we can still groom. Looking at our LB corp and its clear we need a lot of help. Currently, we'd have walker and good starting and that scares me which tells me Roquan Smith is a top prospect on the colts board making sense why the colts might trade back again with say the bears. If you're wondering why I didn't mention edmunds, I think Smith is a safer prospect.

G/T- While I don't see this as big a need as LB, we do need better talent to protect Luck. Mewhort and Slauson are on prove it deals and Haeg nor Clark has prove to be the answer at T or G.

CB- Wilson and Desir could be a good answer at CB, however we don't know if either of them can be a CB1

Serviceable but can improve

WR- Weak point currently if we do go with Grant as our WR2, but not a big issue compared to the other areas of need. Luck does need more weapons though

Pass Rush-Sheard and Basham are not bad options, however Basham is unproven. Course 2 sacks and forced fumble is not bad for someone who played sparingly.

RB-Maybe I'm alone, but I don't have a problem having Mack as our starter, but pairing him with Barkley would take a lot of pressure off of Luck and defensives couldn't just blitz us on every down.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Has it been confirmed that Simon will play OLB rather than DE?

It's what I assume will happen. 6 1 250 is too small to play DE, but good for an OLB. Simon does not have the bend or speed freeney and mathis had to make it irrelevant 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

It's what I assume will happen. 6 1 250 is too small to play DE, but good for an OLB. Simon does not have the bend or speed freeney and mathis had to make it irrelevant 

He actually started out as a DT in high school and for OSU before he moved to DE.  

Not too many have the bend or speed of those two, but he’d be great at DE on passing downs.  

22 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He actually started out as a DT in high school and for OSU before he moved to DE.  

Not too many have the bend or speed of those two, but he’d be great at DE on passing downs.  

I also think it's a lack of depth at OLB as well. Simon hasn't played with his hand the dirt since OSU. Basham has always played with his hand in the dirt.

2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

If he can gain ten pounds of muscle or what not would be size of freeney roughly

It wasn't Freeney's 6-2 260 size that made him special.  It was his legitimate 4.4 receiver speed from the DE position that made him special despite his size.  Simon will not be comparable to Freeney if he puts on 10 pounds.  BTW, I like Simon, but I also do not think that he is a difference maker.  He's a good player that tries very hard.  I appreciate that.  But I also think he can be improved on.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

It wasn't Freeney's 6-2 260 size that made him special.  It was his legitimate 4.4 receiver speed from the DE position that made him special despite his size.  Simon will not be comparable to Freeney if he puts on 10 pounds.  BTW, I like Simon, but I also do not think that he is a difference maker.  He's a good player that tries very hard.  I appreciate that.  But I also think he can be improved on.

I was just meaning that size doesnt always matter that was what I was trying to get to by saying he was about Freeneys size

• Like 1

Here’s the projected starters:

QB: Luck

WR1: Hilton

WR2: Grant

WR3: Rookie

TE1: Doyle

TE2: Ebron 

RB1: Mack

RB2: Rookie

LT: Castonzo 

LG: Slauson

C: Kelly

RG: Rookie

RT: Rookie/Haeg

LDE: Sheard

RDE: Anderson/Rookie

DT: Rookie

WLB: Rookie

MLB: Rookie

SLB: Rookie

SS: Geathers/Farley 

FS: Hooker

LCB: Wilson

RCB: Acker 

Nickel CB: Hairston

49 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You expect us to start basically our entire draft?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You expect us to start basically our entire draft?

I’m being slightly facetious, but yes. You need 3 new starting LBs, a guard, a RT, and 1-2 DTs. Will that happen? Probably not. Can’t fix everything on one draft. But do I think we will see at least 3-4 rookie starters? Yes. Maybe not all week one guys but it’s clear from how FA went, that’s the plan.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m being slightly facetious, but yes. You need 3 new starting LBs, a guard, a RT, and 1-2 DTs. Will that happen? Probably not. Can’t fix everything on one draft. But do I think we will see at least 3-4 rookie starters? Yes. Maybe not all week one guys but it’s clear from how FA went, that’s the plan.

Well, hopefully Chicago, Miami or Buffalo is ready to give us a lot to move up to #6.  I feel like with a first rounder and 4-5 second rounders plus 3 third rounders we could bring in 3-4 guys to start off the bat...

However, I think we're OK on the DL with Anderson and Woods in the middle and Basham/Sheard/Hunt/Autry at DE (obviously, we could use some improvement and we don't know that Anderson will keep himself healthy, but I don't think we're too bad there.

