Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Jones

Scott Pennock

I think everyone forgets that this guy is pretty talented - but had a fumbling issue (which can be corrected). Big dude at 6'2" and 230+ who ran a 4.55 at his pro day. So he can move a little too. I believe CB saw the talent last year and knew with some coaching he could be the player the Redskins thought they were getting in the 3rd Round that year (2015).....

Ballard mentioned Jones (something like we really like Jones and what he's worked hard on), specifically, in a presser this year when queried about the draft and drafting a RB high....then there is this article which sheds some light on the situation as well.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/12/07/colts-running-back-matt-jones-here-today-gone-tomorrow/920844001/

In that draft Gurley, Yeldon. David Johnson, Melvin Gordon, Amir Abdullah, Tevin Campbell and Duke Johnson were drafted prior to him and the only true producer after him was Ajaya.

I still feel with the MOST PRESSING needs of DE, OL, LB, CB and WR that a combo of Mack, Jones and Turbin would work just fine this year. Perhaps a late rounder like Royce Freeman or a Ryan Nall to throw in the mix as competition BUT the FO needs to spend the premium picks on an olineman, a starting outside WR and the rest on defense!

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, DonnieDarko1023 said:

As a Colts fan from the DC area.......Matt Jones is a beast but he is a fumbling machine......like the more he has the ball the more likely he’s going to fumble......a.....fumbling......machine

I understand that and I'd be willing to bet that was what CB's focus was on when signing Jones and basically red shirting him - hold on to the ball! Perhaps film of Tiki Barber.....

37 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I think everyone forgets that this guy is pretty talented - but had a fumbling issue (which can be corrected). Big dude at 6'2" and 230+ who ran a 4.55 at his pro day. So he can move a little too. I believe CB saw the talent last year and knew with some coaching he could be the player the Redskins thought they were getting in the 3rd Round that year (2015).....

Ballard mentioned Jones (something like we really like Jones and what he's worked hard on), specifically, in a presser this year when queried about the draft and drafting a RB high....then there is this article which sheds some light on the situation as well.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/12/07/colts-running-back-matt-jones-here-today-gone-tomorrow/920844001/

In that draft Gurley, Yeldon. David Johnson, Melvin Gordon, Amir Abdullah, Tevin Campbell and Duke Johnson were drafted prior to him and the only true producer after him was Ajaya.

I still feel with the MOST PRESSING needs of DE, OL, LB, CB and WR that a combo of Mack, Jones and Turbin would work just fine this year. Perhaps a late rounder like Royce Freeman or a Ryan Nall to throw in the mix as competition BUT the FO needs to spend the premium picks on an olineman, a starting outside WR and the rest on defense!

He looks slow.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

In that same presser Ballard didn’t mention Turbin so is he really in the teams future plans? Turbin might be out the door

Apologies...   this will be a long post..  so buckle-up!

I confess I'm curious about Jones...   can we turn him into sonething?    

Maybe.

But I don't think we can overlook two points...    one...   Ballard released him 2-3 times late last year only to reclaim him the following week.    So, as much as Ballard might like Jones he was willing -- several times -- to risk losing him to another team who could have claimed Jones.

The other point is this....   the 17 and 18 classes of running backs might be the best back to back classes of backs in history.   If not, it's got to be on the short list.   So, for me, to pass on a RB and end up with Marlin Mack as the only back we take for two years would be HUGELY disappointing.   And I really like Mack.    As a team, we lack play makers.   Frank Reich has publicly said he wants the Colts to be a top-10 running team this year.   That's not going to happen with a group of Mack, Jones, Turpin and whoever.   We need more.

I love Freeman.   Would be thrilled to get him at 4.   Heck, I'd be fine with him at 3.  But I don't want a lesser back in the 5th round.   I don't want a guy who may or may not turn into something.

I'm hoping we take a quality back as early as pick 49 or pick 67 or as late as pick 104.    But I don't want to get cute or clever.  Don't over-think this.   Don't out-kick your coverage!

Get a quality playmaking back in rounds 2,  3 or 4 and move on with the rest of the draft!

Sorry....    rant over...

• Like 2

Jones has a great deal of potential...that’s why he is on the team. That said he has been disappointing so far in his career. He will have an opportunity like everyone else this offseason...but that will in no way stop us from taking anyone in this draft if Ballard thinks it will make this team better.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Apologies...   this will be a long post..  so buckle-up!

I confess I'm curious about Jones...   can we turn him into sonething?    

Maybe.

But I don't think we can overlook two points...    one...   Ballard released him 2-3 times late last year only to reclaim him the following week.    So, as much as Ballard might like Jones he was willing -- several times -- to risk losing him to another team who could have claimed Jones.

The other point is this....   the 17 and 18 classes of running backs might be the best back to back classes of backs in history.   If not, it's got to be on the short list.   So, for me, to pass on a RB and end up with Marlin Mack as the only back we take for two years would be HUGELY disappointing.   And I really like Mack.    As a team, we lack play makers.   Frank Reich has publicly said he wants the Colts to be a top-10 running team this year.   That's not going to happen with a group of Mack, Jones, Turpin and whoever.   We need more.

I love Freeman.   Would be thrilled to get him at 4.   Heck, I'd be fine with him at 3.  But I don't want a lesser back in the 5th round.   I don't want a guy who may or may not turn into something.

I'm hoping we take a quality back as early as pick 49 or pick 67 or as late as pick 104.    But I don't want to get cute or clever.  Don't over-think this.   Don't out-kick your coverage!

Get a quality playmaking back in rounds 2,  3 or 4 and move on with the rest of the draft!

Sorry....    rant over...

I think one quality RB would do wonders for the offense. And I hope they draft him sooner than later. The talent will be there through round 3 at least. Get the right player and the Colts running game could be set for the next 5-6 years. Do nothing or take a flier on a late round hope  and the running game likely  remains mediocre. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I think one quality RB would do wonders for the offense. And I hope they draft him sooner than later. The talent will be there through round 3 at least. Get the right player and the Colts running game could be set for the next 5-6 years. Do nothing or take a flier on a late round hope  and the running game likely  remains mediocre. 

I'm sorry I can't give your post more than one like!     Really appreciate it!

9 hours ago, Hoose said:

Right on.  We can keep hoping that Jones or Michael live up to their expectations, or we can draft fresh legs.  

After Barkley, I think Guice is the clear #2, but he will probably be gone by our 2nd pick.  I’d like to see us get an inside the numbers runner, a complement to Mack and not the same type as him.  

• Like 1