I just really hope we give Luck the protection he needs to avoid being the most sacked QB in the league again...

Then many positions we are OK/Good in if we can stay healthy but seem to lack depth (e.g., safety should be very good, but Geathers and Hooker both have an injury history).  I think we should be OK at CB (though Desir and Wilson both had their share of injuries last year).  Even on OL, with Mewhort, Slauson and Kelly all healthy we are pretty good in the interior and solid at LT... but Mewhort Slauson and Kelly all have recent injury worries.

4 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Well, hopefully Chicago, Miami or Buffalo is ready to give us a lot to move up to #6.  I feel like with a first rounder and 4-5 second rounders plus 3 third rounders we could bring in 3-4 guys to start off the bat...

However, I think we're OK on the DL with Anderson and Woods in the middle and Basham/Sheard/Hunt/Autry at DE (obviously, we could use some improvement and we don't know that Anderson will keep himself healthy, but I don't think we're too bad there.

I just really hope we give Luck the protection he needs to avoid being the most sacked QB in the league again...

Then many positions we are OK/Good in if we can stay healthy but seem to lack depth (e.g., safety should be very good, but Geathers and Hooker both have an injury history).  I think we should be OK at CB (though Desir and Wilson both had their share of injuries last year).  Even on OL, with Mewhort, Slauson and Kelly all healthy we are pretty good in the interior and solid at LT... but Mewhort Slauson and Kelly all have recent injury worries.

There’s a bunch of question marks everywhere. Guys who we assume are going to step up and earn starter spots. And a lot of these guys aren’t Ballard guys. And he’s shown that he won’t hold on to Grigson’s guys. One of his first moves as GM was trading Allen. He also cut ties with the old players like D’Qwell and Cole, plus let Walden walk. He also cut Vontae Davis and traded Dorset still on his rookie deal.

We don’t know if Anderson will have a role on this team. We don’t know if he still sees woods as a fit. I mean he cut Jonathan Hankins a season after he signed him because he didn’t fit the new D. It may sound crazy but I think his plan is to gut the roster of anything Grigson with the exception of Luck, Hilton, Castonzo, Kelly, and Doyle and bring In all his own players. Don’t be surprised to see most of the starters be first or 2nd year players. 

11 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm assuming there's a joke here involved that I don't understand?

Otherwise,  I'm at a loss to understand your list here....

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm assuming there's a joke here involved that I don't understand?

Otherwise,  I'm at a loss to understand your list here....

Yeah the joke was that the Colts are going start a bunch of rookies lol. That list wasn’t 100% serious. We’re not starting 8+ rookies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah the joke was that the Colts are going start a bunch of rookies lol. That list wasn’t 100% serious. We’re not starting 8+ rookies. 

But we may have 3 (MLB, OG, DE) start and 4 that are getting heavy rotation.

I don't think the roster is as dire as some like to make out.  Put Luck on last years team and it's competitive, probably 8-8.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

But we may have 3 (MLB, OG, DE) start and 4 that are getting heavy rotation.

I don't think the roster is as dire as some like to make out.  Put Luck on last years team and it's competitive, probably 8-8.

I think the big thing is health and depth.... we only have a few glaring holes (ILB is the biggest one in my opinion) and we don't know how some young guys will develop (on the OL, Haeg, Goode, Clark have all showed flashes but have been inconsistent.... on DL, Ridgeway and Stewart have shown flashes as well... at WR, it'd be nice to have someone to be a true #2/1a to TY but Rogers and Grant may well be up for it, especially if we are running lots of 2 TE sets and Ebron and Doyel do well).  Our secondary has potential to be very, very good (if healthy).

A fully healthy Luck plus heath around the rest of the roster and this team is only a handful of additions away from contending for AFC South again.

• Like 1

Here's my shot

QB - Luck, Brissett

RB - Mack, Jones, Rookie

WR - Hilton, Rogers

WR - Rookie, Grant, Hogan

TE - Doyle, Swoope

TE - Ebron, Ross

LT - Castonzo, Clark

LG - Slausen, Glowinski

C - Kelly

RG - Rookie, Mewhort

RT - Good, Haeg

FS - Hooker, Green

SS - Geathers, Farley

CB - Wilson, Hairston, Acker

CB - Desir, Rookie, Moore

WILL - Rookie, Grace

MIKE - Walker, Rookie

SAM - Simon, Morrison, Rookie

DE - Basham, Rookie

UT - Anderson, Rookie, Johnson

DT - Stewart, Ridgeway

DE - Sheard, Autry, Rookie

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Here's my shot

QB - Luck, Brissett

RB - Mack, Jones, Rookie

WR - Hilton, Rogers

WR - Rookie, Grant, Hogan

TE - Doyle, Swoope

TE - Ebron, Ross

LT - Castonzo, Clark

LG - Slausen, Glowinski

C - Kelly

RG - Rookie, Mewhort

RT - Good, Haeg

FS - Hooker, Green

SS - Geathers, Farley

CB - Wilson, Hairston, Acker

CB - Desir, Rookie, Moore

WILL - Rookie, Grace

MIKE - Walker, Rookie

SAM - Simon, Morrison, Rookie

DE - Basham, Rookie

UT - Anderson, Rookie, Johnson

DT - Stewart, Ridgeway

DE - Sheard, Autry, Rookie

I think this is pretty close to the way it will all end up. I think there will end up being 2 rookie WRs... One drafted, one undrafted rookie who makes the team.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets look at the new projected starters after the draft and some notes

Grant               Ebron AC Nelson Kelly Mewhort Haeg Doyle               Hilton

Luck

Mack

Sheard Stewart Woods Simon

Desir       Adams/Good                 Walker/Franklin                     Leonard              Wilson

-Grant will still start imo after drafting fountain and cain. They will compete with rogers for wr3 and wr4

-Hines will be our 3rd down back with Mack and Wilkins sharing carries along with turbin for short yardage.

-Nelson will be our plug in starter next to AC and Kelly with Mewhort moving to RG to help Haeg. I think Smith and Slauson will be first off the bench if we have any injuries. If Mewhort can't prove to stay healthy then I expect smith to be our starting G next year.

-With Anderson traded, I think its stewart's job to lose with ridgeway and Lewis subbing in on passing situations. Basham autry and turay will be our main pass rushers after shread and simon. 

- Our LBer postions are really interesting. Leonard is the only sure starter at will and then we'll have a lot of compeition for sam and mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Grant               Ebron AC Nelson Kelly Mewhort Haeg Doyle               Hilton

Luck

Mack

Desir       Adams/Good                 Walker/Franklin                     Leonard              Wilson

-Grant will still start imo after drafting fountain and cain. They will compete with rogers for wr3 and wr4

-Hines will be our 3rd down back with Mack and Wilkins sharing carries along with turbin for short yardage.

-Nelson will be our plug in starter next to AC and Kelly with Mewhort moving to RG to help Haeg. I think Smith and Slauson will be first off the bench if we have any injuries. If Mewhort can't prove to stay healthy then I expect smith to be our starting G next year.

-With Anderson traded, I think its stewart's job to lose with ridgeway and Lewis subbing in on passing situations. Basham autry and turay will be our main pass rushers after shread and simon. 

- Our LBer postions are really interesting. Leonard is the only sure starter at will and then we'll have a lot of compeition for sam and mike

Barring any additional FA signings, I think you're absolutely correct. I think Stewart could surprise a lot of people. He wasn't a scheme fit last year, but the 4-3 is perfect for him. I can see him creating a lot of pressure up the middle and keeping QB's from being able to step up in the pocket to avoid the outside pass rush.

• Like 1

Hard to guess how the LBs will line up.  My guess is:

SAM:  Walker, Morrison, Sankey

Mike: Goode, George, Franklin

Will: Leonard, Adams, Grace

Jeremiah George is our only decent returning ILB from last year and probably maps best to Will.  But I have a sneaking suspicion that Leonard and George will be by far the best of the bunch this year, so getting them on the field at the same time is a good idea...

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Luck

Mack

Lewis is only 265ish.. only in absolute passing situations could he possibly be playing inside. He'll be Simons back up with Turay and Basham on Sheards side. Basham got put on notice with the Turay and Lewis picks imo.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Luck

Mack

Disagree on the Smith part. I think he's an automatic starter. 

28 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Lewis is only 265ish.. only in absolute passing situations could he possibly be playing inside. He'll be Simons back up with Turay and Basham on Sheards side. Basham got put on notice with the Turay and Lewis picks imo.

Hes played both inside and out. 

15 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Disagree on the Smith part. I think he's an automatic starter. 

I doubt it. Mewhort is a very good guard. He has just been injured. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

I'm thinking for the O-line it goes like this:

LG: Nelson

RG: Mewhort if healthy, either Slauson or Smith if not

RT: Haeg or Good (whoever plays better in training camp and preseason) 

Agreed